XM to Sirius Switch in 05?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 09:50 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM to Sirius Switch in 05?

is it possible to switch from XM to Sirius in the 05's ....Without an extra headunit or Sirius controller? I'm not only a shareholder of Sirius but a big fan of their broadcasting lineup. .
Old 02-07-2005, 09:52 AM
Luke 1:37

I doubt it since its only setup for XM and not Sirius. I would think you would need to purchase the entire Sirius assembly.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:37 AM
Instructor

There might be a possible merger in the future between XM & Sirius.. so it might all be the same later on.. I'm going for sirius because of the h stern show.. but i rather not mod my car for it.. This was on CNBC
Old 02-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ForceSHO
There might be a possible merger in the future between XM & Sirius.. so it might all be the same later on.. I'm going for sirius because of the h stern show.. but i rather not mod my car for it.. This was on CNBC
actually that was all hype. Mel Kamazin the CEO of Sirius, denied any talks of a merger btwn. the 2 companies...
Old 02-07-2005, 12:27 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I heard there is an adapter in the works that will allow you to convert from XM to Sirius and Vice versa. I'm not sure how far they have gotten with this, but it is suppose to be release at some time this year I believe.

If you were to switch to Sirius I don't think you would still be able to control the Sirius through the OEM controls. Going to an external unit would probably be the only way to go.

Why do you want to switch to Sirius?
Is it that much better?
Old 02-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tsx536
I heard there is an adapter in the works that will allow you to convert from XM to Sirius and Vice versa. I'm not sure how far they have gotten with this, but it is suppose to be release at some time this year I believe.

If you were to switch to Sirius I don't think you would still be able to control the Sirius through the OEM controls. Going to an external unit would probably be the only way to go.

Why do you want to switch to Sirius?
Is it that much better?
Yes I can't stand XM , it's like listening to TRL on the radio....they replay the same songs over and over again....Sirius plays songs u wouldn't hear on normal radio, plus it's marketed towards younger listeners....
Old 02-07-2005, 02:02 PM
Stardog Champion

Originally Posted by ComptechTSX
Yes I can't stand XM , it's like listening to TRL on the radio....they replay the same songs over and over again....Sirius plays songs u wouldn't hear on normal radio, plus it's marketed towards younger listeners....
Interesting- XM subscribers usually have the same complaints about Sirius. I have several friends with Sirius, and as far as I can tell it's about the same programming. I listen to XM all the time (I have 4 subscriptions, one for each car and one in my home) and they play XM at the gym where I work out and I don't hear the same songs over and over again.

Aftermarket radios are now designed to work with either company- you just buy a different tuner. As long as the XM receiver is external to the OEM TSX radio I don't see any reason why an aftermarket Sirius receiver could not be made to work- for example you can buy an adapter to use an XM tuner with your BMW or Mini radio which was originally designed for Sirius.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Karl O.
Interesting- XM subscribers usually have the same complaints about Sirius. I have several friends with Sirius, and as far as I can tell it's about the same programming. I listen to XM all the time (I have 4 subscriptions, one for each car and one in my home) and they play XM at the gym where I work out and I don't hear the same songs over and over again.

Aftermarket radios are now designed to work with either company- you just buy a different tuner. As long as the XM receiver is external to the OEM TSX radio I don't see any reason why an aftermarket Sirius receiver could not be made to work- for example you can buy an adapter to use an XM tuner with your BMW or Mini radio which was originally designed for Sirius.
well I will give XM another chance....But maybe i'm a little biased since i have stock in Sirius. Ohwell...Thanks for all the help.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:53 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by Karl O.
In the 2005 TSX I believe that the XM is intergrated into the radio. You control all of the functionality of the XM controller through the OEM deck. If he were to switch to Sirius, I don't think he would be able to control the Sirius using the controls on his OEM deck.

