Will current generation parts cease production?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will current generation parts cease production?!

I just thought of this... When the new hideous TSX comes out, wouldn't production of parts for the current TSX cease to continue?!

I'm talking about OEM/JDM parts like the Euro R bodykits, JDM Headlights, and the likes that we've all come to love and admire. Even if it is not immediate, it will slow down and then it'll be hard to find and hella expensive... Crap!

Someone tell me I'm very wrong please and I still have plenty of time to save up...
Old 03-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Instructor

I would think so, but probably not immediately. Dealerships still need replacement parts and accessories to sell for the last batches of the vehicles and for people with the older years that want additional stuff and replacement parts.

I hope you get enough money soon for the things you want, I too am saving for parts. Euro R lip kit
Old 03-29-2008, 09:48 PM
日本国内市場の売春婦

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's possible... but also, as the car gets older, more companies would have tackled the car, so maybe some more parts as well?
Old 03-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Advanced

I doubt that's true, as the cars age, the more problems with them, the HIGHER the need for spare parts become.

I think evidence would be that our family '89 Toyota Corolla beater that we have, we can still buy the OEM rear windshield from Toyota, because the rear defroster is broken and we needed a new one.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Parts will not stop production, that I'm sure. What if I got into an accident and needed a new headlight?...but aftermarket parts such as suspension components intakes/exhaust might lower production, since most owners who want those performance parts get it early in the car's lifespan.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
No, parts production will always be necessary. If the manufacturer won't make them anymore, aftermarket companies might jump in. Just look at antique car restoration...they don't fabricate everything themselves.

Euro-R accords will still exist in Europe, and JDM accords will still exist in Japan (well, doesn't Japan have a strict rule that makes owning old cars difficult?). Those owners will still need replacement parts.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DixonTSX
I doubt that's true, as the cars age, the more problems with them, the HIGHER the need for spare parts become.

I think evidence would be that our family '89 Toyota Corolla beater that we have, we can still buy the OEM rear windshield from Toyota, because the rear defroster is broken and we needed a new one.
x2 while over time it will slow down but we will still be able to get parts...look at the older integras, they can still get parts...

What funny is I have a friend with an '89 corolla that his project car and he can still get parts for it, and fairly easy too...and thats 20 years old...

if parts become impossible to get its not going to be for awhile...probably not in the time period you own the car for.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:19 PM
heel/toe is my specialty

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Zyuan10

Someone tell me I'm very wrong

You are very wrong.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Poser / Fanboi

Seems like there is a legal requirement for the manufacturer to maintain stocks of replacement parts for 5 years? Maybe more, maybe less? But certainly the aftermarket will kick in... this will probably result in things getting cheaper (but also non-"OEM"). While there aren't a lot of TSXes in the states there sure are a ton of them in Europe (Accords, obviously) - this will probably help keep parts available as well.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by hunterk1
Seems like there is a legal requirement for the manufacturer to maintain stocks of replacement parts for 5 years? Maybe more, maybe less?
I had heard it was 10 years after the vehicle ceases production. Acura continues to provide parts longer than that, however, as things get older, they may not provide the parts in as small a piece. For example, you might have been able to get a light bulb socket by itself at one point, but 15 years later, you might have to buy a whole assembly.

On a side note, this may be why you don't see a small change, (that seems like a 'no brainer') that would only be in production for 2 years on a MMC.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:36 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no you can still buy parts from honda for a 91 nsx.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Maybe someone can find out for sure, but I think the federally mandated countdown starts from the end of production. The NSX went out of production in 2005 (or was it 2006?).

I do know that the govt requires you supply parts for a specific time, the manufacturer can go longer at their discretion.