AEM Dryflow filter for CAI / SRI

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 09:49 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
AEM Dryflow filter for CAI / SRI

Anyone have experience with the new AEM Dryflow filters? They are CAI/SRI performance filters who do not require oiling like the old K&N, AEM, and Injen filters.

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=93

Looking at this email PDF which has test results, it looks like a highly efficient yet better-filtering filter, than the Injen CAI filter (assuming Injen's filters are all roughly the same).
http://www.aempower.com/files/dryflo...iraid9inch.pdf

I wonder how easy it would be to install one of these AEM Dryflow filters on an Injen CAI for the TSX. Better filtering is always a welcome thing, especially if it (supposedly) performs better, too!
Old 09-14-2006, 09:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
It has been brought up before but not sure who has done it.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26733
Old 09-14-2006, 10:54 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am running this AEM filter on my Injen in SRI mode. I got it (like most of my stuff) through MrHeelToe.

The filters seem to come in two lengths (short and long), and a number of opening sizes. The size for the new Injen intake is 3.5", not sure for the pervious version. Not sure of the Part No, but it should not be too hard to find.

Installation was a little tricky, as the end of the Injen tube has a rib, and the end of the AEM filter is short, so without the clamp the filter tends to slide off of the end of the tube very easily.

Aside from that, the filter looks great, in a speckled grey material. There's no external metal mesh like the traditional construction, but it's internally reinforced with a plastic frame which flexs, so the filter won't stay bent if it get's twisted. Soundwise, no surprises. It seems comparable in sound to any cone style filter.

I chose this filter because of the maintenance aspect. Will post a pic of the install later.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Got this from the thread referenced:

21-203DK 3.0” x 5” = Injen

21-202DK 2.75” x 5”= K&N
Old 09-14-2006, 11:52 AM
Port & Polish Everything

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i have one, it works fine, it supposedly filters better than oiled cotton at the expense of flow. However that is a better trade off for a daily driver.

When you hold it up to light to look through, it doesn't have the pin hole dots showing through like cotton.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Air Filter, 3.5" Opening x 5" Element
21-204DK
Old 09-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would go K&N personally. I've used them in every car that I've owned.

the aem flows less than the k&n, but isn't that what you want? you're converting your stock intake system to one that flows better for more performance. why would you put on a better flowing intake only to put on a lower flowing filter? that seems to be counter productive IMO.

I have no experience with AEM dry filters, but I have not had any problems with any k&n filters. also, how do you clean an aem? do you just wash it like you would a k&n and let it dry? or can you wash it?
Old 09-14-2006, 12:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Q: How well does the DRYFLOW filter flow?
A: We design our DRYFLOW filters to exceed the flow requirements for the size of the engine that we designed the intake for. For instance, the flow requirements of a 5.4L V8 engine with a volumetric efficiency of 80% is 460 cubic feet/minute () @ 6000 RPM. The DRYFLOW filter we supply for an engine this size flows nearly 1,100 (a 4” x 9” filter), which accomplishes two things. The first is that it allows you to add modifications that increase flow demand without exceeding the flow capabilities of the filter, and it also extends the filter’s service cycle (you don’t have to clean it as often) because it can trap more dirt without sacrificing flow. Rest assured that we have taken flow into account for all of our intake designs and our DRYFLOW filters will deliver more than adequate flow for your vehicle.

Q: How long does it take to clean the DRYFLOW filter?
A: The DRYFLOW filter media is hydrophobic, which is a fancy way of saying it does not soak up water. Under normal conditions, cleaning will take about an hour. We recommend that you follow the instructions that are included in our intake systems and DRYFLOW filter replacement filter kits (CLICK HERE for downloadable cleaning instructions). Unlike oiled filters that must be cleaned, then dried, then oiled, then wait for the oil to wick to the material and finally fill in any “gaps” where the oil did not wick, with the DRYFLOW you simply bucket soak it, bucket rinse, shake it out and it will be dry in approximately 30 minutes!
Old 09-14-2006, 12:52 PM
Burning Brakes

wow good to know.. i was about to buy the filter cleaner to clean my oiled filter but i might go and get the dryflow filter.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:51 PM
08 MDX with Sports

Thumbs down

I was comparing it to my red k&N filter and the new dry one looks really dirty-thin/old/ebay-filter(like), but hey thats just "appearance" right?
Old 09-14-2006, 10:01 PM
Advanced

Here is a picture of the intake with AEM Dryflow filter ...

