Comptech vs. Injen Intakes (I know this isn't new)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005 | 03:28 PM
Safety Car

Comptech vs. Injen Intakes (I know this isn't new)

Sorry for the long post.....

This post is about the great Comptech vs. Injen debate. Rather than asking which one is better, I wanted see what everyone's thoughts were on the issues I have below. Specifically, I have some obersvations about power/torque band and observations about the noise in Injen's favor.

1. Power/Torque Development
I haven't looked into it in depth, but the issue I struggle with is the area under the torque curve between the 2, not peak hp/torque. What is a better power strategy, Comptechs or Injen? The peaks are nice, but I switched from AEM CAI to a Icebox in my Teg cuz the midrange was fuller and the powerband was broader with the Icebox, though I gave up top-end numbers. Response was better, it got through the rpms alot quicker though getting to the top-end was more rewarding with the CAI. On top of that, upshifts and the requisite drop in revs would keep me in the band or just about to enter it even if I didn't wring it out. The comptech was absolutely better for daily driving due to this (not to mention quieter). A broader midrange powerband might be best for my 5AT as well, since it isn't geared quite aggressively. But I wanted to see if this is still the case for the TSX, that though the peak HP is lower for the Icebox, it might give better response and a broader powerband at the expense of lower hp gain. Trust me, I've looked at comptech's dyno already, but those don't always give the complete picture, especially for comparison purposes.

2. Noise
I drove Black_6spd's Injen equipped TSX this past weekend, and it was a revelation....its not that loud from inside the cabin, and sounded really refined. Not a hint of rice. I like to think Ferrari's and Vipers are loud but I prefer loud singing (Ferrari) to loud gutteral yelling (Viper). His TSX sings (and the power difference was really surprising). So the question of noise isn't as big an issue for me after hearing it but Im still afraid it would drone in a 5AT cruising at 80. I also don't like people to know I'm about to overtake them, since people drive pretty offensively where here in SoCal.

So those are my thoughts....sorry if this is a rehash of what everyone has seen, but I wanted to see prevailiing opinions (esp. if you've had both, and possibly have a 5AT) while I look at the tech, before I start really forming an opinion.

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST!! Thanks!
Old 06-28-2005 | 03:31 PM
My Garage

Cliff notes?
Old 06-28-2005 | 03:45 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Cliff notes?
Never heard of them....I wait for the movie to come out instead.
Just messin, I knew that was a long post.

But for those with less than 600 on the verbal portion of the SATs...

Injen vs Comptech
1. Powerband
Opinions on which one is better at having a broad torque curve (need it for a 5AT)? Which one has more area under said curve?

2. Noise
Black_6spd's Injen isn't loud but sounds great. Will it drone on a 5AT?
Old 06-28-2005 | 04:25 PM
VSA Rocks

I would have hosted the dyno graphs of each, but I'm too lazy right now. Let's assume we're looking at both.

Icebox: http://www.comptechusa.com/images/dyno/tsx_icebox.pdf

Looking at each respective dyno vs. baseline, I have the following observations:

- Injen's curve not only produces more peak power, but seems to generate HP/torque gains thoughout the curve
- The Icebox design had an objective of keeping the intake sound at a minimum. In order to meet this objective, they possibly could have sacrificed power
- I have the Injen intake. Therefore, it must be the best.

There are several members here that have had BOTH on their TSX. I can't recall if any of them had both on an 5-AT, however.
Old 06-28-2005 | 04:29 PM
Photography Nerd

^^^ that dyno is FUBAR... What's up with the 7800rpm redline?
Old 06-28-2005 | 04:38 PM
Team Owner

TinkySD posted a pretty good discussion of both intakes a while back. Wish I could find it "search" isn't helping me today. He eventually went with the Icebox, and he has the AT.
Old 06-28-2005 | 04:49 PM
VSA Rocks

Old 06-28-2005 | 04:50 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by jlukja
TinkySD posted a pretty good discussion of both intakes a while back. Wish I could find it "search" isn't helping me today. He eventually went with the Icebox, and he has the AT.
Is this the one you meant?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22451

Gibson...who owns jlukja at searching
Old 06-28-2005 | 04:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
^^^ that dyno is FUBAR... What's up with the 7800rpm redline?
That's not even a TSX dyno! Just look at the vtec point and redline. What's up with some of these companies and fake dyno charts?
Old 06-28-2005 | 04:59 PM
Team Owner

Is this the one you meant?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22451

Gibson...who owns jlukja at searching
That be the one. Specifically Post 11.

