What do you think??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 06:39 PM
TSXASORISREX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you think??

My mom is looking for a new suv she is trying to decide between the cayanne, x5 or the new cady suv. all suggestions welcome and any other cars you guys can think of. thanks
Old 01-28-2004, 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That all depends on what you need the car to do for you when it comes to a comparison liek this one. I'd personally take the Cayenne S (though a Turbo would be sweet, the S has enough). The Caddy is going to take a dive in residual value, as all lac's do, and it all depends on what X5 she's looking at (whether it be the 3.0, the 4.4, or the 4.6is). The X5 4.4 will cost you in the mid-50s just to get started and the Escalade has all sorts of incentives (whether they be rebates or incentive rates), which aren't at all good for what you'll see in that car when you go to get rid of it, can seriously skew one's outlook on what to buy. Don't let that be a deciding factor. A manufacturer never puts incentives on cars that are doing well for them. Why would they take less for a car that does well? The X5 has decent resale value for its class, and the Cayenne is yet to be thoroughly tested on the open market (being that it is so new). Back to the Cayenne, as it is probably the best of the 3 when it comes to bang for the buck and true capability for what is called a true sport utility vehicle. You'll spend closer to 60k for the Cayenne, but it'll get you from point a to point b in a lot more style and a whole lot faster than the other 2. I am a little biased, but I have to throw in my 2 cents.

Can you tell who I used to work for, have an obsession for (that can't be healthy), and want to go back to work for? Sad isn't it?
Old 01-28-2004, 06:54 PM
TSXASORISREX

I agree with you on the cayanne, im trying to convince her to that and if she agrees i want to push for the turbo so when im not driving my tsx i can play around in her car hehe.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:00 PM
Pro

Originally posted by kurt_bradley
That all depends on what you need the car to do for you when it comes to a comparison liek this one. I'd personally take the Cayenne S (though a Turbo would be sweet, the S has enough). The Caddy is going to take a dive in residual value, as all lac's do, and it all depends on what X5 she's looking at (whether it be the 3.0, the 4.4, or the 4.6is). The X5 4.4 will cost you in the mid-50s just to get started and the Escalade has all sorts of incentives (whether they be rebates or incentive rates), which aren't at all good for what you'll see in that car when you go to get rid of it, can seriously skew one's outlook on what to buy. Don't let that be a deciding factor. A manufacturer never puts incentives on cars that are doing well for them. Why would they take less for a car that does well? The X5 has decent resale value for its class, and the Cayenne is yet to be thoroughly tested on the open market (being that it is so new). Back to the Cayenne, as it is probably the best of the 3 when it comes to bang for the buck and true capability for what is called a true sport utility vehicle. You'll spend closer to 60k for the Cayenne, but it'll get you from point a to point b in a lot more style and a whole lot faster than the other 2. I am a little biased, but I have to throw in my 2 cents.

Can you tell who I used to work for, have an obsession for (that can't be healthy), and want to go back to work for? Sad isn't it?
The new cadillac is not the Escalade, it's the SRX (link). Trying not to stereotype "moms" in general, I think she would be happiest in the new Caddy. It is a little more stationwagon like and sits closer to the ground than the other 2. Some SUV's are not built with women in mind and the Cayenne and X5 are 2 of them. The Caddy SRX, Lexus RX330 and Volvo XC90 were build with women in mind. I would steer her in that direction if you really want "her" to be happy instead of "you" to be happy.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:15 PM
Frozen Wannabe Oracle

Cayenne S with the air suspension will solve all height needs. It would be my pic because it looks least like a station wagon.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:28 PM
Instructor

The Caddy looks like a$$.

I would probably go with a nice X5, but the Porshe is nice, too.

My wife really wants an RX330. We had an RX300 until I was sucked into a 0% deal on a POS Jeep GC (which I will NEVER DO AGAIN!).

