Help! I can't get this damn thing off...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 03:16 PM
Design By Force

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! I can't get this damn thing off...

Trying to install my comptech short shift kit, and I can't seem to get the cupholder/housing around the shift boot off. I broke off the small trim peice around the shift boot just trying to get it off. There just doesn't seem any way to get any leverage to pull the thing straight up. The clips seem like they just don't want to give, has anyone taken this panel off, and if so how did they do it?
Old 08-16-2004, 03:25 PM
Registered AssHat

Originally Posted by theARCHITECT
Trying to install my comptech short shift kit, and I can't seem to get the cupholder/housing around the shift boot off. I broke off the small trim peice around the shift boot just trying to get it off. There just doesn't seem any way to get any leverage to pull the thing straight up. The clips seem like they just don't want to give, has anyone taken this panel off, and if so how did they do it?
There are four screws holding it down.

The first two are underneath the rubber pad in the armrest storage.

The other two are attached to the "this is not an ashtray".

To get THAT out, you'll need to just pull on the other storage bin just above. Reach inside, push your fingers to the outside (left and right) and pull. It'll pop out.

I MAY have this wrong. And I've sold my Helms manual.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:38 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
No screws, just clips. There are two screws holding the not an ashtray in but none holding the center console.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:46 PM
Registered AssHat

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
No screws, just clips. There are two screws holding the not an ashtray in but none holding the center console.
Yup. My mistake. Dan is right. I'm thinking of the WHOLE arm-rest/shifter assembly. THAT is held down by screws. Sorry.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:37 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
If you're still having trouble getting it out you can CAREFULLY pry the console out with a wide flat screwdriver. It helps to put some tape over the end of the screwdriver so that you don't scratch the plastic. Go super slow and just be extra careful to not scratch anything.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:16 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

this was my method. grip inside the shift boot and get the front end out. You'll have about half of the console out.. that's the easy part. Then grip between the cupholder and e-brake and pull straight up. Make sure you aren't bending the console too much. It is a major PITA to get out, I broke a clip, but nothing on the outside luckily.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:35 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I have found that being right-handed, I do much better with this if I am in the driver's seat. In the pass seat, I get lousy leverage.

Make sure the NOT AN ASHTRAY door is open.

Oh, and pretend it ain't your car - that always helps.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:51 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone had a post about taking a pair of pliers and using the handle to pry up that back piece. You just insert the handle into the opening where the e-brake is.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:06 AM
Design By Force

Thanks everyone, i'll give those a try. The problem is the leverage, and i was going to use a flat head screwdriver, but i was afraid of making scratches... there is barely any gap for me to fit one in. The tape sounds like a good idea, ill give that a try first. I heard that this is the hardest part of the short shifter install... anyone else run into any other trouble?
Old 08-17-2004, 12:12 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by theARCHITECT
Thanks everyone, i'll give those a try. The problem is the leverage, and i was going to use a flat head screwdriver, but i was afraid of making scratches... there is barely any gap for me to fit one in. The tape sounds like a good idea, ill give that a try first. I heard that this is the hardest part of the short shifter install... anyone else run into any other trouble?
its the hardest part... but it doesn't get that much easier =P Getting the rubber mat out ofthe bottom of the armrest was difficult, then figuring out how the not-an-ashtray was attached confused me too. there have been good suggestions in this thread already though.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:32 AM
Just dial 1911

The only other gotcha I can think of is when you have to undo the 4 bolts that hold down the shift column, there is one that is difficult to get to. I was eventually able to get a socket on it, but if you have a small adjustable wrench that might work.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:38 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by joerockt
The only other gotcha I can think of is when you have to undo the 4 bolts that hold down the shift column, there is one that is difficult to get to. I was eventually able to get a socket on it, but if you have a small adjustable wrench that might work.
I used a regular wrench since I couldn't get a socket and ratchet in there. A ratcheting wrench would be perfect for that bolt. I don't remember if you have to take off the housing though, the Neuspeed instructions say not to.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:00 AM
Just dial 1911

Yea, might not have to, but its a lot eaiser to work with if you do I found.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:51 PM
Instructor

The right tools make the job easier. I went to sears and purchased a nail remover. It has a small hook like nail remover on one end but the other end has a 1 1/2" wide very thin slightly curved blade for prying. It fit in the space between shift panel and the center console giving the much needed leverage to get that panel off without marking or breaking it. Came out no problem. I would have put a pic in here but I dont know how to put a pic in the damn thread without hosting it on my site.