Why a TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why a TSX?

Hello all,

I'm just curious what made you all pick a TSX over a TL? I currently have an 07 TSX, and I really had my sights set on a TL. However, when I went and test drove both cars, I found that I actually liked how the TSX drove better. So, I left the dealership with a TSX. Anyway's, I'm just curious to see what kind of things made folks on this board decide on a TSX over a TL.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:54 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Smaller, less expensive, better handling, better looking outside. That's pretty much my reason. They're both great cars though.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:58 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
similar experience.
I always drove V6s, and also SUV
in my budget of 35K, i wasn't expecting a TSX to be honest.
went to drive the TL, and it was jus another V6, nice equipped sedan.
and i drove the TSX. the sensitive response of inline 4, lightness i loved.
don't get me wrong thou, TL is a great car. very comfortable, sporty, luxury, and i liked it a lot. but i Loved the TSX.

before the purchase, i used to look around the forum, and damn the lowered TSX with simple a spec body kit looked so good outside...it still does.

often times i still drive TL when my tsx is in sceduled services, and i find the TL good. but with money to buy TL or even a TL-S, i'd go used 3 series or less equipped G35.

to me, TSX has more character. in modifying issue, which i always wanted to do and am doing, TSX is better car than a TL.
Plus, with this gas prcie humiliation and everyone turning into one of those hybrids, hey i'm driving a nice performance luxury sedan with 500 miles one tank.
life only gets better.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:11 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by TommySalami
Smaller, less expensive, better handling, better looking outside. That's pretty much my reason. They're both great cars though.
Same list for me, plus better MPG.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:21 PM
JDM Addict

4-cylinder
good gas mileage
same interior/luxury features
better handling
MADE IN JAPAN
better aftermarket

I too started wanting a TL and a TL only.
the TSX really surprised me though...
the TSX isn't a step down, it's a step in a different direction.
I liked that.

I'm kinda second guessing buying a new G35s though...
I think I should have bought an '08 or '07 RL instead...

I like the TL, just not as much as the TSX.
I'd like to see my parents in a TL though.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Instructor

TL = FWD type S... nuff said

TSX = 4 grand cheaper, better looking IMO, smaller, handling, see very few of them on the road around here. I like having a car not many people seem to know exist.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:41 PM
gets all the crazy chicks

lol I'm a honda fanboi for life, I went through four Civics before this and was going to go for #5 (though I was strongly considering the 06-07 WRX too) but everyone insisted I "grow up."
Old 07-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Instructor

TL is what brought me to look at Acuras, I love the way it looks. But it was out of my price range, so I went with the TSX. In hindsight, I am very pleased that I ended up with the TSX. The I4 is much more economical than a V6 these days, its smaller, a blast to drive, and its mostly the same as the TL anyway in terms of features. If I had to make the same decision again now, being able to afford a TL, I'd still pick the TSX. (1st gen that is... not the 2009 )
Old 07-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Advanced

Before I drove them I figured I would enjoy the power of the TL over the 4 banger TSX, but the TSX just felt so much more tossable despite only being ~200lbs lighter. I would guess that if there was a V6 in the TSX it would lose this advantage.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:18 PM
East Coast Crew

They need an inline 6 TSX
Old 07-27-2008, 09:22 PM
A Passionate Performer

Originally Posted by MMsTSX
4-cylinder
good gas mileage
same interior/luxury features
better handling
MADE IN JAPAN
better aftermarket

I too started wanting a TL and a TL only.
the TSX really surprised me though...
the TSX isn't a step down, it's a step in a different direction.
I liked that.

I'm kinda second guessing buying a new G35s though...
I think I should have bought an '08 or '07 RL instead...

I like the TL, just not as much as the TSX.
I'd like to see my parents in a TL though.
I couldn't have said it better myself..! Well said, MM's

(Even the part about seeing the parents in a TL.. I wish my parents would get one.. it would be the perfect car for them.)

