Who here financed from a private seller? I can't register my car!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 10:17 PM
resident asshole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who here financed from a private seller? I can't register my car!

I just got my private party purchase partially financed through Chase bank (BIG mistake... stay away from them), and the original TSX owner had a loan out on the car from Harris bank that Chase payed off.

Now I am waiting for Chase to receive the title from Harris. Was I supposed to get Temp plates from somewhere (im in IL)? Chase charged an extra $900 to pay govt taxes and title/license fees (so I am assuming they will be filing the paperwork).

I went to the DMV since the Chase bank guy said that I should go there to register... thing is they need the title to register it! The bank manager was a douche and didn't know what was going on (along with most of their phone reps... did I mention I hate Chase?).

Anyone else have a similar problem with financing private party cars? My car has been sitting in the garage for over 2 weeks since its not registered and has no plates. I can't even get a straight answer from anyone at Chase.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Why would you need to register it yourself if Chase paid it off and is going to do the filing and stuff? Chase should have received the title since they paid it off. They are now the owners, and since you took out a loan from them, they are the lienholders.

If Chase doesn't have it yet, have them complain, or harrass Harris and have them send it off to Chase.

I used to work in a bank vault, and with the sort of people that worked there, I bet the bank lost your title or misfiled it with someone else's mortgage papers. lol, the memories...
Old 05-29-2008, 11:28 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
actually, the process you should've gone through is quite simple:

chase pays harris. harris transfers title to chase. chase is now lien holder. the bank is suppose to give you papers that show they are the lien holders; with that, you should be able to register the car with the dmv. insurance is the same thing; while the insurance is under your name, chase would be named as the loss payee.

its quite simple really...
Old 05-30-2008, 07:28 PM
resident asshole

Originally Posted by 808havok_tsx
actually, the process you should've gone through is quite simple:

chase pays harris. harris transfers title to chase. chase is now lien holder. the bank is suppose to give you papers that show they are the lien holders; with that, you should be able to register the car with the dmv. insurance is the same thing; while the insurance is under your name, chase would be named as the loss payee.

its quite simple really...
I know the process, but the thing was the Chase employees didn't know the procedure. I actually got an answer from someone at Chase (after being transferred 3 times) that said they should release the title so I can register, which makes no sense since they are the owners of the title (other employees thought that it would be electronically filed with the IL DMV... another thing that makes no sense).

Harris's loan was payed off 10 days ago and Chase says they still haven't received the title.

But what you are saying is that I should go to the bank and request papers that says they are the lien holder... even though the title is not in their physical possession yet?
Old 05-30-2008, 07:29 PM
resident asshole

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
Why would you need to register it yourself if Chase paid it off and is going to do the filing and stuff? Chase should have received the title since they paid it off. They are now the owners, and since you took out a loan from them, they are the lienholders.

If Chase doesn't have it yet, have them complain, or harrass Harris and have them send it off to Chase.

I used to work in a bank vault, and with the sort of people that worked there, I bet the bank lost your title or misfiled it with someone else's mortgage papers. lol, the memories...
Actually... I was afraid that would happen ..
Old 05-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by odannyboi
Harris's loan was payed off 10 days ago and Chase says they still haven't received the title.

But what you are saying is that I should go to the bank and request papers that says they are the lien holder... even though the title is not in their physical possession yet?
i would get on both harris and chase's case. it does NOT take that long to transfer titles. i would make sure harris actually released the title and make sure someone at chase got the title. ask for names. ask for date/time transactions were done and who did the transactions. it seems like no one wants to be accountable for their screw up.

fwiw, my credit union handled everything for me and i was able to get everything worked out in one day over the phone. i called all parties involved (talked to one person only) to make sure each step was finished, then moved on to the next step. dealer/credit union/insurance worked everything out via fax. hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:23 PM
resident asshole

Originally Posted by 808havok_tsx
i would get on both harris and chase's case. it does NOT take that long to transfer titles. i would make sure harris actually released the title and make sure someone at chase got the title. ask for names. ask for date/time transactions were done and who did the transactions. it seems like no one wants to be accountable for their screw up.

fwiw, my credit union handled everything for me and i was able to get everything worked out in one day over the phone. i called all parties involved (talked to one person only) to make sure each step was finished, then moved on to the next step. dealer/credit union/insurance worked everything out via fax. hope this helps.
I got insurance for the car a week before I closed on the loan. But I just researched and it says bigger banks take longer to do the payoff and physically send the title... then they send it to another big bank and it takes even more time to receive it.

But you've been VERY helpful... tomorrow I'm going to the banks tomorrow (two branches of harris and chase are literally right next to each other) to raise hell if I dont get straight answers.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:42 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Ask Chase (or harris) the procedure for them to provide you a loaner car - seems like they owe you a ride while they sort it out. Might make them move a bit quicker...

I don't actually think they will, but it doesn't hurt to wave the cost impact to you in front of them. Maybe your the sort that will take them to small claims court...