Injen intake in SR mode (my impressions)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:59 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Injen intake in SR mode (my impressions)

Hi all,

I know there are numerous posts about the intakes and the Injen one in particular but I just had to make another out of my satisfaction with this product. This was my first mod for the car and I decided to do it on my own with a few friends. Took us about 3 hours in total. This included the removal of the resonator without the removal of the bumper The only issue was with the PCV connector hose. It kept popping off with the stock clamps so I had to get the ones that you can tighten with a screw. Now it holds very well.

The intake is VERY loud, especially under load. Revving it in P (yes, it's an AT) did not do it justice. Once I took it for a ride and hit red-line a couple of times, that's when I realized how friggin' loud it is. I've been driving the car much harder ever since I installed it just so I can hear it roar hehe The sound is very deep and you can already hear it around 3k rpm. All in all, I am very pleased. In terms of performance, I can't really tell if it's more responsive in the lower rpm range since I've been driving it much harder in general so it could just be my imagination. I'll just assume that it is for now..

Here's a pic of the setup. I'll record a little video soon enough of how loud this beast is.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Detail Cars in Philly in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
looking good, i've had mine for about 2 months now but i have it on cai. love the sound but i'll prob be switching to sr after summer. hopefully i'll notice the low rpms since i do alot of city.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Instructor

Didn't realize the image was going to be so huge and now I can't change it.. Apologies for that.

dmassott - I set it up in SR for that exact reason. I'm in Toronto, Canada and winter is not far away. Supposedly SR is also more beneficial for the lower rpm range which is how I usually drive. Best of luck on the conversion
Old 07-30-2008, 08:26 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to probably put it on sri mode as well since I don't venture into the higher rpm's that often.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:35 AM
iVTEC no koe

Looks like you have a part that's not connected properly. The part on the Injen's "elbow" that connects to the valve cover.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HoRRo
Looks like you have a part that's not connected properly. The part on the Injen's "elbow" that connects to the valve cover.
Yeah that's the part that was popping off due to the weak hose clamps and I took the picture right after it happend. I have since replaced the clamps with screw-tightened ones and that connection holds well.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:02 AM
iVTEC no koe

ah, good stuff, I did the same thing for mine as well.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:05 PM
Instructor

indentical to my setup, and i had the same reactions.

I did, however, notice a slight bump in the lower end, but its just peppier, not neccesarily faster overall, just feels like its got more throttle response.

SR is the way to go IMO. cleaning the filter in CAI sounded like a pain to me, and this is much easier, plus i think the temp difference is only 20 degrees, and since the performance isnt really hit either way i just dont see the need for CAI.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:59 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MeHoo
indentical to my setup, and i had the same reactions.

I did, however, notice a slight bump in the lower end, but its just peppier, not neccesarily faster overall, just feels like its got more throttle response.

SR is the way to go IMO. cleaning the filter in CAI sounded like a pain to me, and this is much easier, plus i think the temp difference is only 20 degrees, and since the performance isnt really hit either way i just dont see the need for CAI.
I ran in SR from last November through this April and I agree with this. SR gives you better throttle response and low-end, and I don't notice much advantage to having it in CAI even during these summer months. The next time I swap back to SR, it's probably going to stay that way.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:20 AM
Pro

indeed it is great
Old 09-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Thermos,

If you don't mind me asking, where did you pick up the intake? I also live in Toronto and I'm thinking about the injen one..the only thing stopping me is my warranty.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
I have installed a few of these. Injen parts fit well and are made well for sure. Me personally I prefer the sound of the comptech. For the performance growl the Injen is loudest, and I think AEM and Fujita fall somewhere in between.

Overall a great part! Congrats on the upgrade!

