HKS Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 04:41 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
HKS Intake

Has anyone installed or seen the HKS intake?

I didn't even know they had an intake out and I was just wondering if anyone has any experiences with it.

Link to HKS site
Old 01-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Subie Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to have that green mushroom installed into my accord. I've compared it to a few other intakes like K&N, WeaponR and it feels the same. But the replacement sponge is expensive!!
Old 01-27-2005, 08:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I've heard once the foam/sponge type filters becomes old and dry, the material starts to deteriate and eventually becomes brittle and falls apart. Then the pieces of dry foam get sucked inside the intake manifold. However, it might not be a big problem if you keep up with the normal maintenance and replace it when required.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:07 PM
Burning Brakes

well .. this dude in another site did the HKS intake ..
it's basically a SR set up .. ~
looks nice ...
Originally Posted by moTSX
Here are the pictures of the HKS Super Power Flow kit installed on my TSX.

With the right tools, it took me around 20-30 mins to install it myself, the tough part is to figure out the right angle of the metal tube included in the kit and disconnect/reconnect the battery.

The kit comes w/ a metal plate I guess it serves as a heat shield or block it from rain/moisture, either way, its something extra I don't usually see from HKS other SPF kit. If any Vancouver guys interested, I know Rev Competition still has a couple set, ask for David he should be able to help you guys out.

Now all I want is to wait till HKS release exhaust for this car......god knows when though.

Motsx
Old 01-27-2005, 09:16 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
They're on crack charging $185 for that kit.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:32 PM
Subie Tech

I pretty much got a 3.5" aluminium tubing from home depot and stuck my HKS onto it. But I'm with Dan, it's NOT worth the $185 bucks. Then again, it's JDM bling!!
Old 01-27-2005, 09:58 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by JeffTSX
IThen again, it's JDM bling!!
If that's JDM bling I'd be happy being USDM.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I think the whole JDM thing is so overrated that people are willing to pay big money for a product simply because it has some Japanese words on it. Granted, there are some very nice JDM products out there, just not everything from Japan is great.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:34 PM
Subie Tech

Originally Posted by JTso
I think the whole JDM thing is so overrated that people are willing to pay big money for a product simply because it has some Japanese words on it. Granted, there are some very nice JDM products out there, just not everything from Japan is great.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:56 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,764 Likes on 2,539 Posts
looks like I might need a new intake now.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:08 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
looks like I might need a new intake now.
you'd be downgrading...
Old 01-28-2005, 08:26 AM

but injen isnt JDM and since I am doing everything else as JDM it needs to be done I am just hoping some JDM company comes out with a better one.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:36 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Just put your stock one on and say you imported one from a Euro Accord
Old 01-28-2005, 01:01 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Just put your stock one on and say you imported one from a Euro Accord

Don't worry we won't tell!
Old 01-28-2005, 01:02 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Nice post Andy....

I wonder how loud that thing is.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:12 PM
Subie Tech

but injen isnt JDM and since I am doing everything else as JDM it needs to be done I am just hoping some JDM company comes out with a better one.
Just by changing to HKS doesn't make you JDM...if you're going to pay that much why not spend more and get either the Mugen setup or ARC setup? You'll get more OOOOOHHHs and AAAHHHHHHHHs when you pop the hood of your nearly stock car with a big ass "A" on the vavle cover....
Save your money man!!
Old 01-28-2005, 04:17 PM

Just by changing to HKS doesn't make you JDM...if you're going to pay that much why not spend more and get either the Mugen setup or ARC setup? You'll get more OOOOOHHHs and AAAHHHHHHHHs when you pop the hood of your nearly stock car with a big ass "A" on the vavle cover....
Save your money man!!
If you take a look at my signature I have a lot and lot of JDM stuff.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:23 PM
Subie Tech

If you take a look at my signature I have a lot and lot of JDM stuff.
Wow...SOOOOOO JDM!!! OOOOHHHHHH So when are you going to swap the K20A in? When are you going to change the door sills to Honda instead of Acura? When are you going to change your WHOLE interior into EuroR? When are you going to get EuroR rims? When are you going to change the gauges to EuroR? When are you going to change the RHD?

