OBX pulleys?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question OBX pulleys?

i have been googling like a mad man to get some more insight one these pulleys. so does anyone have any experience with them? how would they compare to ralcos, nst, and URs?
Old 10-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
The UR are the only not-cheaply made ones out there...so I am sure OBX is as good as Ralco and NST, which is to say they are not as good as the UR.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by J_Phil
i have been googling like a mad man to get some more insight one these pulleys. so does anyone have any experience with them? how would they compare to ralcos, nst, and URs?
Cheap quality, poor quality control, etc etc. In the end you get what you pay for and when it comes to something that bolts onto your rotating assembly an improperly balanced part could be damaging.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:40 AM
Instructor

i essentially was going for the UR until a lil birdie started whispering in my ear could you give some specifics on what "lesser" quality entails in terms of what could possibly be "off" or possible consequences? im already sold i just need something to take back to that "birdie" lol

Last edited by J_Phil; 10-25-2012 at 04:43 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Former Sponsor

How about this...one company designed and makes their own parts, brings them to market, revises them over time, and that is all they do...billet pulleys and the like.

The other company largely sells stuff on eBay, sells anything that will sell from exhaust to billet parts to differentials and clutches to turbos. They don't make anything, they buy stuff cheap from China and rebox it.

Let's say the parts are the same...who deserves to get paid?
Old 10-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
How about this...one company designed and makes their own parts, brings them to market, revises them over time, and that is all they do...billet pulleys and the like.

The other company largely sells stuff on eBay, sells anything that will sell from exhaust to billet parts to differentials and clutches to turbos. They don't make anything, they buy stuff cheap from China and rebox it.

Let's say the parts are the same...who deserves to get paid?
tbh im not really so much about who "deserves" to get paid as i am concerned about quality, price, and peace of mind. the UR pulleys provide two of those while the competition by whatever means has managed to beat them by a wide margin on the other. that's how competition will work. just because you initially became the benchmark in your field and are priced by that notion, doesn't mean that someone else cant come in, remake what you made, and redistribute it at a more reasonable price. that's why i want to ask you guys if you have heard any horror stories or at least tell me some potential problems/mistakes with said cheapo pulleys. are they made from different material? misshapen? tendency to break? has demons in it? if it will do the same job with the same results, why pay for a name? im not trying to be difficult so sorry if i come off as it, but im sure you guys see where im coming from?
Old 10-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Former Sponsor

FWIW, the material and design are not the same and are definitely superior on the UR product.

But you already know what one you can rely on. You just want to save money which is understandable. Just gotta decide if it is worth compromising your other needs to save a relatively small amount of money.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:18 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd never waste money on a crank pulley unless your talking about something like Fluidampr or ATI. alternator pulley maybe... Gains are minimal. You should be looking elsewhere to make power
Old 10-25-2012, 10:15 PM
Former Sponsor

I dunno about that...you do get a little bump, no tuning needed. I don't know why you'd bother with a Fluidampr or ATI...I honestly believe the concern about harmonic vibration on these engines is completely unfounded.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by delslo9
I'd never waste money on a crank pulley unless your talking about something like Fluidampr or ATI. alternator pulley maybe... Gains are minimal. You should be looking elsewhere to make power
There was actually independent dynos done of the UR pulley set on the TSX and it made 10 whp and 11 wtq.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by J_Phil
tbh im not really so much about who "deserves" to get paid as i am concerned about quality, price, and peace of mind. the UR pulleys provide two of those while the competition by whatever means has managed to beat them by a wide margin on the other. that's how competition will work. just because you initially became the benchmark in your field and are priced by that notion, doesn't mean that someone else cant come in, remake what you made, and redistribute it at a more reasonable price. that's why i want to ask you guys if you have heard any horror stories or at least tell me some potential problems/mistakes with said cheapo pulleys. are they made from different material? misshapen? tendency to break? has demons in it? if it will do the same job with the same results, why pay for a name? im not trying to be difficult so sorry if i come off as it, but im sure you guys see where im coming from?
You pay for quality, not a name. Ask OBX or Ralco or whomever how they balance their pulleys. Are they 0 gram balanced like UR? Do they have quality control standards? Do you really want to take a chance with a crank pulley? This isn't just an intake.

Also, I've had firsthand experience with installing these cheaper brands. They don't fit properly. They have a wobble when rotating most times. The material is a lesser grade too.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:22 PM
Instructor

^^
that's exactly the answer i was looking for! thank you
Old 05-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I purchased AEM Tru-Power Pulley's but I have yet to install them. Partially because I haven't decided on the size of the belt needed for the job. If anyone knows or has installed these on a TSX, I would love to hear from you.