Aftermarket motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 02:48 PM
Git er Done!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aftermarket motor mounts

Does anyone know if there is a company out there that makes stiffer engine mounts for our cars? If I can't find any, I was thinking of getting one or two of those engine dampers and making some brakets for them to mount to. Any ideas?

Check out the link below...this is what I was thinking of using.

http://www.modacar.com/products/Hond...inedamper.html
Old 11-07-2005, 03:10 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by 04Carbon6
Does anyone know if there is a company out there that makes stiffer engine mounts for our cars? If I can't find any, I was thinking of getting one or two of those engine dampers and making some brakets for them to mount to. Any ideas?

Check out the link below...this is what I was thinking of using.

http://www.modacar.com/products/Hond...inedamper.html
Its not really possible to use aftermarket motor mounts like the RSX does. The TSX ones are hydraulic and adjust the vibration of the engine at different speeds... hence its not just a swap of rubber for stiffer material.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:53 PM
Git er Done!!

Yeah, I knew they were liquid filled. I talked with the parts manager at my local Acura dealer awhile back and he gave me a print out of the exploded picture of all the mounts. I told him what I was looking for and what we came up with is draining the fluid out of the mounts and filling them with poly. I mean this "should" work but I don't really feel like hacking up my mounts because they are expensive to replace. What are you thoughts on those engine dampers?
Old 11-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Subie Tech

I think engine dampers worth every penny. I installed one on a RSX and it did it's job. The only downfall is that the car vibrates a lot.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:04 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What benefits do better motor mounts provide?
Old 11-07-2005, 07:32 PM
A DiRTBAG decal on my

Benefits = Less wheel hop.

Pop your hood and have someone step on the gas. Your motor should move, with stiffer motor mounts the movement is reduced.

I had Energy Suspension motor mounts on my Integra, it was awesome.

Motor Mounts
Old 11-08-2005, 02:07 AM
Git er Done!!

What sucks about the damper is that no company makes a direct bolt on. So I'm going to order one for a 94-97 Accord for 80 bucks shipped from a guy on Honda-Tech. He said I'm better off going with that application because the mounts that it comes with are nice and straight, so its easy to modify. Then I'll have to fab up a bracket and I'm going to attach it to the rear engine mount (the one closest to the firewall) because there is a ton of room back there. I just have to figure out if that rear mount is under compression or tension during acceleration. I hope I can get this to work...I'll probably be the first one to try something like this.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:02 AM
Cruisin'

What sucks about the damper is that no company makes a direct bolt on. So I'm going to order one for a 94-97 Accord for 80 bucks shipped from a guy on Honda-Tech. He said I'm better off going with that application because the mounts that it comes with are nice and straight, so its easy to modify. Then I'll have to fab up a bracket and I'm going to attach it to the rear engine mount (the one closest to the firewall) because there is a ton of room back there. I just have to figure out if that rear mount is under compression or tension during acceleration. I hope I can get this to work...I'll probably be the first one to try something like this.
M&M does make one for CL7. cost JPY 21,000.

link => http://www.mandm-honda.com/pares%20list%20body.html
Old 11-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Git er Done!!

Damn...that looks like it should work. Anyone know how to convert that page to English?
Old 11-08-2005, 12:28 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Damn...that looks like it should work. Anyone know how to convert that page to English?
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr

but the CL7 uses a K20A engine, not a K24, so mounting points might not be the same
Old 11-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,791 Likes on 2,555 Posts
Originally Posted by xizor
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr

but the CL7 uses a K20A engine, not a K24, so mounting points might not be the same
I think it should work
Old 11-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The TSX has a very nice engine mount system... It's very different than the previous design.

ENGINE MOUNT SYSTEM

Since the engine is the heaviest concentrated component in a vehicle, and the source of significant vibration, the mounting system that supports it has a profound effect on interior noise levels, handling and overall driving characteristics. Isolating the engine from the body with "soft" mounts can make for good NVH characteristics, but wreak havoc on handling and driveline performance as the engine moves on its mounts. Conversely, locking the engine in place (like in a racing machine) is the best from a handling standpoint, but guarantees unbearable NVH performance. For the TSX, neither extreme was appropriate. The TSX uses a carefully orchestrated system of six mounts to combine impressively high levels of isolation with stable engine placement for precise handling.

Two mounts are placed below the TSX engine's center of gravity, and attach the engine to the front subframe, which itself is isolated from the car's body by bolted rubber mounts. The forward-most of these two "center of gravity" engine mounts is an electronically controlled hydraulic unit with variable dual-mode stiffness. It switches between a setting optimized for damping vibration at idle, and another firmer setting for higher speeds and rougher roads. The rear most of the center of gravity mounts is a non-adjusting hydraulic unit.

To keep the engine properly positioned during severe maneuvering, another electronically controlled dual-mode mount is placed high on the right side of the engine to tie it to the body structure. Finally, to carry the weight of the transmission and limit powertrain movement, a series of three mounts position the transmission.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:30 PM
WAS HONDATAFIED IN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i talked to ingalls a bout this about a year ago, they said that they would have something earlier this year but didn't, however i was up to the point of getting an rsx "stiffy" and making my own brackets, and then i would ship it all back to them and get some sort of money back, what exactly we didn't talk, but contact them, maybe they still want to do it. i didn't go through with it cause i don't have anywhere to drill and make the brackets to mount the stiffy.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:55 PM
3rd Gear

Not an owner, but ive got a J's Racing ETD on my S2000 and it is the best mod I could have done. It was a PITA to modify to fit (made for RHD) but worth all the hassle. Engine vibrations has been reduced along with the rattling shifter!

Anyway, just putting in my 2cents...
Old 10-03-2011, 04:17 PM
MLB
7th Gear

Other than the dealer, where do you get a front Motor mount?
Old 10-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MLB
Other than the dealer, where do you get a front Motor mount?
I got new "Anchor" brand mounts from rockauto.com and they seem to be high quality, OE-compatible mounts. They're definitely stiffer than the worn-out ones that were in the car, but that's to be expected. I'm highly satisfied with them!