GIBSON6594 and his searching abilities.
Old 06-28-2005 | 05:00 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by JTso
That's not even a TSX dyno! Just look at the vtec point and redline. What's up with some of these companies and fake dyno charts?
Isn't that CT's icebox dyno on their website?
Old 06-28-2005 | 05:28 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by JTso
Possibly ITR dyno?
Old 06-28-2005 | 05:38 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

I've been through the same thing and it really comes to if you feel like you're going to use the top end power. If you're the type of person to not use the SS very often and who rarely likes to rev above 5000 or so, then you should get the Icebox. You could also just get the Injen intake and put it back and forth between CAI or short ram mode whenever you want.
That's another option, but the Injen in short ram mode is gonna be louder than the Comptech icebox.

As for noise. There is no drone at lower RPMS at highway speeds. The Injen in CAI mode can only be heard from about 3500 rpms and up. As for other people hearing it, it really depends on how you are. I actually found out that people move out the way more frequently if they can hear me coming, than they did before I had my intake. This might just be how the drivers in my area are though, in SoCal they might not move at all.
Old 06-28-2005 | 07:29 PM
Instructor

That graph seems to say he's getting 11 hp off his intake...hmmm
Old 06-28-2005 | 07:40 PM
Advanced

It's an Injen dyno. Of course the manufacturer exaggerates the gains... I just take what they said and divide it in half.
Old 06-28-2005 | 08:00 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by g35doc
It's an Injen dyno. Of course the manufacturer exaggerates the gains... I just take what they said and divide it in half.
Its an icebox dyno
Old 06-28-2005 | 08:04 PM
Instructor

I'm kinda wondering if they were running it on a TSX with a Hondata rather than a stock one. It would explain the cutoff and the vtec point. It would also explain the higher than expected gains.

Flipping through some of the other graphs on their site, they seem to make more sense than the TSX one.
Old 06-28-2005 | 08:23 PM
Advanced

Its an icebox dyno
If you right click and go to properties, it says injen.
Old 06-28-2005 | 08:54 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tsx536
I've been through the same thing and it really comes to if you feel like you're going to use the top end power. If you're the type of person to not use the SS very often and who rarely likes to rev above 5000 or so, then you should get the Icebox. You could also just get the Injen intake and put it back and forth between CAI or short ram mode whenever you want.
That's another option, but the Injen in short ram mode is gonna be louder than the Comptech icebox.

Thats the thing though....I like using SS, but I like being able to have linear power from even low revs. Is there a difference between the 2 when it comes to low end power? Is there a trade off there?

Also, just a thought, but which is more responsive to throttle between the 2? IMO, since the Icebox is a hybrid of sorts (access to cold air, short ram) and since the length of the intake tube is shorter, would it be a slightly quicker response? Think short straw vs. long straw......you get to the cold just a little sooner. My theory is that the long tube gets the gain at the top due to flow, but the Comptech responds to changes in throttle better. Please correct me if I am wrong.

As for noise. There is no drone at lower RPMS at highway speeds. The Injen in CAI mode can only be heard from about 3500 rpms and up. As for other people hearing it, it really depends on how you are.
I didn't get to test this on Black_6spd's but is the noise mostly dependent on throttle position or rpms? Throttle mattered on my Teg.

