Oil catch can v2!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 03:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If your stock PCV is similar to this pic, then the catch can (closed loop) should be tapped to breather hose # 2.

Old 09-15-2005, 03:12 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by moda_way
Well JTso, just went out to check the catch can again, after a spirit night of drving last night... looks like the filter is a little brown now. So its at least working... but to what extent... well, the jury is still out.
I am sure you will see oil in there by the end of the week! I took a look at JTso's Quelude catch can and was like I have to get one of these soon! I bet if every car on the road had one of these we would see so much less smoke and better gas mileage.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:48 PM
Polar Chicken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its funny you did this, I was going to buy the Husky one but I figured it would take for ever to fill and be a waist. I am at 1 month with v1 and its full. Guess I should have spend the extra cash. U ever decide to make brackets for everone?
Old 09-16-2005, 01:35 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JTso
If your stock PCV is similar to this pic, then the catch can (closed loop) should be tapped to breather hose # 2.

seems like ur attached pic is a K24.

see below. part no. 13 is the supposed PCV. breather hose no. 14 is the one linking to the intake rubber hose. breather hose no. 15/16 (sori, bad image quality) is the one linking to the intake manifold.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:49 AM
Senior Moderator

#13 in your pic is not the PCV valve. It's the air bypass control valve which sends air to the injectors when coolant is cold, and it's regulated by coolant temp. That's why it's attached to the coolant passage. You need to look to the left side of the engine around the same location of the pic I posted. Don't worry about the intake manifold might look different than yours, but the location of the PCV valve should be the same. Just look under "breather tube" from the same place where you found the intake manifold pic.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CJams
I am sure you will see oil in there by the end of the week! I took a look at JTso's Quelude catch can and was like I have to get one of these soon! I bet if every car on the road had one of these we would see so much less smoke and better gas mileage.

End of the week and still not a drop in the bottom of the catch can. I've got 3k miles with the catch can on and 2k left before the next oil change; my decision point to keep the catch can or not. Honestly, the filter is the smallest bit brown, but nothing like JTso's or other's results. I was really hoping to see more.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:13 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

End of the week and still not a drop in the bottom of the catch can. I've got 3k miles with the catch can on and 2k left before the next oil change; my decision point to keep the catch can or not. Honestly, the filter is the smallest bit brown, but nothing like JTso's or other's results. I was really hoping to see more.
Mine collects a decent amount since I put it on 16000k miles ago, I usually empty it every 4 months or so. I don't know whether you not collecting oil is a good thing or bad thing like jtso said.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Did you also remove the gear inside the catch can to reduce the air flow restriction?
Old 09-16-2005, 11:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Did you also remove the gear inside the catch can to reduce the air flow restriction?

I followed your directions.

Yeah, I did.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by xizor
Mine collects a decent amount since I put it on 16000k miles ago, I usually empty it every 4 months or so. I don't know whether you not collecting oil is a good thing or bad thing like jtso said.
I agree with ya... not sure what the heck it means. Do you all just put your foot in it all the time? I mean, I do 80mph on the highway, but I don't VTEC it that much.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:13 AM
Suzuka Master

well, I just went and checked and the drain valve does have a little bit of oil (about 2 drops worth) in it. So at least we know it is working, but I gotta say, I'm not if the catch can is having as positive a effect for me as it is for you all. Maybe I simply don't need it since the amount I've had is barely enough to call vapor over 3000 miles of having it on.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator

If everything is checked out fine, then I wouldn't worry about it. Actually, I'd rather it didn't collect so much oil, so I'd have one less thing to deal with.

Btw, have you done the Hondata gasket install? Because the condition of the intake ports will tell you how much oil has been going through there.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:29 AM
Suzuka Master

If everything is checked out fine, then I wouldn't worry about it. Actually, I'd rather it didn't collect so much oil, so I'd have one less thing to deal with.

Btw, have you done the Hondata gasket install? Because the condition of the intake ports will tell you how much oil has been going through there.
I haven't but have been planning for it. That was also going to be my confirmation, so we're thinking the same thing. Just not sure I feel like doing a coolant change early, so I was going to wait until 60k.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:36 AM
Senior Moderator

No need to change coolant just for that. If you want, just drain enough coolant below the intake manifold to a catch pan. Then pour it back it using a funnel and let it past through a coffee filter to filter out any dirt during the draining process.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:39 AM
Suzuka Master

No need to change coolant just for that. If you want, just drain enough coolant below the intake manifold to a catch pan. Then pour it back it using a funnel and let it past through a coffee filter to filter out any dirt during the draining process.
Great idea, however, I'm probably just going to do a full flush. If I get anxious enough, I'll do it sooner rather than later and then do the hondata gasket.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:44 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

considering where the coolant drain is located and how it pours out, its easier to just let it all drain out so you don't get that crap all over you. it honestly has to be the worst place possible.

I though about reusing my coolant, but after it came out and hit the cross beam/splash shield while pouring out I figured i'd just get new fluid.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Yes, if you removed the drain plug completely, the coolant will go everywhere and can get messy. But if you only open the drain plug part way and perhaps attach a hose to the drain opening, it will drain directly into a container. However, if the coolant already has some mileage, then it makes sense to just replace it during the install.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:18 PM
Cruisin'

#13 in your pic is not the PCV valve. It's the air bypass control valve which sends air to the injectors when coolant is cold, and it's regulated by coolant temp. That's why it's attached to the coolant passage. You need to look to the left side of the engine around the same location of the pic I posted. Don't worry about the intake manifold might look different than yours, but the location of the PCV valve should be the same. Just look under "breather tube" from the same place where you found the intake manifold pic.
tink i got it.

