The only mod i havn't seen anyone complete yet.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 05:30 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only mod i havn't seen anyone complete yet.

Ok so it's done now. If anyone has done this before, let me know. but so far no one has done this yet. Sooooooo. . . . .

ok enough suspense. I changed all the leds in the side view mirrors to white. If anyone has tried this before then you know how hard it is. You can not heat the lenses and seporate them so it's almost impossible to get to the led's. So without further writing more. here are the pics. they don't look as good because i had to try and time it right.

Old 12-22-2006, 06:03 AM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
cool
Old 12-22-2006, 07:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

pretty neat looking!
Old 12-22-2006, 08:18 AM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Daft!
I mean as more than just a light, they are a basic functional item on cars relating to safety of yourself and other road users. There's a reason indicators are coloured orange ALL round the world - it's a universally accepted colour that everyone recognises as meaning someone's indicating to make a turn or manoeuvre such as overtaking.
Not EVERYTHING on your car has to be modified, and there's very good reason you've never seen this modification done before - no-one else is daft enough to have done because common sense kicked in before the toolbox was opened!
Old 12-22-2006, 08:38 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,755 Likes on 2,536 Posts
did you take any pictures while doing it.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PJS
Daft!
I mean as more than just a light, they are a basic functional item on cars relating to safety of yourself and other road users. There's a reason indicators are coloured orange ALL round the world - it's a universally accepted colour that everyone recognises as meaning someone's indicating to make a turn or manoeuvre such as overtaking.
Not EVERYTHING on your car has to be modified, and there's very good reason you've never seen this modification done before - no-one else is daft enough to have done because common sense kicked in before the toolbox was opened!

but aren't our rear turn signals just blinking red? i think people would be able to understand that a light on the mirror that is blinking indicates an upcoming turn or merge. and besides, not all cars have the mirror lights. it isn't as if he modified his tail signals to "not work" or to blink "invisibly"
Old 12-22-2006, 10:03 AM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Yes, US practice of most cars flashing the tail lights instead of a dedicated amber indicator light design has been accepted due to length of time it's been common practice, but coming head on and seeing white flashing light at almost eye-level has little or no meaning since any car equipped with indicators in the wing mirrors are coloured amber.
There was a very good safety reason why Mercedes Benz invented and applied the concept of mirror mounted indictors - other drives could easily see a flashing amber light signalling the turning driver's intentions. Front indicators were/are often lost in the glare of headlights.

I just hope he never has an accident where the other party claim they couldn't tell he was indicating.
Besides, isn't there some legislation that makes indicators amber? If so, then this could lead to trouble with no-nonsense traffic police.

Each to their own I guess!
Old 12-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Synaesthesia sounds sweet

Originally Posted by PJS
There's a reason indicators are coloured orange ALL round the world - it's a universally accepted colour that everyone recognises as meaning someone's indicating to make a turn or manoeuvre such as overtaking.

You mean that people other than myself actually use their signals?!?
Old 12-22-2006, 10:55 AM
05 6speed tsx!

Thumbs up

sooo...how did u do it? that looks pretty cool
Old 12-22-2006, 11:35 AM
The Power of a Grill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what a rediculous argument. getting sued because of different colored lights on mirrors...
standards are still in place - there would be no case at all. That's like saying someone can sue you because you put a wing on your trunk lid and it blocks the middle brake light in the window. "i couln't tell he was braking even though the brake lights on his trunk came on!!"
Old 12-22-2006, 11:36 AM
Special-K

Originally Posted by PJS
Yes, US practice of most cars flashing the tail lights instead of a dedicated amber indicator light design has been accepted due to length of time it's been common practice, but coming head on and seeing white flashing light at almost eye-level has little or no meaning since any car equipped with indicators in the wing mirrors are coloured amber.
There was a very good safety reason why Mercedes Benz invented and applied the concept of mirror mounted indictors - other drives could easily see a flashing amber light signalling the turning driver's intentions. Front indicators were/are often lost in the glare of headlights.

I just hope he never has an accident where the other party claim they couldn't tell he was indicating.
Besides, isn't there some legislation that makes indicators amber? If so, then this could lead to trouble with no-nonsense traffic police.

Each to their own I guess!

I thought the front headlights had amber signals as well.. wouldnt that be good enough?
Old 12-22-2006, 11:38 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Looks alright. I'd still put yellow rockblocker film on the signals.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:00 PM
B A N N E D

Here in jacksonville turn signals are optional.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:14 PM
my acura sanctuary

Wicked, do your mirror lights only come on as turn signals or are they functioning as running lights? running lights would be very sweet.