The RX300 performed flawlessly for 46000 Miles. The Jeep has been back for approximately 5 issues in 27,000 miles.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:10 AM
bleh...

tell her to get a Porsche Cayenne.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:48 AM
TSXASORISREX

She is now driving the rx300 but had a few problems with it. As well im working on the cayanne bit she also tried the volvo and hated it for some odd reason and the dealer by her in sarasota only had an x3 not and x5 so she is still workin on it thnaks for all your help i will give this info to her as well as make up stuff so she get the cayanne turbo with air suspension then make here send it to ruf. haha but seriously thanks guys
Old 01-29-2004, 08:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Buff-Daddy
The new cadillac is not the Escalade, it's the SRX (link). Trying not to stereotype "moms" in general, I think she would be happiest in the new Caddy. It is a little more stationwagon like and sits closer to the ground than the other 2. Some SUV's are not built with women in mind and the Cayenne and X5 are 2 of them. The Caddy SRX, Lexus RX330 and Volvo XC90 were build with women in mind. I would steer her in that direction if you really want "her" to be happy instead of "you" to be happy.
Have you seen what that thing costs when you get it decently equipped? It's based on the CTS platform, and costs over 50k to get a decent package with a V8. That's sick. Not to mention the appearance.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:00 AM
Bound for Europe

X5 all the way

I'm still wondering how anyone can take the Cayenne's front end styling seriously. That thing is butt. The wheels are puny as well.

Caddy not bad
Old 01-29-2004, 10:03 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
RX330............
Old 01-29-2004, 10:16 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
If your mom is considering the Cayenne she should also drive the VW Toureg. She might not care about the power difference.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Intermediate

X5 - if you must buy an SUV

The Caddy is a fine way to burn a pile of cash and come June it will be so 2003. Plus the thing will likely break. Also it's majorly white trash.

And the Cayenne - purlease - to call that thing ugly would be to flatter it, it's merely inept. it shows that Porsche has disappeared up its own arse if it is as arrogant as to foist that steaming turd onto the car buying public. Porsche believes its own press - time for a little healthy criticism i say.
Harm Lagaay, the Cayenne's designer, said "Americans seem to like it" - enough said. :-) Some folk would be a shopping cart if it had Porsche on the front.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:01 PM
Pro

Have you seen what that thing costs when you get it decently equipped? It's based on the CTS platform, and costs over 50k to get a decent package with a V8. That's sick. Not to mention the appearance.
And the comparably equipped X5 and Cayenne with V8's cost how much? That's right, well over 50k. I am not buying this ugly piece of crap for me, but he is asking about his mom. I already know that the X5 is the best because I have one. But I would never recommend it for my mom. It is too much of a drivers SUV, sits too high and there is not enough storage.

All things considered, the best SUV's for the money are the V6 VW Toureg, Lexus RX330 and Acura MDX. Styling is an argument that will never end. I hated the Cayenne and Toureg at first, but it is growing on me. However, the Cayenne is WAY too much power and performance to be wasted on someone’s mom.

The guy asked about his mom, not what we all want in our garage.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:39 PM
Suzuka Master

I wasn't making the implication that it (the Cayenne) would be the best recommendation in the class in my opinion. I was stating my opinions on the 3 that he listed. Of course, I also agree that the MDX and the Touareg are about the best in the class when it comes to the total value that is taken into consideration. Like I said before, this conversation was based on the selection of three cars provided. Not on "What would you buy with $50000?" I was really stating my opinion that there is no way that I (me, not anyone else) felt that the Cadillac wasn't worth the 50k it is listed for, and that I happen to like the Cayenne. Last I checked, we're all entitled our opinions, and I repect everyone's. Whether I share them or not.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:07 PM
Pro

I wasn't making the implication that it (the Cayenne) would be the best recommendation in the class in my opinion. I was stating my opinions on the 3 that he listed. Of course, I also agree that the MDX and the Touareg are about the best in the class when it comes to the total value that is taken into consideration. Like I said before, this conversation was based on the selection of three cars provided. Not on "What would you buy with $50000?" I was really stating my opinion that there is no way that I (me, not anyone else) felt that the Cadillac wasn't worth the 50k it is listed for, and that I happen to like the Cayenne. Last I checked, we're all entitled our opinions, and I repect everyone's. Whether I share them or not.
I'm not arguing with you, I was just saying that we were all stating out own opinions about which vehicle is best based on our own criteria rather than thinking about his mom who could be 5'2" and not be abel to see over the dash on some of these rides. Here is an article that some of you might find disturbing... SUV Comparison
If money was not an object, here is my order.

