Window Tint Question.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 07:15 PM
BRH
BRH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Tint Question.....

With the recent hot weather, I'm looking into getting the windows on my 06 TSX tinted.

The only estimate that I've gotten so far from a reliable shop is $285 for Llumar Platimun Plus or $250 for Llumar Platinum. (No felt or moleskin. The shop says that it isn't necessary and if scratches develop that they would re-install the tint at no charge.) I'm looking at the legal limit here in VA - 50% in front and 35% in rear.

1. Are these reasonable prices?
2. What's the real difference between the Platimun Plus and the Platinum? The shop said that it's just a matter of preference -- that the Plus is visually shinier, but that the heat/sun blocking properties are about the same for both.

Any thoughts on these questions and the plusses and minuses of each would be appreciated.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Intermediate

I know that the Platinum Plus is slightly mirror like. It will reflect blue if the sky is blue and gray if it is gray outside. In my own opinion the Plus only looks good on dark cars, namely blue and black. Looks awful on Silver and White cars.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:14 PM
BRH
BRH

Originally Posted by TonySX
I know that the Platinum Plus is slightly mirror like. It will reflect blue if the sky is blue and gray if it is gray outside. In my own opinion the Plus only looks good on dark cars, namely blue and black. Looks awful on Silver and White cars.
Thanks for that feedback. My TSX is Deep Green Pearl - kinda looks gray at times, depending on the light. Based on your comments it sounds like the Platinum Plus may not be the way to go.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:14 PM
for EVER more!

ah the deep green -- almost sprung for it, but waited for an RBP. just washed and waxed yesterday. wow! hope you like yours as much as i like mine!
Old 08-06-2006, 10:18 PM
Race Director

i would get the moleskin, b/c my TSX tints scratched like hell.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
As far as moleskin, it depends on your TSX. Mine doesn't have it and no scratches! It's been a year now since I had it installed. I had actually bought the mole skin but never used it. I also have a lifetime warranty on the film, in case it did get scratched. Congrats on your new TSX!
Old 08-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
I too have a quick question:

Anybody ever have any trouble with the reat tint if you run the rear defogger?
Old 08-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get the moleskin/felt!!!! Get it!!! If they won't install it, go somewhere else. It's all cool and all for them to replace it if it scratches, but 90% of the time tint won't look as good the second time around. If they miss any glue from the old tint it will show up 3 fold under the new stuff. Get the felt added! That is my #1 suggestion. I tint windows every day and have done about 8 TSX's in the past 2 months. I think I have found the true reason for our scratches and will post a thread about it when i'm sure it's the problem. Those prices sound great. I was doing TSX's for $220, but since they are such a Pain In the Ass due to the fact that you have to remove all the panels and add felt, the price have gone up. Applying felt takes about an extra hour in itself. It sux cause the TSX is one of the easiest cars ever to tint the normal way.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cmschmie
I too have a quick question:

Anybody ever have any trouble with the reat tint if you run the rear defogger?
I run mine with no problems and haven't heard of any issues.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:44 PM
BRH
BRH

After reading CJams post stressing the need for moleskin, I called the Acura dealer for a recommendation on where they send customers for window tinting. He recommended a shop, and I checked them out this afternoon.

Like the two other shops I've gone to, when I mentioned moleskin, he looked at me like I have two heads and said something like there's no need for it "unless I drive along a dirt road with my windows open" and that "he's never had a problem in 21 years".

Wasn't too crazy about his attitude, but he gave me some product info. He installs Madico. $299 installed - lifetime warranty - blah, blah, blah.....

Have any of you guys heard of Madico? How does it compare with Llumar and/or Huber-Optik (the stuff that the other installers I've gone to use).

And why is it that I can't find a local shop that would even consider the need for moleskin? This search for a confidence-inspiring tintshop is harder than I anticipated.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hey guys, quick question, is this a good deal for tint:

Johnson Window Films
moleskin on all four windows
35% all the way around
lifetime warranty (or so he says)
$400 even (220 for the tint and 40 bucks per door for door removal and moleskin)

??

