Need a some opinions....

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 09:24 AM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a some opinions....

Ok...here's the situation.....I need new tires now that I have about 40K on the TSX...so I have two choices:

1. Buy new wheels (18/7.5) and tires (235/40/18)
2. Buy a body kit and new tires

What do you guys think you would do if you were in this situation? I want to improve the look of the car a little...I love it now, but I'm always "jonesing." Both options will cost about the same.

If you do choose the body kit, would you go with the OEM or something different? I do love the look of the OEM kit, but the EURO R kit is kinda nice too....

Thanks again!
Old 07-16-2004, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unless you also lower your car I would go with option 2. because if you get new wheels, the gap is going to be pretty noticeable
Old 07-16-2004, 09:49 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I'd go body kit first. The Euro-R is only slightly more than the OEM, but requires a long wait. Also you'd need the JDM fogs which would add more money.

Are you getting all seasons for CT weather? The nice thing about getting another set of rims is you can have 1 for summer and 1 for winter and get the best tires for both.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:53 AM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Originally Posted by xizor
I'd go body kit first. The Euro-R is only slightly more than the OEM, but requires a long wait. Also you'd need the JDM fogs which would add more money.

Are you getting all seasons for CT weather? The nice thing about getting another set of rims is you can have 1 for summer and 1 for winter and get the best tires for both.
Thanks....I'll go with the OEM kit then, sounds much easier. Well, I have Blizzaks right now that I've just been mounting and unmounting on the OEM wheels...still not sure what option to go with ....MORE OPINIONS!
Old 07-16-2004, 09:55 AM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Originally Posted by dabuda2004
unless you also lower your car I would go with option 2. because if you get new wheels, the gap is going to be pretty noticeable
I don't think I'll need to lower....I worked it out with the help of Dan Martin and the radius would be almost exactly the same as stock with 18/7.5 wheels and 235/40/18 tires..
Old 07-16-2004, 09:56 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yup body kit
Old 07-17-2004, 02:31 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Does anyone else have any opinions?
Old 07-17-2004, 03:45 PM
! deadmau5 !

Originally Posted by SSN_FT1(SS/DV)
Does anyone else have any opinions?
Yes. SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!

At 40K, your car's over 3 years old. You've used up about half the enjoyment you're going to have from it.

Put the money away toward the next set of wheels. (A lot of people trade at 5 or 6 years nowadays and I don't know what your cycle is. But if you're putting on 40K/year, you'll need a new car next fall.)
Old 07-17-2004, 09:52 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

You're kidding me right? Have you ever owned a Honda? I put over 250k on my Civic and it ran new when I sold it....I'm really not sure if you are being serious, but I'm going to get at least 3 more years out of it...plus I'm getting out of the Navy in two and will have about 1/20th the commute distance....next time someone gives multiple choice...don't pick 3 when the choices are "a" and "b"...you'll fail the test that way

My cars are not disposable.....I like to put more than 60K on them ...which according to my quick math is what you expect to put on your....
Old 07-17-2004, 10:22 PM
! deadmau5 !

....next time someone gives multiple choice...don't pick 3 when the choices are "a" and "b"...you'll fail the test that way :
Nonsense. Go ahead and knock yourself out with an aero kit and rims. It's still a three-year old car, mileage wise. Plan ahead for the next car and you might be able to afford this stuff when you get the car, rather than at its midlife point.

My cars are not disposable.....I like to put more than 60K on them ...which according to my quick math is what you expect to put on your....
All cars are disposable. The Yukon's chugging along at 85K -- good for at least another 20; the ML-320 might've gotten to 100 in a couple years if the wiffey hadn't spun it on ice. (But both of those were a ton more substantial than the TSX.)

At 40K you want to see how everything's holding up, and make the first tentative decision about when you might start looking again. But I think it's a pretty short list of people who are thinking about bolting on more plastic for a car that's made a dozen coast-to-coast trips.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:27 PM
Jewdacris!!

But to say save up for the next car is kinda foolish because when that car come its gonna be save up fot the NEXT one and so on and so on.

What kinda rims are you looking at?