Porsche Cayenne Turbo
BMW X5 4.6 or 4.8 (coming)
Range Rover

Lower priced:

Lexus RX330
VW Toureg
Volvo XC90

I would never buy the Caddy or Infiniti FX35/45
Old 01-29-2004, 02:30 PM
Suzuka Master

No worries on the part about arguing. We're cool on that. As for the part about money not being an issue, I'd definately take the Cayenne Turbo first too. Second would probably also be the 4.6is (for the soccer mom with as many Bondurant certificates as me). I'm up in he air on the Rover though. I like that they have a whole lot of parts from Munich in it (after that short term of ownership under BMW), but it still is going to have tranny issues eventually. The Rover is still a sweet ride when you want a flash SUV.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:54 PM
Racer

MB G class
Old 01-29-2004, 03:05 PM
Photography Nerd

No worries on the part about arguing. We're cool on that. As for the part about money not being an issue, I'd definately take the Cayenne Turbo first too. Second would probably also be the 4.6is (for the soccer mom with as many Bondurant certificates as me). I'm up in he air on the Rover though. I like that they have a whole lot of parts from Munich in it (after that short term of ownership under BMW), but it still is going to have tranny issues eventually. The Rover is still a sweet ride when you want a flash SUV.
I don't think they make the 4.6is anymore.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:14 PM
Racer

No one consider MDX here? :P
Okok, Cayenne it is.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:12 PM
Instructor

Just curious....what problems has she had with the RX300?

I had an RX300 with 46000 miles with only one problem, a minor rattle that they fixed under warranty (at over 35K miles, which most brands would not cover a rattle at).
Old 01-30-2004, 08:09 AM
TSXASORISREX

The problems she had was at about 30k her sterring wheel would shake pretty bad when driving then when braking it would go nuts i never found out the cuase for the problem was it got fixed. Thier was one other minor thing i forgot what that was. The ebst part was how lexus striped her oil pan doing an oil change you ahve to love technicians not knowing what they are doing. the guy was not using anormal wrench but was using a torque wrench for the bolt the whole time (the only time u should use one is ina final checks to make sure the plug is on tight so you can here clicks). Other than that she liked her car.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:50 AM
The Voice of Reason

1.) The Porsche Cayenne Turbo is the undoubtedly finest SUV made today.

2.) But it's an SUV.

For the same money I'd buy a Subaru Forester XT Turbo 5M (crude, but FAST) AND a Porsche Boxster S 6M (not at all crude, but also fast).

Now, what was the question?

BTW, you know it's not the certified techs dealers - Acura dealers, too - have doing the oil changes, it's the HS dropout dopers. ("A bolt, a washer, a filter, oil, how could anyone POSSIBLY screw it up???")

The Lexus dealer should replace her oil pan.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:12 AM
TSXASORISREX

They did replace her oil pan and also my mom is not a speed racer she is a soccer mom who drives around my grandma and 10 year old sister around i dont think she wants a compact and plus she refuses too learn to drive stick.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:05 PM
Pro

Originally posted by bob shiftright
1.) The Porsche Cayenne Turbo is the undoubtedly finest SUV made today.

2.) But it's an SUV.

For the same money I'd buy a Subaru Forester XT Turbo 5M (crude, but FAST) AND a Porsche Boxster S 6M (not at all crude, but also fast).
1. "undoubtedly the finest SUV made today" What is this statement based on? Hopefully you were just talking about flat out speed, because I don't think it would win in any other category including handling, braking, towing, cargo area, gas mileage, price, etc...

2. Don't ever mention the Subaru Forester in the same sentance with a Porsche Cayenne Turbo. I know what you were trying to say, 2 cars for the price of 1, but still, a Subaru Forester? Good God, that is just wrong...
Old 01-30-2004, 01:08 PM
Photography Nerd

Originally posted by Buff-Daddy
1. "undoubtedly the finest SUV made today" What is this statement based on? Hopefully you were just talking about flat out speed, because I don't think it would win in any other category including handling, braking, towing, cargo area, gas mileage, price, etc...