To me.. TSX is the real "smart car"
Old 07-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I went to the dealer specifically to look at a TSX. While I was there, I gave the TL a look, but the interior really turned me off. I don't even remember what it was now. But I really liked the simplicity of the TSX interior. It's a ton of fun, gets decent gas mileage, Honda reliability, nice creature comforts. Really, what more could you want?
Old 07-27-2008, 10:44 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by litesout
I went to the dealer specifically to look at a TSX. While I was there, I gave the TL a look, but the interior really turned me off. I don't even remember what it was now. But I really liked the simplicity of the TSX interior. It's a ton of fun, gets decent gas mileage, Honda reliability, nice creature comforts. Really, what more could you want?
2 more cylinders
Old 07-27-2008, 11:02 PM
Pro

Thanks for all of your responses guys! I, too, am really happy that I went with the TSX. It's a great little car, and from what I've heard, the reliability is superb

As a side note, I do really like the TL, especially the TL-S, but when I drove an 05 TL, I just wasn't impressed with it. To be honest, I actually stopped looking at Acura's after that, and then out on a wimb, I decided to drive a TSX. I knew right away that the TSX was the right car for me, plus it was cheaper. Anyway's, it seemed like the perfect deal to me
Old 07-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 85 Posts
I liked the way the 1st gen TSX looked. Also, like many of you have said, it is much more fuel effiencient than the new TL. Besides, I already have a 1st gen TL in the house so I have decieded to go for something different for a try.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:03 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
2 more cylinders
Truthfully, I'm happy enough with the I4. It's a good balance of performance and economy. And with gas over $4/gallon for premium, it's a bit more of a consideration than power for me. Especially since about 90% of my driving is heavily patrolled city areas.

To be fair, the other car I seriously considered was a Chevy Impalla SS. Ton of fun to drive in a straight line, but it was a boatish for my taste. The TL gave a similar feeling, but not to that extent.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:04 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by visuelz
They need an inline 6 TSX
That would be interesting. Instead of having a v6, going with the I6 route. lol ;-P

I, too, went to Acura for the TL. I didn't even know the TSX existed. But when I found the TSX, I knew it was for me.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:35 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I was shopping for a high MPG fun car, and the RSX was dead in my sights. Similar cars were either under-equipped, or gas hogs (RX-8), or just missing something here or there. Test drove Accords (I4 and V6), for comparison (similar pricing, similar power, similar accoutrements?), they seemed a bit like a boat/tank, but very plush and comfy inside.

When I found and test-drove an RSX (not easy to come by, and I wanted 2005 or newer, Type S if I could get it), it had all I was looking for, but a little tough reaching the rear (where my daughter sits when she visits), impossible to adjust the driver's seat, and the dash/amenties left me really disappointed ("THIS is an Acura??"). And so for shits and grins I test-drove a 2005 TSX on the same lot. Every bit as fun on the test drive circuit, NICER INTERIOR by far, nicer stereo (chortle), easier getting my girl in and out, and same great mileage and reliability. As a sedan, it simply had a more civilized feeling inside. The RSX got a review titled "Champagne Performance On a Beer Budget," and I feel the TSX isn't far off from that as well.

A year later, I'm still pretty sure I made a smart purchase, even if I went $5000 over my expected expenditure. Only wish I'd held out for a NAVI unit. But then ... 2 weeks after I drove it off the lot, we had an excruciating heat wave ... which would've been unbearable in my vintage Jeep Wrangler. I was thanking the universe for the good time.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:13 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

1) Exterior Overall design is amazing. I love how the TSX looks. TL's rear end just doesn't do it for me.

2) Interior Design is very well laid out and clean. TL's interior was bit too cluttered.

3) Size. I wanted a smaller luxury sports sedan but not nutt crunching small like the IS350.

4) All the standard features, HID's , etc.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:02 AM
Racer

just like others, the things that brought me to the TSX over the TL are the better styling, the smaller size and the fact that it is made in Japan.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:36 AM
Instructor

Whatzup dude..
I went to buy the TL as well couple of months back and was kinda disappointed how it drove, plus it's made in US so the quality isn't up to the JDM (Japanese domestic market) standards. The TSX IMO has become a legendary car, been already in Car and Driver's best cars three times. It's made in Japan, and that's a BIG plus. You'll hardly have any rattles unlike the TL.

Designwize, it's more elegant and simple (TSX) and is extremely balanced. From low-revvs to save fuel to high-revvs at higher gears makes it a blast to drive. The handling is just simply amazing and this car actually drives like a RWD with virtually no torque steer. IMO this car has better build quality and materials used than the Lexus IS250. The IS250 has softer leather seats though, but that care is like $5-6K more and has so many problems if you follow the Lexus.com and LexusTSIBs websites.

