Wishlist for the 2007 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Booya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Wishlist for the 2007 TSX

I was wondering if Acura is actually paying attention to forums like these. If yes, then I have wishlist for what I would like to see in the 2007 TSX. The upgrades that we would like too see should be reasonable and sensible enough to keep the character of the TSX unchanged and also financially viable and competitive in the current market segment where it stands. Here's my wishlist;

- Atleast 30 ft-lbs torque & 30 HP boost
- Midrange control in audio system EQ
- Audio system personalization with memory
- Intgrated Voice ID control for iPod with tag display
- USB 2.0 interface to audio system
- Integrated MP3 with ID tagging support in audio system
- Sub-woofer
- 18-inch wheels with performance tires
- 1-touch up-down windows on all 4 windows
- 1-touch turnlight blinkers
- Autolocking of doors at 10mph/preset speed limit
- Fully heated and 8-way power passenger seat
Old 01-06-2006, 02:51 PM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

do you think it's possible to get 235hp out of a naturally aspirated 4 banger engine? I mean I'm impressed they got 205.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by dipkat

- Atleast 30 ft-lbs torque & 30 HP boost
- Midrange control in audio system EQ
- Audio system personalization with memory
- Intgrated Voice ID control for iPod with tag display
- USB 2.0 interface to audio system
- Integrated MP3 with ID tagging support in audio system
- Sub-woofer
- 18-inch wheels with performance tires
- 1-touch up-down windows on all 4 windows
- 1-touch turnlight blinkers
- Autolocking of doors at 10mph/preset speed limit
- Fully heated and 8-way power passenger seat
Ok, I'll play. since it is likely the car will be all new for 2008(ish), I doubt there will be any changes for 2007. However, if this was a "younger car"....

- More power, always good, but we'd need to turbo to do this
- No Acura systems have midrange control (the RL has an EQ) so unless they go with that system, I'd have to say its unlikely.
- Why do iPod standard, if they can sell it as an option?
- USB, ID tags, and sub.... all nice, if the RDX gets this, look for it in the next TSX
- 18 wheels, maybe, but most likely still an option... look at the RL.
- Auto up windows, nope, gotta have something extra for the upper cars.
- I don't think any acuras have one touch blinkers? What are they? Don't they already do this?
- Good chance for autolocking doors (thought personally I hate this...)
- No chance of a fully heated passenger seat. (OPDS), 8 way seats doubtful.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cusetsx
do you think it's possible to get 235hp out of a naturally aspirated 4 banger engine? I mean I'm impressed they got 205.
Especially when 205 is really like 215 under the old SAE method. So really we're talking about 245hp which is more than the S2000. Not realistic, especially without forced induction.

I could care less about the other items though. The TSX is getting too expensive as it is.

I'd still like to see a factory 2800lb TSX with only the bare necessities.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:06 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Especially when 205 is really like 215 under the old SAE method. So really we're talking about 245hp which is more than the S2000. Not realistic, especially without forced induction.

I could care less about the other items though. The TSX is getting too expensive as it is.

I'd like to see future improvements aimed at performance/handling. More interior appointments = more weight. That's one thing the TSX doesn't need more of
Old 01-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Booya

I understand that it would be difficult to get more HP and torque from this NA engine. I think the others should not be too difficult to upgrade.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:10 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by waTSX
I'd like to see future improvements aimed at performance/handling. More interior appointments = more weight. That's one thing the TSX doesn't need more of
Oh, yeah. PLEASE let us have the option of higher performance tires from the factory. That alone would raise the bar for handling.

The PS Exaltos available for the Civic Si would be perfect. They're getting great write-ups.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Booya

Originally Posted by waTSX
To get more performance out of the TSX you would need a lot more than performance tires. In the meanwhile, why not have more goodies to play with ? I dont think any of the other features really add weight that would be significant. I want a car that allows me to play with on the inside too.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:18 PM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

So what you're saying is you want if you can't have
Old 01-06-2006, 03:24 PM
Suzuka Master

I understand that it would be difficult to get more HP and torque from this NA engine. I think the others should not be too difficult to upgrade.
Of course its not hard, especially if the technology already exists. The question is economic feasability and model positioning. They will not spend that kind of money for one year's production. In order to turn a profit on the car, you have to produce X number of vehicles exactly the same so recoupe the costs of changing the production line. This is why the most common change is wheels and bumpers.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
one touch moonroof doesn't add weight. Only other thing is the RDX powerplant as an option. Honda is already giving you lots of options at well below the price of most companies.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Got Ramen?

those changes are not gonna happen altho i can see the autolock feature as a possibility.

the next TSX is in 07 as an 08 model so it wouldnt be in acura's best interest to update the 07. besides, the 06 one IS the refreshed model year.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Booya

Originally Posted by Colin
Ok, I'll play. since it is likely the car will be all new for 2008(ish), I doubt there will be any changes for 2007. However, if this was a "younger car"....

