From Comptech to Topspeed.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by curls
I can't see your pics here at work, but do you have the header installed on a TSX or a 7th gen Accord? If it's on the Accord, then my first guess would be that the header isn't made precisely for THAT car, and put abnormal stress on the header... and of course the weakest link is what gives out first.

If it's installed on a TSX then maybe you got a bad one? I mean hey, they are CHEAP for a reason!
Eric, the picture of the piece looks VERY similar to the TSX one but the flex pipe seems bigger and closer to the flange so i think its a little different. Plus he said he only paid $70 something dollars for it so it certain is CHEAP!

He also has some crazy looking rope holding it up and i don't know if that was done after the break of not but i have a feeling it was stressed for some reason like you mentioned. Irriguardless, i will watch mine a little closer just to be safe.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:39 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jwood_06TSX
Eric, the picture of the piece looks VERY similar to the TSX one but the flex pipe seems bigger and closer to the flange so i think its a little different. Plus he said he only paid $70 something dollars for it so it certain is CHEAP!

He also has some crazy looking rope holding it up and i don't know if that was done after the break of not but i have a feeling it was stressed for some reason like you mentioned. Irriguardless, i will watch mine a little closer just to be safe.
Irregardless is not a real word.

But thanks for the description of the pics! Maybe it's a DC V1 copy? I recall the DC V1 header for the TSX having a different location than the newer V2 for the flex pipe. I have the V1. It's been fine for me but I also did have the connection where the flex pipe is nearest the flange, reinforced by a few tack welds. This was the common recommendation from many members here with the V1 DC header. Maybe if buddy's $70 header is a copy of the DC V1 model, he didn't reinforce it with tack welds, and, if it's installed on the wrong car, that's even more stress for an already weak design?
Old 01-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't worry about his case. We don't even know if it was on a TSX. Also, we have quite a few people running the Topspeed header here and I haven't heard of any problems.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Intermediate

it's on an accord.

lol the ropes there to hold my exhaust up while it was on the flatbed(had to get it towed home)

the header on the accord and tsx and damn near identical. minus the .5-1inch difference in the flex pipe area.

i ended up getting a dc sports header and haven't had a problem yet
Old 01-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
.5 - 1" is a lot, considering the exhaust would be pulling at the flex pipe area to separate. It's no wonder the pipe separated - you used a cheapo part on an incorrect application!
Old 01-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Intermediate

ehh it was only a test anyways. the box, shipping label, etc. were ALL named as an accord header but i guess they messed up on the design.

guess it's working nice for ya'll. just giving out some info. keep an eye on the flex pipe if anyone is worried.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:11 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by jwood_06TSX
Thanks to Eric, Jan, and 925tsx for your feedback, i think i'm going to order a new gasket and put that on and see what happens! As for the smell, its was pretty strong this morning but once the engine warms up it goes away so i guess it normal.

I hear ya Jan, i would have went with the cheaper one at first too....lol
Are you still happy with the TopSpeed header? Have you installed the new gasket?
Old 02-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by az-tsx
Are you still happy with the TopSpeed header? Have you installed the new gasket?
I'm still satisfied with it! I have been dealing with some stupid remote starter issues and since its been cold i just have held up on doing anything to my car for another month or so. I have come to the conclusion that the strange noise i get above 3k RPM's is just the nature of the "thinner" flex pipe and how the air resonates through it. I have double braided flex pipe that i may have swapped for it and i have a feeling that will get rid of that noise but it seems good so far. I did want to get under there and just take a look for a quick inspection so i'll report back after that.