NOVA/DC typhoon install help

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006 | 11:18 AM
DC Metro Local Crew

NOVA/DC typhoon install help

hey guys, have had the typhoon CIA sitting here for the past 2 weeks, well its been cold and windy, so I didnt want to install this baby outside in the elements at my apartment building. So heres the deal, i was thinking that there are so many of you guys in NOVA/DC area, why not ask if anyone would like to take me under their DIY wing and help me install this thing. Im thinking next saturady, the 11th, suppose to be in the 70's. anyone care to help out a DIY newbie next weekend. i have a 12 pack with someones name written all over. please get in touch if you can help and it would be cool to meet some of you guys ont he board.
Old 03-05-2006 | 02:25 PM
DC Metro Local Crew

hey guys, went out and gave it a shot and it didnt go so well, i figured it wouldnt be so bad, but i couldnt even get the sensors out of the air intake pipe, if anyone does have any time next saturday, i would appreciate it more than you know to get some guidance on this install
Old 03-05-2006 | 02:58 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

We've held "installfests" for the the past 2 years helping people DIY install things like intakes etc. They usually are held in May through summer. I'd be happy to help, we did TSX.Fury's Comptech Air Box last summer. But it'd probably take some time to organize an event. If you were willing to wait till a little while, I could help, I'm already busy next week though
Old 03-05-2006 | 03:03 PM
DC Metro Local Crew

i mean, i could wait maybe a couple of weeks, but waiting til may could prove to be very difficult when i just have parts sitting around. but I'm very willing to work around other peoples schedules, even if its at night if you have a garage, no problem. if anyone is interested in helping next weekend, chime in, otherwise ill tiake you up on your offer of a couple weeks xizor
Old 03-05-2006 | 03:09 PM
Team Owner

Well, if the weather cooperates, an install meet sounds like it should definitely be planned. It looks like we may be able to do it as early as April this year.

And I may just have a suspension to be installed this time around.
Old 03-05-2006 | 03:15 PM
DC Metro Local Crew

i wouldnt mind an install meet, might just have a mugen grill to be installed sometime in april when it arrives, but if i could get this CAI installed sooner, thats what im lookin for. but i would be willing ot wait if nobody can help me out anytime soon and i am willing to compensate someone with some cash or whatever they may desire.
Old 03-05-2006 | 03:19 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DC_TSX
i wouldnt mind an install meet, might just have a mugen grill to be installed sometime in april when it arrives, but if i could get this CAI installed sooner, thats what im lookin for. but i would be willing ot wait if nobody can help me out anytime soon and i am willing to compensate someone with some cash or whatever they may desire.
Where do you live? As long as you have the tools, I'm sure I could probably swing by one of these weekends and help you out.
Old 03-05-2006 | 03:21 PM
DC Metro Local Crew

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Where do you live? As long as you have the tools, I'm sure I could probably swing by one of these weekends and help you out.

that would be pretty sweet if you could. i live in Falls Church, VA right now, moving just a couple miles north in Arlington on the 17th. shouldnt be more than 20 minutes silver spring which is what it says in your location part o fyour profile. i do have the tools, just need a second head to help me figure shit out and it probably would take way less time with 1 other person. let me know what you think.
Old 03-05-2006 | 03:28 PM
Team Owner

that would be pretty sweet if you could. i live in Falls Church, VA right now, moving just a couple miles north in Arlington on the 17th. shouldnt be more than 20 minutes silver spring which is what it says in your location part o fyour profile. i do have the tools, just need a second head to help me figure shit out and it probably would take way less time with 1 other person. let me know what you think.
PM me and we'll see what works with both our schedules.
Old 03-05-2006 | 03:54 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

CG have you done an intake install? beware the front bumper resonator bolt
Old 03-05-2006 | 03:57 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Originally Posted by xizor

I don't have use of my car right now so I just sit around most weekends and install stuff anyway so let me know if you need a hand.
Old 03-05-2006 | 04:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Word, I volunteer too if you can schedule it. I'm a DIY noob myself but I got my own Injen on with no problems. PM me.
Old 03-05-2006 | 05:19 PM
DC Metro Local Crew

Originally Posted by Reach
Word, I volunteer too if you can schedule it. I'm a DIY noob myself but I got my own Injen on with no problems. PM me.