Money wasn't an issue for me, my budget was up to $40K but I wanted to get a great car. I drove the TL, wasn't impressed since it just drove like the Accord but was more spacious and had the Acura badge. I drove the TSX and IS250 back and forth till finally decided to go with the TSX. The IS250 didn't do anything special on the road, but it was very well balanced with minimum body roll. The TSX felt very close to the BMW, with excellent steering feedback. I simply enjoyed driving it and it's a great fun car! I didn't feel the same with the IS250 and TL. So I went with my instincts and bought the TSX and I'm really happy with my decision. When you buy a car, don't think that expensive cars are better than less expensive ones. It's all a marketing thing in the end, you should try out every car within your budget and go for with the one which drives the best for you.

If I have to buy the car all over again, I'd still take the TSX. For more high-end cars, I'll either take the Lexus IS350, G35 sedan or the 3 series coupe. I think the TL isn't a great car like the TSX.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:36 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
never considered the tl so did not look at them when I purchased my tsx. I did have a 08 tl as a loaner car while my car was being serviced. Was able to keep it overnight-put 500+miles on it. Made we appreciate my tsx even more.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:28 AM
I make sex in my

Price.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:47 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,201 Posts
I wanted a TL, but we were looking for a car for my wife. The overall smaller size, I4 engine, tons of standard features, and the unique/rare design made the TSX the better choice for us.

I would love to have a V-6 in the TSX, but we really only need the I-4. Getting 33-35 mpg at 80 mph on the hwy makes it worth it.

The only thing I wish the TSX had was cooled seats, it gets a little warm in the summer time on the back side.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 07-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Intermediate

The first time I saw the 04 TL I liked it a lot and put it in the back burner for my next car. Come time for my next car in 07, I saw the TSX in ACURA.com and saw the specs were just right for me and my budget. So I jumped the gun, without even test driving a TSX in my life, and bought it. This was the best outcome for an impulse buy, and I'm glad I did!
Old 07-28-2008, 02:26 PM
ridiculously good looking

made in japan, and the rear seats fold down :P
Old 07-28-2008, 04:28 PM
Instructor

Pretty much the same experience. Thinking I would eventually choose the TL, I drove both cars. I was shocked at how rough the TL ride was compared to the TSX. It was also less responsive in its steering, though definitely, it felt more powerful, but that wasn't a big selling point for me. At that point, it was looks (TL) vs. handling + a few k less (TSX). I chose the latter, not regretting it much, but sometimes I do wish my TSX had a TL body.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:05 PM
gistered User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just love the lines of this car. Still do. TL lines are nice, too. Moding my TSX is fun stuff– and a great learning experience.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:38 PM
The Anti Avatar

Same thing with me. I was a die hard TL guy and was dead set on getting one... until, for the heck of it I took the TSX on a test drive.

To me the TSX was the perfect bridge that closed the gap on what I was looking for. Maybe not quiet the performance of a 6cylinder, but better than most 4 bangers while still getting very good mpg!
Old 07-28-2008, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by tsx 2 nv
made in japan, and the rear seats fold down :P
Forgot that ... the Accord coupe, IIRC, and even the comparable sedans, don't offer this simple amenity.
Originally Posted by orlando
Come time for my next car in 07, I saw the TSX in ACURA.com and saw the specs were just right for me and my budget. So I jumped the gun, without even test driving a TSX in my life, and bought it.
"Fortune favors the bold...!"
Old 07-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Poser / Fanboi

Originally Posted by davidspalding
I was shopping for a high MPG fun car, and the RSX was dead in my sights. [...]
OK I wondered if I was the only one. That was exactly my circumstance... I basically wanted a Civic with leather and a little more power. But my wife was pregnant, and after the baby shower we had the baby seat. I went to the dealer and put it in the back of the RSX... and it was clear my back would give out if I had to do that for any length of time. So I looked at the TSX, test drove the TSX (initial thoughts: "IT'S HUGE COMPARED TO THE RSX", but I loved the 6-speed), did a lot of research...

Originally Posted by 1Louder
Same list for me, plus better MPG.
...and in the end I went with it: the sentiments above are my thoughts as well. Plus, as I've said before, it's the best value out there.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:35 AM

If I'd have known more about the Civic Si, I would have searched for one. An Si with aftermarket leather conversion might've been nice ... but still the issue of how the kidlin gets in and out.

