Fastline Performance Metal Cat Preview, and some "random" news?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 03:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Fastline Performance Metal Cat Preview, and some "random" news?!?!?!

Hey folks, I've been working on this high flow converter project and am finally at a point where the excitement cannot be contained any more. This converter should be the ticket for all you power junkies out there craving max flow and power from your converter.

We have taken a few comparison shots against the other popular brand which we all know about already. NOW FOR THE PICS:

Side by side. FLP is direct bolt-in, as is the incumbent. Both feature TIG welds.:

We are using 2.25" stainless for the piping versus 2.00":

Our flanges are CNC Machined to tighter tolerances and the incumbent's CNC plasma (we are extending an educated guess on the cut. Laser and water jet look different than this):

Our flanges are welded in place giving a perfect fit. Spin flanges are ok, but do not give a factory mating to the header and exhaust, and represent a lack of R&D on the part of the manufacturer. Basically, its a shortcut. We don't shortcut.:

The Fastline Performance converter uses a Magnaflow/Carsound Metal Cat. This esteemed brand is completely designed and manufactured completely in the USA, inside and out. Magnaflow makes the core bricks, doses them with precious metal slurry, welds the tube bodies from raw coil, stuffs and spins the bodies in a Nihon spin machine, and etches the converter's Born-On date, guaranteeing freshness. There are only 2 parts in the converter. The body and the brick.

And about the core......Brand "R" Claims 200 cells per inch. So does Magnaflow.....

I know that Magnaflow makes 100, 200, and 300 cell bricks. Magnaflow engineers tell me that the 200 cell core is standard on all off-the shelf metal cats, which this is. The argument of percentage difference supports this claim. If the Magnaflow cat were 300 cells, the "R" one would be more than 400, and that's getting pretty small. Likewise, if it were 100 cells, the brand "R" would be 140 or so and neither one would actually pass smog.

The Fastline Performance converter will sell for $345 plus shipping (figure about $360 shipped) and will come with new hardware to install properly. We'll start taking orders Dec 1st. Release date is expected around Dec 12th.

Marcus

*disclaimer, it is illegal to remove a functioning cat from a car.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:50 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice. If/when my "Brand R" needs replacing, I'll be going with one of these. The static flange is a huge plus to me, I strongly dislike the spinning flange. It always made me nervous that I didn't have an optimal seal, even with doubled-up gaskets.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice cat! I would recommend extending the overall length by another 1/4" from the stock cat length. Stock length is 17-3/4". This will help prevent aftermarket header flex pipes from coming apart.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JTso
Nice cat! I would recommend extending the overall length by another 1/4" from the stock cat length. Stock length is 17-3/4". This will help prevent aftermarket header flex pipes from coming apart.
The only thing that's going to prevent that is if they start using better flex pipes.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JTso
Let the header manufacturer(s) worry about this. I'm being selfish here, but I had my header lengthened by about 1/4" or 3/8", so if I were to buy a high-flow cat like this one (which looks great by the way!), I wouldn't want it to extend my exhaust any further!

Marcus, this thing looks great. If/when my OEM one dies, which I'm sure is sooner than later (a lot of burned oil went through mine a year or two ago!), I'll be calling you for this one.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Marcus, 2 questions:

1) Has this been test fitted to a TSX already? Any issues with gaskets, seals, etc?

2) The issue of CELs always comes up with the other cat. Does this cat resolve that?

If its all good, its going to be a very happy xmas for my TSX.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
Marcus, 2 questions:

1) Has this been test fitted to a TSX already? Any issues with gaskets, seals, etc?

2) The issue of CELs always comes up with the other cat. Does this cat resolve that?

If its all good, its going to be a very happy xmas for my TSX.
1- happening this week, but all we need to get is the rear flange orientation.
2- probably not, but I can't say for sure. The problem is high flow = less cells = less surface area = less exhaust cleaning = more possibility for cels.

Marcus
Old 11-18-2008, 02:51 PM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
hmm do you think this may fix any leak issues regarding the "R" cat and the floating flanges?
Old 11-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
We are using 2.25" stainless for the piping versus 2.00".
Just a heads up RT is 2.25" IN and 2" OUT.

And about the core......Brand "R" Claims 200 cells per inch. So does Magnaflow.....

Magnaflow engineers tell me that the 200 cell core is standard on all off-the shelf metal cats, which this is. T
Random Tech is a 300 cell cat. They have never claimed 200 cell; some ppl say 200 cell but it has always been 300 cell. Also the Magnaflow rep told me their cat was 300 cell for the off the shelf. Odd. And you beat me to this; I was working on a similar project with larger piping :P

Congrats on the new project.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:46 PM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
Just a heads up RT is 2.25" IN and 2" OUT.

