Automatic Starter for TSX???

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 09:21 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Automatic Starter for TSX???

Did anyone get the auto starter installed?

My dealer quoted it at $595 installed. Seems steep. I heard that aftermarket starters like from Circuit City or Best Buy are damaging to the engine over the long term. My mechanic told me that, and he is very trustworthy and knowledgeable, so i believe him.

Any thoughts?

We do have a heated garage, so it's not worth it really except for when it's parked at work for a couple months out of the year.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:26 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some people get it, some don't... It's $250 or so in Brooklyn at a reputable place... As much as I would want to, you don't need to warm up the car. Just start driving slowly and that's it. I would not touch electronics these days... Enough headaches as it is.

Ex. The car still doesn't say that the door was opened by driver1, although I followed the manual closely (you'll go through this soon enouhg )...

go figure...

Alt+Cntrl+Dlt.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:31 AM
Still Lovin my 06

consumer reports

Consumer Reports (i think) said that it's actually bad to start the car and let it "warm up" as most people do. Any idling over 30 seconds is also wasting gas. I found that interesting, because my father always told me to warm up the car, give the oil a chance to get moving, etc for a couple minutes before driving, especially in the cold.

but that's what they said. i'll try and find the article i read that in.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:33 AM
Pro

bbznyc: to fix the "driver1" thing, do the followingi. Exit your car and lock the doors. Use the driver #1 keyfob to unlock the doors then enter the car. Once in, press and hold both the unlock and lock keys on your keyfob till the red led on it flashes. Done.

As far as the car starter goes, I'm in the same boat. I want to get one but after driving the car in sub -20C for a few days and seeing how quickly it warms up, I think I may pass. I also have a heated garage making it really hard to justify buying one.

edit: what bradykp said is true... anything more than 30s or at most a minute if it's an older car is just wasting gas. The car'll warm up quicker as you're moving than standing still.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:35 AM
Still Lovin my 06

warms up?

Originally Posted by helraiser
bbznyc: to fix the "driver1" thing, do the followingi. Exit your car and lock the doors. Use the driver #1 keyfob to unlock the doors then enter the car. Once in, press and hold both the unlock and lock keys on your keyfob till the red led on it flashes. Done.

As far as the car starter goes, I'm in the same boat. I want to get one but after driving the car in sub -20C for a few days and seeing how quickly it warms up, I think I may pass.

warms up quickly for heat? that's comforting. maybe consumer reports is right, with new engines and technology, who needs em!

i wouldnt pay $600 anyways.

how much are people paying for tinting?
Old 12-19-2005, 09:37 AM
Pro

locally, we can't tiint the windows directly on either side of the driver however the other 3 windows usually only cost about CDN$150 and that's done professionally by the same dude that does the rest of the local Honda & Acura dealers stuff. Branched out on his own.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:38 AM
Instructor

Getting my job done on Saturday $200 flat...

Can't get too dark though as cops tend to love me!
Old 12-19-2005, 09:39 AM
Instructor

Thank you...

[QUOTE=helraiser]bbznyc: to fix the "driver1" thing, do the followingi. Exit your car and lock the doors. Use the driver #1 keyfob to unlock the doors then enter the car. Once in, press and hold both the unlock and lock keys on your keyfob till the red led on it flashes. Done.
QUOTE]

I'll let you know... Are you a fan of Nextel ? "Done"
Old 12-19-2005, 09:40 AM
Still Lovin my 06

not bad

Originally Posted by bbznyc
Getting my job done on Saturday $200 flat...

Can't get too dark though as cops tend to love me!

nice deal, $200, let me know how it comes out and where you went.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:43 AM
Instructor

It's in brooklyn. Reputable place by Mafia and plain Russians j/k...

By appointment only!
Old 12-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Pro

Talking

word!
Old 12-19-2005, 09:53 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I think most people get automatic starters not to warm up their car for driveability but for warming up the interior of the car with heat for personnal comfort. I have an automatic starter in my old car and I love it. I can start my car from my office window and let the heat run for 5-10 mins. When I get into the car, the heat is nice and warm. It does waste gas and maybe even harm the engine but for my old car, I dont really care. The comfort is worth it.

My question is, will the automatic starter still allow the memory seat setting and roll down windows functionalities on the key fob?
Old 12-19-2005, 09:56 AM
Still Lovin my 06

i know

Originally Posted by ninjamyst
I think most people get automatic starters not to warm up their car for driveability but for warming up the interior of the car with heat for personnal comfort. I have an automatic starter in my old car and I love it. I can start my car from my office window and let the heat run for 5-10 mins. When I get into the car, the heat is nice and warm. It does waste gas and maybe even harm the engine but for my old car, I dont really care. The comfort is worth it.

