Window tinting questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 01:15 AM
¿ʇı sı ʇɐɥʍ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window tinting questions...

Hi everyone,

I'm new on these forums, just purchased my '04 SSM/Ebony TSX w/ the 5 spoke gunmetal rims about a month ago and have been browsing these forums almost daily since then. But now I have something worthy of asking:

Like i said, my car is SSM/Ebony and im deciding on window tint percentages. I live in PA, and OH, so regardless its going to be illegal. I debating between 20% and 35% all around (minus windshield of course). Do you really notice a difference between the two? I'm not looking to get screwed with the cops, because I've heard a few horror stories about cops making people rip it off on the side of the road here in PA.
My two buddies have 20% on their Audi's and i really like it, but it might be too dark for me.

Also on a side note, does anyone honestly know if metallic tint would affect my 04 navi system?

Any input is much appreciated!
Old 09-02-2007, 01:40 AM
Advanced

20% and 35% is noticable....i would go lighter...less bait when it comes with the cops..
Old 09-02-2007, 01:49 AM
¿ʇı sı ʇɐɥʍ

I just want to go as dark as possible without it being too much. I cant say that im a fan of doing different percentages in the front and the back, either.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:00 AM
Banned

I have a black/black car & have 20 all the way around (besides the windshield, of course) & it's about as dark as I'd like to go from an inside-looking-out perspective, but not quite blacked completely out like limo tint.

It is, however, quite noticeable as far as cops looking at it. I'd go with lighter than 35 if I could.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:04 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
[QUOTE=theanomaly]Hi everyone,

I'm new on these forums, just purchased my '04 SSM/Ebony TSX w/ the 5 spoke gunmetal rims about a month ago and have been browsing these forums almost daily since then. But now I have something worthy of asking:

Like i said, my car is SSM/Ebony and im deciding on window tint percentages. I live in PA, and OH, so regardless its going to be illegal. I debating between 20% and 35% all around (minus windshield of course). Do you really notice a difference between the two? I'm not looking to get screwed with the cops, because I've heard a few horror stories about cops making people rip it off on the side of the road here in PA.
My two buddies have 20% on their Audi's and i really like it, but it might be too dark for me.

Also on a side note, does anyone honestly know if metallic tint would affect my 04 navi system?

Don't quite understand the comment that no matter what you install you'll be illegal. Does that mean any tint is illegal in PA?. If so, you probably don't want to antagonize the "tint police" any more than necessary so I should think you would be wise to go lighter. My installer told me that the possible metallic interference is mainly determined by the film that's used. Your installer should be able to recommend the proper film. Hopefully you will have the tint professionally installed. Assuming that's the case, I have to say that the whole "rip it off on the side of the road" story sounds like an urban myth. Installed properly, window film is very difficult to remove, and if it needs to be done, should be done by a qualified installer.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Advanced

I am also in the PGH area and also have the same color combo as you.

I really wanted to get my windows tinted too, but haven't done it yet for several reasons:

It is illegal to have the front driver/passenger windows tinted at all -- although I've seen plenty of cars in the area thar are tinted. I just wonder how many of them have been ticketed for it (or will be ticketed at some point).

Also, no local tint shops that I know of offer the moleskin to prevent scratching.

Let me know what you decide and where you are gonna have it done.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Boring Teacher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by theanomaly
Hi everyone,

Any input is much appreciated!
I live about 40 miles from Pittsburgh and I have my windows tinted. I have 20% all around. I've never had any problems with the cops. This is my 4th car with tinted windows. My last car had 5% all around and I never had a problem. The key is that in PA, window tint is a secondary offense. What I mean by that is that you cannot be pulled over simply because you have tint. But...if you get pulled over for something else, they can add the tint onto your ticket. Oh, and...they don't make you pull it off on the side of the road!!! LMAO!!! They give you a fix-it ticket meaning that you have 48 hours to take the tint off and take the car to the police station to show them. That's the most hilarous thing I've ever heard!! Your friends can sure tell some funny stories!!
I say...go with what you truely want. Just don't be a jerk on the road and call attention to yourself and you'll be fine!
Old 09-03-2007, 01:41 PM
¿ʇı sı ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by Simba91102
Don't quite understand the comment that no matter what you install you'll be illegal. Does that mean any tint is illegal in PA?
yea any tint in the front is illegal. and your only allowed 70% in the back. its bullshit if you ask me. I'm in cleveland for the school year, and your allowed 50% inthe front and any in the back, so im not too worried about the cops here. Im just going for the best look. Ill probably end up getting 20% at a shop up here. now i just need to find a reputable shop up here
Old 09-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have mine in 35% and I like it.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
I also have 35 all around (except windshield of course - legal limit in WA) and I do like it. Also it does not interfere with night driving (which I do a lot of, and would like to see out the back). As for metalic, if I recall it's more of an issue with a cell phone. I'd ask the installer.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:44 PM
Intermediate

I have 35% all around in my TSX, which is black on black. There is a noticeable difference between 35% and 20%, and with a black interior, you will likely be stopped with 20's all around.

