Lookie Fram Sure Drain

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004 | 11:44 AM
I make Boom Boom in

Lookie Fram Sure Drain

I have already bought a fram sure drain but have not installed it yet. I talked to the service dept. guy today and he didn't reccomend it because he didn't think that the sure drain would work well over time. He said that fram wouldn't warranty anything that happens to the car should the drain fail and he started talking about the possibility of needing a new drain pan. He also started yaking about how he's used crush washers for 12 years and never had a problem... Like duh! It's a freaking washer! What's it gonna do, ya know? Oh, he also asked my why I would use synthetic oil. I told him some of you guys have put that on your car and said that the TSX performed better and he was like, uh..ok.

So for those of you that have sure drain on your car, have you experienced any problems? I would like to know before I put it on at my first oil change. I'd like to avoid any costly repairs later down the road. Thanks.

I would really like to use the sure drain, but the service guy stole my thunder. So sure drain yes or no?
Old 08-26-2004 | 11:51 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

time for you to visit a new stealership. i had a sure drain since it came out on my civic and had no problems with it. my bro has the fumoto drain plug on his wrx since he got it eight months ago, no problems...
Old 08-26-2004 | 11:53 AM
Photography Nerd

Many cars have a magnetic drain plug that will catch fine metal fragments floating in the oil. I don't know if the TSX's is magnetic but I'll find out in a couple weeks when I change the oil. In any event, this magnetic plug is good to examine as it will tell you if you're experiencing any premature engine wear.
Old 08-26-2004 | 12:12 PM
Race Director

Someone please explain to me the benefit of changing of the drain.
Old 08-26-2004 | 12:51 PM
Photography Nerd

They have a quick drain that has a valve to let the oil out. The benefits are that it's quicker and you don't get dirty.
Old 08-26-2004 | 02:58 PM
cmf
ATCer

I got a Spoon magnetic plug...don't think the stock is magnetic.
Old 08-26-2004 | 03:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

ahhhh... there is a magnet in the drain pain along with another "filter" there... to take out some heavy debris. both can't be accessed unless you remove the drain pain.
Old 08-26-2004 | 03:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

also... anybody have a picture of this sure drain? would like to see how this works.
Old 08-26-2004 | 03:15 PM
such a dirty birdy

Old 08-26-2004 | 03:17 PM
Photography Nerd

I thought we were talking about the one that has a valve?
Old 08-26-2004 | 04:00 PM
such a dirty birdy

Well, I either. That's the thing that Fram has on their web site called a "sure drain"...
Old 08-26-2004 | 04:07 PM
Photography Nerd

Like this: http://www.fumotovalve.com/
Old 08-26-2004 | 05:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

ok.. the above picture shows how not to make a mess using a hose... but the above link doesn't have a hose attachement, how is that less messy?

also... the above link may save about 3 minutes of time.
Old 08-26-2004 | 05:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by txathlete
I have already bought a fram sure drain but have not installed it yet. I talked to the service dept. guy today and he didn't reccomend it because he didn't think that the sure drain would work well over time. He said that fram wouldn't warranty anything that happens to the car should the drain fail and he started talking about the possibility of needing a new drain pan. He also started yaking about how he's used crush washers for 12 years and never had a problem... Like duh! It's a freaking washer! What's it gonna do, ya know? Oh, he also asked my why I would use synthetic oil. I told him some of you guys have put that on your car and said that the TSX performed better and he was like, uh..ok.

So for those of you that have sure drain on your car, have you experienced any problems? I would like to know before I put it on at my first oil change. I'd like to avoid any costly repairs later down the road. Thanks.

I would really like to use the sure drain, but the service guy stole my thunder. So sure drain yes or no?
Yeah, I like the idea of the convenience of the SureDrain, I just wonder if there is a useful life to it. How many years/miles before the springs/seals in the inner mechanism wear out/dry up and start to leak? Would it last 5 years? 10 years? At what point would I need to think about replacing it? Does Fram offer any guarantee on its structural integrity and warranty your car against damage from a defect of it? I'm not sure, but I'd doubt it, or if so, it's probably severely limited. The packaging itself didn't say, maybe it's documented inside the package. I know others say they've used it since whenever without issue, but I still would have concerns after several years about it.
Old 08-27-2004 | 02:26 AM
Race Director

And someone's putting this on to make it easier for the stealer to change the oil. What kind of sense does that make?
Old 08-27-2004 | 04:14 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Originally Posted by biker
And someone's putting this on to make it easier for the stealer to change the oil. What kind of sense does that make?
no biker, people who put this on (like myself) usually change their own oil.

it's less hassle of cleaning your garage/driveway when performing oil changes and too lazy to keep replacing the crush washer.
Old 08-27-2004 | 04:44 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by mg7726
no biker, people who put this on (like myself) usually change their own oil.

it's less hassle of cleaning your garage/driveway when performing oil changes and too lazy to keep replacing the crush washer.
That's what I would have thought, but from the sound of it the thread starter is putting it on and still taking the car to the stealer for service.
Old 08-31-2004 | 12:29 AM
Instructor

The fram is a valve. The valve opens when you attach the drain hose, sort of like a tire valve opens when you attach the air hose. That other valve is manually opened by hand but I guess you have to supply your own hose.
Old 08-31-2004 | 09:08 AM
OCD in the OC

Originally Posted by txathlete

What thread size did you buy?
Old 08-31-2004 | 10:01 AM
Instructor

I've used the SureDrains in my Jeep and my civic as well with absolutely no problems. I can perform an oil change with absolutely no tools and in record time now because of it.
I think that Fram took valve failure into consideration when designing the sure drain for the valve itself is also protected and secured with a nice threaded cap so even if the valve did fail the cap would prevent the oil from leaking out of the engine.
Mine threaded into the oilpan fine and if it did fail, you could
1.) remove the sure drain & use the original drain plug or
2.) buy another sure drain because the threads are the same.
Old 09-04-2004 | 10:25 PM
Instructor

The drain comes in different thread sizes but all hondas have the same size thread as far as I have seen. The size is P2. Look in the fram filter book at the parts store and they tell you what size to use for your car. It doesnt list the sure drain under the 04 TSX but I used the same size listed for the 04 accord. The drain works ok.. just screw on the hose and the oil starts coming out. No tools necessary. Its slower than if you took off the bolt. Takes about twice as long for the oil to come out but its easy and clean. Also someone mentioned the mobil 1 oil filter. The size is 110 not 105. 105 has the same thread and gasket size but the filter is much bigger.
Old 10-10-2004 | 11:51 AM
Racer

The SureDrain comes with a washer on it. Is that to be:

1. Used in addition to the Honda crush washer?
2. Used in place of the Honda crush washer?
3. Replaced by the Honda crush washer?

What have those who use the SureDrain done?
Old 10-11-2004 | 07:57 AM
Computer Nerd

Originally Posted by scheißterhöffer
The SureDrain comes with a washer on it. Is that to be:

1. Used in addition to the Honda crush washer?
2. Used in place of the Honda crush washer?
3. Replaced by the Honda crush washer?

What have those who use the SureDrain done?
I feel like I'm taking the SAT again!! I have it, and used it in place of a crush washer with no problems, but I am not sure that is was I was supposed to do.

Also, some general comments on the product: Although it is nice to not get dirty, and it is easier to just screw the hose on to the valve, it takes FOREVER to get the oil pan empty. I mean, seriously about 20-25 mins. I don't really care how long it takes since I just leave it and do something else, but that might not be an option for you. Just my