Homelink - Turning the lights on

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 10:46 AM
The Short-Bus Pirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homelink - Turning the lights on

I did a quick search and didn't find anything on this topic, so I'm starting a new thread.

I'm a big fan of the Homelink buttons in my TSX. I have programmed them to turn on my porch and entrance lights, as well as open and close the garage door.

I don't use the garage door very often; because...garages are for toys. But, the buttons were there, so I programmed one to control my garage door. It was pretty straight forward. I followed the instructions in the owner's manual.

Here's where I really like what the buttons can do. I bought an automated home light starter kit. The kit came with a key fob remote control, a remote receiver/plug. You plug the receiver into any outlet in your house. You can connect one appliance to it (such as a lamp), but I didn't need to.

In addition to the remote and receiver, I bought a standard remote light switch, and a three-way remote light switch kit.

Installation was easy. You simply remove your existing light switches and replace them with the remote light switches (don't forget to turn off the breaker). The standard remote switch controls my porch light and the three-way controls my entrance light from the door and hallway. Now, with the remote receiver plugged in, I was able to turn the lights on and off with the remote key fob.

Next, I used the remote key fob to program my Homelink buttons in my car. One button is programmed to turn the lights on, and the other is programmed to turn them off (button 3 controls the garage).

I gave the key fob to my wife. She mounted it in her car and loves it.

My outside lighting was wired in a way that made a motion sensor impractical. This system is so much more convenient, and it turns on our entrance light.

The home automation system is pretty cool. You can automate everything; lights, fans, temperature, appliances and even home security systems. The Homelink buttons in your car can be programmed to control any one of those items.

Pairing the Homelink system in your car with an automated home system really opens up some potentially creative opportunites.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:48 AM
is glad to be back!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hmmm... sounds interesting!! perhaps i should look into this!
Old 09-28-2006, 10:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Can you tell us exactly what light switch kits you used? I mean the brand name and where you purchased? How much are we talking about for the light setup? I'm thinking of doing this for my porch and foyer lights.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:03 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that sounds really cool... great for security and practicality..
Old 09-28-2006, 11:05 AM
The Short-Bus Pirate

Home Automation Lights

Yes, I had just realized that I never mentioned the cost. All of the parts cost me about $50.

I used the X10 Home Automation devices. You can see all of their offerings at www.X10.com. They offer a complete line of home automation items, and, since I made my purchase have had several sales making their prices even lower.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:16 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had my homelink wired up to turn on the ceiling fan in my room for fun once...lol

And that X10 stuff is pretty good!
Old 09-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Instructor

^lol
Old 09-29-2006, 03:01 PM
The extra b is for byobb

If you pair the homelink buttons to your home security system, couldn't someone disarm it by just breaking into your car ?
Old 09-29-2006, 06:47 PM
The Short-Bus Pirate

Originally Posted by phirenze
If you pair the homelink buttons to your home security system, couldn't someone disarm it by just breaking into your car ?
Probably, if they knew that's what the buttons did. I don't think that I would ever create the ability to disarm the home security system with a remote. I don't think there are enough unique codes for controlling the home automation system to make it secure. I don't really mind if some neighborhood hacks get a kick out of turning my porch light on, but I would mind them gaining entrance into my house when I thought it was secure.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:02 PM
Advanced

I bought a remote control plug in outlet at my local hardware wharehouse for $10. Took all of 10 seconds to "teach" my homelink the code. Although, after the newness wore off, I didn't use it much. I put my outside lights on timer switches... I like that as an option instead of motion sensor/solar controled lights.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts
Unhappy

Anyone else have problems getting their garage door to work with their homelink? I have tried following the instructions in the manual and the ones that came with my opener, but it doesn't seem to take? Thanks for any help
Old 10-03-2006, 01:18 AM
Instructor

Did you try reseting any residual codes by pressing (correct me if I'm wrong here) either 2 or all 3 buttons at once? I know I had to do that even though my car came new.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:41 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by markm929
Anyone else have problems getting their garage door to work with their homelink? I have tried following the instructions in the manual and the ones that came with my opener, but it doesn't seem to take? Thanks for any help
I think I ran into this problem initially too. Not sure what opener you have...I have a Lift Master. You may have to train the HomeLink to the remote first, and then to the opener's rolling code. Here's what I did:

1. Reset the code. Press and hold the two outside buttons on the HomeLink transceiver for about 20 seconds, until the red indicator flashes. Release the buttons.

2. Unplug the garage door opener motor from the electrical outlet, or do what I did, and disable the opener by pulling on the manual release lever.

3. Hold the end of the garage door opener remote 2 to 5 inches from HomeLink. Make sure you are not blocking your view of the red indicator in HomeLink.

4. Press and hold the remote transmitter button and one of the HomeLink buttons at the same time. Wait for the red indicator in HomeLink to begin flashing.

5. Find the "training" button on your garage door opener unit (depending on the location, or your height, you may need something to stand on to reach the button).

6. Press the training button on the garage door opener unit until the indicator next to the button comes on. The indicator may blink, or come on and stay on. You have approximately 30 seconds to complete the following steps.

7. Press and hold the button on the HomeLink you trained earlier for 3-4 seconds.

8. Press the HomeLink button again. This should operate the garage door.

Good luck!
Old 10-03-2006, 06:17 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by tlbkcal
Did you try reseting any residual codes by pressing (correct me if I'm wrong here) either 2 or all 3 buttons at once? I know I had to do that even though my car came new.

Thanks, I have tried that and itdoesn't wanna playball...lol