Removed the Resonator

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 04:02 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did the same thing and put the pipe back. I regained the 1000rpm torque that I lost earlier, and the 2500-3000rpm booming sound is just barely there. Powerwise, I think it is better at low RPM and also a hint better at 2500-4000rpm. Above 4000rpm, I prefer not having the J pipe. SRI, here I come. I hope the SRI doesn't cause the vibrations to return.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:43 AM
Pro

I'm thinking about going back to the stock airbox w/ K&N drop in filter + no resonator. Hopefully that setup will be quieter than my current Injen CAI, as that it is becoming too loud for my taste.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:43 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
i took the plunge and removed my resonator today so that i can FINALLY switch my injen intake to CAI mode. it was kind of a bitch to get that one bolt off but i managed. all i have left to do now is wait for my air filter to air dry, oil it and then let it dry again and then throw on the filter and reclip the wheel well cover. i'm looking forward to finally sucking in some cold air instead of that hot ass air from the engine bay. i will make sure to report my seat in the pants report as well as any differences in sound from the switch from short ram to CAI
Old 06-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does anyone know what the inside of the resonator looks like? does it have baffels that would slow air from comming in?

i have the drop in K&N.. i plan on keeping it.. but instead of removing the resonator, im thinking about improving it 1st.

anyone opened they're old resonators up?
Old 06-13-2006, 03:41 PM
Burning Brakes

so there's no harm done with removing resonator?
why did they put resonator in the car in the first place?

i already installed icebox...just curious
Old 06-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder what the difference is between the icebox and taking off the resonatore, aren't they virtually the same thing?
Old 06-13-2006, 03:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SimpleWhite
I wonder what the difference is between the icebox and taking off the resonatore, aren't they virtually the same thing?
Not quite, the Icebox installation also includes a replacement air filter lid that is higher volume than stock.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:52 PM
Intermediate

damn i never knew you were supposed to take that whole thing out lol. i just ripped out the j-pipe. which seems to be the connection pipe to the resonator.

(i have an 05' accord)
Old 06-14-2006, 07:39 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Built B16A
does anyone know what the inside of the resonator looks like? does it have baffels that would slow air from comming in?

i have the drop in K&N.. i plan on keeping it.. but instead of removing the resonator, im thinking about improving it 1st.

anyone opened they're old resonators up?
The resonator is not inline with the air stream. It is a parallel component and does nothing to impede the flow of air. It's purpose is to just cancel noise in the intake system.

There are no worthwhile modifications to be made to it. You can remove it and then cap off the two connections on the intake pipe. The intake pipe itself also has a number of resonators and chambers attached to it, though they are small and molded into the design of the pipe.

It is conceivable that the use of resonance to cancel intake noise will reduce some of "ram effect" available in the intake pipe because it cancels some of the pulses and introduces turbulence.

The difference in power it makes is insignificant really. However if you like the sound, go for it...
Old 06-14-2006, 10:46 PM
Burning Brakes

The TOV guys dynoed a 5 hp increase just by removing the resonator (not sure what filter though). http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...&page_number=4

Here's an old thread that mentions it: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3472

The resonator is not inline with the air stream. It is a parallel component and does nothing to impede the flow of air. It's purpose is to just cancel noise in the intake system.
That's interesting that the resonator isn't in the way of the intake's air path. I wonder where the restrictions are then?
Old 06-14-2006, 10:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Hydrolocking was mentioned earlier... How high up is the stock inlet? Is even the Comptech inlet lower? For those of us paranoid of water (HEY, look at where I live!), I'd like to not go lower than stock....
Old 06-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by vidgamer
The TOV guys dynoed a 5 hp increase just by removing the resonator (not sure what filter though).
After doing our baseline runs, both cars were also subjected to our traditional intake mod test, whereby we tweak the stock airboxes (or remove them) to see if there is any power lurking in the intake. The answer? A resounding yes. The TSX gained about 5 hp while the Accord picked up nearly 7. Imagine what a proper cold air intake will do!
not bad for a free mod...
Old 06-14-2006, 11:28 PM
Drifting

Hydrolocking was mentioned earlier... How high up is the stock inlet? Is even the Comptech inlet lower? For those of us paranoid of water (HEY, look at where I live!), I'd like to not go lower than stock....
i think you'd be ok. see post #55...
Old 06-15-2006, 12:12 AM
Advanced

extra step

I just purchased the ice box. I have a week until it arrives and was wondering if removing the resonator is a step involved in installing the ice box or if it will help it get more air? i suppose either way I can't loose since I have a week to get the damn thing out!
Old 06-15-2006, 09:17 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by buckeye78
I just purchased the ice box. I have a week until it arrives and was wondering if removing the resonator is a step involved in installing the ice box or if it will help it get more air? i suppose either way I can't loose since I have a week to get the damn thing out!
Yes, removing the resonator is one of the steps in installing the icebox. The lower air horn (snorkel) for the icebox will go where the resonator is now.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:35 AM
Pro

