OEM Rear Backup Camera

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007 | 10:19 AM
RGSTRD TL & TSX Offdr

OEM Rear Backup Camera

Hi All,

I have been driving around with the TSX for almost six months now. I do a lot of parking in city areas and I hate the blind spot that the TSX has when in reverse. I was browsing around Handa Accessories and noticed that they have a Honda Back-Up Camera Kit for the new '08 Accord Sedan. The entire kit is under $400 and I would really be down to do the modification if it can be physically done.

I need someone who is more technically inclined to tell me if it can be done. Can it be added directly to the DVD unit and work out the box or plug and play? Would it sit flush above the license plate and look as if it were a stock feature on the TSX? Can I have a Acura dealer do the install (if applicable) for me since it is a Honda accessory?

I have enclosed the direct links to the product listing and the Honda instructions for the kit:

Product Listing

Instructions
Old 11-27-2007 | 12:34 PM
Racer

interestingly enough they also have an ambient lighting setup for the 08 accord...maybe that would work with the TSX as well....certainly would be sharp...sorry not trying to hijack the thread...
Old 11-27-2007 | 02:28 PM
10th Gear

I have looked into the backup camera option from the 2008 Accord also. From looking at the instructions the bracket where the camera mounts is in the same spot as where our "trunk latch button" is. On the 2008 Accord I don't think they have a trunk latch like how it is on the TSX. I know on my father's 2007 Accord there isn't a trunk latch. You have to use the remote control or the inside latch in order to open the trunk.

Originally Posted by slickrab
Hi All,

I have been driving around with the TSX for almost six months now. I do a lot of parking in city areas and I hate the blind spot that the TSX has when in reverse. I was browsing around Handa Accessories and noticed that they have a Honda Back-Up Camera Kit for the new '08 Accord Sedan. The entire kit is under $400 and I would really be down to do the modification if it can be physically done.

I need someone who is more technically inclined to tell me if it can be done. Can it be added directly to the DVD unit and work out the box or plug and play? Would it sit flush above the license plate and look as if it were a stock feature on the TSX? Can I have a Acura dealer do the install (if applicable) for me since it is a Honda accessory?

I have enclosed the direct links to the product listing and the Honda instructions for the kit:

Product Listing

Instructions
Old 11-27-2007 | 02:32 PM
B A N N E D

You can do it way cheaper than 400 dollars.
Search, there are threads on it.
Old 11-27-2007 | 03:12 PM
RGSTRD TL & TSX Offdr

Originally Posted by 925tsx
You can do it way cheaper than 400 dollars.
Search, there are threads on it.
Trust me when I tell you that I have seen every rear back-up camera installation on this site. I was looking for something plug and play and something that sits flush, looks professional, and stock. I was also looking for something that directly plugs into the DVD unit in the trunk. I don't know if you've read my post well and read the other threads on installation but most of them resort to the DOM's A/V unit.

I just read the instructions myself and remembered that there is the trunk latch and locking mechanism located in the desired are of install. I guess this won't work for us TSXers! I wish Acura had hooked us up from the start. Honda could do it for the soccer mom 2007 CRV, why not us? I guess I will have to keep looking for ideas or just grab the best looking install on this domain/
Old 12-08-2007 | 08:55 AM
2nd Gear

slickrab,
Did you consider the License Plate mountable cameras from e-bay like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=012
I am currently looking into buying one of those and I made a harness that supposed to plug directly into my DVD unit. The only thing I would have to do is to tap into the backup light power.
Old 12-08-2007 | 09:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by boviki
slickrab,
Did you consider the License Plate mountable cameras from e-bay like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=012
I am currently looking into buying one of those and I made a harness that supposed to plug directly into my DVD unit. The only thing I would have to do is to tap into the backup light power.
that looks pretty cool and the price is wayyy cool too ! i wonder if it's possible for the seller to post a picture or two on how it works on a LCD screen like our tsx. if you do get it please post pictures ! and how u like it as well
Old 12-08-2007 | 02:32 PM
Quarterlife Crisis....

^ ditto
Old 12-08-2007 | 03:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

we need someone on here willing to crank out some plug and play harnesses and sell them for $15 bucks...i would buy one
Old 02-19-2008 | 09:21 AM
Hybrid

Even the JDM Accord solution isn't very elegant...

http://www.honda.co.jp/ACCESS/automo...rd/safety.html