I bought an Icebox

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 03:59 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought an Icebox

I know the published gains aren't very good but i've been itching to do something to my car and decided to get an icebox for several reasons.

1) keep sound levels down. I like an induction howl but not super loud.

2)keep it emissions legal.

3)Keep it easy to change back to stock for service. In a matter of minutes you can put the stock lid and filter back on

It also offers something that I'm interested in, no loss of area under the curve below 3000rpms. The torque peak is shifted to like 25-2600 rpms from 2700 but retains all(if not a little more) torque at low rpms. It also maintains a marginal torque increase along the entire rev range with some decent gains once you hit vtec. Airbox designs along with the fact that it has a higher volume lid(more air waiting in resevoir past the filter) tend to give much improved throttle response over other intake designs. that doesn't necessarily mean more torque, but the car should feel more responsive.

If it was just that I don't think I would have boughten it, but after seeing a picture of tmalzahns finished install the air horn sits in the resonator cavity with that looks like a straight shot to the foglight cover. I'm planning on venting that cover to get some nice direct airflow and am hoping that it might be good for a few more lbft across the rpm band.

So am i crazy for getting an icebox?
Old 03-09-2004, 04:08 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Refesh the memories, lets see some dyno's Dynoman.

Is'nt it a given that the Typhoon and Injen will pass emmisions?

How much compared to the others?
Old 03-09-2004, 04:17 PM
ABP TSX

If you post that the sound increase in the interior is marginal, I might have to get one. You posted the same reasons why I have not gone with the Injen/K&N yet besides a divorce. My primary reason is an increase in cabin noise. The exhaust was enough for me. I have started to Dynamat the trunk to reduce the noise even though it is not all that bad.

Keep the thread posted on how you like the product once it is installed.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Audi Driving Snob

neither of them are carb certified = not gonna work with the emissions nazis in california.

The dyno is on comptechs site, it's not pretty but i have afeeling with the fog light venting it might well be raised a few lbft across the band.

I think i'm just in the mood to screw around with something. It will also be very easy to put back as stock if I dont' like it. I think i'm going to sell my springs/camber kit because it's difficult and expensive to put tha tback to stock if you don't like it.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:19 PM
ABP TSX

Originally posted by TinkySD
The dyno is on comptechs site, it's not pretty but i have afeeling with the fog light venting it might well be raised a few lbft across the band.
I have the fog lights so venting will not help me at all. BTW, I have the covers if anyone needs a project set to cut on.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Baka Unco

I think i'm going to sell my springs/camber kit because it's difficult and expensive to put tha tback to stock if you don't like it.
REALLY? How much? You're talking about the Comptech's right?
Old 03-09-2004, 04:42 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Yeah the comptech springs and the spc/comptech rear camber kit. I will definitely be giving a discount over new if i decide to sell(which is likely at this point). I will post over in black market to gauge interest.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Baka Unco

Ummm, I'm interested in the springs for sure . . .

Let me know if you decide to sell . . . please
Old 03-09-2004, 05:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

with daily driving there should be no increase in interior noise, unless you are a super agressive driver...

tinky is a product hoarder! dont be so mean to your tsx!
Old 03-09-2004, 05:20 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally posted by gsclifton
My primary reason is an increase in cabin noise. The exhaust was enough for me.
You kidding, the CAI is nothing compared to the sound of an exhaust. My K&N roars loud as anything @ WOT, but its silent when under 4k RPM. As opposed to an exhaust which is always on, and can drone when accelerating. If you already have an exhaust, I can't see the CAI adding any more *unwanted* noise.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:38 PM
Audi Driving Snob

I agree with you xizor. The intake is modulated by rpm and throttle position, but I tend to drive fairly aggresively and definitely do not want exhaust! So for me the icebox is an intriguing product. I'm not saying i wasn't dissapointed by the initial dyno, but I think there might be some tricks to help it out.(venting)
Old 03-09-2004, 05:41 PM
ABP TSX

Well the noise was enough for the wife and does not bother me. If I combine the exhuast and a "loud" intake, well . . . . who knows.

