Fastline Performance Metal Cat Preview, and some "random" news?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 02:09 PM
-Nick-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I had my exhaust it took maybe 4-5 drives to adjust. I drive aggressively, so it probably won't take that long. I have already hit vtec in 1st twice and in 2nd once and I have taken it to 6k and shifted twice, and 5k maybe 3 times all in first, and that was just on my 15 minute drive home. I had it to 5k in 3rd as well, but I let off the gas and shifted at 5500. Didn't want to go too far over the speed limit In a few hours I will drive to work and then drive home, so I think the ECU will adjust in a couple days at this rate.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:03 AM
where is my garage?!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey marcus, saw your group buy thread in the vendor section.

will this cat typically be sold as a smaller group buy, or are you just doing that for the first batch? just curious in case i want to hold off and get it later down the road. thanks.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Here is a linky to it now!

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/fastline-performance-high-flow-cat-pipes-1g-tsx-group-buy-700468/

This cat and the similar items will be sold as normal production items but the GB it to get them off the ground.

Of course, without some preorders, that is going to be hard to do. We are only looking for $50 now. Pay the balance whenever you want to close the deal.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
RT - is like $330 shipped with a half-assed hardware kit including 2 gaskets (that don't really work with the design, incidently). But it does make some power because it is high flow. Also, there is an issue with this cat throwing codes.

T1R - The fitment is a lot better, but there it no converter here as it is a true test pipe. It makes more power but for sure it is going to make the car louder too. In addition to being completely illegal while the Fastline and RT cats are only illegal without the guilt. But the fact that is has no cat is why it is cheaper.

Fastline - The price is higher because it is made better. You won't need a gasket with it, and high end stainless hardware is included. It will flow better than the RT as well. All this adds into the cost. And for $30 more its worth it. The RT flanges cost $5 each. the FLP ones cost $25 each. So there you have it. The money is in the flanges. The FLP cat will not throw codes either. We discussed with the manufacturer today and it will use an extended O2 bung that will guarantee no thrown codes.

So for an extra $30 over the RT we don't think that it is expensive at all, but certainly worth every penny.

Marcus
Marcus, I know you're excited about the new product and you should be, but I think we should clarify a few things.

The RT cat has been selling for years. The fitment is perfect and the cat seals just fine. I myself have installed a number of these with no sealing or fitment issues. Yes it has a floating flange, but the flange is just as thick as the FLP and it seals fine. RT has always done all their cats that way and been successful. The RT cat has thrown a CEL on only a few vehicles and it's not b/c it's a bad cat. It threw a CEL b/c it was flowing more air/exhaust than the stock Honda ECU wants to see. For $5 more you can make your own "defouler" (called this b/c it's a spark plug defouler that is drilled out to make an 02 extension so you can space the 02 sensor further away from the exhaust stream) and eliminate any chance of having a CEL. And the FLP will NOT flow better than the RT. I spoke to Darron Shubin, who is the Magnaflow Sales Manager, at PRI last week to confirm the cell count on the Magnaflow cats. The cat that you are using is 300 cell. So the RT cat is 300 cell and so is the FLP so they flow the same.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Dated 3/31/09

A note on cell counts: It has become apparent there is a debate on how many cells there are in a Magnaflow metal core cat. Some say it is 200 cells, others say it is 300 cells. We can conferred with Magnaflow Engineers and have come to the conclusion that neither claim is actually true. Due to the concentric (circular) construction of the metal cores, the cells in the center are actually a different size than those toward the outside of the core. Also, due to the thin and flexible nature of the material used to make the cores, production inconsistency causes variable sizing. As such, Magnaflow largely advertises the cores as 200 cells while in reality many are closer to 300 cells. For this reason, we now claim a 250 AVERAGE cell count for Fastline Metal Cats using Magaflow cores! The cell count is relatively moot because no matter what the actual cell count is in an FLP core, it is significantly lower than that used in the OEM cat and will provide significant power gains even without tuning! Additional flow is provided by larger inlet/outlet sizes.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Updated 4/24/09:

We have been selling these pipes consistently and have gotten a lot of compliments on the fitment and performance. We have had occasional instances of people getting check engine lights. We have had a challenge in combating the issue of cels and would like to remind people that the cel occurs under certain conditions and the likelihood of getting one changes with a lot of different variables. While FLP pipes are designed to resist the occurrence of cel triggers it is unreasonable to expect we could eliminate them under all conditions. In the event you have a FLP pipe installed and you trigger a cel, we suggest installing a spark plug defouler on the secondary O2 sensor to help futher prevent triggering.

This issue is not exclusive to the FLP part as the TSX is savvy enough to find problems with secondary O2 readings any time the converter is changed. We have found that the best way to avoid the inconvenience of occasional cels is really to fore go the power gains that you get with a high flow cat or test pipe.

As an alternative measure you could install a OBD monitoring and resetting device such as the Greddy Informeter touch to make resetting the light fast and easy.

Marcus
Old 04-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
^^is that post just referring to the test pipes and not the high flow cat?
Old 04-24-2009, 07:43 PM
Ex-King of Pasadena

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ohh.. btw, i got the FLP cat installed by my co-worker (i work in body shop)

fit on perfect. no CEL problem occuring. everything works fine.

As for power, yyyeeeeeeeeeea, a little bit more. Just gonna wait till i install my pulley tml, and i'll go get my car dyno'ed