Are you your own installer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 10:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you your own installer?

Hey guys,

I was trying to find out some tool recommendations for what you self installers like to use when you work on your TSX's. I searched and didn't find a lot. I have been using a lot of my dad's stuff which is old and i just think it would be nice to get my own stuff anyway and i also thought it would be a good thread to list some tools, brand names, etc. I know i am personally trying to figure out what the best size air compressor to get, torque wrench, impact wrench, jack etc. Mr Heeltoe informed me a nice place for a jack and i saw that Sears was having a huge sale on some major tools and thought it would be good time to get some opinions of what you have and what you like/dislike about the tools including the size and specs of the tools!

Any info would be great for myself and i think many other aspiring sefl installers out here

Edit: Also maybe include some methodology in how you approach working on your car.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:15 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not that I've done much, but I have a bunch of Craftsman stuff. Relatively inexpensive and decent quality. In my opinion, avoid if you're a pro (especially power tools), but completely suitable for the weekend warrior.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:21 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Craftsman is nice because if you break a socket or a wrench or anything, just bring it back and get a new one for free.

Start with a good set of open ended wrenches, a good socket set, and then look at getting a compressor and impact wrench (but IMO you don't need an impact wrench, but it is nice for stubborn bolts.).
Old 09-26-2006, 08:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by curls
Craftsman is nice because if you break a socket or a wrench or anything, just bring it back and get a new one for free.

Start with a good set of open ended wrenches, a good socket set, and then look at getting a compressor and impact wrench (but IMO you don't need an impact wrench, but it is nice for stubborn bolts.).
Yea, i def like Craftsman, as i broke a 20 year old shovel with a wooden handle and walked into Sears and they gave me a brand new one without even scanning it or anything, just told me to go get one off the shelf and show it to them!

What size compressor do you recommend (or already use) for running decent impact wrenches, and the like?
Old 09-26-2006, 09:56 AM
Drifting

it really depends if you want to use it for other things like an air sander or air chisel in the future, or just want to stay with the basic such as an impact wrench...

i think i have a 30 gallon air compressor, with around 7.0 S @ 90lbs PSI..

that gets most of the jobs done for the purposes that i need it for... if i was to use an air sander or an air chisel it probalby wouldn't be enough power, but i don't forsee using those anytime in the future...

with tools it's just important to make sure you don't cheap out, but that doesn't mean you have to buy the most expensive either... take ur time and research products you want to buy and then they'll last you for years..

Mechanixx work gloves are nice to use too when ur working on a car, saved me from many cuts scrapes etc, and gives you a good grip and you can still feel things ur working on, and as far as methodology goes, again research before you do... that'll save you tons of time when doing something... nothings worse than taking your car apart and being stuck on some step of whatever it is that you're doing and now you have to go inside online or bring ur laptop out to figure out what your next step is...

get a helms manual if you want... decent investment if you plan on doing alot of work yourself...
Old 09-26-2006, 10:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cibs
it really depends if you want to use it for other things like an air sander or air chisel in the future, or just want to stay with the basic such as an impact wrench...

i think i have a 30 gallon air compressor, with around 7.0 S @ 90lbs PSI..

that gets most of the jobs done for the purposes that i need it for... if i was to use an air sander or an air chisel it probalby wouldn't be enough power, but i don't forsee using those anytime in the future...

with tools it's just important to make sure you don't cheap out, but that doesn't mean you have to buy the most expensive either... take ur time and research products you want to buy and then they'll last you for years..

Mechanixx work gloves are nice to use too when ur working on a car, saved me from many cuts scrapes etc, and gives you a good grip and you can still feel things ur working on, and as far as methodology goes, again research before you do... that'll save you tons of time when doing something... nothings worse than taking your car apart and being stuck on some step of whatever it is that you're doing and now you have to go inside online or bring ur laptop out to figure out what your next step is...

get a helms manual if you want... decent investment if you plan on doing alot of work yourself...
Gotcha! Yea i'm not sure what else i would use it for yet, but thanks for the advice! I will def get a helms manual soon as well. As soon as i get the Tein's installed, i plan on starting some engine mod's as of the first of the year and doing the install myself if its not too cold...lol.

Anyone else have any recommendations, tooly types, sizes etc?

