weird noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 08:31 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weird noise

Hey guys, so yesterday i was driving at night, nothing special, wasn't speeding, nor had hit any demonic potholes in these streets of Chicago.

All of a sudden, I heard something scrapping, like metal scrapping on the floor or something I thought something fell off my car and was getting dragged. got out and looked all around and under and everything seemed fine. started driving again and it was still scrapping while driving. it was a very loud continuous sound (metal on metal grinding noise) was still driving home for like 2-3miles or so and screeched while driving that entire time.

I dont think it's my brake pads because I assume those only make screeching noises when I pump the brake. it was from my driver side rear wheel. I kept looking but nothing seemed out of the ordinary (but then again i dont really notice whats different even if there were something there)

any clues what were wrong???
Old 02-19-2010, 12:53 PM
Instructor

Is the noise gone today?

To eliminate the brake wear indicators, visually check (the dealer says "inspect") the thickness of your brake pads -- and see if any of them need to be changed. The noise sounds like it could be a brake wear indicator rubbing against a rotor -- as it was designed to do.

Remote possibility it could be a wheel bearing. Jack up each wheel, one at a time with a good floor jack (not the jack that came with the car), spin the wheel, and see if you get any noise or too much resistance. If a rear wheel drags, check the adjustment on the emergency brake.

It is possible that one of the pistons in the brake calibers is sticking and not allowing the brake pads to return to their normal position.

Remove possibility it could be a bad CV joint. Jack up one front wheel, on a solid jack with a solid base, and start the engine. Put the car in gear and accelerate to 15 MPH (DO NOT EXCEED 15 MPH). Remain in the car and be ready to hit the brakes in case the car comes off the jack. Do you get the noise. Be sure to hit the brakes (press gently, not hard) and stop the spinning wheel before changing gears. Now, do the other front wheel.

Your description suggests that the noise is likely coming from one of the wheel assemblies.

Let's us know the resolution when you find it.

Last edited by JimHolloman; 02-19-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:37 PM

Weird, I once had what seems to be the same noise. (About 4 Months Ago)

I was driving down a side street at about 20mph and got out and looked, saw nothing. Pulled out onto the main road up to 50mph and it went away and haven't heard it since.

I even asked someone to look at the car and he couldn't find anything that would cause any scrapping. It's still a mystery.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:44 PM
Intermediate

thanks for the tip jimholloman, the noise went away and I still dont have a clue what happened. I still need to get it checked out before i keep driving because it was a scary.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wubby
thanks for the tip jimholloman, the noise went away and I still dont have a clue what happened. I still need to get it checked out before i keep driving because it was a scary.
My best guess, and it is only a guess, would be a brake wear indicator rubbing.

Since the noise is gone, it was probably not something that would leave you stranded. But, don't be surprised if it returns in a few days -- or a few weeks. If it does, have a mechanical check it out -- with the brakes being a prime suspect.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:29 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
FYI, if your brake pads are due for changing, the brake pad indicator will emit a noise even during non-braking. It will vibrate and make that sound.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:39 AM
10th Gear

possibly u rolled over a twig that got caught inside the wheel? I had that happen once and it made an awful metal grinding sound.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:42 PM
SNAFU

I had an issue with the plastic guards under the wheel wells rubbing against the tires. I think it was loosened up when I hit a pothole or something. Look under the front wheel wells for any sign of friction. Mine would only rub at highway speeds. I had my insurance company replace the damaged pieces.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:50 AM
8th Gear

Had the exact same thing happen 2 me, ended up being my rear brakes were due 4 a replacement.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Addict

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me. It was the Rotor Cooling/dirt guard rubbing on the inside of your rotor. When the rotors cool, you can use your hand to bend it back. Most likely from running over some derbies.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by racecarbox616
I had the EXACT same thing happen to me. It was the Rotor Cooling/dirt guard rubbing on the inside of your rotor. When the rotors cool, you can use your hand to bend it back. Most likely from running over some derbies.
Huh?
Old 02-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by racecarbox616
i had the same happen before, i just use a stick to push the guard away from rotor a bit and noise went away.
another possibility is the brake retainer deform and is scratching the rotor.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:52 PM
TSX 2005 Manual

Had the same thing happen too...twice. Crazy metal scrapping sound. Then it went away. Absolutely no clue!
Old 02-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Advanced

I had the same type of noise. It turned out to be the brake shield (i think that is what its called). It's that metal plate which is behind your brake rotors. For some reason it would rub on my rotor causing that metal on metal noise. I bent it back from my rotor and the sound went away.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Intermediate

Thanks guys! this was very helpful. I've been extra nervous driving since it happened, now i can relax my mind a little. =)