PM sent to reach and CG
Old 03-05-2006 | 07:54 PM
Team Owner

I was there when we put the one on TSX.Fury's car and I've done them on Integras before. I remember you had a hell of a time with that bolt so I'll keep that in mind.
Old 03-05-2006 | 08:56 PM
send me a link to JDM??

I was there when we put the one on TSX.Fury's car and I've done them on Integras before. I remember you had a hell of a time with that bolt so I'll keep that in mind.
If anything just take off the bumper... its probably faster and just as easy. It takes me like 5-10 mins tops now.
Old 03-05-2006 | 09:01 PM
Drifting

CG, if you plan on going, PM/call me i might come out for a drive if i don't have anything going for the weekend...
Old 03-05-2006 | 09:12 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jmathew34
CG, if you plan on going, PM/call me i might come out for a drive if i don't have anything going for the weekend...
Will do.
Old 03-06-2006 | 09:27 AM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Hey if you guys are doing this let me know, I'd love to at least come and watch if you don't mind (I'll help if i can, of course, even though I'm way too noob to probably be much actual use).
Old 03-06-2006 | 09:34 AM
Senior Moderator

If the car has fog lights, then remove the bumper. Otherwise, a 10mm wrench through the fog cover is easiest.
Old 03-06-2006 | 10:04 AM
Senior Moderator

I did the Injen install through the wheel well. With 15 minutes of agonizing 1-click-at-a-time ratcheting, you can get that bolt off.

I would have removed the bumper if I knew how to

Hey, if we want to have a mini-installfest this weekend, I need to wire up my amp, and my sub should be here by then too so we could upgrade my audio. Any of you wired amps before?
Old 03-06-2006 | 05:43 PM
DC Metro Local Crew

this has now turned into a minimeet of sorts for the DC/MD/NOVA area. for anyone that wants to come down, its going to be at 2pm next saturday, March 11th. if anyone is interested CGTSX2004 and possibly Reach will be there. If anyone else is interested, ill PM you my address
Old 03-06-2006 | 10:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Who wants to install my new stereo with my while we're there

I'm getting my sub/box and amp in the mail this week, I'll totally save it for the weekend. I could use some help wiring it from another experienced hand, or if anyone is good at peeling apart the TSX interior.
Old 03-06-2006 | 10:39 PM
DC Metro Local Crew

im sure we can all chip in, there will be 3 of us there, maybe we should post a seperate thread for the mini install meet, since this thread isnt getting much traffic
Old 03-07-2006 | 02:10 PM
DC Metro Local Crew

looks like ill have a K20 valve and spark plug cover to put on as well. anyone have a torgue wrench they could bring? is it necessary, im assuming yes.
Old 03-07-2006 | 02:18 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

looks like ill have a K20 valve and spark plug cover to put on as well. anyone have a torgue wrench they could bring? is it necessary, im assuming yes.
torquing your engine correctly, sounds like a good idea TSX.Fury and I did his back in October, so if he's there, he can help you along easily
Old 03-07-2006 | 03:00 PM
send me a link to JDM??

torquing your engine correctly, sounds like a good idea TSX.Fury and I did his back in October, so if he's there, he can help you along easily
that's easy as well... as long as you have the helm's
Old 03-07-2006 | 03:28 PM
Master Graphic Artist

Originally Posted by JTso
If the car has fog lights, then remove the bumper. Otherwise, a 10mm wrench through the fog cover is easiest.
That's the approach I took. However the edges of the foglight housing put several minor abrasions on my hand.

It was my first mod and fairly easy and straight forward, just don't be scared to put a bit of force on some of those stock parts to get them out. Now the SS install was a bit harder for me bc I was too scared I'd break a part of my car.
Old 03-07-2006 | 04:23 PM
DC Metro Local Crew

Originally Posted by TSX.Fury
that's easy as well... as long as you have the helm's

dont have the helms, its not out for the 06 yet. anyone have the torque specs for the valve and spark plug covers???
Old 03-07-2006 | 04:46 PM
Senior Moderator

dont have the helms, its not out for the 06 yet. anyone have the torque specs for the valve and spark plug covers???
This makes me realize that the old guy at the tuner shop put my valve cover back on with just a hand wrench... CG's too. What is it supposed to be at? My friend has a torque wrench...
Old 03-07-2006 | 05:06 PM
Team Owner

This makes me realize that the old guy at the tuner shop put my valve cover back on with just a hand wrench... CG's too. What is it supposed to be at? My friend has a torque wrench...
Ooh...good point...

