Exhaust that is as quiet as stock cruising???

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Exhaust that is as quiet as stock cruising???

Guys does an exhaust exist for the 07/08 TSX that is as quiet or quieter than the stock exhaust at say below 4000rpm but louder above or at full throttle? Just curious because the mugen exhaust on these cars sounds fantastic but I do not have enough experience with them to know how loud they are when doing my daily commute. I've had loud cars for my DD and do not want another.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:45 PM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NO aftermarket catback is as quiet as stock, but the Tanabe MT is very quiet and sounds great. It doesn't bother me on my commute or on extended cruises.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:56 AM
Unregistered User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why change stock exhaust? change headers
Old 11-24-2008, 09:09 AM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
I would agree with audioserf that the tanabe MT is quiet, so is Comptech which I have. When I first got it, it was super quiet, after header and cat it got quite a bit louder, but still fairly quiet at cruising speed. However; the road noise in our cars from those hard as rocks OEM tires can drown out about anything lol.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:48 AM
-Nick-

Originally Posted by clee109
I would agree with audioserf that the tanabe MT is quiet, so is Comptech which I have. When I first got it, it was super quiet, after header and cat it got quite a bit louder, but still fairly quiet at cruising speed. However; the road noise in our cars from those hard as rocks OEM tires can drown out about anything lol.
Comptech is quiet? I have heard it has a drone at cruising speeds as well.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:54 AM
boost owns

Yes - in my experience, Comptech's definitely louder than the Tanabe MT - and that's with my full bolt-ons of Injen SRI, Topspeed header, RT cat.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Definitely the Tanabe Medallion Touring. It's guaranteed under 93 db and it has a nice mellow tone.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:22 PM
Helladump/flush

Fujitsubo Legalis R has minimal drone. Thats what I have, and I drive the freeway everyday and I even sometimes I forget I have an exhaust until WOT.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:57 PM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by CGP06tsx
Comptech is quiet? I have heard it has a drone at cruising speeds as well.
No noticable drone for me at cruise and that's with Comptech header, RT Cat, Comptech Icebox. I only get "drone" under load, so accelerating, going up hill, etc... but nothing on the highway or a regular road at crusing speed.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

What about Apex WS2? I heard that WS2 is quiet exhaust!
Old 11-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Instructor

I have the Tanabe SMH exhaust with stock cat & comptech header. When on the highway and crusing at 60 to 80 if I maintain the same speed you don't hear the exhaust at all. once you hit the gas a little you will hear it. I have had people tell me that it sounds like stock when crusing on the highway.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:40 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
The comptech catback has a definite drone in the cruising range. This could be the result of having 1 resonator instead of 2 in the stock design. In any case, the quiet tip inserts work well and dont seem to cost any power. Power gains from the catback are minimal anyway, and even more minimal in the 06+ (mine is an 04). The $ is better spent on headers, intake or reflash.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Racer

I just put the Mugen Exhaust on yesterday. I agree with Clee109's statement of hearin gthe exhaust mostly under load condition. THis is my first car with an exhaust and it is not bad at all. I did not tell my girl I had it done and she did not even ask me if something is different. Only later I mentioned something and she said the car was "alittle louder" but not like what she thought it would be. Then it threw a check emission light and it is back to the shop Fri to get that taken care of and to check onn a tinny buzz from underneath the car (most likely heatshield).
Oh by the way I have the Mugen Exhaust Manifold and Catalytic Converter Kit, CT icebox, and reflash.

Last edited by carmagnut; 12-03-2008 at 07:26 PM. Reason: did not want to double post
Old 12-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Unregistered User

u get better HP/TQ gains from header - $175, Catalytic converter ~$300, Reflash $595 than a $1200 exhaust......... I simply dont get the point of upgrading TSX's exhaust
Old 12-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Racer

some people don't get the point of upgrading cars in any way...period. To each his/her own. Either way you just do what you think will make you happy.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:01 AM
Intermediate

I recently installed a Apex'i WS2 exhaust, and I have to say that it was louder than my original expectations since so many people have said how quiet and stock-like it is. Under any engine load, you will notice it from inside the cabin, and i was a bit self-conscious at first when pulling from red lights with other cars around me, thinking that other drivers thought i was trying to race them at every light.

