Window tint...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 02:56 PM
tsx's4playinwith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Window tint...

I was thinking about getting my windows tinted in the near future, and am asking for a input on what % i should get done. I live in Pennsylvania, and am not sure what the legal numbers are, but i want something that looks nice from the outside, but still not to dark looking out it from the inside. My nieghbor came out today and said he just had his done on his benz ( 35 all around) and said it cost him around 150. He said most places do it for over 200, and the people come to your house and do it in your own garage(im not reall concerned about that). Would you think this is a good price compared to what others are paying
Thanks forr that advice ...
Non-nav
Old 02-14-2006, 03:20 PM
Instructor

Just had my tinting done 2 weeks ago and had the lighest shade for the front windows which in CA is still classes as illegal, and then got limo darkness on the passenger windows and back. The total came to $260 including tax. The guy that did it does alot of Acuras and said you need the felt inserting in to the door panels to stop the tint getting scratches on it. Also he used 3M tinting without metal in the tint to avoid it interupting with the Navi signal. The guy had it done within 4 hours. it would of only been $179 without the felt but as he had to remove the door panels it cost more. He also said that on other cars he charges more to install the felt as its harder to remove the door panels, but he said Acura's were one of the easier installs. I asked my local Acura service department if they could reccomend a good tint shop and thats who I went to in the end. Maybe not the cheapest but he knew his cars. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tmetcalf, what year TSX do you have? As I understand it the felt is on the inside of the 2006s, like lilballa has. I have one too of course but I've never really checked.

But yes, figure between $150 - $200 for a good quality job, with a name brand tint that won't interfere with your radio or navi. Up to double that if they gotta do the moleskin / felt application.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:35 PM
Instructor

I have a 06 CGP/Quartz W/Navi and the tint shop said I still needed the felt application. He said all new Hondas/Acuras need it if they are younger than 3 years old.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:56 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
www.tintdude.com
www.tintcenter.com

cough cough.... Happy to say my shop will be opening in Fife, WA on the first of March

I am currently using Madico and I didn't use moleskin on my TSX. I get those verticle streaks if I don't wash my windows for like 6 months. Then I just apply some amonia free cleaner and clean the windows and like magic it goes away. I'm sure if I let it stay dirty it will end up scratching, but I clean it before it gets to that point.

Up here in WA the base price for a TSX is around $179 to start. Add $10 each door window if you want the edges filed and ad about another $20-30 if you want to upgrade to a better film.

Your neighbors Benz is probably a 2 door or he has had multiple cars done by that tint guy. My return customers always get a better price than they got the first time.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:04 PM
tsx's4playinwith

Originally Posted by CJams
www.tintdude.com
www.tintcenter.com

cough cough.... Happy to say my shop will be opening in Fife, WA on the first of March

I am currently using Madico and I didn't use moleskin on my TSX. I get those verticle streaks if I don't wash my windows for like 6 months. Then I just apply some amonia free cleaner and clean the windows and like magic it goes away. I'm sure if I let it stay dirty it will end up scratching, but I clean it before it gets to that point.

Up here in WA the base price for a TSX is around $179 to start. Add $10 each door window if you want the edges filed and ad about another $20-30 if you want to upgrade to a better film.

Your neighbors Benz is probably a 2 door or he has had multiple cars done by that tint guy. My return customers always get a better price than they got the first time.
He showed me his car to day. It was a E 4 door sedan. Im pretty sure he had some connections with the guy he mentioned though..and said he could get it done for me with the same guy for around 150
Old 02-14-2006, 07:07 PM
Yui
Pro

www.tintdude.com
www.tintcenter.com

What do you mean by filing the eges?
Old 02-14-2006, 07:21 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
www.tintdude.com
www.tintcenter.com

where is fife??? is it far from seattle? How much would you charge me if I do it from you? give me good deal
Old 02-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Guinea Pig

Fife is that tiny strip right before Tacoma with all those car dealerships and RV dealerships. If you live in North Seattle and don't feel like driving down to see me, shoot me a pm and I will hook you up with a killer tint shop on the Seattle/Shoreline border. Good guys and good work! All azine members will get hooked up at my place! Instant 10% on the first car. Then we'll see from there out on the rest of the cars they bring. Not trying to advertise, just trying to hook up members to let them know different options and ways to get their rides pimped. We're actually planning an Azine meet at my shop in the next month. Keep an eye out in the meets section.

Filing the edges....Most window tint shops will leave about a 1/8th inch gap at the top border of the window. If you take a special type of file you can file the edge of the window to make it look like the window tint is factory glass like the rear doors of a SUV with factory glass. We charge 10 each window since it slows the tint process down. You have to lay half of the window, let it set up, go to the next window do the same, next do the same.etc... Then Go back to the first window, file the edge and complete that window, then the next....then next...

It's a very clean look that everyone is going to.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:10 PM
Guinea Pig

Originally Posted by lilballa
He showed me his car to day. It was a E 4 door sedan. Im pretty sure he had some connections with the guy he mentioned though..and said he could get it done for me with the same guy for around 150
DO IT!!! And refer other people to him if you like his work. That's the best way to find a tint shop. The east coast is cluttered with tint shops willing to cut each others throats on price. $150 is a killer deal. That's one of the cheapest I've seen on this board so far for a TSX. Just remember, if it's not Madico, you may get scratches on a TSX. Let us know how it goes and take pics!
Old 02-14-2006, 10:27 PM
mmmmmm....

Fife is that tiny strip right before Tacoma with all those car dealerships and RV dealerships. If you live in North Seattle and don't feel like driving down to see me, shoot me a pm and I will hook you up with a killer tint shop on the Seattle/Shoreline border. Good guys and good work! All azine members will get hooked up at my place! Instant 10% on the first car. Then we'll see from there out on the rest of the cars they bring. Not trying to advertise, just trying to hook up members to let them know different options and ways to get their rides pimped. We're actually planning an Azine meet at my shop in the next month. Keep an eye out in the meets section.

Filing the edges....Most window tint shops will leave about a 1/8th inch gap at the top border of the window. If you take a special type of file you can file the edge of the window to make it look like the window tint is factory glass like the rear doors of a SUV with factory glass. We charge 10 each window since it slows the tint process down. You have to lay half of the window, let it set up, go to the next window do the same, next do the same.etc... Then Go back to the first window, file the edge and complete that window, then the next....then next...

It's a very clean look that everyone is going to.
hey, it sounds good but whats the price?? because I have being calling all other place and found $189 (lowest price). I will try to find people to go to your shop!~ I guess fife isn't really that far than I thought. I love to come to see your shop and the meeting. I will PM with better detail.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:32 PM
Guinea Pig

$189 is about the starting price for the TSX. Like I said, that's the base price. Some shops have pretty good examples of filing and upgraded films to pull a couple of more bucks out of your pocket. Not a bad thing! If you want the better stuff you always gotta pay for it. $189 is a good price for the basics on a TSX.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:55 PM
mmmmmm....

Okay! I will let you know and maybe you can give me their contect number!~
Old 02-15-2006, 01:16 AM
Guinea Pig

S14 n TSX, What part of Seattle are you in?
Old 02-16-2006, 12:44 AM
mmmmmm....

S14 n TSX, What part of Seattle are you in?
U-distc!!~