Clear Bras for $24.99

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 10:14 AM
Professional SLACKER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear Bras for $24.99

Hey guys, what do you think of this one? Its a clear bra for sale on ebay for $24.99 + $14.99 shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...QQcmdZViewItem

If the link doesn't work, search for this ebay username: xtremecity

I might order one if my front bumper is not so screwed up already.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:19 AM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Be careful. It is pretty vague. They don't say whether or not it will fit with the OEM body kit or not. Also, it says just the front bumper and mirrors. What about the hood? If you buy it, tell us how it works.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:28 AM
Professional SLACKER

Yeah, for $40 I guess its ok.. what I'm affraid of it might do some damage on my car...
Old 09-27-2005, 10:40 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
is it saran wrap?

$25 for a clear bra sounds too good to be true.

plus those pics the seller uses, i've seen them before on other websites...
Old 09-27-2005, 12:07 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah I would be careful.

...although I've heard the most expensive part of clear bra is the installation. If you're willing to do it yourself, you could probably still save quite a bit of money. I'm not sure how hard the install is though.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:58 PM
Burning Brakes

I got mine from a web site for over $70 (for hood, mirrors and the fender corners). It was nice, tho, coz it came with tools -- two spray bottles, a couple of squeegie things, etc. These are cheap tools, but if you don't have them, you'll still have to come up with substitutes.

The hard part is the installation. It took me something like 5 hours total! And I didn't do a perfect job. But I saved a ton of money... well, my time is worth money, but I think I still probably came out ahead. But if you're really anal about this stuff and want it perfect, don't even bother doing it yourself. I think while it's not "invisible" it's so unnoticable that what flaws I have don't bother me much.

I didn't get the bumper part because some people were saying that rocks don't affect the rubber bumper as badly (tends to bend rather than break). My main problem are the bugs. Yuck.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:01 PM
Professional SLACKER

Originally Posted by vidgamer
I got mine from a web site for over $70 (for hood, mirrors and the fender corners). It was nice, tho, coz it came with tools -- two spray bottles, a couple of squeegie things, etc. These are cheap tools, but if you don't have them, you'll still have to come up with substitutes.

The hard part is the installation. It took me something like 5 hours total! And I didn't do a perfect job. But I saved a ton of money... well, my time is worth money, but I think I still probably came out ahead. But if you're really anal about this stuff and want it perfect, don't even bother doing it yourself. I think while it's not "invisible" it's so unnoticable that what flaws I have don't bother me much.

I didn't get the bumper part because some people were saying that rocks don't affect the rubber bumper as badly (tends to bend rather than break). My main problem are the bugs. Yuck.
Do you think its a similar quality to the one that you got?
I don't mind installing them myself. I just don't want them to damage paint.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:35 PM
04 remembrance

$25 for clear bra seems too good to be true...Must be saran wrap.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:57 PM
Advanced

Old 09-28-2005, 11:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by foolioness
Hey guys, what do you think of this one? Its a clear bra for sale on ebay for $24.99 + $14.99 shipping.
I just got this kit in the mail. It's one sheet of fairly thick clear plastic. The cut outs match the shape of the mirrors and front bumper. It doesn't come with the hood piece. Instructions are pretty good. You do have to get a few tools, spray bottle, squeegie, etc. I haven't put it on yet. I'll let you know how it goes and try to provide pics. But I'm figuring, this is better than nothing as far as protecting the paint from rocks and especially love bugs (Florida).
Old 09-28-2005, 07:07 PM
Professional SLACKER

Originally Posted by LoveMyTSX
I just got this kit in the mail. It's one sheet of fairly thick clear plastic. The cut outs match the shape of the mirrors and front bumper. It doesn't come with the hood piece. Instructions are pretty good. You do have to get a few tools, spray bottle, squeegie, etc. I haven't put it on yet. I'll let you know how it goes and try to provide pics. But I'm figuring, this is better than nothing as far as protecting the paint from rocks and especially love bugs (Florida).

Oh, Thank you so much.... I'm betting its the same materials....
Old 09-29-2005, 12:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Well, I'm pretty sure that mine had 3M stamped on it, and it seemed to me like it was the real deal. I dunno about this e-bay vendor. Caveat Emptor, and all that. Maybe LoveMyTSX can say if it was labeled/stamped 3M on the film backing...

I was going to post pics a while ago, but I have heard that over time it's supposed to lose some of the "orange peel" effect, so I thought I'd wait and see how it improved. Unfortunately, mine seems to be retaining a lot of that effect. OTOH, that effect doesn't show up in (low-res online) photos. :-) Not to mention that the car is dirty... :-( So, yeah, I have a lot of excuses for not posting pics. ;-)

Mike, you might want to take a look at how mine turned out. At least you can get an idea of what you're in for. ;-) Anyone organizing a meet in Jax soon?
Old 09-29-2005, 06:33 AM
Senior Moderator

I'll check mine to see if it has the 3M on the back. As far as a Jax meet, I haven't heard anything lately. I know some guys meet at the Winn Dixie on Roosevelt (17) on Saturday nights. You may want to check it out. I haven't been yet.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:23 PM
Senior Moderator

No 3M on the back. Well.......... I tried to put it on today..... what a joke. I tried the mirror first. It kinda fits.....but the curvature is not good. I even tried cutting some slits in it but that didn't work. Don't waste your money on this product.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:36 PM
Professional SLACKER

Hhmm.. I'm sorry to hear... I was so happy I finally can get something doen to protect the front.... DAMN that seller for giving hopes up....

