Removed the Resonator

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by afici0nad0
yup, i do remember your comments. your answers were very helpful...
BTW, in a week or 2, I will be replacing the airbox with a pod, keeping the stock intake arm to see what effects are there. So stay tuned for that.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronng
Yup, I'm running the way you are describing but without capping the holes. It does sound like in between stock and fully-resonatorless.
Is there an easy way to make that disconnect? Remove the bumper? I'm wondering if there's just one flap that would let me reach up there....

Add to that the upper part of the Comptech, and who knows? :-) (Sounds like a good idea to me, except that I have a K&N filter and am concerned about fitment..)

Edit: Crossed posts.... Is a pod a replacement for the airbox, like the Comptech, or an additional air box? I've seen an aftermarket intake like that before, but I forget who makes it. And Honda's "Type S" intake for the Prelude had not only a larger airbox (like the Comptech), but a big box-like structure between the airbox and the engine. Impossible to describe, coz it looked weird and had plenty of curves and such. So, anyway, my point is, some people have felt that it was helpful to have additional volume ...
Old 08-09-2006, 12:41 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vidgamer
Is there an easy way to make that disconnect? Remove the bumper? I'm wondering if there's just one flap that would let me reach up there....
You still have to remove the resonator first, then remove the "J" pipe section and put it back into your intake path. With my 04, I could access the resonator's front bolt through the fog light cover (I didn't have fog lights). Just remove thewheel, wheel arch's liner (plastic clips and bolts underneath the bumper), full lock to the right and wiggle the resonator out.
If you have fogs or have an 06, you have to remove the whole bumper to access that last bolt.

Originally Posted by vidgamer
Edit: Crossed posts.... Is a pod a replacement for the airbox, like the Comptech, or an additional air box? I've seen an aftermarket intake like that before, but I forget who makes it. And Honda's "Type S" intake for the Prelude had not only a larger airbox (like the Comptech), but a big box-like structure between the airbox and the engine. Impossible to describe, coz it looked weird and had plenty of curves and such. So, anyway, my point is, some people have felt that it was helpful to have additional volume ...
Yes, I'm just taking off the airbox and putting in an Apexi power intake. I'll run this cheap SRI setup for a week or so while I make an enclosure for it. Once the enclosure is done, I'll run a pipe from the engine bay beneath the filter down to around the fog light cover area.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
so, finally, after months of discussion, i removed the resonator.

method of attack was via front-bumper-remove. no jack needed, and no wheel removal needed. the front bumper was very easy to remove. i was surpised. other than, i think, 4 bolts, the bumper is secured using clips.

removed the bumper, and immediately saw the resonator, and the pesky bolt many were describing when using the front-wheel-remove method.

removing that bolt was easy enough with the front bumper gone. the problem was, my 10mm socket had been stripped, and removing the bolt beside the front wheel was a pain in the ass. i gave up, and asked my neighbor for their socket set. if it weren't for my stripped socket, i would've been completely finished with the mod in maybe 1.5hrs. max.

then removed the resonator and the piping. installed the front bumper, clips, yada yada yada...

the car sounds very nice now past 3000rpms at wot. i can't tell if there is a difference in performance yet. i'll have to drive it a little more.

question: i left the snorkel bolted to the battery shelf/radiator intact and in the car. did you guys remove this piece of piping too? i saw where the bolt was located, and i said, "screw it..."
Old 01-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Advanced

I figured I would throw in my ten cents....

Took off the bumper and removed the resonator... I practically broke all the clips ...

Anyway, the sound past 3-3500 is nice... If nothing else changed.... the response has improved and the power at 2800-3000 seems at bit stronger...

I left that snorkel in as well...
Old 01-10-2008, 03:28 AM
cl9alltheway

btw sorry stupid question what is WOT?
Old 01-10-2008, 05:31 AM
Ticket Slow Drivers

wide open throttle
Old 01-10-2008, 05:40 AM
I can't find my garage

holy moly...its been two years!
Old 02-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have to put the J pipe back in the car? or can you leave it out?
I just took my resonator box out today and was wondering cause its not really clear, or i may have missed it in this forum