Window visors/moonroof visor = useless?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 11:37 PM
ySL
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window visors/moonroof visor = useless?

whats up everyone....1st post, longtime visitor, soon to be owner....

I noticed that almost none of you have window visors or a moonroof visor on your TSX and I was wondering about your opinions on those.

Personally, I don't like how the moonroof visor completely takes over the moonroof, but I did however like the window ones and think that they look pretty good.

Also, what is your opinion on splash guards? I got them with the window visors for added looks even though they are kind of unnecessary, but would i be better off using up my freebies on more useful options like floor mats, trunk tray and wheel locks?

btw, my TSX will be black/black, arriving in a week, leaving me with at least some time to decide on what accessories to add on.

Thanx for the help.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:47 PM
Possessed with my Schemes

I don't care too much for the look of the visors. I think cars look stupid with too many bolted on things. My TSX came with the splash guards, and I'm OK with those. They are pretty subtle. Someone who doesn't know much about the TSX probably wouldn't even know they are add-ons (by the dealership). The also added the trunk liner thing and all season floor mats. I guess that's what you get when you pay MSRP.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:05 AM
More On

Re: Window visors/moonroof visor = useless?

Originally posted by ySL
.....I noticed that almost none of you have window visors or a moonroof visor on your TSX and I was wondering about your opinions on those. Personally, I don't like how the moonroof visor completely takes over the moonroof, but I did however like the window ones and think that they look pretty good.....
You know, I know English pretty well, but I don't know "car" very well -- so I really don't know what anything means. I'm not sure what you mean by "visors" -- not your fault, of course, and I know that y'all who are reading this are

.....but I'm gonna go on anyway as though nothing happened.

As I was saying I don't know for sure what you mean by "visors," but I think I have them, so I guess that makes me an expert on them. Not bad for a moron.

Are the window visors those things you can get that sort of hang over the tops of the front doors? The dealer told me those would keep rain from dripping on me when i stick my arm out the window etc. (this being one of my hobbies), and it sort of works for that.

And, is the moonroof visor that plastic-like thing you can have them put over the front portion of the moonroof? The dealer told me that would cut out most of the wind noise when you have the top open -- and it DEFINITELY works for that, big-time.

If those AREN'T "visors" -- never mind!
Old 07-09-2003, 12:17 AM
Possessed with my Schemes

Damn you larchmont! Now you got me wondering . That's what I thought the visors meant. I must admit that before I actually read the thread I thought it was going to be about the inside sun visors.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:32 AM
Racer

I have the moonroof visor on my tsx. The only reason I have kept it on is that is works. I've pretty much lost my "tilt" fuction though. It makes way too much noise when it's tilted.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:10 AM
More On

Originally posted by Ozzman
.....I must admit that before I actually read the thread I thought it was going to be about the inside sun visors.
Me2 -- and I didn't know that "visors" meant anything except things that shield the sun.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:03 PM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by larchmont
Me2 -- and I didn't know that "visors" meant anything except things that shield the sun.
I had a moonroof visor on my 1991 Honda Prelude. Without the visor when I slide back my moon roof while driving fast like on a freeway the noise from the air rushing in was very loud. With the moonroof visor the noise was cut down quite a bit since it directed airflow over the roof opening. My Prelude's moonroof didn't have the tilt feature.

I haven't gotten one for my TSX yet. I am debating whether or not to get one. I don't like the look of it on the car. You would probably have to remove it when you washed the car etc... I dunno.

I definately won't get the door visors for the same reasons.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Does the TSX moonroof slide within the roof of the car or does it go out? In my Integra, the moon roof slides out and within 2 weeks of owning it, a rock hit while i was on the highway... heard a load noise but didn't see any damage until a week later I look up and see a crack that ran the length of the window... was invisible from certain angles and it didn't leak... anyway a visor would have prevented that... but I hate the look so I never got it.

The lesson though is to not drive with the moonroof up while on the highway... lower speeds yes. Replacement moonroof is mucho dinero.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:39 AM
No Longer a Poseur

According to the Acura.ca configurator, they're Door Visors and Moonroof Wind Deflectors.