- More power, always good, but we'd need to turbo to do this
I read some rumors on the RDX forum that Acura is working on a 2.3L 4-cyl Turbo for the RDX. That would be the perfect engine for the TSX.

- No Acura systems have midrange control (the RL has an EQ) so unless they go with that system, I'd have to say its unlikely.
I think that missing out on the midrange is simply put, a boo-boo.

- Why do iPod standard, if they can sell it as an option?
iPod is a cultural phenomenon. The sooner all car manufacturer's get it, the better it is for their bottom-line/image. If they can shove XM down your throat, then why not iPod. Heck I will take iPod integration over XM Radio any day and my money would be well spent

- USB, ID tags, and sub.... all nice, if the RDX gets this, look for it in the next TSX
- 18 wheels, maybe, but most likely still an option... look at the RL.
Baby .. I would love these even if they could be added as an option

- Auto up windows, nope, gotta have something extra for the upper cars.
Its time, the upper cars need to go further-up onto something else. 1-touch up-down is common place and not really premium anymore.

- I don't think any acuras have one touch blinkers? What are they? Don't they already do this?
Its found in all VW models. You simply tap the stalk for the lane-change/turn-indicator once and it blinks it for 3-4 times. VW calls it the Autobahn lane change feature. Its very cool though.

- Good chance for autolocking doors (thought personally I hate this...)
- No chance of a fully heated passenger seat. (OPDS), 8 way seats doubtful
Again, this is common place and not a premium feature in most of the newer models.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:42 PM
Booya

Of course its not hard, especially if the technology already exists. The question is economic feasability and model positioning. They will not spend that kind of money for one year's production. In order to turn a profit on the car, you have to produce X number of vehicles exactly the same so recoupe the costs of changing the production line. This is why the most common change is wheels and bumpers.
With the 06 TSX, they did bring down the bluetooth from the TL and the intelligent maintenance minder from the RL if I am not mistaken. I dont see why they cannot add a little more in a year from now.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Booya

So what you're saying is you want if you can't have
Absolutely, for those of us who do not drive the 6MT the is the way to go. Its the thing.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Photography Nerd

My ideal TSX:
200+ hp K24
Light 17x8 alloys with summer rubber
Sport suspension
ABS (maybe some brembos)
VSA
A/C
power locks
power windows
cd player
HID's

That's it.

I don't need a sunroof, crazy sound system, leather, power seats, "mood lighting", DBW, dual zone climate control, or 200lbs of sound damping material crammed into every nook and cranny. I just want a nice tossable everyday car that's not too big yet still able to fit an adult in the back seat.

Remove the power seats, sunroof, and half the damping material and I'm sure they're already sub-3000lbs. Throw in an aluminum hood and trunk (like the Miata) and 2800lbs shouldn't be that unobtainable.

Cars are getting more bloated than software these days. I miss the lightweight cars of yesteryear.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:49 PM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

Its found in all VW models. You simply tap the stalk for the lane-change/turn-indicator once and it blinks it for 3-4 times. VW calls it the Autobahn lane change feature. Its very cool though.
So instead of applying down/up force to the stalk (without engaging the continous position) for enough time for the signal to blink 3-4 times (maybe 3 seconds) the VW engineers made it so you only have to tap it. Neat idea, but it doesn't scream luxury to me... more of a "oh neat" thing. Though I'm sure there was some idea behind less time for the driver to have his/her hand somewhat away from the wheel (as it can be done with my pinky).

Do all sports cars have this? Like Porsche/Ferrari etc? I mean I can see the need for it on the autobahn if you are flying.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:56 PM
Got Ramen?