I later had my brother drive my car while i drove his and followed him around to see how noticeable it is, and i actually had trouble hearing it unless i was right next to him and we were the only cars at the stop. if there are other cars at the stop, then there was too much ambient noise to really hear the exhaust, even pulling away from the light. I probably only noticed it because i was specifically trying to hear it
Old 12-04-2008, 01:55 AM
Unregistered User

Originally Posted by carmagnut
some people don't get the point of upgrading cars in any way...period. To each his/her own. Either way you just do what you think will make you happy.

I know but come to think about it. I mean yes aftermarket sounds nice etc but performancewise.....
Old 12-04-2008, 06:15 AM
boost owns

Originally Posted by valeratj
I know but come to think about it. I mean yes aftermarket sounds nice etc but performancewise.....
Pure performance-wise, you're absolutely right - an aftermarket header, high-flow cat, and reflash will do more for the TSX than a catback exhaust. However, not every mod has to be for performance; those who choose to modify or replace the OEM catback are doing so for aesthetics (looks) and sound. I hope nobody installs a catback for this car expecting to notice any gains...
Old 12-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by Audioserf
NO aftermarket catback is as quiet as stock, but the Tanabe MT is very quiet and sounds great. It doesn't bother me on my commute or on extended cruises.
Fundamentally you are right that a non-stock exhaust will sound different or slightly louder. But the A'pexi WS2 and the Fujitsubo Legalis are so mellow sounding they would scarcely offend even the most picky person. This guy is not looking for a stock sound, but a stock noise level, which these and the Tanabe also do offer.

Marcus
Old 12-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Special-K

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You wont see whopping gains with just an exhaust system but with a full exhaust setup you'd see some gains.. the stock exhaust is restrictive so more air flow will free up some power. It my do close to nothing on a stock motor but does alot for moddified ones like turbocharged, supercharged and highly tuned N/A motors.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Naturally ASpirated!

u get better HP/TQ gains from header - $175, Catalytic converter ~$300, Reflash $595 than a $1200 exhaust......... I simply dont get the point of upgrading TSX's exhaust
I said the same thing until I got mine...
Old 12-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Unregistered User

Originally Posted by samxeyeam

How is it? which model ?
Old 12-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Racer

I agree. I went with a full Mugen set up from the headers back and now that I have been driving it for a couple of days I am happy. I thought it was loud at first but then realized I am listening too hard for the sound. I do wish I would have done the mods more spaced out so I can see which part gave me what but I am having a shop do the mods not in my garage. Also I picked up the SC kit and for that I feel (as does the shop owner) that the upgrades to the exhasut will seem that much more worth it with the SC put on. Now if I could just get that CEL turned off...
Old 12-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Burning Brakes

I installed the Apexi WS on my Prelude, even figuring it probably wouldn't get more than a few HP. Maybe more, maybe not. At the time, I enjoyed having some mods, and trying to get a more sporty sound. The few mods I made did really have an effect on the performance, though. Not huge, but noticeable. And livable.

I rode in someone's Prelude with a Greddy, and it droned noticeably. No mid-resonator probably made the difference. The Apexi had more growl than stock, but at cruising speed, it was tame. Overall, it was a tad louder than stock, probably, but not a lot more, I don't think. For me, with all the highway driving I did, I just didn't want it to drone all the time.

SO, I can sympathize with those trying to have fun modding while keeping the car livable. Just keep in mind that you don't NEED the mods, and they are expensive. If you can fit it into your budget, then do what you want. Myself, at this point in my life, I think I'd rather have the money than modded exhaust. But I still enjoy reading about mods. I suppose I have to live vicariously through you guys. So, yeah, go and buy that exhaust!
Old 12-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vidgamer
I installed the Apexi WS on my Prelude, even figuring it probably wouldn't get more than a few HP. Maybe more, maybe not. At the time, I enjoyed having some mods, and trying to get a more sporty sound. The few mods I made did really have an effect on the performance, though. Not huge, but noticeable. And livable.

I rode in someone's Prelude with a Greddy, and it droned noticeably. No mid-resonator probably made the difference. The Apexi had more growl than stock, but at cruising speed, it was tame. Overall, it was a tad louder than stock, probably, but not a lot more, I don't think. For me, with all the highway driving I did, I just didn't want it to drone all the time.