btw, izit a must to vent it back to the intake manifold? any side effects if it's vent to atmosphere besides being environmental unfriendly?
Old 09-16-2005, 03:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by blurblur2
tink i got it.

btw, izit a must to vent it back to the intake manifold? any side effects if it's vent to atmosphere besides being environmental unfriendly?
Yup, that's it! Item #1 is the PCV valve and the catch can should tap into item #2. It depends on how the catch can is connected, if the "out" port is not connected to a vacuum source, than the "in" port (PCV valve) is not functional. Perhaps the reason the can is empty. Blow-by gases build-up in the crankcase could potentially contamining the motor oil.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:16 PM
Pro

I have a question regards to DIY oil catch can.
The can that I bought from Lowe's is pretty much the same as you guys, the filter for air compressor. However, I was reading through the sides of the package and it said that motor oil could possibly damaged the filter container.
I know that the can isn't gonna be expose to motor oil for 24/7 but will it be able to handle the oil?
Old 09-18-2005, 01:18 PM
Cruisin'

Yup, that's it! Item #1 is the PCV valve and the catch can should tap into item #2. It depends on how the catch can is connected, if the "out" port is not connected to a vacuum source, than the "in" port (PCV valve) is not functional. Perhaps the reason the can is empty. Blow-by gases build-up in the crankcase could potentially contamining the motor oil.
great info!

might opt for a Cusco or GReddy oil catch tank with all the necessary mounting bracket, hoses n stuff. thanx once again.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:02 AM
2007 LSM KB1 Tech w/CMBS

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
JTso, I have an '06 Civic EX with the R18 engine and I'm wondering if the catch can mod is somthing that needs to be done to the R series or is this a K series thing? Here's the breather tube / PCV valve assembly for the R18:

I'm assuming that the catch can assembly would replace part # 2. Thanks for your help---
Old 01-04-2007, 12:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by stevieray
JTso, I have an '06 Civic EX with the R18 engine and I'm wondering if the catch can mod is somthing that needs to be done to the R series or is this a K series thing? Here's the breather tube / PCV valve assembly for the R18:

I'm assuming that the catch can assembly would replace part # 2. Thanks for your help---
The catch can is not "needed" and everything will continue to work without it. People install it to reduce the amount of oil that ends up in the intake manifold and the combustion chambers. If the other end of part #2 goes to the intake manifold, then the catch can setup will replace the #2 hose, or optionally, splice it between the hose if placement allows.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:33 AM
2007 LSM KB1 Tech w/CMBS

The catch can is not "needed" and everything will continue to work without it. People install it to reduce the amount of oil that ends up in the intake manifold and the combustion chambers. If the other end of part #2 goes to the intake manifold, then the catch can setup will replace the #2 hose, or optionally, splice it between the hose if placement allows.
Good deal. If I understand this correctly, this is a mod that will help to prevent carbon buildup in the IM and combustion chambers as a result of oil burnoff. If so, I'm all for an ounce of preventon being worth a pound of cure. Thanks again.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Good deal. If I understand this correctly, this is a mod that will help to prevent carbon buildup in the IM and combustion chambers as a result of oil burnoff. If so, I'm all for an ounce of preventon being worth a pound of cure. Thanks again.
It prevents an oil film in the IM and various deposits in the combustion chambers. You aren't going to get carbon buildup in the IM. Remember, you are catching vapors. As for a cure, it is nothing in the short term and many Honda motors last 100k-200k miles and never need an oil catch can. It is purely for those of us "modders" to feel better. Excessive oil in the combustion chamber would be indicitive of some other problem.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:53 AM
2007 LSM KB1 Tech w/CMBS

It prevents an oil film in the IM and various deposits in the combustion chambers. You aren't going to get carbon buildup in the IM. Remember, you are catching vapors. As for a cure, it is nothing in the short term and many Honda motors last 100k-200k miles and never need an oil catch can. It is purely for those of us "modders" to feel better. Excessive oil in the combustion chamber would be indicitive of some other problem.
moda_way, thanks for the clarification. Think I may go make myself feel better this weekend.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:11 AM
Suzuka Master

moda_way, thanks for the clarification. Think I may go make myself feel better this weekend.
Have fun!!
Old 01-11-2007, 03:05 AM
8th Gear

damn this is a nice catch can, i finally figured out what a catch can is for
Old 03-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Port & Polish Everything

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
have you guys considered putting a 2nd catch can on the valve cover breather also?
Old 03-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by outersquare
have you guys considered putting a 2nd catch can on the valve cover breather also?
Not sure how effective is the 2nd catch can on the valve cover side as the air flow needs to go both directions. Air goes in the valve cover for normal PCV operation and air out when the PCV valve closes. I don't recall seeing enough oil in the throttle body to require a 2nd can yet. However, that could change if running F/I application.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:28 AM
Port & Polish Everything

i think the oil vapors are dissolving the teflon tape, turning the collected oil into sort of milky brown color.

originally i didn't use anything to seal the thread joints and the oil looked just like motor oil.

ed also i don't think it is moisture because i double checked all the seals and they are tight
Old 04-23-2007, 08:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Milky brown color is moisture in the oil, usually happens during cold start and short trips. I don't think the tape is dissolving though.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Advanced

JTso, quick question, what kind of hose are you using, and where did you get it, I was running some air pump line I picked up along with the catch can, and now after 2 weeks its starting to collapse on itself, went to the local auto store, they only sell vacuum line in 2 ft intervals
Old 07-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Senior Moderator

If the store doesn't have pcv hoses (I haven't seen them around for awhile), then use transmission cooler hoses in 3/8". They are more expensive than normal gas hoses but will not collapse under vacuum.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Does anyone with SC have a catch can?
I'd like to see what is involved since i have a different intake manifold.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Time to Climb

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
^ kenny, it never ends with you .... lol, i like your style