Calling ALL Injen CAI/SR Owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 09:23 PM
RGSTRD TL & TSX Offdr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calling ALL Injen CAI/SR Owners

My Injen SP Series Intake is due for delivery sometime this week. If weather permits, I should be installing it next weekend. I already have the Injen Hydroshield in hand.

From all those that have the Injen intake installed, are you liking it better in Short Ram Mode or in Cold Air Mode? I am in the NYC region so would there be any gains in a certain mode with the weather's conditions? What are the comparisons when it comes to low-end speed/high end speed, horsepower, torque, and fuel economy? Is the hydroshield necessary if in Short Ram mode?

Thanks
Old 12-02-2007, 09:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CAI mode is better IMO but taking out the bumper is a PITA.

just remember if you do put in the CAI just save all your bolts from your bumper i was left with an extra 3-4 bolts and couldnt find where to put them.

and remember to be carefull with them they are fragile. (the plastic ones)
Old 12-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Advanced

After using my intake in both modes, I would say go with Short Ram intake. Regardless of the installation (Short ram is much easier if you leave resonator in), butt dyno felt exactly the same, with the Short ram being a tad faster off the line.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:37 PM
Quarterlife Crisis....

Received 108 Likes on 84 Posts
short ram is louder. but i got tired of the heat soak, so i went cold air and havent looked back
Old 12-02-2007, 10:53 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in Toronto, given the shitty winter weather, snow, rain, paddles of water etc, never had a problem. Just remember to drive SLOW (don't REV) going thru a deep puddle and you will be fine.

SRI gives you better initial throttle response; CAI will shine @ 5K+ rpm. Pick the one you need. BTW: Remove the useless resonator if you are going either mode.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:08 PM
East Coast Crew

Definitely do the CAI since you already got the hydro shield. I have the CAI on without hydro shield and I'm still rev happy in the rain. I went through many storms with my CAI. Not a problem at all.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:09 PM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
I like my cai i got the hydroshield just incase for extra rain and water.

I also agree be very careful, about water, puddles try to be safe, but to hydrolock we need to dip the wheel in half way at least.

cai better in the high end and less affected from heatsoak was my reason but living in the northeast means i still have to be careful.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:08 AM
Racer

When I first got mine I had it in CAI mode and I liked it a lot, but I switched to the SR for the winter, and for driving around town the little extra umph in the low end is nice. I will be going back to the CAI when spring hits when I scrap up some money for some headers. The SR is much louder then the CAI though, and honestly some times its a little annoying. Play with both modes and see what one you like best. Oh yeah, If you live in a area where it doesn't freeze a lot you might want to consider doing the TB coolant bypass, and no matter where you live pick up the Hondata intake gasket/heat shield to further benefit from your new intake.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:55 AM
Pro

well it really depends.

when gas it hard, there's a bit of lag for CAI, while SRI gives rather faster response.

CAI would be technically a better alternative intake, obviously sucking cold air.

SRI i would say is better, i'm just tired of worrying about water into the intake (hydroshield and bypass will help thou).

play around with it if u got the Injen, installation from CAI and SRI won't take more than 15 minutes.

about heatsoak, unless u drive ur TSX on track frequently, don't worry about it.
daily driving and doing highway miles once a while with ur tsx, there's no need to worry about heatsoak to be honest (asked many professionals, said tha same thing)
Old 12-03-2007, 09:17 AM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
cold air mode w/ hydroshield ftw
Old 12-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Anyone with SRI ever open the hood and look at the filter after driving in heavy snow for awhile? I did last winter and there was a disturbing about of snow/melted snow sitting on the filter. I guess the snow gets under the hood and the filter would suck it toward it but it was not something I had ever thought about and it left me a little concerned. It wasn't like I took off from a parked car with 6" of snow on the hood either, this was getting my car out of the garage and then driving maybe 20 miles or so on the highway.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:48 PM
6MT G37

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I got SRI and im happy with it!! I dont feel the need for CAI.......
Thats just me....
Old 12-03-2007, 09:02 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
There's not much difference. Try them both out when you get it, it'll be fun and it only takes like 10 minutes to switch from one to the other.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Ex-King of Pasadena

Originally Posted by jaehshim
well it really depends.

when gas it hard, there's a bit of lag for CAI, while SRI gives rather faster response.

CAI would be technically a better alternative intake, obviously sucking cold air.

SRI i would say is better, i'm just tired of worrying about water into the intake (hydroshield and bypass will help thou).

play around with it if u got the Injen, installation from CAI and SRI won't take more than 15 minutes.

about heatsoak, unless u drive ur TSX on track frequently, don't worry about it.
daily driving and doing highway miles once a while with ur tsx, there's no need to worry about heatsoak to be honest (asked many professionals, said tha same thing)
Just changed my CAI to SRI today.
15 mins!?!? i spent another extra 15mins looking for the right place to put in the clips. lol...
(first time doing it)
Old 12-07-2007, 10:24 PM
Racer

cold air hands down
Old 12-22-2007, 08:41 PM
RGSTRD TL & TSX Offdr

Finally finished finals and found time to work on the car despite how cold it was today.