That's interesting that the resonator isn't in the way of the intake's air path. I wonder where the restrictions are then?
I sort of posed this theory earlier. It probably has more to do with turbulence in the pipe from all the little ports on the side that lead to these resonator chambers, combined with the dampening of pressure pulses, and to a lesser extent, the lack of an air horn at the entry point (behind the driver's headlight).

However the pipe itself is wide open from atmosphere to air filter--no restrictions, no abrupt changes in diameter, etc.

There's that... or it could be that TOV (or whoever) conducted an invalid test with inaccurate equipment, or environmental factors that were unaccounted for.

Either way, a shorter pipe might yield more power way up high, but it will hurt power lower in the RPM range. Despite the intake system's mass-produced appearance, it is indeed a tuned and integral part of the engine.

This weekend I'm going to work on a smooth and resonator-less intake pipe that follows the path of the stock unit. I want to keep the stock engineered intake tube length, but I'm sorta growing to like the sound of having no resonator.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by junktionfet
This weekend I'm going to work on a smooth and resonator-less intake pipe that follows the path of the stock unit. I want to keep the stock engineered intake tube length, but I'm sorta growing to like the sound of having no resonator.
I drove PixelHarmony's 04 TSX last night, with Injen in SRI, after I installed his coilovers and right after I drove my resonatorless 04 TSX... all I can say is the volume of air just isn't there in my resonatorless setup and I have the K&N drop in. Looks like I need to install a Comptech Icebox or Injen.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:34 PM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by afici0nad0
not bad for a free mod...
They took off the airbox..... That means it was running filterless! 5hp from running without the airbox is not much.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:16 PM
Advanced

resonator

Ok..... removed the resonator this morning, man what a sound difference!
There is a little loss of power below 1500 rpm like mentioned before but it sounds so much better! This is also some vibration I can feel but hopefully when my icebox
gets here it will help to eliminate some of that.

For those of you that used K&N drop in for the icebox is it the same one you use for the stock airbox?
Old 06-16-2006, 07:25 PM
Team Owner

For those of you that used K&N drop in for the icebox is it the same one you use for the stock airbox?
It is the same K&N drop in. However, some have had fitment issues with the K&N filter and the Icebox lid, myself included. Here is a way to get a snug fit: http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25198
Old 06-18-2006, 11:09 PM
Instructor

ok... i took the plunge and removed my resonator box..

and i made my own DIY cold air.. hehe..

when taking the resonator box out, and the J or U pipe out.. i was just going to leave just the little rubber 90 degree boot from the air box there.. but then i realized.. the U tube was the same diamater.. so i cut it in half with a hacksaw.. and connected it.. and its really similar to the comptech one. so with my drop in K&N.. i feel like i saved my self 150 bucks.

also, i used a dremel, and cut the back of the grille insert to allow flow AND THIS AWSOME PICTURE! HAHA

Old 06-18-2006, 11:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice low cost intake system.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:12 AM
Racer

Good Job man! you made yourself a no cost cold air intake!

one quick question, how did you cut the grille insert and what kind of tools did you use?
i'm trying to do the same with my 04 tsx which is the fog light cover but i'm afraid that i'll mess it up with in-proper tools.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:52 AM
Synaesthesia sounds sweet

try a da sander. I was going to use a dremel on my 04 but realized I could easily slip and might scratch the insert.

So, a buddy of mine and I just sanded down the backside of the insert until the plastic was gone. Required much less finesse.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:56 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Schizm
try a da sander. I was going to use a dremel on my 04 but realized I could easily slip and might scratch the insert.

So, a buddy of mine and I just sanded down the backside of the insert until the plastic was gone. Required much less finesse.

schizm are you running a CAI?
Old 06-19-2006, 09:59 AM

nope, just removed the resonator. I wanted to get some cooler air into that cavity were the resonator used to sit.