Old 01-28-2005, 04:26 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Wow...SOOOOOO JDM!!! OOOOHHHHHH So when are you going to swap the K20A in? When are you going to change the door sills to Honda instead of Acura? When are you going to change your WHOLE interior into EuroR? When are you going to get EuroR rims? When are you going to change the gauges to EuroR? When are you going to change the RHD?

give him a break, colt is a bit zealous, but he's trying hard. that being said, being stylish is better than just being JDM. look how many civic and integra owners think rolling on steelies all year round is "JDM" and therefore cool. that's , its better to be smart.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:49 PM

Hey JeffTSX if you want to bust on my car go ahead, do what you want. If you are interested in what I am doing to my car then you can listen. I plan to do a front clip swap sometime in the next three years. If you don't know what a front clip is, it is the front end of the car from basically just before the front seats all the way up. Includes the dash, right hand drive, engine, tranny, gauges, etc. Around then or maybe at the same time I will also get the front door panels so they meet with the new dash properly. I will also be getting the JDM recaro seats. Eventually I will finish the entire car. NOW you are going to say why not just Import a Euro-R. Well A) there would be no fun of actually doing all the work my self B) It would cost over 75k to import it and then have a governor installed and brought up to us spec. I am building a JDM show car. If you don't that is fine by me I am not pissed off or anything just explaining my self.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:55 PM

Save your money man!!
By the way what is ARC though I have never heard of that company
Old 01-28-2005, 06:20 PM
Professional SLACKER

TSX536, how's the injen intake on your car?
I notice that it rains alot in N. CA. Doesn't CAI suck up water when it rain hard?
I wanted to install them but I'm affraid because it might suck up water.

PS: I'm gonna install that CK3000 in my car this weekend and post will follow.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:41 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by foolioness
TSX536, how's the injen intake on your car?
I notice that it rains alot in N. CA. Doesn't CAI suck up water when it rain hard?
I wanted to install them but I'm affraid because it might suck up water.

PS: I'm gonna install that CK3000 in my car this weekend and post will follow.
The Injen is great! The only knock on it I have is that I lost some torque on the low end. The gains you get on the high end make it worth it though. Plus I drive on the freeway like 80% of the time, so I'm usually in those mid/high rpms quite a bit to pass cars.

As for the rain. It has been raining a lot, but I'm not too worried about the Injen sucking water. I would have to be driving through a very deep puddle and have the filter submerged for this to happen. The filter definitely sits higher than it did on the AEM CAI in my old car, plus I have a K&N drycharger to help keep it dry if water splashes on it.

Read this thread for more info about that:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15822

Glad to hear you're gonna install that bluetooth kit soon. Unfortunately I won't be around if you have q's this weekend, (DSL is down at the house ) But I'm sure if you have q's you can still post in the audio/video section. Good luck man!
Old 01-28-2005, 07:06 PM
Professional SLACKER

TSX536... I've read the CAI thread. Lots of people said not to worry. But just the other day when it rained hard in So Cal, the water was so high, everytime I want to enter a parking lot, the water hits the bottom of my engine causing it to make some steam...... since then I am doubting the CAI. Sorry don't mean to complain.... jut concern.... Have a good one.. Thanx for all ur helps
Old 01-28-2005, 07:24 PM
Subie Tech

Originally Posted by xizor
give him a break, colt is a bit zealous, but he's trying hard. that being said, being stylish is better than just being JDM. look how many civic and integra owners think rolling on steelies all year round is "JDM" and therefore cool. that's , its better to be smart.
Haha, you guys got it all wrong. I'm not trying to give him a hard time here, I'm just setting examples so he could take his money and use it somewhere in which I strongly believe he'll make it look 100 times better than my car.
But hey, it's his money he can do whatever he wants!!!!
Old 01-28-2005, 07:36 PM
Subie Tech

it is the front end of the car from basically just before the front seats all the way up. Includes the dash, right hand drive, engine, tranny, gauges, etc. If you don't that is fine by me I am not pissed off or anything just explaining my self
Haha, you don't need to explain anything to me or anyone here. Just make sure you know what you're doing and your JAY DEE EM bling bling ride would look NICE!!