Random Tech is a 300 cell cat. They have never claimed 200 cell; some ppl say 200 cell but it has always been 300 cell. Also the Magnaflow rep told me their cat was 300 cell for the off the shelf. Odd. And you beat me to this; I was working on a similar project with larger piping :P

Congrats on the new project.
Holla if you need a TSX for test fitment.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
damn i want one, cut i have a new rt already
Old 11-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$15 more. It better be worth it
Old 11-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Driver/Detailer

Include a defouler in the kit for a few dollars more, and it would be a great package which avoids CELs.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Team Hybrid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1- happening this week, but all we need to get is the rear flange orientation.
2- probably not, but I can't say for sure. The problem is high flow = less cells = less surface area = less exhaust cleaning = more possibility for cels.

Marcus
Whos gonna be the tester

Marcus, your project is looking good!

a bit off topic: Do you know what's the cell counts on the FEEL'S metal cat?
Old 11-20-2008, 03:22 AM
Former Sponsor

We'll make sure there are no CELs. No problem on that guys

Kevin, our buddy Nick is helping out. No idea on the FEELs. Wanna order one so we can see it?
Old 11-20-2008, 05:03 PM
Racer

I'll order one once I find someone to install it for me.
So this is the better version of the R. Technology one?
Old 11-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Safety Car

^^Its a couple of bolts. If its made to the right specs and fits well the most trouble you'll likely have is getting off the old one.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by losothefatso
I'll order one once I find someone to install it for me.
So this is the better version of the R. Technology one?
Well, the flanges are better, the core is freer flowing, and the piping is bigger. So it will flow more and we anticipate it will fit better.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:03 AM
Team Hybrid

We'll make sure there are no CELs. No problem on that guys

Kevin, our buddy Nick is helping out. No idea on the FEELs. Wanna order one so we can see it?
when will the test fitting take place? maybe I can witness the fitting and get my pulleys :p
and uhhhh i dont have funds for buy any feels
Old 11-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Monday. Nick is getting a camber kit installed at the same time. The kit has come in and we are testing on Monday morning.

Marcus
Old 11-22-2008, 08:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Wow, that's nice design! I wonder if this Fastline test pipe will be better performance than RT and 1TR? The price is a little expensive for Fastline but it should be best test pipe for TSX. Let me know how did Fastline performance on TSX!
Old 11-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Racer

Marcus how much should I expect to get quoted on installation from shop. I'll be the piggy to buy this if installation is reasonable :p
Old 11-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Time to Climb

^ this is one install that absolutely anyone can do!

jack ur car up
remove factorty cat (6 bolts -- 3 on each side)
install new cat in place of factory and reuse all bolts
lower car
ride out =)
Old 11-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GSGOMEZ
Wow, that's nice design! I wonder if this Fastline test pipe will be better performance than RT and 1TR? The price is a little expensive for Fastline but it should be best test pipe for TSX. Let me know how did Fastline performance on TSX!

You are a little off here....the FLP is not a test pipe, its a high flow cat.

RT - is like $330 shipped with a half-assed hardware kit including 2 gaskets (that don't really work with the design, incidently). But it does make some power because it is high flow. Also, there is an issue with this cat throwing codes.

T1R - The fitment is a lot better, but there it no converter here as it is a true test pipe. It makes more power but for sure it is going to make the car louder too. In addition to being completely illegal while the Fastline and RT cats are only illegal without the guilt. But the fact that is has no cat is why it is cheaper.

Fastline - The price is higher because it is made better. You won't need a gasket with it, and high end stainless hardware is included. It will flow better than the RT as well. All this adds into the cost. And for $30 more its worth it. The RT flanges cost $5 each. the FLP ones cost $25 each. So there you have it. The money is in the flanges. The FLP cat will not throw codes either. We discussed with the manufacturer today and it will use an extended O2 bung that will guarantee no thrown codes.

So for an extra $30 over the RT we don't think that it is expensive at all, but certainly worth every penny.

Marcus
Old 11-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by losothefatso
Marcus how much should I expect to get quoted on installation from shop. I'll be the piggy to buy this if installation is reasonable :p
I'd say not more thank like $30.

Marcus
Old 11-24-2008, 07:54 PM
Time to Climb

RT - is like $330 shipped with a half-assed hardware kit including 2 gaskets (that don't really work with the design, incidently). But it does make some power because it is high flow. Also, there is an issue with this cat throwing codes.

T1R - The fitment is a lot better, but there it no converter here as it is a true test pipe. It makes more power but for sure it is going to make the car louder too. In addition to being completely illegal while the Fastline and RT cats are only illegal without the guilt. But the fact that is has no cat is why it is cheaper.

Fastline - The price is higher because it is made better. You won't need a gasket with it, and high end stainless hardware is included. It will flow better than the RT as well. All this adds into the cost. And for $30 more its worth it. The RT flanges cost $5 each. the FLP ones cost $25 each. So there you have it. The money is in the flanges. The FLP cat will not throw codes either. We discussed with the manufacturer today and it will use an extended O2 bung that will guarantee no thrown codes.