As with metallic tints, they can interfere with an in dash navi system. I have nav as well, and I had to get the carbon tints, which won't interfere with it. It is also more expensive.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
i have 35% all around and its great. not too dark for night driving. but i do feel that sometimes i would like a little more privacy but then i would give up the night driving safety. which is more important. keeps the car cool enough. and i never got pulled over yet. in cali we're not supposed to have tint in the front and i do think they pull you over for just that. but ive been fine with the cops.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:18 PM
¿ʇı sı ʇɐɥʍ

has anyone had a good experience with dyed, non-metallic tints?
Old 09-04-2007, 01:31 PM
¿ʇı sı ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by spoiledkari
Oh, and...they don't make you pull it off on the side of the road!!! LMAO!!!
ive heard this many times tho, two people in another forum i post in said it happened to them too
Old 09-04-2007, 01:55 PM
Advanced

I drive a 2006 CGP/Quartz with Nav. I researched this topic to death before getting my tints installed.

I had Solarguard Supreme (metallic tint) 35% all around (no windshield) installed a couple months ago.

I have had NO PROBLEMS with the metallic affecting my NAV, sat., or cell phone. I was nervous to go metallic, but the tint shop "guaranteed" that it would not affect Nav. - and they were right.

I love the 35% around - would not go darker.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

I live in Philadelphia and i got 35% so the cops don't bother me. IMO 20% draws more attention than 35% does but i also think it depends what else you have done to your car. If you have wheels, or something else that stands out, then you def want to stay away from darker colors. I also have an ASM 06 non navi and the 35% Johnson Film looks great
Old 09-04-2007, 02:05 PM
¿ʇı sı ʇɐɥʍ

would anyone reccomend getting the moleskin too? its 90$ installed at the place im looking at going.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

would anyone reccomend getting the moleskin too? its 90$ installed at the place im looking at going.
$90 installed for moleskin is CHEAP compared to what i paid. the guy charged me $45 /door panel so i think that is pretty darn good! And yes, i would highly recommend it unless you want scratches in the not too distance future!
Old 09-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Tintprotector.com has a moleskin kit for $24.95 plus $4.95 to ship. I had it installed on my 05 when the tint job job was done a few months ago (they actually did it a few days after the job was done since I didn't realize I needed it until after I had the windows tinted). They only charged me $20 to do it and it took less than an hour. I'm going to have my 07 done also and they'll do it all at once. I know the need for felt (or moleskin) on the TSX seems to be an ongoing controversy, but I figure why take the chance?
Old 09-25-2007, 07:42 PM
9th Gear

Sorry for reviving an old thread :P I'm also in the Pittsburgh area, about 25 min out, and was wondering if anyone could recommend a quality tint shop? I'm looking to get moleskin installed as well, any recommendations? Thanks!
Old 09-25-2007, 10:36 PM
Advanced

^^ Ditto

Which suburbs are you in?

I'm out in the North Hills (out by Wexford/Cranberry).

I've called around to all the local tint places and none of them install moleskin. Let me know if you find any good info.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:08 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
When I had my tint put on, they charged me $20 a door for the moleskin. I had previously bought the $24.95 kit from tintprotector though. I figured I'd use their stuff so there would be no issue of warranty or whatever. However, they had put the door panel back on wrong (the wiper that the moleskin is placed on was not put back in the right order, causing a white strip of plastic to be visible). Instead of risking them doing any damage, I figured I'd do it myself.

Doing the doors is soooo easy. If I had known it was that easy, I would have done the moleskin myself. (when you follow the directions for removing the door panel, it'll tell you to remove the switch panel. This is not necessary at all)

After the first door, I did my other doors so quickly
Old 09-26-2007, 07:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
SoCaliTrojan you should post a DIY on moleskin.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:19 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by occdoc
^^ Ditto

Which suburbs are you in?

I'm out in the North Hills (out by Wexford/Cranberry).

I've called around to all the local tint places and none of them install moleskin. Let me know if you find any good info.
I'm South-West of Pittsburgh, in the Washington area. Haven't really called around yet, figured I'd try to find some suggestions first.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

get the moleskin....after 7 months with my tint, i have just started getting scratches on my fron driver/passenger windows...very random and I'm wondering why it is happening all of a sudden.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

get the moleskin....after 7 months with my tint, i have just started getting scratches on my front driver/passenger windows...very random and I'm wondering why it is happening all of a sudden.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:02 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

I've got 30% all the way around and really like it.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Instructor

I have 30% in the front and 20% in the back and like it. The difference is not very noticable to others until I point it out. Don't go with more than 10% difference though, it will not look good.

MBA