Wire Grill Mesh Installation and My Front License Plate Solution

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wire Grill Mesh Installation and My Front License Plate Solution

This weekend I had the wire mesh front grill installed on my 2006 TSX. I purchased the grill from Figure Engineering, LLC who happen to be located nearby in Manassas, VA. They make custom wire mesh grills for various cars and do custom powder coating for various engine parts and accessories.

Figure Engineering, LLC

I chose black glossy powder coat finish for my grill and it turned out looking great. The wire mesh grill for the center is installed in front of the existing grill by drilling small 1/8 in holes into the front bumper and secured using plastic zip ties. The side grills are installed by first removing the factory grill cover and then drilling small 1/8 in holes into the existing plastic tabs in the bumper and again securing with plastic zip ties. Once installed, the black plastic zip ties are invisible hidden behind the metal grill.

While getting the wire mesh grill installed, I used this opportunity to come up with a way to install front license plate. Although the factory mount is better than most, I did not like interrupting the flow of the front bumper with a license plate. What I ended up doing was putting a small 1/4 in bend along the top and bottom of the license plate and then installing the plate in front of the central wire mesh grill. The plate is secured to the wire mesh with 4 plastic zip ties. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

Last edited by xradman; 08-08-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Looks great, though I'm curious if such a large decrease in air flow to the radiator (on a percentage basis) will have any effect on cooling. Air flow amounts for cooling purposes are figured pretty closely on modern cars with little extra in reserve since mileage can decrease respectively with air flow opening size.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:37 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Looks good but please do something else with the tag Needs a little offset IMO.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:43 PM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by AMUA6
Looks good but please do something else with the tag Needs a little offset IMO.
Or do what many of us in two plate states do..... live dangerously and just go without.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Simba91102
Looks great, though I'm curious if such a large decrease in air flow to the radiator (on a percentage basis) will have any effect on cooling. Air flow amounts for cooling purposes are figured pretty closely on modern cars with little extra in reserve since mileage can decrease respectively with air flow opening size.
I don't think it's a problem. The plate is not flush against the radiator and there is plenty of opening for air to get around the plate.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:10 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Good job!
Old 08-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by xradman
I don't think it's a problem. The plate is not flush against the radiator and there is plenty of opening for air to get around the plate.
I don't want to beat this to death, but I don't think you understand what I was saying. Generally speaking, any opening in the front of a car basically decreases gas mileage. That's why they design the front end of the car with just enough air flow to provide optimum cooling with little in reserve. You've blocked I'd say at least 1/3 of the opening (in air flow, it has nothing to do with the plate being on or even near the radiator), so I was curious if you'll notice an increase in operating temperature.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Simba91102
I don't want to beat this to death, but I don't think you understand what I was saying. Generally speaking, any opening in the front of a car basically decreases gas mileage. That's why they design the front end of the car with just enough air flow to provide optimum cooling with little in reserve. You've blocked I'd say at least 1/3 of the opening (in air flow, it has nothing to do with the plate being on or even near the radiator), so I was curious if you'll notice an increase in operating temperature.
Oh but I do. It does make a difference where the impediment to airflow is. There is enough air flow around the plate as to not really effect any cooling to the radiator (BTW, it's more like 1/5 of the opening as top grill is also open to the radiator). There is no difference in operating temperature at rest or in motion. These cars are not Formula one machines. They have to operate at wide variation of temperature from the north of Alaska to the heat of Death Valley. They have plenty of reserve in terms of cooling capacity, otherwise you'll see overheated cars everywhere.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:46 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great, I need it primarily for the protection of the radiator. I noticed a lot of dings in the rad already, fortunately no holes yet.

Where can I buy one from, was it fitted with the bumper off the car? Would be nice to get a matching one for the nose panel also, for protection purposes that is.

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by limeybstrd
Looks great, I need it primarily for the protection of the radiator. I noticed a lot of dings in the rad already, fortunately no holes yet.

Where can I buy one from, was it fitted with the bumper off the car? Would be nice to get a matching one for the nose panel also, for protection purposes that is.

Thanks.
See my OP. Figure Engineering LLC.