Marcus
Old 09-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Intermediate

Nice upgrade! Is the Injen intake carb legal?
Old 09-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2K6TSX
Hey Thermos,

If you don't mind me asking, where did you pick up the intake? I also live in Toronto and I'm thinking about the injen one..the only thing stopping me is my warranty.
Got mine from Acura Woodbine for $350 tax included. You should just e-mail them about it and see what price they give you. I have a feeling it's not a fixed price and it could be a bit lower/higher for you
Old 09-02-2008, 08:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by unlimited
Nice upgrade! Is the Injen intake carb legal?
Taken from Injen's website:

"Injen Technology submits all of our air intake systems for CARB exemption approval (California Air Resource Board). All of our air intake systems are either certified by CARB or have been submitted for CARB exemption. Considering California has some of the toughest emission laws in the country, CARB approval has been accepted as legal by other states. Each of these kits includes a high temperature decal with the CARB exempt OEO number. This decal identifies approved aftermarket add on products from non-approved products. As long as you have the approved decal you shouldn't have any problems with vehicle inspections. You can visit our Website www.injen.com and click on CARB EO listings to determine the CARB status."
Old 09-02-2008, 12:43 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Thermos
Taken from Injen's website:

"Injen Technology submits all of our air intake systems for CARB exemption approval (California Air Resource Board). All of our air intake systems are either certified by CARB or have been submitted for CARB exemption. Considering California has some of the toughest emission laws in the country, CARB approval has been accepted as legal by other states. Each of these kits includes a high temperature decal with the CARB exempt OEO number. This decal identifies approved aftermarket add on products from non-approved products. As long as you have the approved decal you shouldn't have any problems with vehicle inspections. You can visit our Website www.injen.com and click on CARB EO listings to determine the CARB status."
Cliffs for this post:

it is carb legal.

And because people always ask, this intake in SRI mode gives noticeably better low end power than the same intake in CAI mode, but the difference from stock isn't huge. It's louder in SRI mode too.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:45 PM
E92

Originally Posted by 2K6TSX
Hey Thermos,

There are no worries to be had about the warranty. A couple of the mechanics at the local dealership commented on my intake and they don't care that it's in.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Special-K

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TommySalami
There are no worries to be had about the warranty. A couple of the mechanics at the local dealership commented on my intake and they don't care that it's in.
until something happens to the engine and they have to fix it under warrenty... and end up denying to do the work under it. It can happen...
Old 09-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by PrecyseStylez
until something happens to the engine and they have to fix it under warrenty... and end up denying to do the work under it. It can happen...

You must have gotten screwed at some point....

Marcus
Old 09-02-2008, 08:21 PM
-Nick-

Cliffs for this post:

it is carb legal.

And because people always ask, this intake in SRI mode gives noticeably better low end power than the same intake in CAI mode, but the difference from stock isn't huge. It's louder in SRI mode too.
NO it isn't CARB legal. If you read what was in that quote you would see that Injen submitted it to be ceritified, but it is still pending and likely will never be CARB. Only the first Injen CAI (strictly CAI, not the new one that is CAI/SRI) is CARB, but those are old and you would have to find a used one.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:30 PM
Advanced

which mode is louder?

Regarding the injen intake.Is it louder to have it on SR then on CAI??
Old 09-02-2008, 11:36 PM
-Nick-

Originally Posted by zxxxboy
Regarding the injen intake.Is it louder to have it on SR then on CAI??
It's a bit louder, but not too much louder. And it only really makes noise if i hit the gas. If I just accelerate slow it doesn't really make any noise.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:32 AM
E92

Originally Posted by CGP06tsx
NO it isn't CARB legal. If you read what was in that quote you would see that Injen submitted it to be ceritified, but it is still pending and likely will never be CARB. Only the first Injen CAI (strictly CAI, not the new one that is CAI/SRI) is CARB, but those are old and you would have to find a used one.
The old one is CAI/SRI also. I have that one, and the only differences between the two are small things like the location of the IAT sensor
Old 09-03-2008, 11:04 AM
-Nick-

The old one is CAI/SRI also. I have that one, and the only differences between the two are small things like the location of the IAT sensor
I saw one on a guys car and it was just CAI but he had a CARB sticker
Old 09-12-2008, 04:30 PM
1st Gear

hey everyone im new.. just bought a 04 tsx 6spd on wed.. so from what im hearing just go with a short ram right.. i had a 92 acura legend with a sr and it was amazing.. but they didnt make cai for the 92 legend... so i wanted to try out a cai.. but from what i hear stick with the sr
Old 09-12-2008, 07:04 PM
E92

Originally Posted by CGP06tsx
I saw one on a guys car and it was just CAI but he had a CARB sticker
You sure it wasn't Fujita? They look almost exactly the same, except the Fujita is one piece, CAI only.