I happen to agree with those leaning toward functionality since mirror signals are intended for other vehicles on the sides of your car to know that you are turning. yes we have front turn indicators next to the headlights. but has anyone noticed that they are *very* difficult to see when the headlights are on?-they are barely noticeable! And flashing amber is better understood as a turn signal (in 2006 but that is slowly changing.)

good work getting it done.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:19 PM
05' NHB TSX

Originally Posted by San-AnT
what a rediculous argument. getting sued because of different colored lights on mirrors...
standards are still in place - there would be no case at all. That's like saying someone can sue you because you put a wing on your trunk lid and it blocks the middle brake light in the window. "i couln't tell he was braking even though the brake lights on his trunk came on!!"
What standards are you referring to?

You also make a ridiculous (rediculous is not a word) argument.

The only reason it would be hard to sue someone if they don't have the high mount brake light visible and you get into an accident as a result is because you are suppose to maintain your stopping distance.

So if your car has a oversize wing on it without brake lights, and it does in-fact block the high mount brake light. Then they rear end you, they will get the ticket, BUT you will also get a ticket for not having visible high mount brake lights. So yes they can take you to court but they will not because you can prove they were more at fault.

Can you get into trouble for having white mirror turn signal? Yes (there is always that damn cop somewhere that wants to pick on you)

You can however argue that since the mirror turn signal are optional and you already have amber front turn signal. You might get away with it. Getting sued because of this mod is very unlikly but ppl have gone to court for way less.

btw I like the mod. Good job.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:37 PM
The Power of a Grill

Originally Posted by MichaelkTSX
What standards are you referring to?

You also make a ridiculous (rediculous is not a word) argument.

The only reason it would be hard to sue someone if they don't have the high mount brake light visible and you get into an accident as a result is because you are suppose to maintain your stopping distance.

So if your car has a oversize wing on it without brake lights, and it does in-fact block the high mount brake light. Then they rear end you, they will get the ticket, BUT you will also get a ticket for not having visible high mount brake lights. So yes they can take you to court but they will not because you can prove they were more at fault.

Can you get into trouble for having white mirror turn signal? Yes (there is always that damn cop somewhere that wants to pick on you)

You can however argue that since the mirror turn signal are optional and you already have amber front turn signal. You might get away with it. Getting sued because of this mod is very unlikly but ppl have gone to court for way less.

btw I like the mod. Good job.
standards: DOT required front and rear turn signals.
if your trunk brake lights work, then you will not get a ticket for not having a visible high mount brake light. they are not DOT required for all cars.

options, especially on higher end cars, are changing quickly. the cops are not able to keep up with all the changes. for instance, my car has DRL. I was in line to get into a parking lot at night and the cop came up to me and asked me to turn off my headlights and leave my DRLs on so that they could see. He said specifically "DRLs". he obviosly didn't know that they were not standard. to boot, they are yellow and not white. So unless the cop has a tsx and is in a really, really bad mood. he has no justification for writing you a ticket. what is he going to write? ummm, optional lighting is wrong color. he must have fun writing tickets to IS250s with yellow fogs.

to get sued, you have to get a lawyer to take a case. most lawyers, as crooked as they may be, don't like getting laughed out of court for saying that an optional turn signal was the wrong color even though the standard, DOT approved signals were working perfect.

rediculious is a word. it's just spelled wrong.

I also like the mod.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:16 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by San-AnT
I dont know about getting sued, but I'm sure white blinkers just screams "pull me over" to a cop.

Theirs a reason why some mods are never done.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:03 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Es hat Euch allen wirklich Spass gemacht
Old 12-22-2006, 04:08 PM
Burning Brakes

pjs... ur argument is wierd....

I would only concern him because cops can pull you over for "impersonating an official viechle (however u spell it...=P its friday)" perhaps if u have white lights, which is why really blue headlights might get you in trouble as well as having flashing or strobing bright lights, as well as having underglow lights which can also get you in trouble for "distracting other drivers" or some bs. The mod itself isn't that "illeagal" per say.

However, I think the mod is hot thought. Two thumbs up.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:16 PM
Senior Moderator

This thraed is fraughte with missspelings! Gramar Peeple!
Old 12-22-2006, 04:24 PM
White-Ebony-6spd

Old 12-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Reach
This thraed is fraughte with missspelings! Gramar Peeple!

