the CORRECT way to lower a car?? PLZ HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 02:00 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the CORRECT way to lower a car?? PLZ HELP

I'm seriously starting to consider lowering the TSX. I dont wanna go too low beacuse I'll be swapping 19"s on there soon. I'm thinking Eibach Prokits; should be a nice mix. My Biggest issue is long term effects/wear/and warranty issues. The biggest reason I got rid of my CL for the TSX was a warranty; but man I miss having a modded car.

So with that said I wanna lower it and do it right so that there isn't significant long term wear. What has to be done? This is what I know so far....

1) Eibach Prokit
2)Ingalls Rear Camber

3) Shocks I know are something that will be needed down the line; but how quickly will my stocker'z go on me? 30k mi? 50k mi? Right now I'm @ 24,xxx on the odo.

4) When I had the neuspeeds on my CL; around 96k I was told the ball berings (sp??) were going; according to the dealership... what is the likely hood of this happening to the TSX; PRIOR to 90kmi +

5) What else should I expect in terms of premature wear with a setup like this?? My biggest problem is I wanna do this and do it right, but I'm a college student with not much in the reserves and I'm scared shitless of unexpected problems (hence why I opted to buy a new car with a brand spankin new 50k mi warranty)

Thanks in Advance!

~Kevin~
Old 05-30-2004, 02:10 PM
Race Director

Received 625 Likes on 504 Posts
Why anyone with limited reserves buys a $26K car and then spends even more money to mod it is beyond me.

I was young once and liked moding cars but it was some modest mods on an average used car not an expensive brand new car.
Old 05-30-2004, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by biker
Why anyone with limited reserves buys a $26K car and then spends even more money to mod it is beyond me.

I was young once and liked moding cars but it was some modest mods on an average used car not an expensive brand new car.
My car was 28k; look around the board and ask everyone else why their cars are modded. I'm not looking to go crazy racer style here... just tasteful OEM Stuff; I'd like slightly larger rims and without a modest drop the car will look 4x4.

I personally only paid 1/3 of the cost of the car. My CL was given to me as a hand me down from my parents; that went as a trade in; my parents both gave me graduation 5grand each as a hs/graduation gift/birthday gift. And I paid off the rest on my own.

Its a year later and I've got some cash saved up; not enough to break the bank just enough to do something for myself as a reward for all my hard work. Point is I dont have 500-1000 just laying around so that someday soon if something breaks due to crazy wear I'd have the money to throw into fixing it.
Old 05-30-2004, 02:28 PM

PS I'm considering this. I haven't fully decided. I'd love to have a nice modded car again; but right now what I should be doing is saving every cent I have for law school. I'm just trying to weigh my options out though; so any/all help would be appreciated.
Old 05-30-2004, 02:41 PM
cmf
ATCer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone has their own idea of what an average type car is. To me the TSX is the best car around for the price to mod. 26K for a car is actually a damn good price and should not really be considered expensive. To each their own!
Old 05-30-2004, 02:48 PM

Thanx CMF;

anyone out there got love for my original inquiry tho?
Old 05-30-2004, 05:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
It's good that you want to do it right and there are ways to do it. However, you have to realize by modifying your suspension, you can expect difficulty trying to claim suspension warranty. Therefore, think twice before spending money on modification.

Base on your budget and wanting things done right, you should wait until the funds are available to cover springs, shocks, camber kits and alignment. Don't try to go cheap and skip the shocks because you have to pay for the labor again to put them it later. If you actually care about your front tire wear, then get the front camber kit as well. Most people don't get them because they are willing to live with a slight negative camber. The decision is yours. You can do it cheap or do it right...
Old 05-30-2004, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by JTso
It's good that you want to do it right and there are ways to do it. However, you have to realize by modifying your suspension, you can expect difficulty trying to claim suspension warranty. Therefore, think twice before spending money on modification.

Base on your budget and wanting things done right, you should wait until the funds are available to cover springs, shocks, camber kits and alignment. Don't try to go cheap and skip the shocks because you have to pay for the labor again to put them it later. If you actually care about your front tire wear, then get the front camber kit as well. Most people don't get them because they are willing to live with a slight negative camber. The decision is yours. You can do it cheap or do it right...
General price range and list of the parts needed to do all u've listed...?
If I were gonna do shocks/struts/springs... whats the pros and cons of coilovers? Costs? Availiabliiy?

Reading around the board it seems like there aren't any aftermarket shocks around yet. Would I need both shocks and struts?
Old 05-31-2004, 06:08 AM
Cruisin'

The only aftermarket shocks available now are the Koni yellow ones.

btw you have another option - Mugen suspension. It's a 1 inch drop front and rear, springs and shocks combo without the need of a camber kit. It's kinda pricy though, comes at $1000.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:21 AM
Advanced

Camber kits are nice, but it depends on whether or not you are going to need it... If you go with a modest drop kit, you may not need to get camber kits... but you should be prepared to buy them just in case... some cars come with slightly more adjustment than others do.... =o)
Old 06-03-2004, 07:21 AM
Drifting

TIEN SS