He can definitely buy an external Sirius tuner and hook it up, but he would have to use the controls on the Sirius Tuner itself to control everything and feed the sound in through the AUX input of the deck.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

well I will give XM another chance....But maybe i'm a little biased since i have stock in Sirius. Ohwell...Thanks for all the help.
I have a Pioneer deck and I've been talking to people about which is better. I'm about to get the Pioneer SIR-PNR1 tuner to hook up through my deck. Everyone that I talk to think that Sirius is better for rap fans and younger people. So everything I've heard agrees with what you have heard too. Sirius supposedly plays more raw and unedited stuff.

Don't get me wrong though, I've heard very good things about XM too. My friend who has factory XM in his accord took advantage of the $50 for 1 year deal Xm gave to all people who got factory XM. You just can't beat that.

The NFL and NBA packages is what helped make my final decision to go with Sirius though. My tuner will be here on Friday. Can't wait!
Old 02-08-2005, 06:35 AM
Instructor

actually that was all hype. Mel Kamazin the CEO of Sirius, denied any talks of a merger btwn. the 2 companies...

darn.. i guess ill be getting my portable unit.. but you know.. if one does well and the other does bad.. they're usually targer for aquisition
Old 02-09-2005, 07:39 AM
Instructor

just got a response from Sirius and here is their reply....

We regret to inform you
that it is not possible to re-engineer an XM system to receive SIRIUS.

However, we recently announced a new signal translation device at the
National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) Convention & Exposition
in Las Vegas, that enables owners of satellite-ready radios in General
Motors and Honda vehicles to receive SIRIUS.

You can receive SIRIUS with the appropriate SoundGate interface, SIRIUS
tuner and antenna. For further information we recommend that you
contact General Motors or SoundGate. SoundGate can be contacted at:

307-674-4707

Or via email at:

sgtech@SoundGate.com
Old 02-09-2005, 05:12 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Yeah I remember hearing something like this was in the works, but I don't think they have a release date yet.

It the 2nd part it sounds like they are talking about getting a SNHOND3 made by soundgate and hooking an external Sirius tuner to it. This won't give you the fully integrated OEM solution you're looking for. This is what people here have already been doing.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:30 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't like the program on XM that much. They play the same song over and over. Not not saying Sirius doens't do either it but they usually play the one I like hearing. I'm a Sirius listener for a year and half now on my old Protege5 and I love their dance station. And you can't beat every Sunday and Monday night football. Once my 3 months is done, i'm switching back to Sirius.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Racer

I love XM. MLB on the radio for all 30 teams is gonna be sick
Old 02-25-2005, 07:21 PM
TSXREEFER

Each to his own

We have had Sirius at home via our stereo system for 14 months and love it. I have XM in my TSX and love it. If we had to vote my wife would probably pick Sirius and I would probably pick XM, but either one of us would prefer either XM or Sirius over FM radio BY FAR! As far as repetition goes, both are guilty. XM does yak too much between songs on many streams. In the car it is easy to change streams when the yakking starts, but at home more difficult so the yakking on XM would be more of an irritation to me.

IMHO, It is really a tuff call on which is the best.
Each has it's strengths. SAID BY A MAN THAT HAS BOTH
Old 03-01-2005, 08:21 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you think the roof mounted XM antenna is able to hook up to a Sirius tuner? I have an 05 in case your wondering.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Intermediate

What channels do you guys listen to? I listen to Squizz, Boneyard, and Fred consistently and hardly hear the same tracks spun again. Sometimes the same artist might appear, but it's always a different track. It's not like there's a hundred other channels to try out if something is repeating anyway. If you keep it on a top 40 station, of course they'll be repeating as the top 40 is really the top 15 and that is equivalent to FM radio and ClearChannel!
Old 03-02-2005, 06:17 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

I just intalled the Sirius in my car and I'm really liking it. It's nice to hear some uncensored programming. I'm a big rap fan and they play a lot of good hip hop that i would never hear from the radio stations around me.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tsx536
I just intalled the Sirius in my car and I'm really liking it. It's nice to hear some uncensored programming. I'm a big rap fan and they play a lot of good hip hop that i would never hear from the radio stations around me.

Are u both driving 04's......or 05's?