My question is, will the automatic starter still allow the memory seat setting and roll down windows functionalities on the key fob?

i know it's to warm up the interior, but it was mentioned the car heats up quickly. might be a waste.

i wonder the same thing about the memory seating.

so the car knows if it's driver 1 or 2 based on which key fob you use?

that's pretty sweet!
Old 12-19-2005, 10:07 AM
Pro

nope, you lose that functionality by default. I asked in the AV section and one of the guys there responded that it may take some tampering with the wires to automatically do this when the car's disarmed for instance. At this point there's just too much tinkering going on.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:22 AM
Still Lovin my 06

which question

nope, you lose that functionality by default. I asked in the AV section and one of the guys there responded that it may take some tampering with the wires to automatically do this when the car's disarmed for instance. At this point there's just too much tinkering going on.

which question are you answering? whether the memory seat works with auto starter?
Old 12-19-2005, 11:00 AM
Pro

yeah... sorry. you lose all the personalized features when you ditch the fob, memory seats, lighting, mid info, all those goodies.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:50 AM
Intermediate

Do you have to disable the immobilzer when the auto starter installed? I heard some starters need the immobilzer to be disable.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:57 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXuck
Do you have to disable the immobilzer when the auto starter installed? I heard some starters need the immobilzer to be disable.
Yes. You will need to sacrifice one of your keys to disable the immobilizer.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:52 PM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

Originally Posted by bbznyc
Some people get it, some don't... It's $250 or so in Brooklyn at a reputable place... As much as I would want to, you don't need to warm up the car. Just start driving slowly and that's it. I would not touch electronics these days... Enough headaches as it is.

Ex. The car still doesn't say that the door was opened by driver1, although I followed the manual closely (you'll go through this soon enouhg )...

go figure...

Alt+Cntrl+Dlt.
You should note that it ONLY says "Welcome Driver 1" when you START the car. It still only says "Welcome" when you open the door.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:27 PM
Instructor

Just buy a good alarm like a Clifford with a remote started built-in. This way it doesn't seem like you wasted your money on just a remote starter.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:38 PM
Canuck

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Yes. You will need to sacrifice one of your keys to disable the immobilizer.
No you do not. I have a starter and you'll ned 2 modules. YOU DO NOT need to sacrifice a key.

This is what i used for my remote starter:

AS-2300 TW for Automatic (AS-2360 TW for Manual)
PREMIUM CONVENIENCE SERIES
2-way automatic transmission remote starter.
FM system.
HDX technology.
Up to 2 500 feet of range.
5 button 2-way transmitter.
Easy to use shift key operation.
Visual command confirmation via buttons illumination.
Audible confirmation via Piezo speaker.
System status request mode with engine runtime.
Keyless entry, engine disable, trunk release, horn panic.
Antenna with embedded ultra bright Blue LED.
Two configurable auxilary outputs.
Turbo timer mode.
Communication port for optional 5 channel and dome light supervision expansion module.

Then 2 modules:

HODL2
Honda/Acura Doorlock Alarm Interface (HODL2)
Data Bus Interface: Lock/Unlock, Driver Priority Unlock, Trunk, OEM Security Arm/Disarm, Panic, (-) Door/Trunk/Hood Trigger Output.

HONDA-SL
Transponder data bypass kit for Honda and Acura vehicles. Self learning, no additional programming required. Successor for the HONDA-DA and the only bypass kit on the market that supports all 2005 Honda and Acura models.

This bypass kit offers the latest microcontroller technology and enhanced software algorithms for databus communication. The HONDA-SL is self-learning module so programming a mode like it's predecessor the HONDA-DA is no longer required. The bypass kit no longer requires the installer to cut the ignition line for the vehicles' transponder module at the key cylinder so if the unit loses power/ground or becomes defective the vehicle will still be able to function normally. The unit has been already undergone more than 13,000 hours of testing and will function between 4.5 to 25 VDC and down to -40 degrees C.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:47 PM
Team Owner

^^Hmm...I didn't know they had those. All the other remote start systems I've seen have required hiding a key in the dash somewhere.

Good to know.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:56 PM
Canuck

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
^^Hmm...I didn't know they had those. All the other remote start systems I've seen have required hiding a key in the dash somewhere.

Good to know.
Yeah, some cars need the key and some don't. You can just saw off the key part ane leave the head (where the security chip is) and then leave it in the car if your vehicle needs the key in the car. My friend's Audi needed the key/chip in the car, he just sawed of the key part.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:21 PM
Racer

I have a crime stopper remote start in my car and it works great,I also used a bypass kit that i bought at Best Buy.So i didnt have to sacrafice a key.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:30 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Homelink question

Has anyone used the Homelink to program a garage door opener? we're having difficulty, probably because we're stupid.

I'll post pics of the RBP as soon as possible.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:37 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bradykp
Has anyone used the Homelink to program a garage door opener? we're having difficulty, probably because we're stupid.

Plenty of threads on this, brady. Run a search on Homelink and you should come across quite the wealth of info.

Plus, this is a question for a whole different thread. We don't want to get off topic after all.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:28 PM
Canuck

Off Topic but check your manual.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:55 PM
Instructor

mine worked...
Old 12-19-2005, 10:10 PM
B A N N E D

is there anyway i can get just the starter, all i keep finding is these kits with keyless entry, alarm, etc.
i dont need all that shit, just the starter.
can anyone point me in the right direction.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:58 PM
TSX4EVR

Did anyone get the auto starter installed?