I'm going to look at the J-tube (I think that's what ppl are calling it) and see if I can do the same as B16A did on his 06.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Instructor

when i cut my insert, i used a cut off wheel, and just cut the backs off around the inside of the insert.

the only think im considering.. is getting one of those horn velosity stack style tube.. after that, im set. (similar to the comptech J pipe)
Old 06-19-2006, 02:42 PM
Team Owner

Anyone know how much an insert costs?
Old 06-19-2006, 03:29 PM

Acuraparts247.com has them for $11.63 a piece for a 2004
Old 06-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Pro

When I build my custom resonator-less intake pipe, I'm going to try use a flared speaker port from PartsExpress... like this one:

...or this one:

Hopefully it will provide the same benefits as a real "velocity stack" or air horn.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:36 AM
Instructor

ive been having some serious thoughts about this new intake setup.. and im going to try and incorporate a hose, that would directly fit over that right side grill insert, and feed the airbox directly..

if i take my bumper off agian, and do soemthing, i'll be sure to show pics.

the thought comes from i think DC2 integra's.. ive seen carbon fiber replacement inserts that you can use to feed the intake.. however they'res are on the right hand side..
Old 06-20-2006, 02:37 AM
Instructor

im not asking for that.. but i want to utilize the concept and use my grill insert to connect it to the air box.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok..... removed the resonator this morning, man what a sound difference!
There is a little loss of power below 1500 rpm like mentioned before but it sounds so much better! This is also some vibration I can feel but hopefully when my icebox
gets here it will help to eliminate some of that.
I had my resonator out for about two months and I can't say I noticed any gain/loss of power. However with it out, at ~1700rpm (5AT) the engine seemed to hang for a split second under hard acceleration. Sounded good, but I was on the fence between putting it back in and giving the icebox a shot. I opted for the box, hell, the resonator was already out.

I've had the icebox in a week now and again, no noticeable gain/loss in power, but the engine seems to spool up quicker and smoother - the momentary pause I was experiencing is gone. Sounds better too. Also, I don't notice the slight vibration that I did with just the resonator removed.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Burning Brakes

At Pepboys, they had some "build your own custom intake" parts, including a flared inlet tube. Just the flared inlet was something like $22! Yikes. Still, probably a lot cheaper getting such parts than a full CAI...

I'm not sure that I'd bother connecting the intake directly to a scoop in the bumper. For one thing, I've read that you don't get much of a "ram air" effect unless you're going pretty fast already. But that would really worry me going through puddles! I guess a more general question is, how much higher is the stock intake? Where's the stock inlet? I guess I'll find out if/when I get around to removing the resonator....
Old 07-03-2006, 05:02 PM
Pro

Open the hood and look behind the driver side headlight. There is a round plastic cover that's riveted to the front bulkhead. Beneath that is the stock inlet. In fact, the stock inlet tube is fastened by a rubber mount that threads in beneath the battery tray.

Though that plastic cover looks like some kind of air shroud, I've removed mine to take a look and it really doesn't help in that department. Honda missed a perfect opportunity to duct fresh air into the intake system, but for some reason they didn't. I suppose though the air temp isn't too bad once you're going down the road--there would be plenty of unheated air rushing in from beside the radiator and around the headlights.

Even with the resonator in place, the intake does make a bit more noise with that plastic cover removed. I suppose the only purpose of that piece is to prevent objects from falling into the intake tube. I'm sure it adds to the turbulence around the inlet port, not the best for maximum performance.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:03 PM
Drifting

so, for those who have removed the resonator, and kept the stock intake since the inception of this thread...

- any complaints/interesting tidbits so far?
- have you decided to just slap on the aftermarket cai/sri/icebox?
- actually re-installed the resonator? reason? i read one comment from one member, any others?
Old 08-08-2006, 05:58 AM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by afici0nad0
so, for those who have removed the resonator, and kept the stock intake since the inception of this thread...

- any complaints/interesting tidbits so far?
- have you decided to just slap on the aftermarket cai/sri/icebox?
- actually re-installed the resonator? reason? i read one comment from one member, any others?
Read my posts in page 3 and page 4. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...3&page=3&pp=25
Old 08-08-2006, 06:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Hmm, re-reading the messages, I was wondering if there's a way to disconnect the resonator, but leave the stock inlet alone, and get the resonator-removal benefit. That way, I can try it without going to so much effort. (Someone said something about "capping off" the holes that normally connect to the resonator?)
Old 08-08-2006, 08:09 AM
Driver/Detailer

Hmm, re-reading the messages, I was wondering if there's a way to disconnect the resonator, but leave the stock inlet alone, and get the resonator-removal benefit. That way, I can try it without going to so much effort. (Someone said something about "capping off" the holes that normally connect to the resonator?)
Yup, I'm running the way you are describing but without capping the holes. It does sound like in between stock and fully-resonatorless.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by aaronng
Read my posts in page 3 and page 4. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...3&page=3&pp=25
yup, i do remember your comments. your answers were very helpful...

Quick Reply: Removed the Resonator