I'm assuming there are people out there that would benefit from this as well......could be wrong
Old 09-26-2006, 10:29 AM
'06 TSX 6MT

For setting up a DIY garage here's my
1. Nitrile gloves- get boxes of 100, they're disposable and better protection against nasty fluids than latex. also get some dust masks if you're going to be under the car or near the brakes.
2. Don't get a Husky Compressor from Home Depot. I have one and it trips the breaker if it gets hot from running constantly (using Air Hammer)
3. If you get a compressor, get an impact wrench, and an air ratchet, it should come with the accessories to fill balloons, tires, and blow dust away. Also remember you need special impact sockets for the impact wrench.
4. I have 3 torque wrenches because i got cheap when i bought the second one. Get the "clicker" type torque wrenches not the beam type (cheaper). you really only need one to start with i have the 20-120 ft-lb craftsman (torque wrenches are not covered by the lifetime warranty). If you do engine work, you should also get a torque wrench that measures in inch-lbs.
5. Go craftsman. join the craftsman club and wait for one of their special sales (around once a month i think) you can pick up your torque wrench, hand tools (i recommend one of their mechanics tool sets to start with) and compressor for a pretty good discount if you can wait for it.
6. you need a breaker bar, but not a craftsman (too expensive, and not long enough) Harbor Freight has them for pretty cheap, and this is one of the few exceptions to the "don't buy cheap tools" rule.
7. Vise grips- i always use them. especially the ones designed specifically for hex-head nuts and bolts. the needle-nose ones I've found to be less useful.
8. jack stands and wheel blocks- have 4 of each, i have 2 craftsman that came with my craftsman jack, and 2 no-name that came with a jack i got on sale at pep boys
9. A good flashlight, extension mirror, and universal joints for your ratchet will help you see/get to those awkward places
10- "Make sure to read and understand the instructions that came with your power tools, and remember there's no more important safety rule, than to wear these, safety glasses" -Norm Abram
Old 09-26-2006, 10:49 AM
Senior Moderator

So far I have not found the NEED for an impact wrench in any of the work I've done. Granted it would have made a lot of it a lot easier, but my trusty Craftsman hand tools have changed my intake, sway bar, header and cat, along with lots of little audio work.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use a Sidchrome socket set. Also have Craftsman ratchet spanners and the all important breaker bar. Also a set of jackstands for use when going under the car.

Rule #1: Never go under the car without using jackstands.
Rule #2: Used engine oil is carcinogenic
Rule #3: Never go under the car without using jackstands.
Rule #4: The hammer is not a tool for use around the car (use a rubber mallet if you have to)
Rule #5: Never go under the car without using jackstands.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:58 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jwood_04TSX
Gotcha! Yea i'm not sure what else i would use it for yet, but thanks for the advice! I will def get a helms manual soon as well. As soon as i get the Tein's installed, i plan on starting some engine mod's as of the first of the year and doing the install myself if its not too cold...lol.

Anyone else have any recommendations, tooly types, sizes etc?

I'm assuming there are people out there that would benefit from this as well......could be wrong
I donno how it is for you guys in the US but i've definitely found that getting metric tools is great, because the honda/acura parts are all metric, i know that most imperial tools fit, but i find metric works a little better...

Which tein's are you installing? springs or full coils? make sure you get/rent a decent spring compressor if you're doing spring or the Basics, i used a ghetto one and it definitely doubled my install time...
Old 09-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Lone Starr, that is exactly what i was hoping people would do and continue to do!!

As for aarong, i will never, have never, and won't ever forget, not go under the car without jackstand as rule 1, 3, & 5 state....

Edit: Cibs- i'm getting Tein Basics and i think i am just going to have some one else install it. A place near by me was actually on Tein website so fo this, i'm gonna pay to have it done. Yea, i heard not go getting or renting a cheap spring compressor for that = bad and not safe. I'll be doing most of my own stuff from here on out. I did the icebox, body kit, stuff like that so far myself!
Old 09-26-2006, 11:01 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by aaronng
I use a Sidchrome socket set. Also have Craftsman ratchet spanners and the all important breaker bar. Also a set of jackstands for use when going under the car.

Rule #1: Never go under the car without using jackstands.
Rule #2: Used engine oil is carcinogenic
Rule #3: Never go under the car without using jackstands.
Rule #4: The hammer is not a tool for use around the car (use a rubber mallet if you have to)
Rule #5: Never go under the car without using jackstands.

well said...

and it is true an impact wrench isn't necessary, but alot of things aren't necessary... impact wrench just makes for things being easier... which i won't complain about... it's a kinda luxury thing to have... and it makes swapping wheels and such a BREEZE (using a torque wrench to tighten the bolts back down of course... )
Old 09-26-2006, 11:08 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,791 Likes on 2,555 Posts
Craftsman Craftsman Craftsman. That is the only thing in my toolbox. You break it take it back and they dont even ask questions they just replace it. I have broken like 4 screwdrivers, 2 sockets, 2 socket adapters, and one 1/4 in wratchet.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yea, i personally always goes with Craftsman just because of the history i have had in dealing with their warranty policy....FOREVER!! Keep it coming if others have anything else to add....

