Well, Putting the TSX out for sale TODAY! HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 08:37 AM
Oklahoma Sooners

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, Putting the TSX out for sale TODAY! HELP!!!!

Well I have to do it..... for financial reasons. You all have been cool to chat with and I've learned alot here and i'll still be hanging around. But I need your help!
The TSX w/Navi is 28,990 MSRP

I have 7,000 miles on mine the wood grain steering wheel (399$)
I put JL Audio 6 by 9's in the back (159$) and I have the all season floor mats (100$)..

What should I put the car out for??? I have to sell it because i'm getting a 94 Camry today and I need to sell quick!!! What's reasonable.....

I was thinking $25,999 would be a great price... COULD I GET MORE???????????

I"m in Hampton, VA by the way... THanks alot guys!
Old 10-16-2003, 10:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
how bout some more info, pics?...6 spd-auto?--color...PICS!
Old 10-16-2003, 10:50 AM
04 remembrance

7k miles? Usually they deduct .15 cents for every mile you have on the car, hence, 1050 should automatically be taken off what you're asking for..

honestly, i think 25,999 is asking for a bit too much, perhaps around the mid 24k area??
Old 10-16-2003, 11:20 AM
More On

Yeah, I agree. And be ready that it might have to be a little less. My guess would've been $23,500 to $24,000 (just a guess).

Sorry to hear about your having to make this move. Hope you will be staying around, RB -- and hope the Camry will serve you well. (It should.)

P.S. We'll be interested to hear the result, if you want to tell us.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:30 AM
Burning Brakes

In the SF Bay Area, most Hondas and Acuras enjoy fairly high resale value. It's not uncommon for dealers to ~ask~ nearly as much if not as much as the model year's MSRP a year or two down the road for cars with much more mileage. (Usually, in the years following the model year, the MSRP has risen.)

Furthermore, your car comes with Acura's warranty! It wouldn't hurt to ask for $27500. You can always go lower in a couple weeks if it doesn't sell.

Have you looked at the online Kelly Blue Book---www.kbb.com? Ooops. I see that the TSX isn't even on their list yet. They don't even have 2004 models yet.

How about www.edmunds.com/ ? Good Grief! They don't even have 2003 or 2004!!
Old 10-16-2003, 11:38 AM
Oklahoma Sooners

Well It's an Automatic and I owe 25,300$... I might not be selling it since ya'll are saying 23 and 24,000... I can't take the loss.... I'll put it in the paper and see what happens!
Old 10-16-2003, 11:49 AM
More On

Yeah, I agree with what Brad said about dealers "asking" close to MSRP for some used cars. But, a couple of things:

(1) As Brad implies, "asking" doesn't necessarily mean getting, and I'd bet usually in this kind of situation it doesn't.

(2) They pay probably at least a couple thou less than what they get.

Of course, selling privately you'll get more than the dealer would pay -- but probably less than the dealer would get.

Also: When we talk about certain kinds of cars (like Acuras) holding their value, that doesn't mean there isn't a hit right off the bat. (I'm sure this isn't news to RB.) The car's sale value does take a hit right away. The fact that the TSX is not very well known yet might affect the numbers a little bit too. And also realize that the Nav probably doesn't increase the sale value dollar-for-dollar, although it does increase it. Recently I did find a site (don't remember what it was) where trade-in values were given for the old TL and TL-S, including with and without Nav, and as I remember it, the Nav cars were estimated to be worth about $1400 extra.

As Brad said, nothing to lose by trying to get more (except some time). Again, sorry about the situation, and good luck whichever way you go.

Maybe we can help you make some money.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:41 PM
heywood j. ablowme

why not sell your other cars?
Old 10-16-2003, 12:51 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally, I'm never optimistic about resale values. I've seen friends sell Acura and Honda products over the last few years, and get far less than they wanted. A former girlfriend just sold an Integra with leather, and she wound up getting about 70% of initial asking price (which was actually a fair price).