So for an extra $30 over the RT we don't think that it is expensive at all, but certainly worth every penny.
Marcus
110% agreed. i'm on my 2nd rt cat (the first one was replaced due to an accident, but it was starting to fail prior to that). there was an annoying rattle coming from the flange/gasket that bolts to the exhaust side

actually, i had to use 2 gaskets on that one side to keep from throwing CELs. short answer = fitment could've been better

if the fastline unit shows dyno proven gains, YOU CAN BET I'LL ORDER 1 FROM YOU MARCUS WHEN I GET THE CUSTOM EXHAUST BUILT.

(prolly will buy a braille then too. what a shame, i really don't need any of this stuff )
Old 11-24-2008, 08:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by godfather2
^ this is one install that absolutely anyone can do!

jack ur car up
remove factorty cat (6 bolts -- 3 on each side)
install new cat in place of factory and reuse all bolts
lower car
ride out =)
I guess I fail at everything then
Old 11-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Time to Climb

^ just get under your car and look at the cat. once you study the thing for 2 min i'm sure you'll find you can replace it on your own
Old 12-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Safety Car

Hey Marcus, how's it going on with this part? How did testing/test fit go?

I didn't find it on your website or in the Black Market anywhere.

I know Hondata's getting alot noteriety, but if this is a good fitting part, made to fit on a TSX specifically, and at less risk of CEL, I'm ready to put down some money.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Advanced

Come on Marcus, updates please. Im really looking into this. Dont mind spending the money for a better built product.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:45 AM
-Nick-

Hey guys, the test fitting went well. It was just a prototype, so it still needed the final welds. So, I didn't start the car with it on, but that should be happening later this week when I go back to test the final version on my car
Old 12-02-2008, 08:52 AM
Safety Car

^^That's great news. Thanks for the heads up.

Let us know how the rest of it goes.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:36 AM
初めまして

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
By they way Marcus, it claims that there will be no need for gaskets, but just to be on the safer side of things (especially w/ our aftermarket header issues), would you recommend adding them anyway?

we won't know for sure until it's been fully tested, so.. Subscribed!
Old 12-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
Hey Marcus, how's it going on with this part? How did testing/test fit go?

I didn't find it on your website or in the Black Market anywhere.

I know Hondata's getting alot noteriety, but if this is a good fitting part, made to fit on a TSX specifically, and at less risk of CEL, I'm ready to put down some money.
We hat a hiatus over the holiday. Can't a brotha eat some turkey?

And if it is safe to run with no gaskets....why would you run them anyway? I don't see what header issues have to do with it either, since the issues are not leaking, it is something else.

Marcus
Old 12-02-2008, 12:16 PM
Safety Car

^^Sorry man, I forgot that you had a life outside of this stuff. Sounds good so far; carry on...
Old 12-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Advanced

Marcus
I am willing to buy this because of the bolded text above is reason enough!
Old 12-08-2008, 12:47 AM
-Nick-

Marcus has the final version ready, and hopefully sometime this upcoming week I will have it installed on my car. I will post an update once it is installed, and then a few days after the installation I will give a review of it.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:40 PM
-Nick-

OK guys, I just got back from having the final version installed on my car. I wasn't really expecting any gains right away, since normally it takes the ECU a little while to adjust. In the short 15 minute drive home I already noticed a little gain in mid-range power and a nice gain when vtec kicks in. I have the stock cat back, and my car doesn't really sound too much louder. It is a little bit louder though, especially above 5k+ it is noticeably louder. I don't have any other performance mods other than an Icebox, so I am pretty impressed so far. After a few more drives it should run even better I will post again later this weekend after the ECU has had some time to adjust.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CGP06tsx
OK guys, I just got back from having the final version installed on my car. I wasn't really expecting any gains right away, since normally it takes the ECU a little while to adjust. In the short 15 minute drive home I already noticed a little gain in mid-range power and a nice gain when vtec kicks in. I have the stock cat back, and my car doesn't really sound too much louder. It is a little bit louder though, especially above 5k+ it is noticeably louder. I don't have any other performance mods other than an Icebox, so I am pretty impressed so far. After a few more drives it should run even better I will post again later this weekend after the ECU has had some time to adjust.
How long before the ECU normally adjusts in your opinion?
Old 12-10-2008, 01:55 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It depends. It has to hit each of its modes a few times before it switches over from base mapping. There's a list of things to do with the car to make it relearn the mapping as quickly as possible (3 wot pulls from 10 to 40 mph, 3 at half throttle, etc., etc.). I came across it in a post about emissions testing since the OBD test will fail if the ECU is still in base mode such as after disconnecting the battery.

Quick Reply: Fastline Performance Metal Cat Preview, and some "random" news?!?!?!