Old 12-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Intermediate

Hopefully you're not in Canada because you'd get booked by the cops for that.
They usually let stuff go but the more you have done to your car, (rims, lowered, exhaust, etc) the more you become a target.
Once you get pulled over ...... the charges start to add up!
Old 12-22-2006, 05:25 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PJS

Originally Posted by PrecyseStylez
I thought the front headlights had amber signals as well.. wouldnt that be good enough?
They do, but see the bold wording above.
Also made car lines look better and panels cheaper to manufacture without the obligatory hole for the side indicators on the front wings.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:27 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Schizm

You mean that people other than myself actually use their signals?!?
Of course!
Oh, hang on - almost forgot, except BMW drivers. And bus drivers. And taxi drivers. And.....
Old 12-22-2006, 08:33 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PJS
Daft!
You seem upset
Old 12-22-2006, 08:37 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
so are you going tell us how to do it? that looks nice but I dont wanna deal with pigs.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:40 PM
Instructor

Ok, everyone is making too big a deal about this. I did the mod, and if you don't like it then please look at a different thread. I like individualism and also hate yellow and orange. So therefore i did this mod. If you want something to argue about, I'm very possitive that people beside me and coming at me are going to be able to see this very bright light on the side of my car better than the dim yellow light that was there before. Also i cleared my headlights as well so you can see the blinkers flash very clearly in my headlights even with my 10,000K HID's on. Sorry i didn't take pictures of this. but basically I took my dremal and cut the whole back out of the lense and pulled out the stock board, then unsoldered the 2 prongs on the board that connect to power. I soldered 2 thick wires to them and connected the other part to a board of led's i got from www.superbrightleds.com once everything was in place, i put back on the back of the housing i cut and used clear cement to seal it up. then put the light back in and plugged it in like stock. the whole thing only cost me one glass mirror because i was not careful and cracked it. so i will be paying $60. to the dealer sometime soon to get a new one. if anyone wants to do this, please message me before trying to get off the mirrors because they will come off without cracking but it's tricky.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:53 PM
Instructor

Excellent Mod! I like it. I was thinking about this kind of mod, I think i posted something about this 9 months ago but I got the same responces about the law. I've been trying to find this law in the ny dmv but haven't been able to. Anyway nice mod, Can we get some more pics ?^^
Old 12-22-2006, 08:58 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Originally Posted by PJS
Daft!
oh shut up captian reuglations. if u dont know a flashing frickin light means turning then u shouldn't be driving. dont be ghay noob.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:54 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Talking

Would this be the appropriate time to say "I love (read as, feck) you too!" ?
Or should I say that you have your opinion and I have mine, and that in the best interests of this site, we agree to accept each other's without resorting to petty squabbling?
I'll let you decide which 97CL, seeing as you're obviously NOT a.......how'd you phrase it?.......ah yes, "ghay noob".
Or was that a spelling mistake to go along with your 'captian' and 'reuglations' and you meant to say "gray nob*"?
I may be older, but I'm not grey yet!

I'm only too well aware that if I saw the white flashing light, that it would likely be an indicator (no guarantee though), but it's not me you should be concerned with, but rather the ones who feel it's okay to reach for their purse whilst travelling at 40 mph and approaching a junction with traffic lights. They're out there, and because they haven't tagged you yet, it doesn't mean they won't ever.

Oh silkk - I'm far from upset. I just don't feel the need to pour feint praise on what someone's done to their car when I feel it's unnecessary/inappropriate. All I was pointing out is that you may have some local State or national legislation which frowns upon this mod and if so, then it's been a waste of time and effort, and maybe even costly if pulled or in an accident.

* nob - an elegantly dressed man (often with affected manners); a person in a superior position in life; a nobleman.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:07 PM
mmmmmm....