With the 06 TSX, they did bring down the bluetooth from the TL and the intelligent maintenance minder from the RL if I am not mistaken. I dont see why they cannot add a little more in a year from now.
cuz honda doesn't wanna cannabalize sales of the TL and increase the TSX price closer to $30,000. the 06 got the refresh, so it won't get updated anymore for the next year. the typical model run for honda (and most makes) is this:

first 3 years of current gen model: very little change with minor updates
4th year: Refreshing - changes to front and rear fascia and updated interior and features
5th year: no change
6th year (reset to 1st): new model year roll out (next gen)

it's nice already that the bluetooth feature is now standard. i wasn't expecting something like to be available for the TSX for 06. u can't have everything. that's y there's the TL and RL with more features. and i'm betting they're saving some of the features we would like to have (turbocharged I4; AWD; etc etc) for the 2nd gen TSX in MY08.

btw, those one touch blinkers are freaking annoying (BMW anyone?) and the reason acura most likely will never have it is simply cuz it's a german thing. even Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson find this feature stupid cuz if you accidently hit the stalk, it blinks...and then u intuitively want to turn it off by moving the stalk back to it's neutral position only to find now that it's blinking the other side...
Old 01-06-2006, 03:56 PM
Have camera, will travel

To get more performance out of the TSX you would need a lot more than performance tires. In the meanwhile, why not have more goodies to play with ? I dont think any of the other features really add weight that would be significant. I want a car that allows me to play with on the inside too.
Well, you started a thread asking for opinions, and I gave mine. I'm certainly not suggesting tires are the end all be all of performance upgrades for the TSX, but for a car with sporting intentions they should at least be offered.

If you keep adding things here and there over time, the cumulative weight gain will be substantial. Look at the ever increasing curb weights of cars over the last twenty years. Every gen is a little bit heavier than the last.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:57 PM
Booya

My ideal TSX:
200+ hp K24
Light 17x8 alloys with summer rubber
Sport suspension
ABS (maybe some brembos)
VSA
A/C
power locks
power windows
cd player
HID's

That's it.

I don't need a sunroof, crazy sound system, leather, power seats, "mood lighting", DBW, dual zone climate control, or 200lbs of sound damping material crammed into every nook and cranny. I just want a nice tossable everyday car that's not too big yet still able to fit an adult in the back seat.

Remove the power seats, sunroof, and half the damping material and I'm sure they're already sub-3000lbs. Throw in an aluminum hood and trunk (like the Miata) and 2800lbs shouldn't be that unobtainable.

Cars are getting more bloated than software these days. I miss the lightweight cars of yesteryear.
Then why pay the extra for the Acura badge, if luxury is not the primary requirement !? A better Accord V6 should suffice and you will also get a slightly roomier car and cheaper service.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:58 PM
Suzuka Master

iPod is a cultural phenomenon. The sooner all car manufacturer's get it, the better it is for their bottom-line/image.

Again, this is common place and not a premium feature in most of the newer models.
-It's better for their bottom line to sell it as an accessory

- Sounds like a cool feature, but I just hold the blinker stalk half way down. To do it the VW way, I'd imagine you'll need a microprocessor. I guess it's not something on Honda's radar

- Acura safety technology has sensors (OPDS) under the leather. This is the reason the seat backs are not heated. This won't change.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Suzuka Master

I already answered this, you can't keep changing the car or you can't make money. Even the smallest changes are hugely expensive on a mass produced vehicle.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Photography Nerd

Then why pay the extra for the Acura badge, if luxury is not the primary requirement !? A better Accord V6 should suffice and you will also get a slightly roomier car and cheaper service.
I could care less if it had an "A" on the front grille. If the TSX was brought over here as a Honda I would have bought it too. I never thought of Acura to be a luxury brand either. NSX and RSX aren't exactly luxurious in my books. Sure the TL and RL are nice, but there's nothing wrong with being sporty.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:03 PM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

Originally Posted by TypeRS
even Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson find this feature stupid cuz if you accidently hit the stalk, it blinks...and then u intuitively want to turn it off by moving the stalk back to it's neutral position only to find now that it's blinking the other side...
Top Gear and Jeremy Clarkson's reviews
Old 01-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Booya

So instead of applying down/up force to the stalk (without engaging the continous position) for enough time for the signal to blink 3-4 times (maybe 3 seconds) the VW engineers made it so you only have to tap it. Neat idea, but it doesn't scream luxury to me... more of a "oh neat" thing. Though I'm sure there was some idea behind less time for the driver to have his/her hand somewhat away from the wheel (as it can be done with my pinky).