I have put Dynamat in about 1/4 of the trunk and can tell a slight difference with just that on startup/idle. I am interested to see the difference with a fully lined trunk. It may not be a lot or maybe I have adjusted to the exhaust.

I really want the K&N CAI though for the HP gains. Hmmm, is it worth a divorce at at least 10 pairs of shoes . . . .hmmmm?
Old 03-09-2004, 06:14 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Re: I bought an Icebox

I'm planning on venting that cover to get some nice direct airflow and am hoping that it might be good for a few more lbft across the rpm band.
If anything it'll be hard to dyno the air ram effect of the vented grill. Even a nice fan wont do it justice.

How's the filter on that thing? You definately pick up gravel and a lot more dirt. My friend's S2K has a snorkel and it works somewhat similar to the CompTech airbox. He opened up the box and there was a bunch of tiny rocks sitting in there.

And do you think the air box can accomodate all the air flow of a vented grill, is the box unrestricted enough? I'm planning on venting mine for my K&N CAI, certainly couldn't hurt.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:34 PM
Audi Driving Snob

All good questions that I definitely don't know the answer too but I guess i'll be finding out. The comptech filter is foam and I also have a k&n drop in which should also fit. I will most likely go the same route as jtso and put a piece of mesh behind the vent to keep out any big stuff.

Once i put it in I will definitely look at the state of the filter on a weekly basis to make sure there is no problem with it, but I can't see it being any worse than having a vented cover with your k&n sitting right there in teh same place. If anything it should offer more protection since the opening to the snorkel is smaller than the k&n cone.

I don't think I'm going to dyno with the comptech box but I will definitely give my before and after impressions. In fact I think I will install the box and drive it around for a bit and then vent the cover and give my impressions after that.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by gsclifton

I really want the K&N CAI though for the HP gains. Hmmm, is it worth a divorce at at least 10 pairs of shoes . . . .hmmmm?
What if you buy your wife a gift everytime you buy something for your car in equivalent value? Do you think she would mind?
Old 03-09-2004, 08:08 PM
ABP TSX

Originally posted by JTso
What if you buy your wife a gift everytime you buy something for your car in equivalent value? Do you think she would mind?
That is worth a shot. I have already worn out the dinner and night out routine. I need a new "get the hell out of jail" card.

Marriage is a lot of give and take

But the best thing about the Icebox for me is that it looks stock
Old 03-10-2004, 02:34 PM
Audi Driving Snob

it arrives tomorrow
Old 03-13-2004, 11:32 AM
ABP TSX

it arrives tomorrow
TinkySD-

Any updates . . . . . . .
Old 03-13-2004, 11:37 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Only got a chance to put the new airbox and filter in today(putting in the snorkel and venting tomorrw) from my intial drives there is a definitely a slight change in engine note, wehter that's from the foam filter or the larger volume box I don't know. But it stands to some reason as changing the volume of any chamber in the intake system has the potential to change the resonance. It threw me off at first so I took it apart and reassembled making sure all the seals were air tight.

Driving impressions: Only some interesting notes at this point. The theory that a large volume box leads to increased throttle response appear valid. Also there appears to be a little more on the launch with an auto(2000-2500 rpms) i was able to do a few nice burnouts by stomping on it - it may jsut be coincidence that all the times I tried it I was able to get some tire squeal this time.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:30 AM
Burning Brakes

when are u getting a dyno? ill be really interested to see the numbers.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:11 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Ok so i finished the install Sunday. If i had to do it again it would only take about 30 minutes using the wheel removal method.

The sound is exactly what i'm looking for. More or less stock unless you are at 3/4 or full throttle in which case you get a nice induction growl, but nothing I would consider intrusive at all. It is much milder than a cai or short ram. If you had your windows up and radio on loud you wouldn't even hear it.

I was concerned about any loss of low end torque with the resonator removed but I haven't seen any yet. Updated driving experiences will be posted in a few days.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:57 PM
Instructor

Looking forward to your review, I like the "factory" look of the Icebox, but I'm actually waiting for the mugen's intake price to go down about $800.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:26 PM
Burning Brakes

any updates tinky?