^^ man, guys get over it!! just let it be. If you dont like it or well, no need to smash down on someone for what they done. Its their car and they can do whatever they want. Lets try to focus on the topic.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:08 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by WICKEDFX
Ok, everyone is making too big a deal about this. I did the mod, and if you don't like it then please look at a different thread. I like individualism and also hate yellow and orange. So therefore i did this mod. If you want something to argue about, I'm very possitive that people beside me and coming at me are going to be able to see this very bright light on the side of my car better than the dim yellow light that was there before. Also i cleared my headlights as well so you can see the blinkers flash very clearly in my headlights even with my 10,000K HID's on. Sorry i didn't take pictures of this. but basically I took my dremal and cut the whole back out of the lense and pulled out the stock board, then unsoldered the 2 prongs on the board that connect to power. I soldered 2 thick wires to them and connected the other part to a board of led's i got from www.superbrightleds.com once everything was in place, i put back on the back of the housing i cut and used clear cement to seal it up. then put the light back in and plugged it in like stock. the whole thing only cost me one glass mirror because i was not careful and cracked it. so i will be paying $60. to the dealer sometime soon to get a new one. if anyone wants to do this, please message me before trying to get off the mirrors because they will come off without cracking but it's tricky.
nice work but english please(hardwiring noob, dont get what you were saying)!! Maybe you should make a DYI thread by step by step. Its really nice mod so I'm sure that people would love to see how its done.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:32 PM
Read Matt. 24 3-14

Originally Posted by PJS
Daft!
.... hahahahahaha pimpin lights man... I thinkthis guy is a little
Old 12-22-2006, 10:36 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
^^ man, guys get over it!! just let it be. If you dont like it or well, no need to smash down on someone for what they done. Its their car and they can do whatever they want. Lets try to focus on the topic.

Didn't you see the green above?
Ever heard of something called banter?
As you guys like to say, "it's all good".
Old 12-22-2006, 10:52 PM
Read Matt. 24 3-14

Originally Posted by PJS
seeing as you're obviously NOT a.......how'd you phrase it?.......ah yes, "ghay noob".
Or was that a spelling mistake to go along with your 'captian' and 'reuglations' and you meant to say "gray nob*"?

* nob - an elegantly dressed man (often with affected manners); a person in a superior position in life; a nobleman.
You TSXer's are hillarious
Old 12-22-2006, 11:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PJS
Would this be the appropriate time to say "I love (read as, feck) you too!" ?
Or should I say that you have your opinion and I have mine, and that in the best interests of this site, we agree to accept each other's without resorting to petty squabbling?
I'll let you decide which 97CL, seeing as you're obviously NOT a.......how'd you phrase it?.......ah yes, "ghay noob".

I'm only too well aware that if I saw the white flashing light, that it would likely be an indicator (no guarantee though), but it's not me you should be concerned with, but rather the ones who feel it's okay to reach for their purse whilst travelling at 40 mph and approaching a junction with traffic lights. They're out there, and because they haven't tagged you yet, it doesn't mean they won't ever.

Oh silkk - I'm far from upset. I just don't feel the need to pour feint praise on what someone's done to their car when I feel it's unnecessary/inappropriate. All I was pointing out is that you may have some local State or national legislation which frowns upon this mod and if so, then it's been a waste of time and effort, and maybe even costly if pulled or in an accident.

Hahaha oh man i never thought i would read this. especially in someone defending themself. haha if you mistake him saying ghey noob for grey nob then you must be too old. But all in all I respect your opinion about the law and why the cars are made with yellow. But this forum is what it is, a place to see what others have done different to their cars. NOT STOCK!!! so just because you don't like it doesn't mean you need to try and give others such a hard time about it. Maybe some people don't like the type of wheels on your car, or anything you have done so far, or having the name pj's for a screen name for that matter. But i don't think everyone will give you as hard a time as you have me about it. And lighten up about the gramar. people type fast and miss stuff. and yes it's all good. Hope you have a better night than you have been having today reading this topic.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:54 PM
Instructor

Ok i have decided that if anyone lives in nor cal close to vacaville area, I will do your mirrors for free and do the write up for a D.I.Y. with pics. but you have to buy the parts first and i will tell you exactly what i used and bought for it.

ok so if you want to go ahead and start this, i used one 6 led bar from www.superbrightleds.com and also i used one led strip from the door handle light kit. You can buy it from this guy

http://motors.search.ebay.com/door-h...Z1QQsofocusZbs

so like i said if anyone wants this done free, hurry up. also just incase your mirror cracks, i won't be held responsible. but i learned how to do it right after the first one so i hope it won't. you can also email me at wickedfx1@yahoo.com
Old 12-23-2006, 12:07 AM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
cool man I always wanted to do this but didnt want to screw up my mirrors. Good job!
Old 12-23-2006, 01:05 AM
Racer

I'm still unclear of why we need the 6 LED bar and the door handle light strip. I notice he has a white door handle light strip, can we just replace our light with those 3 led instead?

Is this the 6 LED bar you are talking about?

Also if you can, I think some of us might want to know the trick of how to remove the mirror without breaking.

Quick Reply: The only mod i havn't seen anyone complete yet.