What size breaker bar do you guys use?....i know Lone Starr said that he thought the Craftsman was too short.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:00 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

my main tools, collected these over the years,

HELMS MANUAL
65-piece Craftsman tool set
3/8 IR ratchet, 1/2 IR impact wrench with long/short sockets**
3/8 IR cordless impact wrench, 1/2 Snap-on cordless impact
3/8, 1/2 Craftsman Torque wrench
Compression test tool
A/C test tool
Voltmeter
Craftsman 3-ton jack and stands
A big long pipe
Whole bunch of Honda parts

**getting upgraded to JTso's this xmas b/c his 1/2 model is pimp
Old 09-26-2006, 10:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Rachet gear wrench set with adapter sockets.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:54 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

most useful tool I have is a 1/2" 24" breaker bar, also useful are racheting wrenchs, a clip removing tool, and magnetic bolt retriever
Old 09-27-2006, 07:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

What size air compressor do you guys use to run your tools?
Old 09-27-2006, 07:57 AM
Senior Moderator

I have a 33 gal compressor. 150psi, 1.7hp running, 5hp max developed, 7.8s at 40psi, and 5.8s at 90psi. It's fine for filling tires, and light air tool usage. However, it's not good enough for air grinder, air saw or anything that consumes high volume of air.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:40 AM
Advanced

What i always buy is Craftsman I have been buying tools for the past couple of years and getting them for gifts from my wife for christmas. I love to shop at Sears. Here are a few things that I have.

-Craftsman 60 Gal Air compressor

Air tools:
-Craftsman Impact wrench
-Craftsman Air Chizle
-Craftsman Air Rachet Wrench

-Craftsman 1.5 ton Aluminum Jack (this jack is awsome It gets the car up in 2 pumps)

-Craftsman Wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, pliers ect...

- Craftsman 19.2 drill
-Craftsman Circular saw w/ lasor
-Craftsman Jigsaw w/ Lasor
-Craftsman Electric Sander

I know I have more but this is taking to long to post.

My next purchase is going to be a Craftsman Orbital Air Sander and a Battery charger.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DJ2000
What i always buy is Craftsman I have been buying tools for the past couple of years and getting them for gifts from my wife for christmas. I love to shop at Sears. Here are a few things that I have.

-Craftsman 1.5 ton Aluminum Jack (this jack is awsome It gets the car up in 2 pumps)

-Craftsman Wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, pliers ect...

I know I have more but this is taking to long to post.

My next purchase is going to be a Craftsman Orbital Air Sander and a Battery charger.
DJ2000 - Will that jack get under a lowerd car though? I think it says the lowest setting is 5 3/4" and i think my frame is slightly lower than that.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Senior Moderator

You can get the 3 1/2 ton low profile, high lift jack from Costco with wide saddle and wheels. It slides under my lowered cars without any problems.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I find a magnetic part tray very handy. Keeps ya from losing screws, bolts, etc.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:08 PM

i use matco and mac tools with a few craftsmans, from my earlier years.

I like using my "door and uphosltry" clip removing tool set from matco
My magnetic 1/4 and 3/8 socket set from mac
ratcheting open/closed end wrench set from matco
"long" open/closed end wrench set from matco
28" (i think) 1/2 breaker bar/wrench (lug loosening)
1/2 drive ingersol/rand titanium quiet air gun and 3/8 ingersoll/rand air gun
Just a few samples of what I have that I use on the regular

the crafstmans are good to, especially when they break free replacements, but the Matco and Mac and especially Snap-On are so comfortable to use. Night and day to me

My advice would be take your time, and just have fun with whatever the project may be, never get frustrated and try to "force things" if you love your car you'll baby it.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jwood_04TSX
DJ2000 - Will that jack get under a lowerd car though? I think it says the lowest setting is 5 3/4" and i think my frame is slightly lower than that.
It goes under my Lowered Accord enough to get to the Jack point. But its not like you can slide it way under the car.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:11 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

so ya'll know, Sears is running some 50% off sale starting tomorrow.

5-pc Wrench Set, Offset Ratchet sae/metric will be $20.
2-1/4 ton Floor Jack with 2-1/4 ton Jack Stands will be $27.

there's also some laser marked sockets, toolbox, and worklights for $10.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:50 AM
Racer

one of the best purchases I ever made was an extra long needle nose plier. because I'm the person that whenever I drop a bolt, screw, or whatever, it always ends up in a place that is impossible for you to get your hands into.