2. Don't ever mention the Subaru Forester in the same sentance with a Porsche Cayenne Turbo. I know what you were trying to say, 2 cars for the price of 1, but still, a Subaru Forester? Good God, that is just wrong...
I know they aren't anywhere close when it comes to luxury or prestige, but performance wise they aren't that far off. Check out these stats:

Cayenne Turbo
$88,900
0-60=5.4sec
60-0=112'
Skidpad=0.85g
1/4=13.79@102.47
mpg=13city/18hwy
600' slalom=65.9mph

Forester 2.5XT
$24,970
0-60=5.3sec
60-0=121'
Skidpad=0.75g
1/4=13.8@97.0
mpg=18city/23hwy
600' slalom=?
Old 01-30-2004, 01:45 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Dan Martin
I know they aren't anywhere close when it comes to luxury or prestige, but performance wise they aren't that far off. Check out these stats:

Cayenne Turbo
$88,900
0-60=5.4sec
60-0=112'
Skidpad=0.85g
1/4=13.79@102.47
mpg=13city/18hwy
600' slalom=65.9mph

Forester 2.5XT
$24,970
0-60=5.3sec
60-0=121'
Skidpad=0.75g
1/4=13.8@97.0
mpg=18city/23hwy
600' slalom=?
And if you remove the standard "rainbow" sticker on the Subaru, you can decrease your drag and the numbers improve even more! I'm not questioning the performance of the Subaru, but I just don't understand how anyone could cross shop those 2 vehicles...
Old 01-30-2004, 01:51 PM
Suzuka Master

I can't see that ever happening either.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:03 PM
Photography Nerd

I'm not suggesting that anyone would. So here's the question, did Subaru just build a truely exceptional car or did Porsche miss the mark with the Cayenne when it comes to performance? What would the forester look like if they spent an extra $63,000 on luxury upgrades considering that the performance is very similar?
Old 01-30-2004, 02:07 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
For refinement and smoothness...RX330/GX470
For do everything but not great at any one thing with good value...MDX/VW T/Volvo XC90
For Sportiness and flair...X5
For power at a discounted price...FX45

I will stay away from the Cayenne till at least next yr and beyond. I work at Porsche...and let me tell you I have not one, not two but 3 Cayennes sitting in service waiting for new trannys...2 with software problems and 1 with a blown engine.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:11 PM
Photography Nerd

Originally posted by justinjsw
I will stay away from the Cayenne till at least next yr and beyond. I work at Porsche...and let me tell you I have not one, not two but 3 Cayennes sitting in service waiting for new trannys...2 with software problems and 1 with a blown engine.
Holy crap! I guess the VW "reliability" runs deep in that organization!
Old 01-30-2004, 02:16 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy crap! I guess the VW "reliability" runs deep in that organization!
Well I don't know about all that....the cayennes are a blast to drive...when they are drivable.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:15 PM
Pro

I'm not suggesting that anyone would. So here's the question, did Subaru just build a truely exceptional car or did Porsche miss the mark with the Cayenne when it comes to performance? What would the forester look like if they spent an extra $63,000 on luxury upgrades considering that the performance is very similar?
I think it is a little of both... However, there is NOTHING that Subaru could do to get me in the door. Call that what you want, but I could/would never buy one. Porsche is obviously entering new territiry with the Cayenne and therefore you are paying a little for all of the research and development that went into it. It's one heavy son-of-a-bitch too and it takes a lot of power to get that thing moving and to stop it once it is moving. Subaru just made a slightly taller wagon than they were used to building. Not a huge change for them, they do what they do well, they just do it UGLY!
I actually didn't like the Cayenne at first either, but it is growing on me, that might be where I am headed next time around.

Old 01-30-2004, 06:26 PM
Intermediate

wow, there is so no question here. wait a few months. the Toureg gets a V10 turbodiesel engine. and then you buy it. that's all you need to know. 330+HP and roughtly 540lbs/ft of torque. yeah. what's up now?
Old 01-30-2004, 07:50 PM
has been here awhile

I'd say the Touareg. Although the Porsche is growing on me some. A neighbor up here on the mountain has a Turbo and it sure does sound good driving up the hill. And it looks pretty darned good (the front at least). But the VW is an amazing SUV. I drove a V6 (they didn't have a V8 prepped) and it handled amazingly. It's nothing like the RX300 (previous gen, or current RX330). It handles like a teutonic German vehicle (as it well should). The ride is firm, yet very comfortable and smooth. The seats are amazing. The materials inside are phenomenal. It looks drop-dead gorgeous. The premium sound system is great. I'd take a Touareg over anything else out there currently (save for maybe the Cayenne). Definitely have her give the Touareg a look. She won't be disappointed.