I am building a JDM show car. .

I must say this JDM thing is getting too overrated. I USED to like JDM styles when I was a kid around 15 and 16 but I'm starting to think not anymore. And it's funny how all these ricers now buy old and beat up 240s and 86 Corollas and TRY to drift in them.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:37 PM
Subie Tech

By the way what is ARC though I have never heard of that company
If you're so JAY DEE EM, go and get yourself an Option magazine and you'll know. Better yet is your friend.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:39 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

I must say this JDM thing is getting too overrated. I USED to like JDM styles when I was a kid around 15 and 16 but I'm starting to think not anymore. And it's funny how all these ricers now buy old and beat up 240s and 86 Corollas and TRY to drift in them.
you liked jdm styles when you were 15 or 16? how old are you? the whole jdm thing didn't really catch on over here in florida until about 2000, which is only 4 years ago.

and an ae86 corolla CAN be a badass drift car - it's well balanced and there is a huge following for that car.

and buying a restoring old cars is pretty respectable to me - it's similar to the guys who restore old domestics.

so i must say i dont agree with your post at all.

Old 01-29-2005, 08:48 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

ok after the reading this thread some more, i must say to CCColtsicehockey, i do agree with JeffTSX on some stuff he says in this thread, just not the above post.

building a jdm show car is fine and dandy, but no offense - tv's aren't exactly my defintion of a jdm show car. and neither is the srs or fuel sticker.

i've seen people do the other stuff you want tho - jdm gauges, jdm seats...which i think is cool. but getting a front clip? seems pointless to me.

dunno, it's your money and your car - but seriously?!? tv's != jdm.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:10 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by dzuy
and buying a restoring old cars is pretty respectable to me - it's similar to the guys who restore old domestics.
The whole AE86 and 240 thing is such a fad though. No one was interested in these cars when they were being sold in the us (hence killing of the 240sx), now every JDM fanboy thinks a SR20DET is God's gift to the world.

A friend of mine is one of those, he sold his integra because he wanted a 240sx so bad. He eventually ended up with a SC300 (wannabe soarer) which is decent. Personally I'd choose a FC or FD RX7.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:04 PM
Subie Tech

Originally Posted by dzuy
you liked jdm styles when you were 15 or 16? how old are you? the whole jdm thing didn't really catch on over here in florida until about 2000, which is only 4 years ago.
I am 23 right now and I've been following/interested in the whole Japanese car lifestyles since I was a kid. I WAS happy when the JDM theme came over whe it was still kinda underground, but didn't know it was going to end up like this whole fad now. Soon or later, the ricers are going to kill it.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:09 PM
Subie Tech

Originally Posted by xizor
The whole AE86 and 240 thing is such a fad though. No one was interested in these cars when they were being sold in the us (hence killing of the 240sx), now every JDM fanboy thinks a SR20DET is God's gift to the world.