The euro R front lip is real nice, but what kidna $$$ are you looking to spend? That would help anwser your question, or at least give it some directions.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:30 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Black TSX...I feel like you're insulting my intelligence here....or maybe my budgetary abilities. I just decided that at this point I wanted to do a little something to change the look of the car...it may be a waste of money to some people, but I'm ok spending it at this point. Sorry if you and I disagree, but thanks for your opinion…it is appreciated and I do respect everyone’s opinion.

As for rims…I’m looking for a multi-spoke (10 spoke range), or the Nakayama Vador 5s looked pretty good. I want to spend in the $1500 range….couple more hundred is ok if it’s worth it. I think at this point I’ve ruled out the Euro kit. Thanks for the help though.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:37 PM
cmf
ATCer

I think BlackTSX's first part of the comment was for jginnane

Not too many full body kits you'll find for the TSX right now for 1500 and under, unless it's some knock off POS. Better off buying a nice set of wheels and some springs to close up some of the wheel gap. Yes, you can find a tire/ wheel combo that equals out being the same size as stock, but there is a crazy amount of gap between the fender and tire if you ask me. Lowering it with a plus size wheel combo will make it look a bit more aggressive. 1500 is an OK amount of money for some wheels and for that couple extra hundred your willing to throw in, lower the car. My .02
Old 07-18-2004, 09:03 AM
! deadmau5 !

Originally Posted by cmf
I think BlackTSX's first part of the comment was for jginnane
Naw... he definitely said it was "Black TSX". He said, and I quote, "Black TSX...I feel like you're insulting my intelligence here....or maybe my budgetary abilities." So which is it? Remember, we're not being given a 3rd choice here. You can get in trouble in this particular thread if you try to present a 3rd choice. Even if you're right.

...And having said that, I should point out that anyone sitting home on a beautiful SATURDAY NIGHT typing cr*p about his or her car probably HAS A RIGHT to feel a little sensitive. :'(

Not too many full body kits you'll find for the TSX right now for 1500 and under, unless it's some knock off POS. Better off buying a nice set of wheels and some springs to close up some of the wheel gap.
Very good point. And you can also mention that there's a possibility, not a likelihood, that the rims and rubber are transportable. Provided you don't bang or scarf them up too much in the meantime.

The bolt-on body kit is not only a completely sunk cost, but there's a fair chance that one or more pieces of the kit is going to get chewed up/broken on a curb (or snow and ice). I mean, I hate, REALLY REALLY HATE bolt-on wing spoilers, but at least you probably don't have to go around replacing them every year. (You're stuck with the stupid look for the life of the car.)

The only way I'd consider a bolt-on body kit for a car at 40K would be if I'd already scraped up the original undersides to the point where I needed replacements anyways ... then there isn't so much difference versus the OEM plastic, and yes, I'd probably opt for the more aggressive appearance too.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:10 AM
Jewdacris!!

Black TSX...I feel like you're insulting my intelligence here....or maybe my budgetary abilities. I just decided that at this point I wanted to do a little something to change the look of the car...it may be a waste of money to some people, but I'm ok spending it at this point. Sorry if you and I disagree, but thanks for your opinion…it is appreciated and I do respect everyone’s opinion.

As for rims…I’m looking for a multi-spoke (10 spoke range), or the Nakayama Vador 5s looked pretty good. I want to spend in the $1500 range….couple more hundred is ok if it’s worth it. I think at this point I’ve ruled out the Euro kit. Thanks for the help though.

I wasnt dirrecting that comment to you, my bad, i should have mad that clear....i was talking to j....I think you should get some rims. I think theres nothing better then a great set of rims on a car...ask CMF he witnessed my forever long rim search...

but more power to you i hope you get some rims or that euro R kit
Old 07-18-2004, 11:12 AM
Cruise Missile Lobber

I apologize...my last post was aimed at jginnane. I'm not going to get into this argument with you. What does it matter what I'm doing on a Saturday afternoon anyway? If you spent at much time at sea as I did, you’d want to relax a little

I did find that you can get a full OEM kit for about $900, that's where I did the math from. I was just looking to see what everyone else thought. Thanks.

I also apologize for my original retort to your first post jginnane. After I read it again, I can see how it came off a little offensive. The last thing I want to do is give anyone the impression that I think I'm more intelligent than anyone here or visa versa...we really don't know anyone on this site personally, so that really wasn't fair for me to come off like that. Thank you though for taking the time to post a reply. I do appreciate it.

