Extra hole in intake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 08:59 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extra hole in intake?

I just put in a K&N typhoon today (only in SRI, not CAI... too much water and flooding and I don't feel like risking it) and it sounds awesome. I watched a bunch of youtube videos to get an idea of what it would sound like but those don't do it justice! Anyway, while unhooking my stock airbox and unplugging the various inputs on the stock tube, I noticed there was an extra hole in the stock rubber airtube that isn't in the K&N tube. So now theres this little extra piece with a hole. Should I be worried about this? Does anyone know what that is? (It's either the EVAP vent or the crank case vent hose, but i think it's the top part of the EVAP vent.) I took a picture of the hose, but not quite sure how to post a picture, but PM me if you don't know what I'm talking about... I appreciate your help!!
Old 04-24-2008, 09:02 PM
日本国内市場の売春婦

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
email me the pic vortec135@hotmail.com and ill host it for you.

it could be your emissions hose?
Old 04-24-2008, 09:09 PM
10th Gear

well it's one of the 3 things that you plug back in... There's an extra piece sticking out that used to plug directly into the rubber intake pipe... thanks, i will send the pic
Old 04-24-2008, 09:29 PM
日本国内市場の売春婦

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 04-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
That extra piece doesn't connect to anything on an aftermarket intake. It's for positioning purposes on the stock intake tube.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Intermediate

Hydrolock is not a significant concern, if your really that worried though pick up an AEM Bypass... Having a CAI in Short Ram mode is like using a Pinto as a work truck... its just pointless, your wasting your time and money leaving it in Short Ram
Old 04-24-2008, 11:33 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by MemphisRheins
Hydrolock is not a significant concern, if your really that worried though pick up an AEM Bypass... Having a CAI in Short Ram mode is like using a Pinto as a work truck... its just pointless, your wasting your time and money leaving it in Short Ram
I can't agree with that analogy. I can feel difference with the short ram, plus it looks and sounds cool (that's why I did anyway). Of course everyone has an opinion, but I can't see going through the hassle of the cold air set up for what as far as I'm concerned will always be questionable returns. Plus, I can easily change back over to the stock air box for inspection purposes.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:10 PM
10th Gear

Thanks everyone for all the replies and for posting my pics... Glad that it's nothing I should worry about. From what I've read in a lot of posts, most people see similar results while in either SRI or CAI... as far as taking it off for inspection... isn't it legal? I read in the manual that there is some sticker on the K&N that the inspector can see and won't fail you for it.

As far as hydrolock- i just don't want to risk it. I'm originally from the Garden State, but now I live in Memphis TN, and if anyone is from around here, you know that Memphis has the worst drainage system ever... And I've found myself plowing through puddles that make it seem like i just went into the Mississippi.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
From what I've read, the throttle response and low end torque are slightly better with the SRI vs the CAI. Given the weakness of the TSX in torque department, I think I'd much rather have the improvement there. Plus I spend 50% of my time driving in the range where low end torque is important vs 1% of my time in the range where top end HP is the main interest.