View Poll Results: Which filter/lid combo will yield more gains.
K&N Filter and Stock Airbox Lid
26.19%
Icebox Filter and Icebox Lid
26.19%
No performance difference between the two
4.76%
Silly jlukja, 5AT TSX isn't a fast car
42.86%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Which filter & airbox lid combo is better?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005 | 09:35 AM
Team Owner

Which filter & airbox lid combo is better?

As I mentioned in another thread, I have a choice to make. I installed the Icebox snorkel but neither the K&N filter nor my OEM filter fit the airbox lid. So, which option do you think will yield more gains. Should I go with the K&N filter and the stock airbox lid or with the Icebox filter and Icebox lid? Help me decide. Noise level between the two options is not a consideration.
Old 08-31-2005 | 09:39 AM
send me a link to JDM??

Originally Posted by jlukja
As I mentioned in another thread, I have a choice to make. I installed the Icebox snorkel but neither the K&N filter nor my OEM filter fit the airbox lid. So, which option do you think will yield more gains. Should I go with the K&N filter and the stock airbox lid or with the Icebox filter and Icebox lid? Help me decide. Noise level between the two options is not a consideration.
Although I doubt there have been any dyno's of it I would go with K&N and stock lid. The Icebox filter sucks so much I think changing the filter would make more of a difference the the rather small difference in the lid size. Either way you are leaving the comptech snorkel right?
Old 08-31-2005 | 09:43 AM
Noobie 6MT driver

I'm in the same situation as you jlukja, and as my oem filter doesn't fit into the comptech lid. Heck, even my comptech lid with the supplied filter doesn't fit the lower airbox for some reason, therefore, i am thinking of switching to a k&n filter with oem lid.

That being said, i doubt we can feel the difference between the two.
Old 08-31-2005 | 09:53 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TSX.Fury
Either way you are leaving the comptech snorkel right?
Old 08-31-2005 | 09:57 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TSXDude
Heck, even my comptech lid with the supplied filter doesn't fit the lower airbox for some reason...
Shit, I didn't even try that yet, I just assumed that it would. In that case the decision will be made for me.
Old 08-31-2005 | 10:27 AM
My Garage

just get the CAI
Old 08-31-2005 | 11:51 AM
Audi Driving Snob

Don't forget that aside from the large volume airbox lid the intake tube that leads to the throttle body in the icebox lid is larger in diameter which will no doubt provide some gains.

I'm all stock now and have been for a while but was thinking of putting the icebox lid on with the resonator in place to see if I can get some the improved throttle response of having the larger lid without all the noise.
Old 08-31-2005 | 12:49 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TinkySD
Don't forget that aside from the large volume airbox lid the intake tube that leads to the throttle body in the icebox lid is larger in diameter which will no doubt provide some gains.

I'm all stock now and have been for a while but was thinking of putting the icebox lid on with the resonator in place to see if I can get some the improved throttle response of having the larger lid without all the noise.

I'm not sure your the best person to be giving advice on this subject.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16195

Old 09-01-2005 | 10:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
just get the CAI

That sound is nasty.

It was cool when I was 16, but on a TSX????
Old 09-01-2005 | 11:05 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TinkySD

Yep, I'm feeling a decrease in throttle response with the K&N and stock airbox lid. But, when I had the Icebox lid with the stock filter it wasn't sealed properly and unfiltered air was getting into the throttle body. So I guess the engine was breathing even freer then. I might just put in the Comptech Icebox lid and filter on this weekend. I'm thinking, with the nominal gains to be had, I'd rather go for the throttle response then the HP increase.
Old 09-01-2005 | 12:02 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally Posted by dom
I'm not sure your the best person to be giving advice on this subject.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16195

Old 09-01-2005 | 12:49 PM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Here's my thoughts

Foam filter sucks

Comptech lid/kn-stock filter is good but it doesn't seal properely. So you will be drawing in hot air from the engine. I tried this for about 200 miles. My gas milage and mid range power with down.

Stock lid and filter I will try this on saturday. I know that you will get less air than with the comptech lid but if you add a kn filter at least it will flow better.

These are only my observations.
Old 09-01-2005 | 01:14 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe

That sound is nasty.

It was cool when I was 16, but on a TSX????
THe sound isn't that bad, only at WOT over 4K rpm's. Its worth it to me, considering the CAI is on everyones top 3 list of best mods you can do to this car.
Old 09-01-2005 | 02:23 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by batman
Comptech lid/kn-stock filter is good but it doesn't seal properely. So you will be drawing in hot air from the engine. I tried this for about 200 miles. My gas milage and mid range power with down.
Yes, I've noticed my gas mileage had decreased by about 2mpg since I installed the Icebox. I figured that, initially it was because I was driving it harder but I tried to baby it the last couple of refils and it was still down.
Old 09-01-2005 | 03:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
THe sound isn't that bad, only at WOT over 4K rpm's. Its worth it to me, considering the CAI is on everyones top 3 list of best mods you can do to this car.

I understand the perf is good, but I load my eninge a lot and get really sick of the sound. Injens have never sounded good to me. I have always liked AEM better.
Old 09-01-2005 | 03:11 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally Posted by jlukja
Yes, I've noticed my gas mileage had decreased by about 2mpg since I installed the Icebox. I figured that, initially it was because I was driving it harder but I tried to baby it the last couple of refils and it was still down.
I noticed the same thing. My theory is that you lose a good amount of part throttle torque so you have to either rev it up higher or push harder on the accelerator to get up to speed.

The loss of part throttle torque(which I noticed with all combinations of the resonator out and with different lids) stands to some reason. With the resonator removed the airbox has access to more air. But that doesn't mean that the air flow is organized in any way to increase effeciency. In fact you would intuitively think that since the openings are larger you will see reduced air velocity entering the manifold for given accelerator position which means less power created.