Do all sports cars have this? Like Porsche/Ferrari etc? I mean I can see the need for it on the autobahn if you are flying.
You are right. The need arose pretty much because the cars are flying on the Autobahn and you need quick driving reflexes during lane changes. I think it is cool though. I would rather prefer a feature like this than being able to skip to the next song on the CD using the Voice ID system. These are little things that improve the overall driving experience. Just my
Old 01-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Suzuka Master

I could care less if it had an "A" on the front grille. If the TSX was brought over here as a Honda I would have bought it too. I never thought of Acura to be a luxury brand either. NSX and RSX aren't exactly luxurious in my books. Sure the TL and RL are nice, but there's nothing wrong with being sporty.
Ha Ha very true! I am, however, slightly "miffed" that my Acura SSX became the Honda S2000 and deprived me of a year of warranty....
Old 01-06-2006, 04:07 PM
Got Ramen?

ya know, Dip Kat, there's a nice Audi A8 W12 that has all the features you could ever want...for a cool $110,000
Old 01-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Have camera, will travel

- Sounds like a cool feature, but I just hold the blinker stalk half way down. To do it the VW way, I'd imagine you'll need a microprocessor. I guess it's not something on Honda's radar

- Acura safety technology has sensors (OPDS) under the leather. This is the reason the seat backs are not heated. This won't change.
Honda/Acura switchgear is about as good as it gets. No need to overcomplicate an already effective system.

BMW's funky new turn signal gizmo is a prime example of over-engineering. You shouldn't have to think about the correct sequence to perform a basic function.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:09 PM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

Why not just a voice command, "Turn Left" and "Turn Right". Furthermore dipkat, how fricken fast are YOU driving that you "need" something like this in New Jersey?
Old 01-06-2006, 04:10 PM
Booya

The stalk is loaded with a spring that returns back immediately to its normal position if not pushed down to the hold position. Simple mechanical operation with microprocessor assist for 3-4 turn-indicator blinks.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:14 PM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

Don't get me wrong dipkat, but if Honda copied everything VW did don't you think that would be a little unoriginal?... Furthermore, don't you think Honda would get flamed for copying something that evidently is VW designed?
Old 01-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Booya

Originally Posted by TypeRS
ya know, Dip Kat, there's a nice Audi A8 W12 that has all the features you could ever want...for a cool $110,000
D-U-H really ? Some of 'dem like a 12-way power driver seat with fully heated with 5 variable setting seats and one-touch blinkers, with Heated windsheild wiper nozzles and HID wipers are available on a $25000 VW Jetta
Old 01-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Booya

Don't get me wrong dipkat, but if Honda copied everything VW did don't you think that would be a little unoriginal?... Furthermore, don't you think Honda would get flamed for copying something that evidently is VW designed?
So, if the TSX came up with a turbocharged 4 banger for a TSX, would it be called as copying the VW? I dont think so. Improving should not be seen as copying.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Why not just a voice command, "Turn Left" and "Turn Right". Furthermore dipkat, how fricken fast are YOU driving that you "need" something like this in New Jersey?
Dip kat's not sure what he wants, on one hand he wants big (or bigger) hp and performance tires on 18" wheels. On the other he wants microprocessor controlled turn signals, 8 way seats. subwoofers and other convenience features. Why not just get an RL and let the TSX do what it is already doing well?
Old 01-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Got Ramen?

Like i said, this blinker system is a german thing (BMW, VW...) so you'll most likely never see it in a japanese car. besides, it's more of an annoyance... like we have a autobahn here anyway

case in point: i personally like the headlight turnknow switches found in audis, vws and bmws but ull never see them in domestics and japanese makes...
Old 01-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Have camera, will travel

So, if the TSX came up with a turbocharged 4 banger for a TSX, would it be called as copying the VW? I dont think so.
No, because VW didn't invent forced induction.
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

So, if the TSX came up with a turbocharged 4 banger for a TSX, would it be called as copying the VW? I dont think so. Improving should not be seen as copying.
I was more referring to your turn signal gadget more than anything.
Booya

I have used it on my sister's Jetta and it is very cool. Also I think the real value add is for the 6MT more than for the 5A
Old 01-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Got Ramen?

I have used it on my sister's Jetta and it is very cool. Also I think the real value add is for the 6MT more than for the 5A
very cool doesnt mean very practical. turn signal stalks work just fine the way they were designed to function
Old 01-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Turbocharging is not exactly proprietary technology. Is it only VW/Audi and BMW that have this "feature?" Maybe its patented or something similar? Maybe Bosch develops it and they have an exclusive agreement with only these two companies?

Quick Reply: Wishlist for the 2007 TSX