My dealer quoted it at $595 installed. Seems steep. I heard that aftermarket starters like from Circuit City or Best Buy are damaging to the engine over the long term. My mechanic told me that, and he is very trustworthy and knowledgeable, so i believe him.

Any thoughts?

We do have a heated garage, so it's not worth it really except for when it's parked at work for a couple months out of the year.
I had the remote starter added to my 06 TSX. It is similar to a Compustar but is under the name of Nu-star. I did not have to sacrifice one of my keys.

In my case when you use the remote starter to start the car, it completely locks out the Acura remote. I was under the impression that if I used the Acura remote to unlock the door that the memory seating will still work off of the key but I don't think that it does. I never see Welcome Driver 1. I don't know if the other functions work or not. I was told that they would if I use the Acura remote to unlock it.

I do like the remote. Mine is good for almost a mile (which I don't need), but it is useful from my 16th floor office. I have a bad habit of not waiting long enough to warm up my car so this is good thing for me. It is also good to come down to a warmer car. Although it has been a relatively mild winter so far, it can get very cold here.

I guess in the summer when it's hot, it will be a good way to cool down the car with it's ebony seats before I get into it.

It's a luxury item which I never have had before, but I am glad that I got it.

The seat memory can still work off of the door and that is really all that matters.

Excited
Old 12-19-2005, 11:13 PM
Pro

There's still other functions that are linked to the driver settings though beyond the seats. Still, it's good to know that you were able to get it going excited. I think for now I'm gonna skip out on the alarm/starter. Maybe when we start hitting the -40C I'll consider it heh.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:15 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
It could be great if you can give us a more thorough review of the starter after you have played with it, Excited. I am very interested in learning how much it costed, what features you lost due to it, and etc. I have an automatic starter on my old car now and it's the ONLY thing I love about my car. It was -1 degrees today in Champaign, IL and I am so glad I was able to start my car from my office window.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:13 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

I have the Clifford Matrix 3.5 installed on my 04. I love it, only thing is that I don't use the factory keyless entry anymore. I did have to sacrifice the valet key though.

During the spring I am going to rewire it so that the Matrix remote enables/disables both the factory and aftermarket alarms.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:18 AM
Canuck

Originally Posted by 925tsx
is there anyway i can get just the starter, all i keep finding is these kits with keyless entry, alarm, etc.
i dont need all that shit, just the starter.
can anyone point me in the right direction.
Why? then you would need to carry 2 remotes.

You need the bypasskits to bypass the immobilizer and the factory alarm when the car starts.

Our TSX works on a BUS data system and not pulses like VW's and older cars.

I'm going to wire one of my auxiliary buttons to turn on and off the rear defroster. My friend is an installer/designer on high end cars and we have a few ideas on what to integrate witht he starter.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Canuck

Originally Posted by yuhoo22
I have the Clifford Matrix 3.5 installed on my 04. I love it, only thing is that I don't use the factory keyless entry anymore. I did have to sacrifice the valet key though.

During the spring I am going to rewire it so that the Matrix remote enables/disables both the factory and aftermarket alarms.
If you went my route you would not have to sacrifice a key and use all the factory options. You'd use the new remote like it was the old remote from rolling windows down to door locks.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:37 PM
TSX4EVR

Thanks helraiser, my TSX does recognize me as Driver 1 now and the MID works now as well. I guess no ill effects from my remote starter and I just love coming down to a warm car.

Excited
Old 12-20-2005, 11:35 PM
Pro

Good to know... may get that remote start sooner than later

l8r yo
Old 12-21-2005, 07:57 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

Hey narci,

How involved is the install of the HODL2 module? Would this work with my Clifford alarm? From the instruction it looks like it only needs the connection of the harness and 2 wires? Is this correct? what is the price you paid?
Old 12-21-2005, 01:35 PM
Instructor

I have used the programmable transponder bypasses before and they dont always work right. Infact DEI makes one for honda, but they state that it does not work on TL's TSX's new accords etc...... Using a bypass that uses your valet key is the best way to go, It will always work. and seriously, how many times do you NEED all 3 keys to your car?

But I have the Viper 791 on my car, and I remote start it everyday, sometimes for longer than others depending on how cold it is outside. I have had 6 cars and everyone has had a remotestart and I have never had any engine problem due to the remote start. Someone explain to me how that would happen. The engine doesnt knwo the difference between starting with a key or with a remote. And about the idling thing. I was taught that you should never drive your car with a cold engine. you should always let it warm up. Well if the engine is warm enough to drive then it should blow out warm air. So how is this damaging?
Old 12-21-2005, 02:15 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gmfreed
I was taught that you should never drive your car with a cold engine.
Actually, with the TSX, the engine and the exhaust system is designed to allow the car to warm up very quickly. In fact, even with the low temperatures we've had here lately, the car warms up in a matter of minutes.

Quick Reply: Automatic Starter for TSX???