I don't think you'll get more than $24,000 for your TSX, and of course you're also going to loose the money you spent on Taxes.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:19 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by rb4580
Well It's an Automatic and I owe 25,300$... I might not be selling it since ya'll are saying 23 and 24,000... I can't take the loss.... I'll put it in the paper and see what happens!
So I guess you don't really have to sell it like you originally said. So what is the real reason you are selling the car? Are you already tired of the car, you can't stand not having the newest toy on the block, or you really want the new TL? You need to face the fact that selling such a new (but used) car is going to cost you.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:37 PM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

You shoulda called me a couple months ago for a trade. I had a 1994 Camry.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:39 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by STL
So I guess you don't really have to sell it like you originally said. So what is the real reason you are selling the car? Are you already tired of the car, you can't stand not having the newest toy on the block, or you really want the new TL? You need to face the fact that selling such a new (but used) car is going to cost you.
Man, I have to say that I was lucky when I traded my Mazda6i in for my TSX in April. I got $21000, bought it for $22,400, for it (3 months and 3,130 miles old). I'm sorry to hear that you have to sell the car. Try selling it yourself, you might get lucky. Good luck!
Old 10-16-2003, 03:47 PM
More On

Originally posted by jumpper
Man, I have to say that I was lucky when I traded my Mazda6i in for my TSX in April. I got $21000, bought it for $22,400, for it (3 months and 3,130 miles old).......
That just might be the best anybody has ever done on this kind of turnaround, ever, in history.

How did you do it, jumpper? I wonder if part of it is maybe you got a STEEP discount when you bought it?
Old 10-17-2003, 02:58 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by larchmont
That just might be the best anybody has ever done on this kind of turnaround, ever, in history.

How did you do it, jumpper? I wonder if part of it is maybe you got a STEEP discount when you bought it?
I didnt know what I did, maybe I just got lucky. At first, my saleman thought that my Mazda6 was V6, so he gave me the quote of $24k for my car (that was my out of the door price on Mazda6). I didnt loose any money, so I told him that I'll pick up the TSX in the morning. Of course, I was not THAT lucky. The used car manager checked out my car and noticed that it was I4. They changed the paper work and offered me $20500. I said NO and walked out. The manager called me back and made a final offer of $21000. I wanted $21500, but I want TSX even more, so I said ok. I bought my TSX at MSRP, so they made alot of money out of that. I saw my Mazda6 on the used car lot for about 4 months (they put the price tag of $24000 on it !!! ). I dont know who would buy it for that price when you can get a new one at invoice now (about $22k). Well that's my story. I'm just lucky that's all.
Old 10-17-2003, 04:10 PM
Racer

Looking at Manheim auction prices only 1 has gone across the block and it had 550 miles on it and went for $27,700. I would guess private sale you could probably just $25,500 or so for it if you are patient and lucky. Might want to check with a dealer as well, since the TSX is a pretty hot item they might buy it from you.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:35 PM
More On

Originally posted by jumpper
I didnt know what I did, maybe I just got lucky. At first, my saleman thought that my Mazda6 was V6, so he gave me the quote of $24k for my car (that was my out of the door price on Mazda6). I didnt loose any money, so I told him that I'll pick up the TSX in the morning. Of course, I was not THAT lucky. The used car manager checked out my car and noticed that it was I4. They changed the paper work and offered me $20500. I said NO and walked out. The manager called me back and made a final offer of $21000. I wanted $21500, but I want TSX even more, so I said ok. I bought my TSX at MSRP, so they made alot of money out of that. I saw my Mazda6 on the used car lot for about 4 months (they put the price tag of $24000 on it !!! ). I dont know who would buy it for that price when you can get a new one at invoice now (about $22k). Well that's my story. I'm just lucky that's all.
Interesting story. You know, I think you did a lot better than it seems like you think you did -- it's very unusual to get back that much of the original cost. A lot of it is because you were so strong about your position, but even so I don't think it would have happened except that they were going to make such a nice profit on selling you the TSX that they were willing to overpay for the Mazda (which it seems they did, technically) -- because it was all part of the same deal and they knew they were doing OK on an overall basis.

Nobody should expect normally to do this well on a quick-turnaround trade-in or private sale. This was a special situation.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:16 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by larchmont
Interesting story. You know, I think you did a lot better than it seems like you think you did -- it's very unusual to get back that much of the original cost. A lot of it is because you were so strong about your position, but even so I don't think it would have happened except that they were going to make such a nice profit on selling you the TSX that they were willing to overpay for the Mazda (which it seems they did, technically) -- because it was all part of the same deal and they knew they were doing OK on an overall basis.

Nobody should expect normally to do this well on a quick-turnaround trade-in or private sale. This was a special situation.
No one believes me when I told them my story, but I did it. My friend just got 2003 Accord EX-L I4 for about 3 months and 3,400 miles. I took her to see the new TL at my dealer. She wanted to know what she would get for her car if she trades it for TL. My saleman offered her $20k (she bought her accord for $22,300).