I actually found out that people move out the way more frequently if they can hear me coming, than they did before I had my intake. This might just be how the drivers in my area are though, in SoCal they might not move at all.
Down here, you get mostly or people wanting to
Old 06-28-2005 | 10:07 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
Thats the thing though....I like using SS, but I like being able to have linear power from even low revs. Is there a difference between the 2 when it comes to low end power? Is there a trade off there?
Yes there is definitely a tradeoff, you keep all of your low end power with the Comptech, but you get less high end power. The Injen in CAI mode is the opposite. You will lose some low end power, but you will get more high end power.

Also, just a thought, but which is more responsive to throttle between the 2? IMO, since the Icebox is a hybrid of sorts (access to cold air, short ram) and since the length of the intake tube is shorter, would it be a slightly quicker response? Think short straw vs. long straw......you get to the cold just a little sooner. My theory is that the long tube gets the gain at the top due to flow, but the Comptech responds to changes in throttle better. Please correct me if I am wrong.
The Icebox is probably a little more responsive for the reasons that you state above, but I wouldn't think that the difference is very drastic. I don't think this would be very noticeable. I have Hondata, so my throttle response is different than a stock TSX. Maybe someone else can comment on this.

I didn't get to test this on Black_6spd's but is the noise mostly dependent on throttle position or rpms? Throttle mattered on my Teg.
I would say that is it's more dependent on the RPMs. You can hear the intake starting about 3700-4000 RPM. The throttle does effect the sound somewhat in the higher RPMs though. If you're at WOT (wide open throttle) the intake really growls and is louder than if you were barely on the gas.

Down here, you get mostly or people wanting to
If you want to stay more low key and be able to creep up on people a little more without them feeling challenged or getting pissed, then you should probably go with Comptech. Like I said earlier, the extra sound of the intake actually makes more drivers get out of my way.
Old 06-28-2005 | 10:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by DaveWhyman
I'm kinda wondering if they were running it on a TSX with a Hondata rather than a stock one. It would explain the cutoff and the vtec point. It would also explain the higher than expected gains.

Flipping through some of the other graphs on their site, they seem to make more sense than the TSX one.
That dyno is old and Hondata wasn't even available back then. There is a thread regarding that dyno around here somewhere. Dom knows about that particular issue well, as he contacted Injen about it. I don't believe he was given a good answer as to why the redline was higher on a stock TSX engine.
Old 06-28-2005 | 11:24 PM
Safety Car

Yes there is definitely a tradeoff, you keep all of your low end power with the Comptech, but you get less high end power. The Injen in CAI mode is the opposite. You will lose some low end power, but you will get more high end power.

The Icebox is probably a little more responsive for the reasons that you state above, but I wouldn't think that the difference is very drastic. I don't think this would be very noticeable. I have Hondata, so my throttle response is different than a stock TSX. Maybe someone else can comment on this.

I would say that is it's more dependent on the RPMs. You can hear the intake starting about 3700-4000 RPM. The throttle does effect the sound somewhat in the higher RPMs though. If you're at WOT (wide open throttle) the intake really growls and is louder than if you were barely on the gas.

If you want to stay more low key and be able to creep up on people a little more without them feeling challenged or getting pissed, then you should probably go with Comptech. Like I said earlier, the extra sound of the intake actually makes more drivers get out of my way.
Thanks for the help.
Old 06-28-2005 | 11:45 PM
Team Owner

I can't say whether the Icebox is more responsive than the Injen but the Icebox has definitely improved the throttle response from the stock version. The Icebox has a much larger cavity airbox on the intake side of the filter. If the engine is breathing normally at partial throttle and then you go to WOT the extra air volume is there for quick useage (not having to go through the filter). I think that is part of the improvement in throttle response from stock. I don't think the Injen has this.
Old 06-29-2005 | 12:31 PM
08 MDX with Sports

I mean as far as price goes its $50cheaper(icebox) and resale value might be higher if you want to get rid of it after a year or 2.

