HONDATA for Canadians

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 06:34 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HONDATA for Canadians

I'm going to get it done this Summer and would like to ask those Canadians that have had it done how the whole process went for them. It's harder for us to get this done due to customs and border issues.

Any problems with shipping/customs?

Did you pay any brokerage fees?

Who did you use for shipping?

Which Hondata dealer did you get it done through?

How long did the whole process take?

What was your final $ all in?

Thanks
Old 03-04-2006, 08:30 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Couldn't any Hondata rep. in your city or area get it done for you in-house? ie: They should have the image from Hondata, so they just do the reflash locally. (??)
Old 03-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by curls
Couldn't any Hondata rep. in your city or area get it done for you in-house? ie: They should have the image from Hondata, so they just do the reflash locally. (??)
Hondata reflashes can only be done at Hondata's facility in Southern California.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Hondata reflashes can only be done at Hondata's facility in Southern California.

Right ! And there is only one Hondata Dealer in the Toronto Area and they wanted $1100.00 plus shipping Thats why I think most Canadians ship to US dealers.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:29 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wHAt? $1100 CAD? I'm in Toronto, the only Hondata Dealer is in Mississauga. I'm planning to do the reflesh once they release for the 05 5AT TSX. It's only $595 in US. So w/ exchange rate it's probably around $700ish. Personally I will pick USPS other than ANY OTHER courier like UPS or Fedex, because USPS usually don't charge much (or any at all) when they went thru the custom. If they charged $1100, I will probably ship it to the US dealer and ask them to ship it back to me. I'm wondering if this can be done. Also I thought shipping is incl. in the $595 fee, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by chuson
wHAt? $1100 CAD? I'm in Toronto, the only Hondata Dealer is in Mississauga. I'm planning to do the reflesh once they release for the 05 5AT TSX. It's only $595 in US. So w/ exchange rate it's probably around $700ish. Personally I will pick USPS other than ANY OTHER courier like UPS or Fedex, because USPS usually don't charge much (or any at all) when they went thru the custom. If they charged $1100, I will probably ship it to the US dealer and ask them to ship it back to me. I'm wondering if this can be done. Also I thought shipping is incl. in the $595 fee, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Maybe we need to set up a group buy through a US dealer willing to help us with the logistics ! But that's why I started this thread because I'm sure there are a few members from the GTA that have already had the reflash, dealt with the BS involved with customs and can help us with their experiences.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:03 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Sparkie, where are you located??? I'm planning to do the Hondata reflesh when 05 5AT is avaliable, or after the summer. If you are in Toronto, I think it's a little bit easier, since there's ALOT of TSX around here, and we can all ship our ECU together. $1100 is insane, consider the exchange rate is pretty low right now, we are paying an extra $300CAD for ????. WHat TSX do you have?
Old 03-04-2006, 11:14 PM
BU
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
I could be wrong, but if you go to Authorized Toronto Hondata Dealer. The Price they state should be includive (Shipping, Reflushing, TAX, Brokage). In Fact, Your are not buying a new product. You are upgrading your "program". You are shipping in & out the same product & it is used. Even you purchase throw a US Dealer. TAX & Brokage shouldn't be charge. Just get some prove on it.

$1100 CDN is a rip off price.
I asked before in Vancouver, Canada. $800 CDN via A&J Racing

Bender
Old 03-05-2006, 01:24 AM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

$800 sounds more reasonable
Old 03-05-2006, 01:31 AM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Updates:
Sparkie, please take a second look @ HERE . The $1,130 price is for K-PRO reflesh, we need N/A reflesh, which should be on top of the page, around $700-800CAD. I might be wrong but I think you might make a mistake. If so that price is reasonable.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:57 AM
Instructor

Updates:
Sparkie, please take a second look @ HERE . The $1,130 price is for K-PRO reflesh, we need N/A reflesh, which should be on top of the page, around $700-800CAD. I might be wrong but I think you might make a mistake. If so that price is reasonable.

After the 04 mt reflash first came out I called and talked to Andy. Told him I wanted the reflash for a 2004 TSX MT. (K-pro not available anyway). I would remove ECU and immobilizer and they would arrange for the reflash at Hondata. He told me $ 1100.00 plus shipping and customs fees. No mistake.

There has to some people from the GTA that have already had this done. Please speak up!!
Old 03-06-2006, 11:37 PM
Intermediate

I got quoted a lot cheeper than you guys were. I live in ottawa, and was quoted for the new 06 reflash. Here's a copy of the email from the shop:

Hi Craig,

The price for the reflash is 680 canadian dollars, I would need the car (or at
least the ecu) for a couple of days, I need to send the ecu to hondata in
California.