SO, I can sympathize with those trying to have fun modding while keeping the car livable. Just keep in mind that you don't NEED the mods, and they are expensive. If you can fit it into your budget, then do what you want. Myself, at this point in my life, I think I'd rather have the money than modded exhaust. But I still enjoy reading about mods. I suppose I have to live vicariously through you guys. So, yeah, go and buy that exhaust!
It's funny, although I am now starting to put some money into my car, I agree. This is the type of car that is just fine to begin with and does not need to be toyed with to have a good time in. We all do things for different reasons and to each their own. If I had a family, a big fat mortgage buying a 2 thousand dollar exhaust would not be the first thing on my mind. I may be a few years younger than you but I enjoy reading all of these other guys/gals posts and am amazed at how little much I know about this stuff other then knowing I had a couple bucks to spend on something and it turned out to go into my car. Keep living vicariously through them/us as I find myself doing the same.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:36 AM
East Coast Crew

Greddy Evo 2 all the way!
Old 12-12-2008, 02:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
Are all these custom catbacks or bolt on? I am confused. I am also interested in the same concept.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:14 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by thisaznboi88
Are all these custom catbacks or bolt on? I am confused. I am also interested in the same concept.
Which concept? The Mugen pieces I bought were all bolt on and i will assume most of the others mentioned are too.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:03 AM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
Their all bolt ons but you may need a shot to heat the exhaust up and then remove the bolts, since it gets rusted and hot down there, those bolts are more likely to snap if not heated up.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Naturally ASpirated!

How is it? which model ?
Got J's 60RS single... Its REALLY loud but I got a VERY HUGE weight reduction and I actually feel my car pull at vtec... literally...
Old 12-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Racer

Got J's 60RS single... Its REALLY loud but I got a VERY HUGE weight reduction and I actually feel my car pull at vtec... literally...
What is the weight of the unit? I looked on a site at those exhausts but some did not have the weight. I stayed away because they were said to be loud. What did you pay?
Old 12-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Naturally ASpirated!

I want to say about 8-10lbs... I could literally hold the back end of the exhaust and wail it around like a caveman with a stick... The stock exhaust... I had to literally do the full body swing to get it in the back of my van... I want to say its about 35lbs or more... (It felt like 80lbs but im guessing it felt heavier because of the length of the exhaust and how I was holding it from the tip of it...)
Old 12-14-2008, 10:47 AM
CLUBBER LANG

Originally Posted by visuelz
Greddy Evo 2 all the way!
Hell yeah i said i wanted to get the Greddy EVO 2 exhaust. Maybe after i get my Angel Eyes and Fog Light HID conversion setup installed friday after xmas. Can't wait. Any audio clips u know of for the evo 2 on a tsx?
-north jersey erik
Old 12-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NJ TSXer
Hell yeah i said i wanted to get the Greddy EVO 2 exhaust. Maybe after i get my Angel Eyes and Fog Light HID conversion setup installed friday after xmas. Can't wait. Any audio clips u know of for the evo 2 on a tsx?
-north jersey erik
You can go on youtube and search tsx exhaust an come up with a few clips. I am looking to put my Mugen exhaust on there because its not there yet. I just don't know how and I am too lazy to get my ass out to the car.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Racer

I want to say about 8-10lbs... I could literally hold the back end of the exhaust and wail it around like a caveman with a stick... The stock exhaust... I had to literally do the full body swing to get it in the back of my van... I want to say its about 35lbs or more... (It felt like 80lbs but im guessing it felt heavier because of the length of the exhaust and how I was holding it from the tip of it...)
Your saying the whole exhaust system is 8-10 lbs? TH emUgen I got total weight was 35 for a savings of nearly 20lbs. Too bad the S/C i am doing soon weighs 30 lbs or so and now offsets the loss of weight of the exhaust. Oh well.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:08 AM
B A N N E D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EVO 2 is pretty loud..thats the type of look im going too.. any other suggestions of a loud but not raspy exhaust ?
Old 12-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Darkside TSX
EVO 2 is pretty loud..thats the type of look im going too.. any other suggestions of a loud but not raspy exhaust ?
My Mugen is nice. Not too loud and has a nice tone to it. Cost...not so nice.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:12 AM
East Coast Crew

Here are my Evo 2 videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ8KpXWvw0A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwu7goIwMo0
Old 12-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by visuelz
Vids were good. Sound was nice. Any other mods to the car?
Old 12-18-2008, 12:59 PM
East Coast Crew

On a noise level, there is an Injen intake as well.

Quick Reply: Exhaust that is as quiet as stock cruising???