Old 09-15-2006, 08:15 AM
Senior Moderator

I have the Injen (RD1430) in the CAI mode. Is it 3" or 3.5". I just wanna make sure I order the correct size. Tks...........

BTW it looks great on your Injen!!
Old 09-15-2006, 10:28 AM
Advanced

I think I have the MR. You just have to measure the size of the opening with a ruler or tape measure to determine what size filter you need.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:02 PM
A DiRTBAG decal on my

How is that IM?

What other stuff do you have done to your car?
Old 09-15-2006, 02:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TSX2345
How is that IM?

What other stuff do you have done to your car?
IM?

My car is a 2003 Accord Euro-R. I've done relatively few mods and apart from what I have planned/outstanding, probably won't do much more.

Skunk2 Shift Knob
Super white interior LED's
DC5R Rear emblem
Injen MR w/AEM DryFlow
TB Bypass
Greddy SP2
Apexi Super Ground
Cusco Front Strut Brace
BC N+
Ingalls Camber Kit
18" Civic Si HFP wheels

I have Hondata IM gasket, Modulo Voltage bumper, M3 style lip spoiler and Skunk2 Oil Cap not yet installed, and will DIY the oil catch can soon. (May do headers )
Old 09-15-2006, 06:02 PM
A DiRTBAG decal on my

Oh I saw the RBC manifold and didn't know your location. THats why I asked. You have the actual Euro R
Old 09-16-2006, 09:42 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I put the Dryflow on my K&N Typhoon just because I did not want to mess around with the filter oiling that sounded like a big pain in the butt. I never ran the K&N filter so I cannot make a direct comparison. The K&N filter felt more substantial, but the AEM does not feel cheap or anything.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:09 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by scheißterhöffer
I put the Dryflow on my K&N Typhoon just because I did not want to mess around with the filter oiling that sounded like a big pain in the butt. I never ran the K&N filter so I cannot make a direct comparison. The K&N filter felt more substantial, but the AEM does not feel cheap or anything.
I'd assume the K&N (oil-type) filter would feel more substantial because of the oil making it heavier.

Have you had to clean the AEM one yet? If so, how easy is it?
Old 09-16-2006, 12:59 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by curls
No, have not had to clean it yet.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:24 PM
Port & Polish Everything

Originally Posted by curls
I'd assume the K&N (oil-type) filter would feel more substantial because of the oil making it heavier.

they say just dunk it in water until neck height and you can probably get away with using just a bit of laundry detergent, since the media is polyester.

The AEM specific cleaning stuff is a bit expensive.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:31 PM
Port & Polish Everything

Originally Posted by gftgrill
I would go K&N personally. I've used them in every car that I've owned.

the aem flows less than the k&n, but isn't that what you want? you're converting your stock intake system to one that flows better for more performance. why would you put on a better flowing intake only to put on a lower flowing filter? that seems to be counter productive IMO.

I have no experience with AEM dry filters, but I have not had any problems with any k&n filters. also, how do you clean an aem? do you just wash it like you would a k&n and let it dry? or can you wash it?

it's been documented very well that K&Ns let more dirt in, sometimes several times more dirt than OE quality media. Of course it flows better but it's an inherent tradeoff between filtering and flow.

this is a good study

Now, whether it's enough to cause any damage it's not so clear. It's a choice each user can decide for themselves. I mean some people run open individual throttle bodies and such.