Chris

This was from a shop here in ottawa that i have been to before and that is an authorized Hondata dealer. Hope this helps.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by ottawatsx
I got quoted a lot cheeper than you guys were. I live in ottawa, and was quoted for the new 06 reflash. Here's a copy of the email from the shop:

Hi Craig,

The price for the reflash is 680 canadian dollars, I would need the car (or at
least the ecu) for a couple of days, I need to send the ecu to hondata in
California.

Chris

This was from a shop here in ottawa that i have been to before and that is an authorized Hondata dealer. Hope this helps.

Holy crap... that's a great price. Is that Chris Tapp from Tapp Auto? If so, GREAT guy to deal with.

If my wife wasn't 7 months pregnant, I'd be all over this.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:27 PM
Instructor

Hmm, I'd wonder if Tapp Auto would knock a few $ off the price if you take the ECU and immobilizer out yourself.

But I agree - they're great guys to deal with.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:43 AM
Instructor

Out of curiosity, has anybody out here in Vancouver had their chip sent out to Hondata for a reflash? Any recommendations as to where to go?
Old 03-11-2006, 08:28 PM
iVTEC no koe

Originally Posted by curls
Holy crap... that's a great price. Is that Chris Tapp from Tapp Auto? If so, GREAT guy to deal with.

If my wife wasn't 7 months pregnant, I'd be all over this.
Originally Posted by dowzer
Hmm, I'd wonder if Tapp Auto would knock a few $ off the price if you take the ECU and immobilizer out yourself.

But I agree - they're great guys to deal with.

Just as a heads up to members not local to tappauto, they may be nice guys to deal with, but sadly not too efficient (aka slow), if you don't mind the waiting game, they are probably the cheapest for Canadians on the east coast.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:08 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't comment on these guys at all, but if there is first US and then Canadian customs involved then I could see why delivery might slow down, or become unpredictable. So is "a couple of days" 3 or 7, or two weeks?
Old 03-12-2006, 01:12 AM
iVTEC no koe

Originally Posted by gdcwatt
I can't comment on these guys at all, but if there is first US and then Canadian customs involved then I could see why delivery might slow down, or become unpredictable. So is "a couple of days" 3 or 7, or two weeks?
I'm not saying the delivery to from there (Canada) to Hondata (USA) is slow, but rather the time they decide to physically hand it over to a courier (FedEX/UPS/etc) is slow and for them to ship it back to you is slow. I would say "couple of days" equals to about 7-12 days.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:39 PM
Instructor

Is there no one else in Ontario that has already got the Hondata reflash????

Maybe we need aother Hondata dealer in the Toronto area that would better represent the product that Hondata has to offer or make it more accessible.

I'd definetely get it done if it was priced right, if I knew how long the process would take, customs issues......
Maybe we could pressure Hondata into adding another GTA dealer?
How many other members in the Toronto area would be interested in the reflash?
Old 03-13-2006, 08:02 PM
Racer

im interested
just need some dough
Old 03-16-2006, 12:45 PM
iVTEC no koe

Originally Posted by SPARKIE
Is there no one else in Ontario that has already got the Hondata reflash????
I have 2005 reflashed.

I'd definetely get it done if it was priced right, if I knew how long the process would take, customs issues......
Process time varies depending on dealers shipment method. I paid for faster shipping ($140+tax for 24-48hrs per way, dealer>hondata>dealer). There are no customs issues whatsoever.

Maybe we could pressure Hondata into adding another GTA dealer?
Not going to happen, business become dealers by applying to be one. Better off pressuring a Toronto tuner shop by offering him a bunch of prospects for the reflash.

http://www.hondata.com/dealerapp.html
Old 03-16-2006, 03:48 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Hey HoRRo...
Are you in Toronto?? Or which dealer did you brought ya ECU to??
Old 03-16-2006, 09:46 PM
iVTEC no koe

Hey HoRRo...
Tapp Auto in Ottawa, took fucking ages to get it done, 11 days.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:51 PM
iVTEC no koe

Hey HoRRo...
Forgot the first question, yes, Toronto.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:20 AM
Instructor

** Hondata Update**

Updates:
Tried local Hondata Dealer again for pricing ---Sorry chuson, no mistake.........

After about six emails back and forth and correcting the fact that I want a reflash for the TSX not the RSX ($ 800) they came back to me with an all inclusive price of $1130 f**king dollars for the TSX!