Xizor, you remember those specs, by chance? I know you've taken your valve cover off at least a few times.
Old 03-07-2006 | 05:58 PM
Senior Moderator

I believe the valve cover torque is 7lbs. Most torque wrenches won't read that low. Just use a 1/4" drive ratchet with a 10mm socket and hand torque it.
Old 03-07-2006 | 07:22 PM
DC Metro Local Crew

will do, but i dont have a 1/4 drive, i just have regular 3/8" ratchets. Its good we're gettin all thus stuff out so we know all the tools we may need. anyone, CG or Reach, have a 1/4 drive ratchet?

-this is still open for anyone that might want to come. we should be doing some audio wiring for reach, my cai and valve cover. i have sirius, but il do that some other time.

-anyone else want to attend.

-should we post a thread for this in the discussion forum?
Old 03-07-2006 | 08:07 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Well my schedule changed so it looks like I can make it on Sat. I would suggest starting a new thread in the TSX forum, or a post here, since this is a TSX only meet (I think). I'll bring the tools I can think of that are useful.

It'd help if you posted the address of the meet (moderators can remove it later), time and any other specific info
Old 03-07-2006 | 09:11 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Grrr.... damn you all! Too last minute! We should plan a mods meet for later, especially with all the new DC folks.
Old 03-07-2006 | 09:14 PM
Senior Moderator

I think we're just meeting at this guy's house. I cleared it with the GF so I'll be there

JTso.. Are you suggesting that just hand tightening is fine? Do you believe it could be over-tightened by say... a relatively weak person tightening it hard... he *prolly* knew what he was doing.

I'm going to ask my friend if he wants to come along too, he's got some good tools including a torque wrench, shop jack and stands, and he's always handy. He tunes his Sunfire but he'd never peered at a Honda till we peeled apart mine.
Old 03-07-2006 | 09:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TSX.Fury
Grrr.... damn you all! Too last minute! We should plan a mods meet for later, especially with all the new DC folks.
If your car is still in pieces you can prolly get a ride
Old 03-07-2006 | 09:19 PM
send me a link to JDM??

True, but I'll be out of town Otherwise I would borrow my gf's new civic and show you how it bests our car (in a few ways that is )
Old 03-07-2006 | 09:45 PM
DC Metro Local Crew

this is at my apartment complex parking lot FYI, i have no reason to think we cannot work on our cars in the parking lot, see people doing it all the time and it says nothing in my lease about it. this will be outside, but it should be in the 60's. should be fun and i think we have 4-5 people coming already
Old 03-07-2006 | 10:28 PM
Senior Moderator

I think we're just meeting at this guy's house. I cleared it with the GF so I'll be there

JTso.. Are you suggesting that just hand tightening is fine? Do you believe it could be over-tightened by say... a relatively weak person tightening it hard... he *prolly* knew what he was doing.

I'm going to ask my friend if he wants to come along too, he's got some good tools including a torque wrench, shop jack and stands, and he's always handy. He tunes his Sunfire but he'd never peered at a Honda till we peeled apart mine.
Yes, hand tightening is fine. Just make sure to evenly torque down the nuts. It's also very easy to over tighten and end up breaking off the studs. That's the reason I suggested to use a smaller 1/4" drive which reduces leverage and torque to the nuts. Btw, the torque spec is 8.7 ft lb. The idea is to seal not to crush the gasket. Just picture how much torque is required to hand tight an oil filter.
Old 03-08-2006 | 12:30 AM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by PixelHarmony
That's the approach I took. However the edges of the foglight housing put several minor abrasions on my hand.
When you're loosening the bitch-bolt one click at a time and skinning up your knuckles, repeat after me: "F*ckin . . . bitch-ass . . . bolt . . . piece of . . . sh*t . . . mother . . . f*cker . . . ouch! sh*t! . . . sonofa . . .bitch . . ." as you're turning the wrench. Doesn't make the bolt come out faster, but you'll feel better. And, it's worth 3 hp!

Quick Reply: NOVA/DC typhoon install help