And Thank you for your sacrifice.....
Old 09-29-2005, 08:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by foolioness
Hhmm.. I'm sorry to hear... I was so happy I finally can get something doen to protect the front.... DAMN that seller for giving hopes up....

And Thank you for your sacrifice.....
Glad you got something done for yours........my SSM is taking a lot of hits from all the construction around J-ville. I guess Rockblocker would be the way to go......
Old 09-29-2005, 08:17 PM
Professional SLACKER

Originally Posted by LoveMyTSX
Glad you got something done for yours........my SSM is taking a lot of hits from all the construction around J-ville. I guess Rockblocker would be the way to go......

Amen......
Old 09-29-2005, 09:37 PM
Burning Brakes

In my kit, some of the peices look slightly too small at first, but it's a lot more tricky than just putting it on. I think you're supposed to stretch it to get it around the curvature, or at least this is what I did. This is easier said than done. It probably took me an hour just on each mirror! If you didn't stretch it, then the middle would look ok, but you'd have it bulging up along the edges with excess material, because this is a thick film, like paper, not thin like saran wrap. Try wrapping paper around your mirror and see what I mean!

It's one of those things where you just have to have a "feel" for how it should work (or obviously have done it and gained some experience). The instructions weren't wrong, but they did not describe what I had to do to make it work! It is hard to explain though... So they kind of fit now (although, one mirror is better than the other, and some places have some "stretch marks"). Yet another reason to not try to do this one yourself.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:54 AM
Advanced

In my kit, some of the peices look slightly too small at first, but it's a lot more tricky than just putting it on. I think you're supposed to stretch it to get it around the curvature, or at least this is what I did. This is easier said than done. It probably took me an hour just on each mirror! If you didn't stretch it, then the middle would look ok, but you'd have it bulging up along the edges with excess material, because this is a thick film, like paper, not thin like saran wrap. Try wrapping paper around your mirror and see what I mean!

It's one of those things where you just have to have a "feel" for how it should work (or obviously have done it and gained some experience). The instructions weren't wrong, but they did not describe what I had to do to make it work! It is hard to explain though... So they kind of fit now (although, one mirror is better than the other, and some places have some "stretch marks"). Yet another reason to not try to do this one yourself.
The instructions on the Ebay website said that you can use a hair dryer to heat up the contour areas. I assume that this shrinks the plastic enough to fit the contour. I don't know if this applies to the 3M stuff considering that these instructions are for the cheap stuff on Ebay.

Regardless, I could not find a kit for less than $300 bucks. I found some extended coverage kits for $400 bucks. You can't even buy a small roll of the 3M stuff for 70 bucks. Where the crap did you get the 3M stuff for $70? Please share!
Old 10-01-2005, 08:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Hmm, maybe I should have used a hair dryer and that was part of my problem.... WELL, it's done now!

I don't think I'm allowed to post a business name because of the Acurazine rules. I just Googled for clear bras and found two web sites that did this kind of thing. One was a lot cheaper and included the tools. Try putting "clear automotive film" into Google and check out these sites and if you can't get that far, PM me.

Note that I got the kit that did not include the bumper. According to them, it is slightly more difficult to do that part. I figured I'd better start with the easier part! (And having done that, I think I'll pass on the rest!)
Old 10-24-2005, 09:45 PM
Banned

Seems that a lot of people are trying out that Ebay product recently. It is too good be true in our opinion. From what we know it is not 3M but from a company called Bekaert who is year behind 3M in terms of quality.

The design of the kit is also very poor as well as some people are finding. They dont even wrap the leading edge of the hood. Plus their installers are calling us to buy from us since we much better kits.

If we can help anyone with a Clear bra kit. Let us know. We are running specials right now in the Sponsored Section.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MaxOctane
The instructions on the Ebay website said that you can use a hair dryer to heat up the contour areas. I assume that this shrinks the plastic enough to fit the contour. I don't know if this applies to the 3M stuff considering that these instructions are for the cheap stuff on Ebay.

Regardless, I could not find a kit for less than $300 bucks. I found some extended coverage kits for $400 bucks. You can't even buy a small roll of the 3M stuff for 70 bucks. Where the crap did you get the 3M stuff for $70? Please share!

Ding Ding. We can help with that
Old 10-26-2005, 10:49 AM
Banned

Since we care about the Acura community we did some looking into this for guys.

- The film is a generic film with no name
- It is only 3 mil thinck versus the 3M 8 mil film we carry
- The gloss finish is a lot duller than ours
- The kit is actually broken up a lot more and has areas that should be covered that are not
- They say one place it is a 5 year warranty and another that it is a six year warranty
- They say it wont yellow, crack or fade, and if it does they will work on a resolution. Why not just replace it no questions asked.

I can understand if people are looking to save a buck or two and at times I have done the same thing. But just remember you get what you pay for. Sometimes cheaper is not always better.

Hope this helps some of you
Old 10-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Banned

Group Buy!!