I think I decided that I'm probably going to go with the wheels and maybe get a drop down the line. Thanks again
Old 07-18-2004, 11:16 AM
cmf
ATCer

While thinking of rims, do a search for Xizors wheel gallery (think it's a sticky). A whole lotta wheels in his gallery, to include some that will fit within your 1500 dollar window!
Good luck, and yes, ask BlackTSX questions about wheels, he has to know a lot by now!
Old 07-18-2004, 11:17 AM
cmf
ATCer

Originally Posted by BlackTSX
I wasnt dirrecting that comment to you, my bad, i should have mad that clear....i was talking to j....I think you should get some rims. I think theres nothing better then a great set of rims on a car...ask CMF he witnessed my forever long rim search...

but more power to you i hope you get some rims or that euro R kit
Maybe I missed a thread, but did you finally get some wheels on, got pics, or link to your thread?
Old 07-18-2004, 11:32 AM
! deadmau5 !

[QUOTE=SSN_FT1(SS/DV)]I apologize... I also apologize [...][QUOTE]

Sheeze, let's not get too Jerry Springerish, eh? I know -- I was having a bit of fun back atcha. No harm done. :P (I'd apologize too but it's a matter of principle. :fingerfawk: )

Seems to be the complete consensus here that rims are the smart(er) way to go.

Now, you also didn't ask for a 4th alternative, but if I was clocking 40K a year on land, I'd be looking to get rubber that lasted forever, AND/OR improved my gas mileage somewhat. That big Yukon's a real pig wagon when it comes to handling, but 2 BFG's lasted 75,000, and 2 still have legal tread at 85,000.

You'd never expect that on a passenger car, but if you get rubber that improves your mileage by a couple per gallon ... even at some expense of handling characteristics ... it might be worth it, in your case.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:52 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by cmf
Maybe I missed a thread, but did you finally get some wheels on, got pics, or link to your thread?
G-Games 77Swidewinder, there's a post somewhere
Old 07-18-2004, 06:50 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

[QUOTE=jginnane][QUOTE=SSN_FT1(SS/DV)]I apologize... I also apologize [...]

Sheeze, let's not get too Jerry Springerish, eh? I know -- I was having a bit of fun back atcha. No harm done. :P (I'd apologize too but it's a matter of principle. :fingerfawk: )

Seems to be the complete consensus here that rims are the smart(er) way to go.

Now, you also didn't ask for a 4th alternative, but if I was clocking 40K a year on land, I'd be looking to get rubber that lasted forever, AND/OR improved my gas mileage somewhat. That big Yukon's a real pig wagon when it comes to handling, but 2 BFG's lasted 75,000, and 2 still have legal tread at 85,000.

You'd never expect that on a passenger car, but if you get rubber that improves your mileage by a couple per gallon ... even at some expense of handling characteristics ... it might be worth it, in your case.
All right....good deal...I thought we were headed down that Springer road I do agree about the rubber that lasts forever idea. Do you know of a brand that seems to last longer than the rest? Appreciate the idea.
Old 07-18-2004, 06:51 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Originally Posted by xizor
G-Games 77Swidewinder, there's a post somewhere
I think those are great looking wheels, but I just don't like having any print along the sides of them..otherwise they are right down the path I was going....thanks!
Old 07-18-2004, 06:52 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Originally Posted by cmf
While thinking of rims, do a search for Xizors wheel gallery (think it's a sticky). A whole lotta wheels in his gallery, to include some that will fit within your 1500 dollar window!
Good luck, and yes, ask BlackTSX questions about wheels, he has to know a lot by now!
I've looked at the gallery Great job Xizors! It's a one stop shop for wheel window shopping Thanks!
Old 07-18-2004, 08:20 PM
cmf
ATCer

You want a tire that lasts forever, and you can deal with a bit of road noise, go Nittos. I think those are one of the hardest compounds out there. I am sure there are others, but none that I probably have experience with.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:33 PM
Jewdacris!!

Yeah i have nitto neo gens on my car now, and actually the road noise isnt too bad, they grip well, and they are cool looking, at least i think so.

Yeah CMF, i got some g games sidewinders 18*7.5, and yeah at least i feel like i know a lotta about rims i mean it only took me what 3 or 4 months to decide. haha