what is the Vehicle Alarm detail on TSX

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 10:44 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is the Vehicle Alarm detail on TSX

My insureance agency has asked about the detail on the TSX alarm, I can't fin any specific info.

Help Please.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:57 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
The alarm system is essentially a door sensor. If someone tries to open a door without disabling the alarm system first, it goes off and activates the ignition kill device, which prevents vehicle ignition.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:18 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
The alarm system is essentially a door sensor. If someone tries to open a door without disabling the alarm system first, it goes off and activates the ignition kill device, which prevents vehicle ignition.
Ahhhh...no. The "security" system is activated when the doors are locked, either with the keyless remote or by locking the door with the key. The "security" system will beep the horn if a door is unlocked manually (ie. without the remote or door key) or if the trunk or hood are opened. The "security" system will disarm when the doors are unlocked with the key or keyless remote. The "security" can also be triggered by battery voltage drop, unplugging the radio, or the trunk opener button.

The "immobilizer" system bypasses the fuel pump and is active whenever the car is off and the key is out of the ignition. It is deacctivated when a proper ignition key is recognized. The keys have a transponder imbedded in the head which is recognized by the immobi receiver in the steering column.

The two systems are independant of each other. There is no "ignition" kill on the TSX from the factory.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Good summary of the security system. But the system doesn't have current/voltage sensing though...
Old 06-14-2004, 09:37 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so what do i tell my insurance guys

Originally Posted by poltergeist
Ahhhh...no. The "security" system is activated when the doors are locked, either with the keyless remote or by locking the door with the key. The "security" system will beep the horn if a door is unlocked manually (ie. without the remote or door key) or if the trunk or hood are opened. The "security" system will disarm when the doors are unlocked with the key or keyless remote. The "security" can also be triggered by battery voltage drop, unplugging the radio, or the trunk opener button.

The "immobilizer" system bypasses the fuel pump and is active whenever the car is off and the key is out of the ignition. It is deacctivated when a proper ignition key is recognized. The keys have a transponder imbedded in the head which is recognized by the immobi receiver in the steering column.

The two systems are independant of each other. There is no "ignition" kill on the TSX from the factory.
so what do i tell my insurance guys? do i say that it has a passive alarm? i think te premium is affected by the type of alarm. thanks for your comments.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:35 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JTso
Good summary of the security system. But the system doesn't have current/voltage sensing though...
Have to call you on this...I was surprised as well, but according to the ETM, battery voltage is monitored by the security system. Page 130-6.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:38 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by pantji
so what do i tell my insurance guys? do i say that it has a passive alarm? i think te premium is affected by the type of alarm. thanks for your comments.
The Immobilizer would be considered passive (ie. functions without you taking action). The Security system is active.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by poltergeist
Have to call you on this...I was surprised as well, but according to the ETM, battery voltage is monitored by the security system. Page 130-6.
No need to call me on this because I just tested it by arming the car. Then turn on the headlights, and interior lights. Nothing happens.

Btw, I too have the ETM and see what you are referring to. However, not all designs necessarily made it to production.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:05 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by JTso
No need to call me on this because I just tested it by arming the car. Then turn on the headlights, and interior lights. Nothing happens.

Btw, I too have the ETM and see what you are referring to. However, not all designs necessarily made it to production.
We don't know the voltage threshold, but I'd assume the Multiplex might trip the Security at some lower voltage. I've seen some aftermarket alarms that do this. Guess neither of us will know without a call to Honda/Acura engineering. I'll have to look into it and see if I can find out.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, please let us know what you find out.