I find the TSX' dual memory seat feature is a real boon. In my new garage, boxes make it too cramped for my girl to get out on the passenger side. So I have memory 1 stored as way forward and up ... when we get home, I get out, hit 1, seat moves out of the way, and she can get out on the driver's side like the princess that she is.

Another win that the TSX had over the Accord (okay, I honestly don't know if the coupes had memory seats).
Old 07-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Cruisin'

i test drove the is350 and standing at 6 .1" found it wasnt plausable so i walked across to the acura dealership and test drove the tsx and found that it was still small but big at the same time (gatta love adjusable seating LOL) but anways i love my tsx
Old 07-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Poser / Fanboi

Originally Posted by davidspalding
If I'd have known more about the Civic Si, I would have searched for one. An Si with aftermarket leather conversion might've been nice ... but still the issue of how the kidlin gets in and out.
Originally Posted by RoopsTSX
i test drove the is350 and standing at 6 .1" found it wasnt plausable
I sat in a Civic EX and at 6'1" it was... kind of plausible but wanted to actually be able to sit up straight when I wanted to without the roof stopping me... and also considered the Civic SI (which was only a coupe in '06), but they wouldn't let me test drive it unless I was "serious" so oh well.

I'm curious how many people were thinking TL and ended up with a TSX -vs- those who were considering something smaller (only four of us - CiViCKiDD, davidspalding, RoopsTSX, and myself) and ended up with a "BIG" TSX?
Old 07-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
I was drawn to the TL based on looks alone, but chose the TSX after I read reviews and took both the TL and the TSX on test drives.

I also drove a Integra 4 door for 150000 miles before this, and loved it. I was still enamored with the thought of a rev-happy NA 4 cylinder car that handled well. The TSX was a bit more engaging for my own preferences.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:55 AM
czr
Cruisin'

The TL's doesn't look very good... In fact its hella ugly
Old 07-29-2008, 11:13 AM
where is my garage?!

i originally wanted the TL, but it was mostly the price that made me look at the TSX.

some of the reasons i made the TSX my final choice:
-resale value
-relative fuel efficiency (honda)
-sedan (for family)
-looks nice w/ some hints of luxury and features
-overall price was in our budget
-good all-around package/value for an entry level 'luxury' sedan (quotes used b/c that's always debatable)
Old 07-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TonysTSeX
I couldn't have said it better myself..! Well said, MM's

(Even the part about seeing the parents in a TL.. I wish my parents would get one.. it would be the perfect car for them.)

To me.. TSX is the real "smart car"
Ha! My parents do drive a TL...a type S even.

That's why I have a TSX ;-) Acutally, I'm kidding. TL brought me to Acura as well. It was back in the day when I had my 2001 Acord and the TL inside looked almost identical. I love my Accord so the natural progression was to look at TL. While at the local Auto Show, I admired the TL and picked up a brochure for the 2004 lineup. Inside was a preview for the TSX. I was in love at first sight. After 3 years of waiting and saving and researching, I bought my '06. I liked that the TSX was smaller but still a sedan so I could more easily tote friends, family or my work stuff around while still being more agile and sportier than the somewhat boaty TL. I loved the look, especially the back end. And most of all I loved that it was in my price range. Actually the least expensive of the cars I looked at (G35, IS, V6 Accord, Mazda 6) so how could I go wrong?

Still love my baby two years later. I just had a really nice compliment from my boss who recently drove it when a bunch of us went to a baseball game. He drives all BMW's as daily drivers and in the summer, busts out with the Porche 911. He must have said 5 times "wow..this is a really nice car."
Old 07-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Instructor

I have a TSX, and recently went in to test drive the TL again to see what I was missing out on and to tell you the truth there was nothing the TL had over the TSX. It may have a bigger engine but it doesn't feel any quicker due to the increase in size and weight of the TL. The handling isn't as good, it drives like a big boat at times and torque steer is present so much more. The car is huge and it swamps me compared to the nice tight fit of the TSX. The interior materials are the same quality. In fact the infomation screen in the middle of the dials has more info on the TSX than the TL, including the realistic MPG bar which changes as you drive.
I like The styling of the 1 gen tsx is so much better than the TL. For an extra few thousand to get a TL it really doesn't stand out as being superior in any way. For the money the TSX is an amazing car that cannot be beat for standard features.

Quick Reply: Why a TSX?