A friend of mine is one of those, he sold his integra because he wanted a 240sx so bad. He eventually ended up with a SC300 (wannabe soarer) which is decent. Personally I'd choose a FC or FD RX7.
I sooooo with you. I know a few people that used to swear by Hondas now diss the shit outta them cause it can't drift. Of course they now all own 240s and 1985-1986 Corollas and these guys know nothing about them, don't know how to fix them, what the car can and can't do, etc. But they do know that it was in Intial D. sigh
Old 01-29-2005, 03:20 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

I am 23 right now and I've been following/interested in the whole Japanese car lifestyles since I was a kid. I WAS happy when the JDM theme came over whe it was still kinda underground, but didn't know it was going to end up like this whole fad now. Soon or later, the ricers are going to kill it.
i guess that's true. some people won't buy anything unless they feel it's JDM - granted - alot of jdm stuff is nice - but some stuff is just overboard.

i remember when jdm was just getting popular - i had a super street magazine with a silver hatch w/ a swap - and it had the spoon sw88 wheels and i thought it was so cool - and alot of people were like - that's ugly, it needs some 17 or 18 inch wheels, andi just laughed to myself b/c i thought it was so cool.

then years later - rice a roni company rota finally catches the jdm craze idea and releases the rota slipstream - a total rice wheel and company imo. and they sell like hot cakes.

rota = wanna be jdm but dont wanna spend jdm money or time looking for it

so yea this whole jdm thing is crazy - as well as this "i gotta have a 240 or ae86" thing. and you're right about how alot of people turned away from honda.

nissan motors and parts are so much cheaper tho - and you can get more power for less money, but i'm fine my tsx, uh i mean jdm euro r

Old 01-29-2005, 04:42 PM
Burning Brakes

ummm... whats the poiint of this JDM nonsense. are you gaining certain value by doing that, gainign unseen performance? does it look any better?
whats wrong with north america you damn crazy people
Old 03-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I sooooo with you. I know a few people that used to swear by Hondas now diss the shit outta them cause it can't drift. Of course they now all own 240s and 1985-1986 Corollas and these guys know nothing about them, don't know how to fix them, what the car can and can't do, etc. But they do know that it was in Intial D. sigh

I am sick of this DRIFT trend!
Old 03-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Pro

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKKKKKK?!?!?!?!?!??!!? so enough about this jdm B.S. whats the verdict guys? HKS intake is a go or no go? haha thats all i was interested in seeing.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:12 PM
Master Graphic Artist

Hey JeffTSX if you want to bust on my car go ahead, do what you want. If you are interested in what I am doing to my car then you can listen. I plan to do a front clip swap sometime in the next three years. If you don't know what a front clip is, it is the front end of the car from basically just before the front seats all the way up. Includes the dash, right hand drive, engine, tranny, gauges, etc. Around then or maybe at the same time I will also get the front door panels so they meet with the new dash properly. I will also be getting the JDM recaro seats. Eventually I will finish the entire car. NOW you are going to say why not just Import a Euro-R. Well A) there would be no fun of actually doing all the work my self B) It would cost over 75k to import it and then have a governor installed and brought up to us spec. I am building a JDM show car. If you don't that is fine by me I am not pissed off or anything just explaining my self.
Whoa, you forreal on that one?
Old 03-11-2006, 04:14 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HaPPy jU1cE
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKKKKKK?!?!?!?!?!??!!? so enough about this jdm B.S. whats the verdict guys? HKS intake is a go or no go? haha thats all i was interested in seeing.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Master Graphic Artist

Originally Posted by HaPPy jU1cE
Try it out, I'm sure you'll like it, it'll be a lot louder on WOT than stock and I'll probably feel the extra power. But then again you can get the same results from an AEM, K&N, Injen, Fujita, Weapon R. All presonal preference I guess.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:05 PM
Pro

There are certain JDM products that are SOOO cool, I gotta admit.
For example, Gruppe M carbon intake or Amuse full titanium exhaust. That's bitch'in.
I USED to go crazy over JDM products also, back when no one heard of Option and people think i'm crazy of buying $15 car magz.
Anyway, back to the topic I think that HKS intake does not worth $185. It simply is just SRI with green filter attached to it given that it comes with heat sheild, which looks like being manufactured from Home Depot. I would suggest on getting an Injen instead since you could go either SRI or CAI.

Quick Reply: HKS Intake