I got around to installing my Injen intake today. I am very satisfied with the sound as I havn't been able to drive it around because I cant get the bumper on right. I decided to take off the bumper as I have fat fingers and big hands. I also didn't want to take the wheel off since I just got em torqued to the right setting. It seems that as I clip it from one side the other comes too short. Any tips for putting the bumper back on?

Also, am I supposed to remove anything else but these 3 piecies? There was still one more piece that I could remove but it was never mentioned in either the diy thread off here nor the Injen installation directions. I am talking about that tube that just wobbles around and runs up to the engine bay. It's held by a 10mm bolt and it's duct sits right by the battery.

Here's a pic of what I took out from the resonator area!
[img]http://www.nassef.us/car/intake.JPG[img]
Old 12-22-2007, 08:44 PM
RGSTRD TL & TSX Offdr

Finally finished finals and found time to work on the car despite how cold it was today.

I got around to installing my Injen intake today. I am very satisfied with the sound as I havn't been able to drive it around because I cant get the bumper on right. I decided to take off the bumper as I have fat fingers and big hands. I also didn't want to take the wheel off since I just got em torqued to the right setting. It seems that as I clip it from one side the other comes too short. Any tips for putting the bumper back on?

Also, am I supposed to remove anything else but these 3 piecies? There was still one more piece that I could remove but it was never mentioned in either the diy thread off here nor the Injen installation directions. I am talking about that tube that just wobbles around and runs up to the engine bay. It's held by a 10mm bolt and it's duct sits right by the battery.

Here's a pic of what I took out from the resonator area!
Old 12-22-2007, 09:39 PM
East Coast Crew

slick, I assumed u did the SRI since you didnt remove the tube. You don't have to remove that if you're doing an SRI, but for CAI you do.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:20 PM
E92

Can't hurt to remove it though, just to get it outa there since it's useless
Old 12-22-2007, 11:06 PM
RGSTRD TL & TSX Offdr

Originally Posted by visuelz
slick, I assumed u did the SRI since you didnt remove the tube. You don't have to remove that if you're doing an SRI, but for CAI you do.
Are we talking about the same tube? If I installed the CAI it would not interfere with that tube. Added to the ones in the picture it would be a total of 4 resonator peices. I will try to take pictures if it will help or I will look for a parts reference diagram.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Intermediate

just wanted to bump this thread as I have some questions...

I have been attempting to read all the threads on intake as I am in the market for one this summer and I live in Chicago. I have some questions.

1.) what is the model number of this injen intake that you can switch between CAI and SRI? Or do all injen intakes allow you to switch back and forth?

2) Where would recommend purchasing these from as this is my first mod on my 2004 TSX and first mod to any car. (i live in the chicago-land area)

3) What is the price range i should be expecting to see?

Thanks to all that can take the time to answer my questions as a newb when it comes to modding cars.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:30 PM
DKO
2nd Gear

does the hydroshield actually work?
Old 04-08-2008, 12:07 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Originally Posted by Toothman
just wanted to bump this thread as I have some questions...

I have been attempting to read all the threads on intake as I am in the market for one this summer and I live in Chicago. I have some questions.

1.) what is the model number of this injen intake that you can switch between CAI and SRI? Or do all injen intakes allow you to switch back and forth?

2) Where would recommend purchasing these from as this is my first mod on my 2004 TSX and first mod to any car. (i live in the chicago-land area)

3) What is the price range i should be expecting to see?

Thanks to all that can take the time to answer my questions as a newb when it comes to modding cars.
1. The Injen has 2 tubes, install 2 is CAI, install 1 is SRI, hence it can switched back and forth.

2. Our vendor? Just check online, alot of places has free shipping w/in the States.

3. New or used?

Originally Posted by DKO
does the hydroshield actually work?
YES. If the condition is not poor, which means water level is less than 1/5 of your rims height, and you are "rolling" over the puddle slow.

NO. If the condition is poor, which means water level is above 1/5 - 1/3 of our rims height, and you are revving thru the puddle.

Remember --> CAI + Hard Hard Rev + Any chance of water = Hydrolock your engine.

I have drove my TSX W/ CAI thru a big rain in a big puddle that is almost 1/4 of the rims high, water are moving like waves too because other cars were moving. However, I kept my throttle under 2Krpm and just slowly rolling over the scene.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:34 PM
CL9 ABP

Yea i can vouch that the hydroshield works, its just a water repelant shield.

I cleaned it a few times and its pretty hard to clean to look pretty, but it still repels water.