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2006, 07:32 PM
for EVER more!

Originally Posted by BRH
After reading CJams post stressing the need for moleskin, I called the Acura dealer for a recommendation on where they send customers for window tinting. He recommended a shop, and I checked them out this afternoon.

Like the two other shops I've gone to, when I mentioned moleskin, he looked at me like I have two heads and said something like there's no need for it "unless I drive along a dirt road with my windows open" and that "he's never had a problem in 21 years".

Wasn't too crazy about his attitude, but he gave me some product info. He installs Madico. $299 installed - lifetime warranty - blah, blah, blah.....

Have any of you guys heard of Madico? How does it compare with Llumar and/or Huber-Optik (the stuff that the other installers I've gone to use).

And why is it that I can't find a local shop that would even consider the need for moleskin? This search for a confidence-inspiring tintshop is harder than I anticipated.
I have Madico and it looks great. I have the premium graphite stuff at 20% all around and I couldn't be happier. No loss of reception (maybe AM but only old people and sean hannity fans listen to AM).

There are fine scratches (maybe two at most) and I don't have moleskin. I can barely notice the scratches and don't anticipate them getting worse. I wouldn't even have it redone bc ive heard all of this stuff about scratches and if this is all i'll get im happy -- oh and I paid $150 INSTALLED for the premium stuff (including taxes) -- GREAT DEAL! He did not cut out tail light, but i like it tinted out too. Looks sexier IMHO...
Old 09-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Doesn't Rice His Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm actually in the process as we speak of getting price quotes. I'd like to hear more about the moleskin issue. I have the feeling that 75% of time you'll be fine without it, but there's that 25% that will really run into some problems (just a feeling).

I called some shops that quoted me pretty cheap prices around $160 w/out moleskin... then there were the more expensive shops that quoted me around $250 with moleskin and they specifically knew about scratching possiblities of the TSX. I'm leaning towards the more expensive shops that know about the TSX specfically. This leads me to believe that they're experienced and know exactly what they're doing rather than that 16 year old high school kid who's getting paid $5/hour to tint.

PS. What do you guys think about dye tints? I've heard the whole story about it fading, but doesn't it take quite a time in the sun to fade? I've also heard some of the guys over the phone tell me of a dye tint with some metallic in it? Thoughts?

PPS Can I put the moleskin/felt on myself?
Old 09-07-2006, 04:59 PM
Doesn't Rice His Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ignore my post above ^^ (or if a could edit it out.) I just called a friend of mine and everything is all setup.

I decided to go with 20% Johnson silhouette which is a hybrid (no moleskin). Then I'm going put moleskin/felt on there myself with great instructions from this thread.

\https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...45&postcount=1
Old 09-07-2006, 05:45 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Studville, I know you've decided on a route, but I pm'd you some information. don't know if you're local to kc or not. but it might help.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:50 PM
Intermediate

im gettin mine done this weekend & the cheapest place was like 200 but they would stern about not doing anything slightly illegal. i found a spot for 250 that would tint how i wanted.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BRH

Many Tint shops especially the ones that the dealers use don't know there head from their a**

Trust CJams and myself when we tell you GET THE MOLESKIN. My tint shop (best in Toronto, apparently) told me I didn't need it either. They got scratched like crazy in 2 weeks. Re-did the tint and its not the same as before as CJams suggested.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jwood_04TSX
Hey guys, quick question, is this a good deal for tint:

Johnson Window Films
moleskin on all four windows
35% all the way around
lifetime warranty (or so he says)
$400 even (220 for the tint and 40 bucks per door for door removal and moleskin)

??

Thanks!
I have the Johnson's film and it's great! Not sure that price is good or not. I didn't have the moleskin installed. I paid around $250.00.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

i actually went with it, no one really replied, but i go the johnson film and the moleskin and i have been very happy with it so far! I even got water on the driver side moleskin somehow, like it was soaking wet, and i took it back to the guy and they put new stuff on and clean the window, no scratches! So the guy backs his tint up, that is for sure!!!