K&N Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 08:45 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N Air Filter

Amazon has K&N Filters for $27 with free shipping.. I got it off SlickDeals.net, so it must be a good deal, I'm just wondering if it's a recommended upgrade for my TSX..

Does anyone else use K&N filters? Can you notice a difference in performance?

If you'd like to take advantage of this, just go to Amazon.com and search for "332276". You'll go right to the filter for the TSX..

- g
Old 12-23-2005, 09:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have it with the resonator removed. I like it, but it doesn't get you the gains of the Injen for instance. It is definitely better than stock though... more responsiveness.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:49 AM
New Car Smell

Excellent find, thank you. I was looking into getting one of these and for $27 shipped I couldn't resist.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:08 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the K&N with the Icebox intake. Unfortunately for you I installed them both at the same time so I can't tell you whether I can feel any difference due to the K&N filter alone. But, with the Icebox and the K&N combo I can definitely feel an improvement.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:22 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
which filter are you talking about? for the CAI or a direct replacement for the stock intake? Does the Comptech Icebox use the same filter as the OEM intake?
Old 12-23-2005, 10:37 AM
Team Owner

The Comptech Icebox comes with its own filter. The K&N OEM replacement filter will fit with the Icebox lid but I needed to add some automotive weatherstripping on the inside of the lid to get it to seal properly with the K&N filter installed. There is a thread on this if you search.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:00 PM
ABP TSX

I had the K&N and OEM air box for 2 years and noticed no performance or sound change for that matter.

About 3 months ago, I installed a Comptech Icebox and used the same K&N filter. I noticed a performance difference, but probably becuase I removed the resonator during the Comptech install.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gsclifton
I had the K&N and OEM air box for 2 years and noticed no performance or sound change for that matter.

About 3 months ago, I installed a Comptech Icebox and used the same K&N filter. I noticed a performance difference, but probably becuase I removed the resonator during the Comptech install.
Yeah, the resonator is probably the most restricted component of the stock intake system.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:39 PM
Have camera, will travel

I've used K&N filters on other cars as a stand-alone mod, and never noticed any real performance gains, certainly not like K&N claims. Maybe a teeny bit of increased throttle response, but that's it. I think these filters work best in concert with other intake/exhaust mods, the final piece of the puzzle, so to speak.

Adding a CAI sounds like the way to go as far as intake mods are concerned.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:25 PM
8th Gear

I had the dealer install one of these last service check. Most of all the engine seems to breath easier. There is not a whole lot of performance gain, but certainly one of the cheapest mods to add.

Also there is no noticeable throttle response maybe because the TSX has an electronic throttle control? I definitely felt more throttle response on my 99GSX than I do with the 05TSX.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:30 PM
iVTEC no koe

Originally Posted by MikeZ
I had the dealer install one of these last service check. Most of all the engine seems to breath easier. There is not a whole lot of performance gain, but certainly one of the cheapest mods to add.

Also there is no noticeable throttle response maybe because the TSX has an electronic throttle control? I definitely felt more throttle response on my 99GSX than I do with the 05TSX.
If you haven't taken out the resonator, do it and you'll get MUCH better throttle response.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:36 PM
Advanced

What I'm wondering is if there's a way to take the resonator out of the loop without entirely removing it... For instance disconnecting the tube that runs between the resonator and airbox, would that be less invasive while still offering improved performance? The only reason I don't like idea of removing the resonator is that it seems like a pretty invasive deal (removing the bumper or the wheel well shield, both of which I've done on other cars always with the result being lost or broken clips or poor fitment afterward, or both). Would repositioning (removing or loosening the tube from the botton of the airbox) help with the throttle response without involving disturbing a whole lot else under the hood? If it were me I'd like to keep it as close to stock as possible while helping throttle response and maybe gaining a couple ponies.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:13 AM
Ticket Slow Drivers

Just got the drop in for Christmas...will be installing & removing any and all unwanted plastic in the near future!
Old 12-28-2005, 09:13 AM
iVTEC no koe

Originally Posted by spotch
What I'm wondering is if there's a way to take the resonator out of the loop without entirely removing it... For instance disconnecting the tube that runs between the resonator and airbox, would that be less invasive while still offering improved performance? The only reason I don't like idea of removing the resonator is that it seems like a pretty invasive deal (removing the bumper or the wheel well shield, both of which I've done on other cars always with the result being lost or broken clips or poor fitment afterward, or both). Would repositioning (removing or loosening the tube from the botton of the airbox) help with the throttle response without involving disturbing a whole lot else under the hood? If it were me I'd like to keep it as close to stock as possible while helping throttle response and maybe gaining a couple ponies.
It would help a bit, but that resonator takes up a huge amount of space and also blocks most (if not all) of the incoming air from the front. There is no issues with broken clips or poor firment when removing from wheel well. The clips are the push-clip types, sorta like thumb-tacks and then there's a couple screws for the underpanel. I didn't go the bumper route because I also worry about fitment when the bumper is removed/reinstalled. Trustme, just take out the resonator from the wheel well and let your TSX BREATHE!
Old 12-28-2005, 09:32 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HoRRo
It would help a bit, but that resonator takes up a huge amount of space and also blocks most (if not all) of the incoming air from the front. There is no issues with broken clips or poor firment when removing from wheel well. The clips are the push-clip types, sorta like thumb-tacks and then there's a couple screws for the underpanel. I didn't go the bumper route because I also worry about fitment when the bumper is removed/reinstalled. Trustme, just take out the resonator from the wheel well and let your TSX BREATHE!

It did take me about 20 minutes to wrestle the resonator out (I went through the wheel well) but its well worth it.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Advanced

I remember reading where people who didn't remove the front bumper ended up going through the foglight hole, but what about the 06 TSXs that have integrated foglights, would that complicate removing the resonator any?
Old 12-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Ticket Slow Drivers

yep...what these guys said...
Old 12-28-2005, 09:44 AM
Team Owner

I remember reading where people who didn't remove the front bumper ended up going through the foglight hole, but what about the 06 TSXs that have integrated foglights, would that complicate removing the resonator any?
Yes. Going through the foglight hole was very convenient for loosening the dreaded bolt. You can still reach the bolt going from under the bumper, but I think it would be harder to see what you're doing. I wonder how easy it would be to pull the fog lamp out for access.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Advanced

I'm wondering if the standard foglights on the 06 tsx will make it necessary to take the bumper off to get to the dreaded bolt...
Old 12-28-2005, 10:32 AM
ABP TSX

I'm wondering if the standard foglights on the 06 tsx will make it necessary to take the bumper off to get to the dreaded bolt...
The bumper is fairly easy to remove if it is like the 04/05 bumper. All you really need is about 20-30 mins (first time) and some common tools.

So I would not see removing the front bumper as a real obstacle. Also, if you have a service jack, you could lift the car off the ground and perhaps access the bolt from the bottom easier.

Originally Posted by jlukja
You can still reach the bolt going from under the bumper, but I think it would be harder to see what you're doing. I wonder how easy it would be to pull the fog lamp out for access.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:38 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gsclifton
The bumper is fairly easy to remove if it is like the 04/05 bumper. All you really need is about 20-30 mins (first time) and some common tools.

So I would not see removing the front bumper as a real obstacle. Also, if you have a service jack, you could lift the car off the ground and perhaps access the bolt from the bottom easier.
Yeah. I was assuming that the car would already be lifted so the wheel can be removed for access to the wheel well.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:54 AM
iVTEC no koe

Does anyone know if the grille beside the foglights can be removed? or are they part of the actual bumper? If not, should be enough room to slip your arm in there.