Hi beam lightbulb swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It looks like the GE Nighthawks might be off the market...shame because of all the good I've read about them, and my own experience with them in one other car.

I just did an experiment, replacing one of the H1 high beam bulbs with a Silverstar, and leaving the other, original bulb in place. Looking at them side by side at night, two things are noticeable: 1) the Silverstar is definitely whiter/bluer - almost matching the color of the HID low beams. 2) But more importantly, the Silverstar doesn't illuminate as well as the other bulb!

The simple fact is that the Silverstar bulbs need to be coated blue to take away the yellow light and make the final result white. Well, yellow light is still light...you take it away and the end result is less light. Couple that to the fact that the H1 bulb is already one of the (if not THE) brightest standard halogen automotive bulbs out there, and...well, I'll be removing the Silverstar and returning them later this week. (Perhaps the difference is more positive/dramatic with other bulbs like 9005 or 9006 bulbs, which have less output to begin with.)

By the way, if people post photos comparing regular to SilverStar bulbs, don't believe them. I took pictures too, but it turns out that the camera has a much easier time seeing blue light than yellow, and so the Silverstar side of my experiment actually DOES look brighter IN MY PHOTOS, even though they are NOT in real life. Just my 2 cents.

**UPDATE**
I've come to notice that the light coming from the Silverstar is actually a little more blue/green than the light coming from my HIDs.

I bring this up because I would wager that the Silverstar ULTRA (which I could not find in H1 format yet) may have achieved their "Whiter/brighter/longer lasting than regular Silverstars" claim by doing two things: 1) lightening the blue/green coating on the glass, thus removing the slight blue/greenish tint and letting more light through, which consequently allows them to 2) reduce the wattage to the bulb, thus extending the life.

Bottom line, though, is that filtered light is reduced light - period.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm curious if any one has done any sort true HID conversion on the high beams. This seems like as good a place as any to ask.

I just put the Sylvania Siverstars in last night since I found them on sale for $30/pair. I'm still envious of my friends Legacy GT. The high beams on that thing (HID) are bright enough to get a tan from. I pity the fool that earns them self a blasting from those things.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^where did u get the silverstars from?
Old 11-21-2007, 12:42 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
I'm curious if any one has done any sort true HID conversion on the high beams. This seems like as good a place as any to ask.

I just put the Sylvania Siverstars in last night since I found them on sale for $30/pair. I'm still envious of my friends Legacy GT. The high beams on that thing (HID) are bright enough to get a tan from. I pity the fool that earns them self a blasting from those things.
Legacy GTs have HID lights? And high beams too?????? Is that new for 08? Is it a Spec B?
Old 11-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^they might have the bixenons like the TLs...i don't know why anyone would want seperate HID high beams.