There are 2 models for Injen the
first one is like sp1434 something like that
and then an mr edition which gives up higher gains but better low end gain.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:18 PM
E92

I thought they were the same, just with different location for the IAT sensor and stuff. No change in the air flow
Old 04-09-2008, 06:09 AM
CL9 ABP

The new intake seems to be less hp according the dyno instead of 12hp and 8 tq this is an example.

it was like 9 and something. with a better lower gain, I installed the new intake the tubing was slightly bigger, and there was less of a throttle lag in cai mode.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Intermediate

I have been looking at new ones and it seems the are 250-280. Is that about the price range i should see for a new injen sp
Old 04-09-2008, 01:43 PM
E92

Find an MR and get pulleys with the money you save, especially if you find the intake used.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:16 PM
04 abp tsx

anyone know of any alternatives to the injen sri? i heard weapon r makes a pretty good product and im in the market. just wieghing out my options. definitely going w sr since i live in soutwest fl. any input?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:04 AM
E92

Comptech Icebox
Old 04-21-2008, 12:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Once you hear the CAI.... your foot will suddenly be made out of lead
Old 04-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Master Graphic Artist

I first had it in SRI mode because it was getting dark and I didn't want to remove the resonator. You can do the whole install without removing the bumper (in retrospect removing the bumper would make life easier).

There's definately a difference in sound from SRI to CAI, I haven't personally noticed a difference in gains due to it probably being so marginal anyway.

SRI does allow easy access for cleaning the filter though
Old 04-22-2008, 08:30 PM
04 abp tsx

im definitely gna stik w SRI. living in southwest fl i dnt wana risk sucking in any water w a CAI. especially since hurricane season is coming.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:04 PM
RGSTRD TL & TSX Offdr

For the first time I swapped from SR intake to CAI today in less then an hour. With the weather getting warmer here in NYC it's probably really unhealthy for my motor to continue running in SR. With the rising gas prices for Shell V-Power ($3.95 p/gal) here in NYC running in CAI is a lot more gas efficient. To the driver CAI is loud but obviously not as loud as SR since its further away from the driver. I immediately felt the pull difference when in 1st gear near the high RPM's where it didn't pull as much as when I was running in SR mode. Fifth gear was near silent with the CAI. When switching from fourth to fifth I thought that my engine turned off.

For personal insurance I installed the Injen Hydroshield on my filter. I didn't feel like it was necessary to install in SR mode where the filter it is above wheel height. I will probably keep it on when I switch back to SR when winter nears as snow and rain water is easily dragged into the engine bay.

Through this whole process I feel like I've mastered taking off and on the bumper and can probably challenge anyone here on the forums to a bumper installation race. (Installed in 3min & 46 seconds)
Old 06-14-2008, 11:00 PM
Engineer Extraordinaire

Have any of you monitored the fuel efficiency of SRI vs CAI for daily driving? I had read that both give ~1-2 MPG gains. Personally I rarely get over 4k RPM, so I was thinking a SRI might be an easier and more beneficial way to go for my needs.

I had also come across an interesting DIY piece on an SRI mod that used the original plastic tubing but replaced the stock airbox w/ a cone filter for lower intake resistance. Any thoughts on the performance of a bent metal tube vs the stock plastic box? The Comptech IceBox uses the standard plastic intake tubing without incident. I am not looking for bling as much as overall bang-for-buck and I would not be excited about the prospect of removing the front bumper.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:06 PM
E92

Originally Posted by daboi_n_boise
Have any of you monitored the fuel efficiency of SRI vs CAI for daily driving? I had read that both give ~1-2 MPG gains. Personally I rarely get over 4k RPM, so I was thinking a SRI might be an easier and more beneficial way to go for my needs.

I had also come across an interesting DIY piece on an SRI mod that used the original plastic tubing but replaced the stock airbox w/ a cone filter for lower intake resistance. Any thoughts on the performance of a bent metal tube vs the stock plastic box? The Comptech IceBox uses the standard plastic intake tubing without incident. I am not looking for bling as much as overall bang-for-buck and I would not be excited about the prospect of removing the front bumper.
CAI will net you about 1 mpg over the SRI because it's bringing in colder air. I've made the switch and checked the mileage, and it went up by about 1 or 2 mpg.

About the cone filter vs the airbox, it's not gonna make that much of a difference. The power gains you will see are mostly from removing the resonator. About taking the front bumper off, I did it and while it takes a little time to get off/on, I think it was a good experience and it goes back on just fine. You can get the resonator out without taking the bumper off though.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:28 AM
1st Gear

I have an 08 and am thinking about buying an injen cai, but all the websites I have searched only list the intake for 04-06 models. Does anyone know why this is and if it's ok to install this on an 08. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:01 AM
Racer

if it fits an 06 it will fit an 08. im guessing they are to lazy to update
Old 06-25-2008, 02:51 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
now i'm getting scared to install a CAI :/
Old 07-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Detail Cars in Philly in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by losothefatso
now i'm getting scared to install a CAI :/
dont be scared!! it sounds amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Calling ALL Injen CAI/SR Owners