I actually like the way typhoon CAI "bend" looks compare to Injen's CAI but thats whole another topic....
Old 06-29-2005 | 08:59 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

I'm going to show my general lack of expertise w.r.t. the TSX's intake, but the stock one appears to me to get it's airflow from inside the driver's side wheel well. Am I wrong about that? If not, isn't that air the same temperature as the air under the front bumper?
Old 06-29-2005 | 09:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by peter_bigblock
I'm going to show my general lack of expertise w.r.t. the TSX's intake, but the stock one appears to me to get it's airflow from inside the driver's side wheel well. Am I wrong about that? If not, isn't that air the same temperature as the air under the front bumper?
If you follow the stock intake tube all the way to the end, you will see it actually ends up inside the engine compartment right in front of the battery.
Old 06-29-2005 | 09:12 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Thanks for the reply. So, if I understand correctly the Icebox is basically an improved version of stock that has a bigger box, higher-flow filter, and an intake airhorn that draws cooler air behind the front bumper. The CAI's (Injen, K&N, AEM) are tuned-length intake tracts that likely flow better at higher rpms but are louder and susceptible to taking in water if it rains.

Non-technical as that is, it sounds like the Icebox is better for me -- I don't want added engine noise but do want a more-dense intake charge and higher flow even if I'm not making as much high-end hp as a CAI. Icebox still worth $150 and taking off the bumper (and my wife looking at me like I should be painting the living room instead of screwing around with my car)?

Old 06-29-2005 | 10:46 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Thanks for the reply. So, if I understand correctly the Icebox is basically an improved version of stock that has a bigger box, higher-flow filter, and an intake airhorn that draws cooler air behind the front bumper. The CAI's (Injen, K&N, AEM) are tuned-length intake tracts that likely flow better at higher rpms but are louder and susceptible to taking in water if it rains.

Non-technical as that is, it sounds like the Icebox is better for me -- I don't want added engine noise but do want a more-dense intake charge and higher flow even if I'm not making as much high-end hp as a CAI. Icebox still worth $150 and taking off the bumper (and my wife looking at me like I should be painting the living room instead of screwing around with my car)?

good summary, sounds like the icebox might be for you then
Old 06-30-2005 | 12:52 AM
Team Owner

... So, if I understand correctly the Icebox is basically an improved version of stock that has a bigger box, higher-flow filter, and an intake airhorn that draws cooler air behind the front bumper. The CAI's (Injen, K&N, AEM) are tuned-length intake tracts that likely flow better at higher rpms but are louder and susceptible to taking in water if it rains.
Yes. Also don't forget that the stock intake has a resonator which is removed for both Injen and Icebox installs. The resonator muffles the sound of the intake and, to a degree, restricts the airflow.

... Icebox still worth $150 and taking off the bumper ... ?
Bumper removal is not necessary. Its quite easy to get access through the front left wheel well. All you need to do is take the wheel off and remove 4 pop-up clips and one bolt.
Old 06-30-2005 | 06:36 AM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by jlukja
Yes. Also don't forget that the stock intake has a resonator which is removed for both Injen and Icebox installs. The resonator muffles the sound of the intake and, to a degree, restricts the airflow.

Bumper removal is not necessary. Its quite easy to get access through the front left wheel well. All you need to do is take the wheel off and remove 4 pop-up clips and one bolt.
Thanks, jlukja. I noticed in your posts from a while back you have a '68 Dart. 440 six-pack by any chance? Used to race one in my (disappearing) youth.
Old 06-30-2005 | 08:45 AM
Team Owner

Thanks, jlukja. I noticed in your posts from a while back you have a '68 Dart. 440 six-pack by any chance? Used to race one in my (disappearing) youth.
Actually I HAD a 68' Dart. No, it wasn't the 440. It was my uncle's beater that my parents bought after I got my license (I paid for gas & maint.). It had a small block V8 (don't remember the cc) and an auto tranny on the stem. It got me through my senior year in HS, college, and into my first job before I replaced it with the IROC-Z (passed it on to my bro who is 4 years younger). Ahhh, the memories ....

jlukja, who is feeling nostalgic.