What a joke. I want the reflash so bad but there is just no way I'm paying that much for Hondata.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:41 AM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
I was talking to some of the guys from toronto when they came to buffalo, they wanted me order their parts haha and they could try picking it up here in buffalo haha.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:41 AM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

We should alll send an e-mail to the local (Toronto) Hondata dealership, ask them the pricing. When they tell us it's $1100CAD, tell them that they are not going to get the business, because somewhere else like Ottawa or BC are ony $700-800CAD. Also tell them we are from the Acurazine forum, and the words has spread so no one is going for refresh unless they lower the price.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
We should alll send an e-mail to the local (Toronto) Hondata dealership, ask them the pricing. When they tell us it's $1100CAD, tell them that they are not going to get the business, because somewhere else like Ottawa or BC are ony $700-800CAD. Also tell them we are from the Acurazine forum, and the words has spread so no one is going for refresh unless they lower the price.
Why bother with the local dealer when you can simply purchase the reflash from Ottawa or BC if their price is better? It's not like the local dealer is going to reflash for you. They only process the purchase. The ECU still needs to be shipped to Hondata.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:52 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Originally Posted by JTso
Why bother with the local dealer when you can simply purchase the reflash from Ottawa or BC if their price is better? It's not like the local dealer is going to reflash for you. They only process the purchase. The ECU still needs to be shipped to Hondata.
I know, but we have to pay extra to ship to BC or Ottawa. It's not like we can afford to pay that extra delievery fee, but the purpose of local dealer will be useless, and un-conveinent.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I know, but we have to pay extra to ship to BC or Ottawa. It's not like we can afford to pay that extra delievery fee, but the purpose of local dealer will be useless, and un-conveinent.
Why do you have to ship to BC or Ottawa? The shipping is between you and Hondata. The dealer only process the purchase like I said earlier. Unless the process is different in Canada, otherwise, this is how it works.

1. You contact the dealer and pay for the reflash.
2. Dealer sends you two shipping labels. One to Hondata, one from Hondata back to you.
3. You put the ECU, immobilizer and key along with the reflash form in the box. Put one shipping label on the outside and enclose the return label inside the box.
4. Ship the box out.
5. Hondata receives the box and reflash the ECU. Then use the return label and ship the box back to you.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:15 AM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Thx for clear up for me~
Old 03-26-2006, 06:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JTso
Why do you have to ship to BC or Ottawa? The shipping is between you and Hondata. The dealer only process the purchase like I said earlier. Unless the process is different in Canada, otherwise, this is how it works.

1. You contact the dealer and pay for the reflash.
2. Dealer sends you two shipping labels. One to Hondata, one from Hondata back to you.
3. You put the ECU, immobilizer and key along with the reflash form in the box. Put one shipping label on the outside and enclose the return label inside the box.
4. Ship the box out.
5. Hondata receives the box and reflash the ECU. Then use the return label and ship the box back to you.

There is also the paper work that is required for the customs declaration and arrangements with a brokerage company to clear the items through customs which is handled by the dealer and must be sent along with the ECU.... this is why it is shipped by the Hondata dealer.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:16 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
With the Canadian dollar hovering around 0.90 cents US Hondata is now cheaper than ever. About $670 CAD to be exact. All the more reason to avoid Canadian Hondata dealers and ship directly to the US. Me, I'm waiting for the 0.95 CAD dollar
Old 05-04-2006, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by dom
Me, I'm waiting for the 0.95 CAD dollar
Old 05-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Racer

haha i've been ebaying like a whore.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dom
With the Canadian dollar hovering around 0.90 cents US Hondata is now cheaper than ever. About $670 CAD to be exact. All the more reason to avoid Canadian Hondata dealers and ship directly to the US. Me, I'm waiting for the 0.95 CAD dollar
I rather they have no hassle reflashing(can do the reflash locally in 1 day) then taking advantage of high CAD!
Old 05-05-2006, 05:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ianS
I rather they have no hassle reflashing(can do the reflash locally in 1 day) then taking advantage of high CAD!

Sorry to tell you but there is no one that can do the reflash in 1 day in Canada. Your ECU, emmobilizer and one key must make the trip to Hondata in California and back !!!

Old 05-09-2006, 05:29 PM
Instructor

Talked to Acura Woodbine today and they said they will be contacting HONDATA for a dealer application.
Lets hope real soon.

I WANT HONDATA!!!
Old 05-09-2006, 07:17 PM
Burning Brakes

keep us update and hope they are not charging $1000 for that too!
Old 05-19-2006, 06:52 AM
Intermediate

Anyone in Toronto interested in trying to do a group buy for the reflash, if we get enough interest, I can approach Andy @ Neetronics (only licensed dealer in Mississauga) and see if he can do better than 1000 for the reflash.

I was just at Acura Woodbine, they do not do reflashes. I would expect them to charge a lot even if they did.

Quick Reply: HONDATA for Canadians