Why is Acura only sold in North America??

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 12:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by domn
I wish it was. I could live without some of the frills Acura throws in.
And the more expensive dealer service (as compared to Honda)
Old 03-14-2005, 12:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
Old 03-14-2005, 12:14 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by puma0504
I am a pretty big tsx fanboy and even though I know Acura has a long way to go to match Lexus in terms of overall quality, I still think acura would make a KILLING selling there cars internationally.

But they do sell them internationally. They are just called Honda's.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:21 PM
ric
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Minority. Most people couldn't tell the difference driving an Accord and a TSX. To them, it's just transportation. Most of those people also don't frequent this board.
gotta pay for the cappucino bar and the widescreen TV somehow......
Old 03-14-2005, 12:22 PM
ric
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jlukja
gotta pay for the widescreen TV and the cappucino bar somehow, guys! Be reasonable!
Old 03-14-2005, 12:23 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by fdl
But they do sell them internationally. They are just called Honda's.
Sure they do but with a different interior, if they brought our interior into the european market then I bet the sales would go up major.
Banned

All Hondas I ever had were Acuras - personally I find the dorky "H" fugly.
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JonDeutsch
Watch out for the Chinese. They may give us a run for our money in market/brand shallowness...
Yes, but as an overall market they will accept some pretty crappy knockoffs with the right logo/brand on them, whereas Mercedes profits have slumped here in recent years due to selling inferior products, and sales have followed.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:51 PM
CEO of IMHO

Originally Posted by ric
So, would folks have purchased a TSX that was exactly the same (including the exterior and interior style cues that differentiate the TSX from the Honda Euro sports sedan....) as what we have purchased save it had an H on the front and rear vs the A and it was purchased from a Honda Dealer?
I might have, but not necessarily. It depends if in this alternate world Acura even exists. If Acura did not exist, then yeah, I'd probably still buy it. But if Acura DID exist, then I'd have to wonder why it wasn't good enough for the Acura brand.

I happen to like what the Acura brand represents: a near-luxury, reliable, sporty, safe value. I think Honda represents a more solid, practical, reliable value.

Jon
Old 03-14-2005, 12:55 PM
CEO of IMHO

Originally Posted by elduderino
Yes, but as an overall market they will accept some pretty crappy knockoffs with the right logo/brand on them, whereas Mercedes profits have slumped here in recent years due to selling inferior products, and sales have followed.
All very true. But watch the needle begin to move in China. They're maturing at a fairly rapid rate. The part we agree on is that they'll accept crap-on-a-stick as long as there is the right logo/brand slapped on it. That shallowness is reminiscent of Americans... many of us do not really care to research the quality -- we rely on brands to tell us what is made for us. But, yeah, we Americans won't put up with bad quality behind a quality brand for very long.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:43 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,234 Likes on 823 Posts
My point is that the luxury brands seems to be offering cars that are different then their non-luxury counterparts. If Honda had a car like the TSX (styling, handling, etc) I would have got the Honda. I personally wanted things associated with luxury like leather, sunroof, etc which if I got an Accord the cost would have come close to the TSX.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:21 PM
CEO of IMHO

One of the things about the Acura brand that I really like is the fact that it's the "Everything and the kitchen sink" marketing strategy.

I hate add ons that nickel and dime you to $5k more than the base price. It makes me feel guilty and glutonous. I prefer not having options... just make it all stock. This way, Acura saves on integration and production costs by ordering a consistent number of items, and optimizing plan operations.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:09 PM
STC
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Powered by Honda
I wish Acura didnt exist. and all Acuras would be what they are supposed to be Hondas. Like in Japan!

Thats why if I ever buy an Acura....it will be debadged and turned into a Honda within a week.
hahahah
Old 03-14-2005, 06:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by STC
hahahah
I wouldn't want to lose the Acura snob factor.

j/k
Old 03-14-2005, 07:20 PM
CEO of IMHO

I think of all the 'luxury' nameplates, Acura delivers the least snob factor. In fact, I would feel a bit too 'bling' in a Mercedes. In a Merc or Bimmer, people at work may think I'm made of money.

With an Acura, people don't think that I'm made 'o money. They think I'm doing better than a Honda driver, but not as good as Lexus or Merc.

At least, that's my take.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by JonDeutsch
I think of all the 'luxury' nameplates, Acura delivers the least snob factor. In fact, I would feel a bit too 'bling' in a Mercedes. In a Merc or Bimmer, people at work may think I'm made of money.

With an Acura, people don't think that I'm made 'o money. They think I'm doing better than a Honda driver, but not as good as Lexus or Merc.

At least, that's my take.
Actually, in a lot of ways, Acura allows people to slip under the radar. BMWs these days have a snob appeal that is off the scale. BMWs attract the snootiest audience by far with MB a solid second.

Snob appeal actually is a huge negative in my book.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:13 PM
ric
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Actually, in a lot of ways, Acura allows people to slip under the radar. BMWs these days have a snob appeal that is off the scale. BMWs attract the snootiest audience by far with MB a solid second.

Snob appeal actually is a huge negative in my book.
My client base would be pissed if I showed up in a Bimmer or Merc........ even if the cost is the same. We can arrive in a loaded Volvo, a Saab, an Acura, heavily loaded Subarus (meh) and a mix of Infiniti and Lexi, but not a cliche snob car.

and - living in the heart of the city, I prefer to drive something less conspicuously carjackable.

Conversely, I am not driving a fully loaded Camry..............