Of course those bigger openings also means you gain power at full throttle.
Old 03-11-2006 | 04:52 PM
Pro

Exclamation Icebox with stock filter

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd revive this one.
Anyway, i'm facing the same problem as the others.

I have the comptech icebox and foam filter installed for about a month or so. Since I've been reading about how the comptech foam filter sucks, I wanted to try the stock filter on my icebox. Well, I removed the 4 screw spacers on the icebox lid, sat the stock filter on the lower portion of the stock box, and installed the icebox lid on top. When I first tried to screw it down, I noticed that the bolts were too long so there would be some play between the top and bottom lid..

I proceeded to remove the screws and this time I used a ghetto method of using multiple spacers on the screws to get all four corners to screw down tight.. Now, I noticed that there is no play between the bottom stock box and icebox lid. Even though there is no play between the boxes and everything is super tight, is the seal still bad? Would I be better off putting the foam filter back in? Driving around, the intake sound seems a little louder and WOT has a nice deep growl. The car feels faster to me. I can chirp my tires very loudly when I WOT with VSA off from a standstill.

Does anyone have any pics or any reason why the icebox does not make a tight seal with the stock filter? I really can't see how it doesn't fit. I guess pics would really help those that have the icebox lid with the stock filter or even k&n filter. Are there gaps on the flared ends of the icebox filter that can't be seen? Thanks
Old 03-11-2006 | 11:09 PM
Team Owner

I finally went with this solution: http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25198
I had to do it twice to seal properly (the second time I went with one continuous section of weatherseal). Also, same as NJTSXMan, I added spacers to the screws. Seems to be working fine now.
Old 03-11-2006 | 11:59 PM
Racer

Is it me, or am I the only one having problems with the screws not being long enough? I cant get the one front driver's side to catch. Comptech lid, stock filter. Im going to get some weather stripping myself in the morning to complete this.

Just wondering if Im the only one who cant get one screw to catch, while others are having to add spacers to thiers. I must be doing something wrong. Ive checked and rechecked and mashed down the lid pretty well to make sure it is fitted (the front suspension gives Im pushing down so hard).
Old 03-12-2006 | 10:53 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by arch
Is it me, or am I the only one having problems with the screws not being long enough? I cant get the one front driver's side to catch. Comptech lid, stock filter. Im going to get some weather stripping myself in the morning to complete this.

Just wondering if Im the only one who cant get one screw to catch, while others are having to add spacers to thiers. I must be doing something wrong. Ive checked and rechecked and mashed down the lid pretty well to make sure it is fitted (the front suspension gives Im pushing down so hard).
Arch, the reason why the screws were too long for me when reinstalling the icebox lid with the stock filter was because I removed the 4 screw spacer thingys that come attached to the icebox. Why did I do that? Well, i thought I read somewhere that those spacers were the cause of the fitment issues with the stock filter.

jlukja, did you remove the 4 screw spacers on the icebox lid when you installed yours? Or did you leave them on? Also, what is the item # for that weatherseal. I want to go to homedepot and get it. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2006 | 11:05 PM
Racer

Crap, I dropped and lost a screw this afternoon. Does anyone know the part number for replacement screws for the lid?
Old 03-13-2006 | 09:44 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NJTSXMan
jlukja, did you remove the 4 screw spacers on the icebox lid when you installed yours? Or did you leave them on? Also, what is the item # for that weatherseal. I want to go to homedepot and get it. Thanks.
I didn't remove anything from the Icebox lid. When I tightened down the lid with the screws I had just a little bit of play in it. I went to Ace and got 4 washers that were approx. 1/16" thick and used one washer under the head of each bolt. That seemed to do the trick.

As for the weatherseal, the number on the box is 01033. I bought mine at Lowes and it was the only Marine & Automotive weatherseal that was displayed. I live in SoCal so we may not get the variety of weatherseals that some other locales get. If yours has more than one look for one that is 5/16" thick and 19/32" wide. Here is the pic from the other thread:
Originally Posted by minkl81
Old 03-13-2006 | 09:50 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by arch
Crap, I dropped and lost a screw this afternoon. Does anyone know the part number for replacement screws for the lid?
Looks like its Item #16 on this drawing from Acura Automobile Parts :

Product No. 83902, Bolt-Washer (5x28), $2.29 ea.
Old 03-13-2006 | 11:15 AM
Racer

do you guys think the comptech icebox is worth the money to get? or should i add another $50-60 for an injen cai instead? i've read thru a couple of threads and people have to mod their icebox in order to get it fit with the k&N drop in cause the stock icebox filter sucks. Plus the feedback from the icebox users are not as good as the users from the injen cai. although icebox has the lowest price. K&N's price is the highest among the CAI, i would personally go for the K&N typhoon for my taste but it's so expensive. what do you guys think?
Old 03-13-2006 | 11:24 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by shitbox
do you guys think the comptech icebox is worth the money to get? or should i add another $50-60 for an injen cai instead? i've read thru a couple of threads and people have to mod their icebox in order to get it fit with the k&N drop in cause the stock icebox filter sucks. Plus the feedback from the icebox users are not as good as the users from the injen cai. although icebox has the lowest price. K&N's price is the highest among the CAI, i would personally go for the K&N typhoon for my taste but it's so expensive. what do you guys think?
No need to mod the Icebox if you just use the filter that came with the Icebox. You probably need to mod it if you use the K&N but its been debated on this board whether the K&N gives you any benefits over the stock or Icebox filter. The Icebox is quieter and will not rob you of as much low end torque as the Injen CAI will. Its all a matter of preference after that.
Old 03-13-2006 | 11:04 PM
Racer

Thanks for the link and tip jlukja