wind buffeting noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 06:51 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
wind buffeting noise

I took a quick trip this weekend to Autin, TX and have noticed the wind buffeting noise is back. It appears to come from behind the passenger wheel well or the dash area behind the glove box (it is much louder when I open the glove box). At first my dealer told me it wa the body kit causing the noise (wind getting trapped in the hollowness of the kit). I don't buy that. The noise appears between 60 & 80 mph and is like a constant hum. Strange thing is the noise comes & goes. It may even becoming from behind the firewall in the engine compartment. Of course, when I take it in the dealer can not duplicate the problem and worst part is I can't duplicate it when I attempt to. Any ideas or other TSX owners who have notice this anomaly?
Old 09-02-2003, 07:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you ruled out cross-wind on the passenger side mirror?
Old 09-02-2003, 09:34 AM
Safety Car

No sure what you mean, please explain. The noise definitely sounds like it is coming from behind the dash area down low.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by miner
No sure what you mean, please explain. The noise definitely sounds like it is coming from behind the dash area down low.
Often side mirrors can vibrate with cross-winds (making it hard to reproduce), but if your saying it is coming from down low, then the tech guy is probably right that the body kit is doing it. I would pull on the body kit front lip and side skirt on the side where the noise is coming from. If they are loose, take them back to get them fixed.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:15 PM
Safety Car

Thanks for the suggestions. I have pulled on them and they appear to be attached firmly. One reason why I can't buy the body kit scenario. The rumbling/hum is driving me batty. I am usually pretty good about diagnosing rattles. One more thing to lose sleep over.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:25 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: wind buffeting noise

Originally posted by miner
....It appears to come from behind the passenger wheel well or the dash area behind the glove box (it is much louder when I open the glove box)...
This is a complete guess but is it possible that it's the pollen filter. That's located directly behind the glovebox...just a thought.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:25 AM
Safety Car

Can you please briefly tell me how to remove the filter? I want to check to see if it may be loose.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:35 PM
Advanced

The only real disappointment in my TSX thus far is wind noise. In my case, it seems to be very strong at 50 mph and above, and seems to eminate around the 'A' pillar on both sides of the car. It seems to change slightly when the road surface changes from concrete to blacktop. I wish I could get something done about this, but don't know what that might be?
Old 09-04-2003, 05:43 PM
Audi Driving Snob

wow interesting how different folks have different opinions. To me the tsx seems very quiet at highways speeds.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:51 PM
Advanced

I'm thinking of going back and test driving another TSX so I'll have some basis for comparison. Maybe that will help in the diagnostic process.

While I won't put this in the category of the rattles issue so many have described, I do find this problem to be very disappointing.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:59 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TSeniorX
The only real disappointment in my TSX thus far is wind noise. In my case, it seems to be very strong at 50 mph and above, and seems to eminate around the 'A' pillar on both sides of the car. It seems to change slightly when the road surface changes from concrete to blacktop. I wish I could get something done about this, but don't know what that might be?
I think the noise you are hearing is tire/road noise..not wind noise. This would explain why it changes for different road surfaces, and why some people think the TSX is quet and some think its loud (different roads).
Old 09-04-2003, 06:13 PM
Audi Driving Snob

yeah definitely. I didn't even catch that description of road surfaces. That's definitley road noise. Par for the course with larger 17s with relatively good sized 215mm wide tires.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:23 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the comments on "road noise" and I've certainly considered that, as TinkySD says, in the context of the 17" wheels. But IMO, what I'm experiencing is definitely a "rushing wind" type of noise, that I believe is caused by something other than the road noise you've described. It looks like I've got some homework to do on this one.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Burning Brakes

If everyone is talking about the sound I hear, I think it's a by product of a very low CG car. I love the sound, I sometimes turn the tunes down so I can listen it...OK, I listen to the engine a little too. The biggest problem I have is I love music, so I don't get to enjoy the awesome sounds my actual TSX is making. I think this car is so good that people are hearing more than they ever have before. Face it, it's a sport sedan and a fine one at that, and I think Acura designed it to sound like it does.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:46 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by TSeniorX
I would think that what causes the slight change in noise level going from concrete to asphalt has to be rumble/roar/noise from the tires. There is a substantial difference in tire noise level between those two surfaces - on all cars.

Don't have a TSX yet, so can't comment on the wind noise. But I hope it's either uncommon or you're more sensitive to it than I am.

Edit: Just read the rest of the posts.

Nevermind.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:10 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't think everyone is on the same page as far as the noise question. I for one know what road or tire noise is and I don't think that's what we're talkin about. On perfect roads which I drive daily{new construction}the car is ultra quiet. There are some concrete sections that bump up the volume a bit. But regardless of the road conditions, if you are on the highway there's a cool wind rush sound...that's what I was talkin about.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:51 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a wind noise problem a while ago with my 4runner. Sometimes when people have sound systems installed, sometimes certain seals or sound lining will come loose and will loose the effectiveness. Or... something that happened in my friends ML320. He accidentally tore off the rubber seal between the door jam and the door. He slipped it back in, but there was always this huge wind noise at highway speeds. It scared the crap out of his dad. But... maybe check to see if the rubber around the door jam is loose?