Who's running subs in trunk with navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 02:35 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who's running subs in trunk with navigation?

Got a question for y'all. Anyone here running sub or subs (10" or greater) and just pounding away daily with the stock navigation drive in teh trunk?

i'm just concerned if this is healthy or detrimental at all to the dvd navi unit. Considering that it DOES cost like 2-3G's to replace from Acura if it breaks, I got a sub myself and after doing the non-navi to navi conversion, I find myself scared to turn up the bass and pound away.

Mainly for fear that the low frequency resonance will knock those tiny parts inside the optical drive loose to the point where one day it'll say "Can't read DVD, you suck!"
Old 11-01-2007, 05:27 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
(o.o)/

and as far as i see it...meh

A good sound system isnt cheap. If you dont want one, dont buy one. A sub IMO causes more wear and tear on your vehicle than not having one (rattles, etc.) but it also improves your driving experience. I commute a total of about 3 hours a day. I want to be comfortable, i want to be able to downshift on mountain backroads, and i didnt want a stick when im stuck in traffic; so i bought a 5at tsx. I could of got a Kia for cheaper, but happiness > money.

After all that rambling what i am saying is, if you really want a sub, get one. If it shortens the life of your dvd unit than so be it.

Also, i'd recommend the FI-Q. Im running the 12" and its an awesome sub.

if this post doesnt make sense i apologize, i am at work and didnt sleep last night and am feeling a lil delirious lol
Old 11-01-2007, 07:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let me ask you this.

What's more important to you?

People knowing when you're coming, or you knowing where you're going?

To be honest I'd be scared of the same thing. If I were you, I'd keep the bass down, just in case.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:06 PM
2008 Acura TSX

Originally Posted by greendestiny
Got a question for y'all. Anyone here running sub or subs (10" or greater) and just pounding away daily with the stock navigation drive in teh trunk?

i'm just concerned if this is healthy or detrimental at all to the dvd navi unit. Considering that it DOES cost like 2-3G's to replace from Acura if it breaks, I got a sub myself and after doing the non-navi to navi conversion, I find myself scared to turn up the bass and pound away.

Mainly for fear that the low frequency resonance will knock those tiny parts inside the optical drive loose to the point where one day it'll say "Can't read DVD, you suck!"

I was going to, but... nah.
Even the stock speakers are ok, all I am going to do is upgrade those down the line.... I guess I am just getting old lol.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Racer

yea i got one.. had one for bout 2 years (Kicker L7) havent had any problems yet..
Old 11-02-2007, 01:05 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been running a 10" Basslink for about a year now. Not crazy loud, but enough to fill the bass. No issues with the Navi to date (knock on wood).
Old 11-02-2007, 01:33 AM
Got Phó?

Running two 12's, bump that shit everyday. So far so good, Honda quality baby!
Old 11-02-2007, 08:03 AM
Drifting

Running two JL 10w6v2's with 1200w RMS daily and i've never had any problems even on the loudest of days...
Old 11-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ILoveMyHonda
Let me ask you this.

What's more important to you?

People knowing when you're coming, or you knowing where you're going?

To be honest I'd be scared of the same thing. If I were you, I'd keep the bass down, just in case.

Sorry but i had to respond. I got a good SQ sub not so ppl could here me coming...but so i could enjoy my music more. A ported box with 2 SPL 15"s is maybe so ppl can hear you coming. A single SQ 12" in a sealed enclosure isn't.

Also when approaching lights, neighborhoods, etc, i always turn my music down. When driving at 80mph on the freeway though is a different story.

Don't mean to come off rude or anything, but wanted to exemplify that just cause you want a sub in your car doesn't mean your some moron trying to make OTHERS feel your bass.

Also keep in mind its not like you have to remove the nav to get bass. You are taking a CHANCE of causing more wear and tear on your nav. No one really knows how much of a chance that is. Ppl have been running subs for like 3yrs with no nav problems, and ppl with stock stereos have had navs fail.

Long story short, do what you want. Yes the nav is a 3k part from acura, but in 2 yrs if yours fails from a sub, they will probably be easily available at junkyards, etc.

Ive insinuated to get a SQ instead of a SPL sub, but i'll say it straight out incase it wasn't clear. Get an SQ sub. lol.

Enjoy your sub
Old 11-02-2007, 11:07 AM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
I just installed two infinity kappa 6x9's in the rear deck and the bass greatly improved, no sub, no vibration, no possible damage to the nav unit. You can try that route first to see if you like it, or if you still need more.