Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 07:29 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Tinting

I just purchased an 07 TSX. I want to tint my windows to 20%. Is it better to tint on top of the factory tinting or have them peel it off and start from scratch? Can they mess up the defroster grid this way? Anyone care to share any experiences/advice? It would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Instructor

If you take your car to a tint shop, they are going to remove whatever is on your windows so they can apply new tint. As long as you go to a professional to get your windows tinted, they will know how to sweat the rear film and remove it without damaging the defroster/antenna grid. Some places will charge extra (labor) to remove tint, so I took off my 4 side windows on my own and let a pro take off the rear so that I wouldnt damage the grid...but of course, that's all up to you!
Old 06-14-2007, 10:51 AM
7th Gear

Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated
Old 06-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
There is no factory tint (ie tint film) on the car. The glass has a little tint built into the glass, it is not something that can be removed. It does add slightly to the overall light transmission with whatever film you may get applied. Be sure to check your state's tint laws... unless of course you are not concerned about that. I have 35% all around on my car which is the legal limit in TX (except for the rear window). I even have a little label under the tint that says I'm legal. Now technically if a cop put one of those meters on my windows it might measure less than 35% due to the tint of the glass, but I don't think they would write me a ticket. My tint wasn't cheap (I have ceramic) and I don't want to have to rip it out, pay a ticket, and then pay again to get legal tint installed... so I just went with the legal max.

The installer will also remove the little Acura stickers on the side windows and hopefully they will remove the rear brake light and tint behind it... some installers will cut around it. You might want to ask.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Advanced

im in CA...you can still get a ticket regardless of whether or not it is "legal" or not...the cops will still write you a ticket and make you prove your point at the station if you want to fight it...so though in the end, you get off clean, its still a hassle to have to Prove that its legal...major inconvenience...

plus, the tint, even if legal, gives those rats another reason to pull you over and harass you...

wear sunglasses and use the automatic window down feature on your key fob on a hot day and save yourself the trouble...
Old 06-14-2007, 10:25 PM
Advanced

Geez, we have some conservative guys on this board. I know some states are harder than others, but I feel certain people ( and cars) attract more attention than others. A blacked out caddy and blacked out tsx are 2 different beasts. I just wouldnt go too dark. Also you could leave the sunroof undercover open to allow more light from above ( i have my roof tinted 5% tho). I have cgp with 20% on the rear glass and rear doors, and 35% on the front windows and dont thinks its too dark - although most believe having a uniform tint around the entire car, i find this attracts more attention- cops like a transition.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:49 PM
Advanced

it depends on where you are...some cities in CA, cops want a reason to pull someone over...we got the toughest laws on everything...

its died down a lot since modded imports are a staple now...but you always get those cops wanting to pull you over just cuz...

btw, my ride is bone stock, i too am a finance guy...good hygiene, dress, clean cut...and i still got pulled over...cop found nothing...so he gave me a seat belt ticket...
Old 06-15-2007, 12:34 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
robxc, you sound like a cop hater =P

My commute area has nice cops. I can do california stops in front of them, and they just look the other way. My mom once was caught without her seatbelt when waiting for a redlight, and the cop just reminded her to put her seatbelt on.

My accord has had 20% tint all around, and it's a coupe so the front windows are huge. I tend to stop beside cops at traffic lights, and they don't do anything.

Op is in Phoenix...I would hope that the cops understand that tint in that state ought to be a requirement =P
Old 06-15-2007, 12:46 AM
Advanced

i live in mid wilshire now...and cops out here dont give a crap what you do...

when i was in torrance...forget about it....

i hear they are pretty bad in the orange county as well....
Old 06-15-2007, 10:46 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
On the original question, the shop I had my windows done at had a disclaimer that they were not responsible for damaging antenna or defrost components if they had to remove film. So, you should check with the particular shop's policy. I have an 06 and there was no OEM film, but there is a very mild factory tint in the window itself. I had 35% put over it (legal limit) and it came out great. The two tints make it darker but I'm still legal.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:35 AM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Anyone done V-Kool 70 or 40 on their car?
I'm lead to believe it is more tricky to install , since it needs harder squeegying to remove more of the liquid.
I know the general approach to tinting is to darken them as much as you can (on the rear anyway), but I hate the disjointed look that gives.
So, V-Kool 70 all round, and I'll probably be happy since I'm only considering doing it due to the 94% IR rejection the film has, which should keep the car much cooler when exposed to sunlight.