I always thought (and excuse me if I offend any smokers) that door visors were so you can flick your cigarette butts out the window while it's raining and not extinguish your cig? I dunno.

I *do* know that I don't like the looks of them at all! The side profile of the car is so clean, that adding cheap looking plastic, smoked things to the windows ruins the overall look of the side.
Old 07-11-2003, 04:28 AM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The moonroof slides back within the roof of the car when fully opened. The other mode though the rear of the moon roofit tilts up and sticks up a bit.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
If anyone is interested I have an OEM moonroof deflector for sale - used less than 1 day.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:37 AM
Pro

expect to do some cleaning work if you live area where lots snow in winter, snow stuck in the Moonroof Wind Deflector and you will know it when you open the roof!!!....:P
Old 07-11-2003, 07:39 AM
More On

Originally posted by gogozy
expect to do some cleaning work if you live area where lots snow in winter, snow stuck in the Moonroof Wind Deflector and you will know it when you open the roof!!!....:P
It also traps stuff like bird doo and pollen.

But still worth it.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:29 AM
Nuke

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I am not considering any deflectors. Too many things to clean and I prefer the cleaner looks. I keep my windows closed when it rains anyway and generally don't use the sunroof on the highway.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:48 AM
Cruisin'

I have no need for either type of visor because I like the clean look as well.

On the older civics and integras however, they were great because I don't think honda fitted the sunroofs with wind deflectors (I could be wrong). At speed, the wind noise was unbearable. My brothers 91 integra suct with this.

Alternatively, look at the sunroof that you have today.....when you open it, a small wind deflector pops up and it's slightly functional. (reduces the wind noise.) For quality assurance testing, reach your hand up and push it down when on the highway and you'll hear the difference. In any event, by adding the visor you will definitely reduce wind noise further. Not enough in my opinion to compromise the look of the vehicle..not to mention anty up the money for one. I had on my 99 Civic Si and that was the only thing the theifs left on the vehicle. Apparently it's not "cool" anymore.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:50 AM
Cruisin'

One more thing............the visor on my Civic was great when the sun was at that crappy angle in the sky where if I didn't have the visor I would be absolutely blinded. (probably would have shut the sunroof otherwise.)
Old 07-11-2003, 12:13 PM
Über Geek

I don't like how the window visors look either.

An old girlfriend had them on an Accord and had a neat trick: On hot days (most, here in FL) she'd crack the windows about a half inch. It kept the interior cool and the visors kept out rain and thieves' fingers.

Still too ugly, though.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont know about the tsx but I have the moonroof vison on my CLS it scratches the crap out of the paint....
Old 07-11-2003, 01:18 PM
Burning Brakes

I've owned two Accord coupes, and both had the moonroof deflector/shade/whatschaycallit. The do NOT totally cover the moonroof--only about 3 inch overhang on my two coupes. I've liked them and their functionality in reducing wind noise, but the cars' styling would look a bit cleaner without them. The deflector/shade/whatschaycallits do have signs of rocks or something impacting them, but no cracks or breakage. I don't think that they make the cars look ugly.

I never had the door visors. Style-wise, they look very "add-on" to me and don't appeal to me.

So far as accessories for my on-order TSX, I'm adding the trunk liner, floor mats, and splash guards. I'm undecided about adding the moonroof deflector/shade/whatschaycallit, foglights, cargo net, and door edge guards.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:41 PM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

I put one on my 1988 Prelude (like GeorgeTSX). It wasn't the highest quality, and the weatherstripping sometimes flapped around in a car wash. Also, it caught water and other stuff without draining well. On the TSX, I don't think it adds anything to the look.

Also, if I've got my sunroof open, it's because I want a certain amount of wind in. :P

In other words.. I wouldn't even consider putting one on my tsx. I need to get the trunk tray, but that's all as far as accessories go.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:55 AM
Instructor

I like to occasionally look out through the moonroof. The fact that the visor blocks my sightline for a few inches right where I want to look - at the front of the opening - is enough to convince me to stay away from them.

Rolling the back windows down a couple inches will stop any buffeting when the roof is open.