Amsoil Synchromesh MT Oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 05:35 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsoil Synchromesh MT Oil

This afternoon I replaced the Honda MTF in my '04 6MT with Amsoil Synchromesh 5W-30 tranny fluid. The procedure is really simple (thanks moda_way for diagrams) and straightforward, took about 45 minutes including jacking the car onto four stands.

My impression of the Amsoil tranny oil is that the 1-2 and 5-6 shifts are noticeably smoother. It's particularly noticeable when the tranny's cold, but even when warmed up the shifts are quite a bit slicker and smoother. At $9.25/qt including freight, it's about the same cost as Honda MTF -- this was more of an experiment than a cost-saving exercise.

Initially, I have nothing but good results to report with this tranny fluid! (My brother put it in his '99 Accord 5MT a few weeks ago with similar results.)

It can be gotten HERE.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:39 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh no, dont make me say it

Where is moda's thread with the procedure? Guess I missed it.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:10 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by joerockt

I'm going to dyno once I install the Comptech heatshield gasket, I'm sure between the two I'll pick up 12-14 whp!

Here's the procedure (a hybrid of moda's directions and my own experience):

1. Park the vehicle on level ground, and turn the engine OFF. Jack all four corners and place on jack stands -- make sure the car is still level!
2. Remove the plastic faring-splash shield-underbody plastic whatever-it-is (see your owner's manual, pg. 257)
3. Remove the oil filler plug and washer as described in the owner's manual (pg. 258). It's on the top driver's side of the tranny, facing up, behind and outboard of the shift linkage, below the tranny grounding wire.
4. Remove the drain plug (D) and drain the fluid into an oil pan.
5. Re-install the drain plug with a new drain plug washer (P/N 90403-RAR-M000). Tighten to 29 lb-ft.
6. Remove the oil check-hole plug (A) -- this is opposite the drain plug, on the driver's side. You can get at it from underneath or by removing the driver's side front wheel.
7. Fill the tranny through the fill hole in the top. I used a tranny funnel with a long, flexible spout. It takes 2.1 to 2.3 quarts. Fluid will dribble out of the check hole when the tranny's full -- assuming the car is LEVEL.
6. Re-install the oil filler plug and check-hole plug with new filler plug washers (P/N 90404-RAR-M000). Tighten each to 33 lb-ft.
7. Install the splash shield.

The drain bolt-head is made to insert a 3/8" ratchet into, like the back of a socket. I used this diagram along with the diagrams in the owner's manual. It's easy and straightforward, all the bolts came loose without the breaker bar.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:20 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome, thanks man
Old 01-23-2006, 02:35 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by peter_bigblock
This afternoon I replaced the Honda MTF in my '04 6MT with Amsoil Synchromesh 5W-30 tranny fluid. The procedure is really simple (thanks moda_way for diagrams) and straightforward, took about 45 minutes including jacking the car onto four stands.

My impression of the Amsoil tranny oil is that the 1-2 and 5-6 shifts are noticeably smoother. It's particularly noticeable when the tranny's cold, but even when warmed up the shifts are quite a bit slicker and smoother. At $9.25/qt including freight, it's about the same cost as Honda MTF -- this was more of an experiment than a cost-saving exercise.

Initially, I have nothing but good results to report with this tranny fluid! (My brother put it in his '99 Accord 5MT a few weeks ago with similar results.)

It can be gotten HERE.
What was your mileage at?
Old 01-23-2006, 06:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by joerockt

peter_bigblock got to it before me. I have about 1.5k miles more to go before I change mine.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:22 AM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by moda_way
peter_bigblock got to it before me. I have about 1.5k miles more to go before I change mine.
I have 25.5k (I change tranny oil every 30k, regardless of what the manual says). So I jumped the gun a little, but I was curious after my brother put Amsoil in his 5MT Accord and loved it. Plus, I was bored.

This morning it was 25 deg and going through the gears was noticeably smoother when the tranny was cold. Once it warmed up, it was positively slick -- much more so than with the Honda oil with 25k on it. For me, the Amsoil is a good complement to the short shifter, which made the shifting a little notchy. Not anymore!
Old 01-23-2006, 08:34 AM
Suzuka Master

I have 25.5k (I change tranny oil every 30k, regardless of what the manual says). So I jumped the gun a little, but I was curious after my brother put Amsoil in his 5MT Accord and loved it. Plus, I was bored.

This morning it was 25 deg and going through the gears was noticeably smoother when the tranny was cold. Once it warmed up, it was positively slick -- much more so than with the Honda oil with 25k on it. For me, the Amsoil is a good complement to the short shifter, which made the shifting a little notchy. Not anymore!

Yeah, I was just waiting til 50k miles b/c I'm due to change the oil then, so to have more time with my son (i.e. keep the wife happy by not being in the garage so much), I am going to do it at the same time and not get so much oil on the lower pan too for once.

BTW, good write-up. I'll take pics when I do mine because I've found the diagrams to be oriented strangely, so we'll have actual photos of it when I do mine.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:51 AM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by moda_way
Yeah, I was just waiting til 50k miles b/c I'm due to change the oil then, so to have more time with my son (i.e. keep the wife happy by not being in the garage so much), I am going to do it at the same time and not get so much oil on the lower pan too for once.

BTW, good write-up. I'll take pics when I do mine because I've found the diagrams to be oriented strangely, so we'll have actual photos of it when I do mine.
Cool, yeah photos are always better. I thought about it but it was cold and I was trying to get done in the hour my wife allotted me. In that diagram, the upper left corner of the diagram is towards the front of the car. Getting oil on that lower fairing is a pain, but it almost all ran off into my used oil pan. Make sure to warm the tranny up beforehand -- makes the oil run out nicely.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Cool, yeah photos are always better. I thought about it but it was cold and I was trying to get done in the hour my wife allotted me. In that diagram, the upper left corner of the diagram is towards the front of the car. Getting oil on that lower fairing is a pain, but it almost all ran off into my used oil pan. Make sure to warm the tranny up beforehand -- makes the oil run out nicely.

Yeah, sounds like you have the same situation I do... we're allocated time to do the work we want. LOL

Good advice on warming the car up as well!!!